Lab grown meats! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By poivron
  • 2 Post By AspiringBuddha
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By silva
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Lab grown meats!

What are your thought about lab grown meat, it doesn't harm animals.

Does our body really need it or is it for pleasure purposes?

give me your thoughts guys
WilliamLim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,933
We're all vegetarian here, we're living proof we don't need it!
For most of us, our cholesterol has gone done, with overall improvement, blood pressures normalized, just overall health benefits. Besides the starter threads about skin problems, headaches..that never seem to return, people benefit from giving up meat and animal products.
There are some who have such broad allergies it makes it difficult. If you're allergic to nuts, soy, wheat and beans - you will have an issue giving up meat! Then again, some are allergic to meat!

I'm certainly in favor of this research--I have cats from years of rescue. I will say, the plant based meats from Beyond Meat, like the Beyond Burger, have garnered fantastic reviews from meat eaters, without stem cell culture!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#3 Old 12-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,933
I don't know if I'd call it pleasure- more just tradition, and normalization
I tried natto once and asked someone from China that had grown up eating it how they can eat it, she responded that she couldn't imagine anyone that wasn't brought up eating it ever liking it. I think that's just like meat
David3 likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
poivron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I don't know if I'd call it pleasure- more just tradition, and normalization
I tried natto once and asked someone from China that had grown up eating it how they can eat it, she responded that she couldn't imagine anyone that wasn't brought up eating it ever liking it. I think that's just like meat
I like natto, and I was 20 when I first tasted it. It's delicious (if you eat it the way it's meant to be eaten), and very healthy. The only reason I don't have it more often is that it usually comes in tiny styrofoam containers, which are horrible for the environment, and because it's really hard to find a brand that doesn't include a sauce made with fish.

Anyway, natto is nothing like meat. It's made from beans, and it's very healthy. It seems very unfair to compare it to meat.

Last edited by poivron; 12-03-2017 at 09:08 PM.
poivron is offline  
#5 Old 12-04-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by poivron View Post
I like natto, and I was 20 when I first tasted it. It's delicious (if you eat it the way it's meant to be eaten), and very healthy. The only reason I don't have it more often is that it usually comes in tiny styrofoam containers, which are horrible for the environment, and because it's really hard to find a brand that doesn't include a sauce made with fish.

Anyway, natto is nothing like meat. It's made from beans, and it's very healthy. It seems very unfair to compare it to meat.
Wow. I wanted to like natto SO much! I thought it was the worst tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth.
I tried it with all kinds of acidic foods, including spicy kimchi. I couldn't do it.

How do you eat it?

And they all came in those stryofoam containers- I searched about a dozen different ones before finding one without some kind of fish or something else.

Natto does seem like a prize food and I'd love to be able to eat it.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#6 Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
poivron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Wow. I wanted to like natto SO much! I thought it was the worst tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth.
I tried it with all kinds of acidic foods, including spicy kimchi. I couldn't do it.

How do you eat it?

And they all came in those stryofoam containers- I searched about a dozen different ones before finding one without some kind of fish or something else.

Natto does seem like a prize food and I'd love to be able to eat it.
OK, I'm afraid I was over-exuberant in my previous post. According to the Japanese, half of Japanese people like natto, and the other half hate it. It almost sounds like the difference between the two groups may be genetic or biological. The people who hate natto may be able to smell something in natto that those who like natto are insensitive to. You might just be in the former group.

Here is how I like to eat natto. First, cook sushi rice Japanese style. When it's ready, take a sheet of nori (seaweed) and break it up into pieces roughly 1 inch by 2 inches. Put the natto in a small container; add a small amount of soy sauce and yellow mustard (you're supposed to use the kind you make from the powder), as well as some chopped scallions (optional), and stir. It's important not to stir too much, since that would make the natto foamy and gross. Stir just long enough to mix the sauce into the natto. Put hot rice in a bowl. Transfer a small amount of natto to the top of the rice using chopsticks. Pick up a piece of nori, and place it on top of the natto. Then use the chopsticks to pick up the nori, with the natto, and some rice underneath. The long side of the nori should be perpendicular to your chopsticks, so that what you pick up is like a small sushi roll that hasn't been rolled up completely. Eat the roll. Repeat by adding a bit more natto to the top of the rice.

(I lived with a Japanese host family in Japan for two months when I was 20. That's when I learned to eat natto this way. I really hope this works for you..)

After I made my previous post, I looked into buying natto in bulk in the U.S., and here is what I found:
http://www.nyrture.com/buy-natto/
I'm going to get some the next time I'm in New York. I'm so excited!
silva likes this.
poivron is offline  
#7 Old 12-05-2017, 04:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: U.S. Midwest
Posts: 60
I want laboratory meat for my cat, but I don't think I'd be interested in it for myself. Meat isn't food to me any more. I still have some guilt over all the years I spent eating animals and at this point I don't think I could choke it down.
silva and kyr656 like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
AspiringBuddha is offline  
#8 Old 12-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
I want laboratory meat for my cat, but I don't think I'd be interested in it for myself. Meat isn't food to me any more. I still have some guilt over all the years I spent eating animals and at this point I don't think I could choke it down.
The meat grown in a laboratory doesn't necessarily need to have anything to do with animals. I would cheerfully eat a leedsvegburger.

leedsveg
leedsveg is offline  
#9 Old 12-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: U.S. Midwest
Posts: 60
I wouldn't have any moral quandary over eating an AspiringBuddha burger, but I'm not sure I could eat it.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
AspiringBuddha is offline  
#10 Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
I wouldn't have any moral quandary over eating an AspiringBuddha burger, but I'm not sure I could eat it.
Maybe we could swap burgers AB if that would make things more palatable? At 71, I'm probably older than you so you may well find my burger a bit chewy.

leedsveg
AspiringBuddha likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 12-06-2017 at 04:01 AM.
leedsveg is offline  
#11 Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,933
Hows this for a bad sci fi plot? A worker in the lab uses his own stem cells so he can pocket the funds used for animals. The sales surge, meat eaters find an uncanny desire for the created flesh. Strange cravings... Cannibal cravings..zombie cravings...?
AspiringBuddha likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#12 Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
Evolotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 30
It's not the case that it doesn't harm animals -- it only harms far fewer animals. Then there's the hypocrisy of conducting animal testing (in the case of Impossible Foods). Personally I'm not willing to throw laboratory animals under the bus to save farmed animals.

Is it better than animal farming? Of course. Is it ideal? No. Is it biologically necessary? Definitely not.

I also worry that these products would cause nonvegans to retain their taste for "real" meat, and continue to demand it. We have such great food science/technology now to make plants into meat analogs that are far more nutritious, sustainable, and affordable, I just don't see why we need to prolong human's lust for animal foods.
Evolotus is offline  
#13 Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 12
I'd say lab grown meat is a great idea for carnivorous pets, as their needs often come from factory farming too if I'm not mistaken...and that's something that has to go...but for peoples' consumption? Nah.

People are meant to be vegan, so we should be vegan. All lab grown meat would do in the case of people is let ones' tastebuds stay acclimated to the taste of flesh.
CodyJason is offline  
#14 Old 12-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJason View Post
People are meant to be vegan, so we should be vegan.
Not sure we are 'meant' to be anything. Are you saying that we were created by some kind of a designer? If so, are non-human animals also 'meant' to be vegan?
Quote:
All lab grown meat would do in the case of people is let ones' tastebuds stay acclimated to the taste of flesh.
I would have said that taking people away from traditional ie cruel meat, has to be a good thing, wouldn't you?

Lv
leedsveg is offline  
#15 Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Not sure we are 'meant' to be anything. Are you saying that we were created by some kind of a designer? If so, are non-human animals also 'meant' to be vegan?
I would have said that taking people away from traditional ie cruel meat, has to be a good thing, wouldn't you?

Lv
Re: the bold portion - Nope! I was referring to our teeth and digestive systems. They resemble those of a frugivore more than any other type, so it seems that that would be our "default setting" as compared to omnivore, herbivore, carnivore. I could be completely wrong, of course, but that's just my thoughts. As for non-human animals, they're meant (the "default setting" thing) to eat whatever diet their digestion is designed for. I wouldn't, for example, expect a lion to be a herbivore or an elephant to be a carnivore, because it's not what their natural diet is.

Re: the italicized portion - of course it would be, and I'm not objecting to humans taking advantage of lab grown meat, as it'd be much more preferable to factory farming...but we still don't actually need to eat it, unlike carnivores, and so many people would likely use it solely for pleasure...which may explode into going back to inhumane practices (supply/demand). Again, I could be completely wrong. Just my thoughts.
CodyJason is offline  
#16 Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJason View Post
Re: the bold portion - Nope! I was referring to our teeth and digestive systems. They resemble those of a frugivore more than any other type, so it seems that that would be our "default setting" as compared to omnivore, herbivore, carnivore. I could be completely wrong, of course, but that's just my thoughts. As for non-human animals, they're meant (the "default setting" thing) to eat whatever diet their digestion is designed for. I wouldn't, for example, expect a lion to be a herbivore or an elephant to be a carnivore, because it's not what their natural diet is.

Re: the italicized portion - of course it would be, and I'm not objecting to humans taking advantage of lab grown meat, as it'd be much more preferable to factory farming...but we still don't actually need to eat it, unlike carnivores, and so many people would likely use it solely for pleasure...which may explode into going back to inhumane practices (supply/demand). Again, I could be completely wrong. Just my thoughts.
Just a few random thoughts CodyJason. When you say "People are meant to be vegan" and refer to teeth and the digestive system, I think you really mean "People are meant to eat total plant foods" as veganism is about more than just what we eat.

Again when you talk of teeth and digestive system making frugivorism our "default setting", then whether I agree with you or not on this point, I have to say 'So what?'. You do seem to be appealing to "what is natural" (for humans). The fact that most people live reasonably long lives not following a frugivore diet I find very interesting/instructive. If our "default setting" for getting around is walking, does that mean that we shouldn't use other forms of transport such as cars, bicycles, aircraft?

It seems reasonable to assume though that the adoption of eating lab meat over eating "natural meat" will lead to an overall reduction in animal cruelty. This has to be a good thing doesn't it? At the moment, lab grown meat is very much in its infancy so the ramifications for people eating it are entirely theoretical. Maybe some would go back to eating "natural meat" but at the moment this has to be speculative, as would be their reason(s) for so doing.

Lv
Spudulika likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 12-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.
leedsveg is offline  
#17 Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,933
My two sons were brought up eating both meat and "faux" type meats. The older one had always preferred the taste and texture of faux.
People seem to really be enjoying Beyond Meats new burger, now they're coming up with sausage

I look forward to lab created cat food
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#18 Old 12-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLim View Post
What are your thought about lab grown meat, it doesn't harm animals.

Does our body really need it or is it for pleasure purposes?

give me your thoughts guys
I feel like if had to eat meat, I would rather eat a real animal. This lab grown meat is going to be so new, even if its "FDA" approved or whatever we really do not know the long term consequences.

However, I think this experiment/study may be good for organ farming in the future, for those who need transplants.

Anyways, I wouldn't eat it, you're going getting all the bad fats, cholesterol, and the consequences of scientists messing up with nature.
VeganPuffPuff is offline  
#19 Old 12-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganPuffPuff View Post
I feel like if had to eat meat, I would rather eat a real animal. This lab grown meat is going to be so new, even if its "FDA" approved or whatever we really do not know the long term consequences.

However, I think this experiment/study may be good for organ farming in the future, for those who need transplants.

Anyways, I wouldn't eat it, you're going getting all the bad fats, cholesterol, and the consequences of scientists messing up with nature.

I don't worry about this. I don't have to eat meat, so this choice doesn't apply to me.
.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off