Embarking on full sugar detox and in need of support - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Veggiehelp
  • 1 Post By Ger Jonker
  • 1 Post By FArQ

#1 Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Embarking on full sugar detox and in need of support

As a vegetarian trying my best I am now tackling my sugar addiction and I'm pretty anxious as I've never done this before. Anyone else successfully or unsuccessfully done this?
VeggieTalk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think there is any one way to go about this. I've gone without sugar for months before relapsing. I really do see it as any other addiction--like cigarettes. I avoided all processed foods, following Dr Michael Gregers daily dozen food list like a champ! I felt better than I thought possible- no arthritis at all, no allergies, felt like I could ditch my asthma meds. But, like cigarettes, I said oh, I'll just a little.....and I was chomping sugar like a kid at Halloween

Now, not everyone seems to be so extreme. Some people seem to do find with moderation, but I don't think they ever feel how good eating truly whole can feel

I'm now restocking my produce and whole grains and going back on the wagon. I haven't had a cig in 16 years so I know it can be done!

https://veganuary.com/starter-kit/dr...zen-checklist/

I also found the book Fat Sugar Salt about how industries worked so hard to get us addicted. Anytime someone says 'you're too extreme' I ask them to think about how the processed foods are made and how is THAT not extreme?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 AM

Silva - this is very helpful thank you. So happy because you state how hard it is with sugar. I think millions of people are actually addicted but dont see it like that. Only in last 2 months have I come to understand I have a true addiction to sugar. I'll definitely look at the dozen list. I'm doing the sugar detox wirh help of Mindvalley community if you have heard of them? What I am thinking is that if I combat the sugar addiction it will also help me on my path of being a vegetarian eating better for health as well as ethical reasons. Good luck with your sugar detox too 😀
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggiehelp View Post
As a vegetarian trying my best I am now tackling my sugar addiction and I'm pretty anxious as I've never done this before. Anyone else successfully or unsuccessfully done this?
I've pretty much done it, and I've got quite the sweet tooth. I now satisfy my sweet tooth by adding maple syrup to the bowl of buckwheat that I usually have for breakfast every morning. I also add an unsweetened non-dairy beverage to it, as well as some blueberries if I have them. During the day, I like to eat fruits quite often. I especially like to eat Ambrosia apples and watermelon. At night, when my sweet tooth is most intense, I often eat a handful of dates just before I go to bed. I have them then because dates seem to able to keep me regular the next morning in the No. 2 department (if you know what I mean -- lol).

As for the coffee and tea that I drink, I sweeten those with stevia. Stevia is derived from the leaves of an all-natural plant, contains 0 calories and is safe for people who have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Be careful what brand you buy though. Not all stevia products are what they say they are because some brands like to sneak in some rather unhealthy ingredients like dextrose. Anyway, I prefer sweetening my coffee and tea with SweetLeaf's stevia tabs. Check out: https://sweetleaf.com

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
#5 Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Give peas a chance

I'm on day 4 without processed sugar. I'm a yo-yo. I probably go half the year without processed sugar, but it's a few days off then a few days on. My longest streak is 5 months.

What works for me: keep a lot of fruit in the house. When I eliminate the added sugars for an extended period of time, my taste perception of fruit changes, and it seems much sweeter. Then I don't feel like I need to add sugar.

- I'll freeze grapes when they are in season.
- Super ripe bananas are good for making 'one-ingredient ice cream' and fudgsicles
- Make popsicles from bananas, melons, cherries, berries, pineapple, etc
- I'll make my own energy bars out of nuts and raisins/dates.
- Peanut butter apples are my favorite
- Medjool dates get really chewy when frozen.
- This recipe for sugar free vegan brownies from Dr Fuhrman is really good:
https://www.veganamericanprincess.co...bean-brownies/

To drink, I like Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea, with a splash of Trader Joes Unsweetened Soy Milk. I think it tastes like pumpkin pie, but a little sweet, even though there's no sugar in it.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 09-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Most days (not all) I just have no taste for sugar. I try not to buy sugar stuff, although my wife request it from time to time. I know that sugar is very addictive, and I have been there. But, I also know that it's terrible for you. The last couple of physicals that I have had showed that I was eating too much sugar, and I don't want to be on a statin..so, sugar is the enemy.
#7 Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

As I mentioned in my previous post on this thread, I have successfully almost completely given up consuming sugar. I decided to abstain from sugar to fulfill a New Year's resolution that I had made a couple years ago. I remember that I started my cessation odyssey by not putting sugar in any of my coffees and teas. I sweetened them with stevia instead. I didn't change my diet much in any other way, nor did I exercise any more than usual. After a little more than three months, I lost 20 lbs. as a result. I've never gained it back either.

Today I rarely eat sugar at all. I remember my wife treating me to a small piece of her dark chocolate on Valentine's Day, but that's about it. Anyway, if SweetLeaf's stevia products are too expensive for you, then maybe you would like to try Wholesome's vegan stevia products. They're much cheaper. I buy them too.

Check out: www.wholesomesweet.com
Mojo likes this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Ger Jonker; 09-25-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: link correction
#8 Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

That Sugar Film

Here's a movie that may influence you to embark on your own sugar detox.

Official Trailer:

#9 Old 10-26-2018, 10:07 PM

I find the slow life style changes to be the most effective.

Going hysterical and dumping it all down the toilet - usually does not work...

As a for instance... You can buy pure stevia powder extract, and start substituting that in your coffee and tea... and everything else... About a match heads worth is abotu 40mg or the equivalent in sweetness to one heaped teaspoon of sugar....

Instead of eating 4 icing coated donuts a day, eat a salad roll with everything in it first - and really go big on the nutrition, and then AFTER than have 2 or 3 donuts...

Instead of drinking 10 cans of Coke a day, start drinking veggie juice, and water and tea and coffee sweetened with Stevia... and only drink say 8 cans a day.... and just work on slow reductions over time...

With Coke, you can always buy kola nut or sarsparilla root, or sassafrass bark (if you live in Tasmania), vanilla pods, ginger root, powder / shred / grind / mince the ingredients, boil it up in some water and add some stevia and then carbonate it...

You can make iced black teas with a little lemon juice, or iced coffee etc...

Or just make a regular tea or coffee and let it go cold.... Get a few pickle jars that hold a litre or so and make your cool refreshing drinks up like that.

My mail drinks are plain water, a dash of lemon or lime juice and about 100 or so mg of ascorbic acid to bump up the Vitamin C - in about 1.5 litres of water - that is my main thirst quenching hot weather drink....

Just be sensible.
Ger Jonker likes this.

Last edited by FArQ; 10-26-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page