• 3 Post By nikki haley
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM

shouldn't we plant billions of trees now? because

there are more than 2000 species of trees

with edible fruits and nuts and berries

trees produce 21 Million calories per acre

trees produce oxygen and food and timber and wealth.

cows produce 1 Million calories per acre

cows produce Methane which is

30 times higher effect heat-trapping greenhouse gas.
Ger Jonker, Mr. H. and mainer like this.

Last edited by nikki haley; 05-03-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely. There are quite a few research papers that do the math. I won't even list them here because there are so many. you can just google it.

But the more people who go beef free, meat free, or vegan, the less cropland we need.
Some people will point out that not all pasture land is arable land. But a lot of our arable land is devoted to growing food for livestock. And in Brazil, they are actually converting rain forests to either grassland for grazing or crop production for livestock. And both of those are not sustainable.

Of course we have to factor in population growth but most of these calculations point out that the more vegan we get the more people we can feed with less land. So planting forests would be one of the good options we would have.
#3 Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki haley View Post

there are more than 2000 species of trees

with edible fruits and nuts and berries

trees produce 21 Million calories per acre

trees produce oxygen and food and timber and wealth.

cows produce 1 Million calories per acre

cows produce Methane which is

30 times higher effect heat-trapping greenhouse gas.

This is a fascinating topic.

I'm having difficulty finding crop calories/acre data from reputable sources. There are several blogs which present these numbers, but they don't reference any primary research studies.

I did find 1 study from the USDA, but it's from the year 1917: https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/ORC00000242/PDF . Agricultural yields have improved during the last 100 years. Nevertheless, this study states that beef can provide only 130,000 calories per acre per year. This number is very different from that in the OP's post.

Can someone provide links to primary research?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-05-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Ponyo

There are places where we must plant many trees because humans have too cut them. But they must stop to cut them also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Veggie since my 3 years old and I love climatology.
#5 Old 05-12-2018, 01:58 AM

Go Green!

Yes I believe we should plant trees as they are an essential part of our lives and most of our basic necessities are met by them. So there is no question indeed we should take a pledge to plant as many trees as we can.
#6 Old 12-18-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
Absolutely. There are quite a few research papers that do the math. I won't even list them here because there are so many. you can just google it.

the more people who go beef free, meat free, or vegan, the less cropland we need.
Some people will point out that not all pasture land is arable land. But a lot of our arable land is devoted to growing food for livestock. And in Brazil, they are actually converting rain forests to either grassland for grazing or crop production for livestock. And both of those are not sustainable.

Of course we have to factor in population growth but most of these calculations point out that the more vegan we get the more people we can feed with less land. So planting forests would be one of the good options we would have.
yes

Last edited by nikki haley; 12-18-2018 at 07:33 AM.
#7 Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Impeach the gangster

Good idea!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

About @Mr. H. 's comment that not all pasture land is arable: that's true, of course. And even arable land sometimes suffers from erosion. One thing about trees is that they're a form of permaculture. Managing them to produce food might require different techniques than plowing, etc, but it's an alternative way to produce food from land which might not be suitable for tilling.

I grow vegetables such as tomatoes, beans, kale, and mustard greens of course, as well as some perennial herbs. But here's something special about my black walnut and peach trees which started growing without my having deliberately planted them, as well as my flowering quince bush and the wild grapevine I used to have. The squirrels planted the walnut, and I unintentionally planted the peach. (The grape was growing along the picket fence between my property and my neighbors', but tips of branches kept growing in-between the slats and would damage the fence as the branches got older and thicker... so I had to dig it up. I miss it though. Those grapes were very tangy, and once I picked some leaves to make stuffed grape leaves.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 AM

Yes, of course, trees are important for our lives. Because of the trees, we are getting fresh air. Trees play a crucial role in removing carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas, and surviving air pollution is possible. Every year 50,000 square miles of forest is cut down, worldwide. Trees provide food, protection and home for many birds and mammals. Many species of wildlife depend on trees for the natural environment.

Trees have the most contribution to our environment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page