Meat craving after a long time..... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Question Meat craving after a long time.....

Hello all,

I have been a vegetarian for 22 yrs now. I've had periods of vegan, even raw and enjoyed it all.

I always told myself if I ever wanted a steak, I would just do it guilt free. In all seriousness, I still think it smells good but the longer I've been veg, the less I've been interested.

So my odd admission, I am suddenly thinking about meat. I have dreamed about it! Its been so ridiculous I went to the store and stared at steak...and I thought, dang, its $$$ anymore and I have a bad feeling if I were to do it, I'm going to take a bite and wish I hadn't.

Someone accidentally slipped me some chicken in a wrap some years ago and I remember thinking why does anyone even eat this stuff, its takes like nothing, LOL.

I am wondering if there are any long time veg heads out there that have experienced this. Can anyone relate or have an idea as to why?

I'm not interested in meat, I did have my very first surgery a couple of months ago and I am still healing but its going well.

I really do not think it is a protein issue? I say that as I've trained/performed endurance sports for decades and I never ran into a protein deficiency and I've done some brutal stuff, LOL

So....any thoughts? My "craving" has been with me for about a month now. I'm clueless, maybe someone has some insight?

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

HappyVeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Longtime vegetarian

I don't think it's unusual to have cravings for meat, no matter how long you've been veg*n. It's ACTING on it that's the problem! But note that this is *MY* opinion only; others may feel quite differently.

For me, having turned vegetarian after years of eating--and loving the taste of--meat, I occasionally catch a whiff of something, like a neighbor barbecuing meat, and it still smells good to me. Does it make me want to go back to eating meat? No, not at all. For me, if I went to the market and stared at a steak, it would just make me want to cry thinking about how that was the flesh of a living, beautiful, sentient being, and now it's sitting there all neatly sliced and packaged like any other product. But it's not any other product. It's flesh. Perhaps if you think of it that way it will kill the cravings.
#3 Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

A guess would be it could be psychological. Nostalgia/memory of some sort.

I agree with the above post.

I still haven't gone fully vegan and I have occassionally eaten something with chocolate in it or as milk as an ingredient, and I sometimes get this image in my head of a stern looking cow staring at me judgementally!
Capstan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

I get memories of food I used to eat, but never crave the meat, just want to find ways to get the same kind of tastes and textures. Making seitan is quite the hobby for me, and I think it's better in every way than eating anyones flesh! I certainly never ate raw, or unseasoned meat, so seitan, or other processed foods, gives me everything I could crave.
What are your reasons for being vegetarian? I find it odd that you would consider meat a food choice after 22 years!

I first went veg as a teen, then after marriage and having kids I got sucked back into the conventional eating as I wasn't strong enough in my convictions, or even fully convinced my kids would be better off. When I finally got my act together and realized there was NO good reason to eat animal products it just became horrific. I remember the time I got chicken in a sandwich. It was not tasteless but vile. I pick food apart as I recall the bile that raced up my throat in reaction to the flesh

What is your diet typically like? Is your surgery relevent to your food choices?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 PM
Impeach the gangster

I've been vegan 23-years; vegetarian, a little longer. All this time, I've depended on the 'mock' meats as part of my diet. It's hard to imagine being successful at veg*nism, without its help. I was a hard-core meat-eater for 40-years. My earliest memories are bound up with carnivorousness. Everything I learned growing up was as a meat-eater. Certain flavors- and combination of flavors- is hard to forget, such as, a juicy 'burger with all the fresh trimmings. It's hard to shake.

Have you considered indulging some in the substitute meats to satisfy your cravings? They're getting better at it.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 02-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Longtime vegetarian

I agree with Capstan regarding meat substitutes. I've been veg for 30 years but rely on meat substitutes from Morningstar Farms, Gardein, and other companies for my main protein. Personally, I don't like veggie burgers that attempt, or claim, to mimic real meat; none that I've ever tried lived up to that claim. I prefer the flavored burgers and I absolutely love crumbles! They're great for everything from tacos to spaghetti, and the best part is that meat eaters can't even tell they're eating vegetarian food.
#7 Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Loved the Beyond Burger!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 02-15-2018, 02:32 AM

Ironically the meat substitutes I like do not taste anything much like meat hehehe.

Meat taste is revolting to me.

I can relate in that my life without milk substitutes (especially soy milk) and margarine substitutes (here in Aus we have Nuttelex which is perfect for me) would be dull indeed.
#9 Old 02-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhilosophicalGent View Post
I can relate in that my life without milk substitutes (especially soy milk) and margarine substitutes (here in Aus we have Nuttelex which is perfect for me) would be dull indeed.
I use both soy and almond milk: Silk Very Vanilla soy milk for cereal, oatmeal, drinking, and coffee, and Silk Dark Chocolate almond milk for drinking. I've been using I Can't Believe it's not Butter as my margarine for quite some time, but they've recently added a vegan version. Nice!
#10 Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
I don't think it's unusual to have cravings for meat, no matter how long you've been veg*n. It's ACTING on it that's the problem! But note that this is *MY* opinion only; others may feel quite differently.
I don't disagree, I just never craved meat in all of these years. I still like the smell too but I suspect what I am really after is the seasonings...combined with garlic and salt. I love salt, LOL

I tend to agree with you and coincidentally I "ran into" a calf and he was...the sweetest, friendliest thing with big fluttering eyelashes. I walked away covered in dust and his hair and it kills me to think he's doomed.

No, I don't see myself following through with actually eating meat, I just want this silly "craving" to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
What are your reasons for being vegetarian? I find it odd that you would consider meat a food choice after 22 years! What is your diet typically like? Is your surgery relevent to your food choices?
Started veggie for health reasons as a younger person. Go figure, it worked! After I committed to a healthy diet I started learning about factory farming, etc. I grew up rural and our meat came from the local farmer. I was horrified, I remember going white faced seeing the early PETA videos ((shudder)).....back in the day on "dial up" Internet.

But I'm the kind that needs to know so I went to a chicken slaughterhouse/processor and it was the PETA video combined with the smell and reality of suffering critters. Un-real. I feel everyone that eats meat should be required to see it first hand. Ugh, I had planned a visit to a cow/pig but I didn't want the images in my head, I'd seen enough with the chickens.

I think it is a food choice just a very unappealing, unhealthy and unnecessary one. I was also rather turned off to be honest by some encounters early on with veg folks in my community, they were very committed and aggressively advertising their choices. Strangely, several of these were the first folks to go back to meat, because they were protein deficient (The standard excuses for changing one's mind or eating poorly).

Anyway, simply put I felt if I "fell of the wagon" and decided to eat a steak, that did not mean I would not be allowed back on the veg train. I found it puzzling with these folks that you are either hard core veg OR diving head first into organ meats.

I have no dietary restrictions from my surgery but I have lost some weight. Maybe this is calorie related?

My diet is good, I eat a variety and make my food. I'm teaching a vegan nutrition and cooking class to a group of folks who have health issues.

On a side note ... I'm so proud of them, their cholesterol is plummeting as is their weight. Best part is these long time meat eaters LIKE the food and they are making it at home. Yup, these older folks are making vegan sushi, lentil "meat" loaf, falafel and having fun.

(says the meat craving traitor, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I've been vegan 23-years; vegetarian, a little longer. All this time, I've depended on the 'mock' meats as part of my diet. It's hard to imagine being successful at veg*nism, without its help. Have you considered indulging some in the substitute meats to satisfy your cravings? They're getting better at it.
I'm embarrassed to say I had not considered this.... I very rarely eat fake products, nor seitan ....Good idea! I'll give this a shot.

Hmm, haven't made seiten in ages but the home made is so so much better. My class apparently found some in a jar and it was revolting...I'll have to show them it can be good, LOL

Thanks all, I appreciate the discussion and suggestions. Just discussing this with like minded folks will likely help and visiting the critters is always a bucket of cold water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page