VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   McVegan Burger Debuts at McDonald's (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/227346-mcvegan-burger-debuts-mcdonalds.html)

Werewolf Girl 10-06-2017 03:56 PM

McVegan Burger Debuts at McDonald's

http://vegnews.com/web/uploads/asset...onaldsSign.jpg

Quote:

International fast-food giant McDonald’s introduced the McVegan burger to the menu this week at its Tampere, Finland location. The vegan as-is burger is made with a soy patty and is served with an eggless “McFeast” sauce, while vegan French fries—baked in vegetable oil in a separate cooking pot—are available as a side. Christoffer Rönnblad, marking director of McDonald’s in Finland, told Finnish media outlet MTV that the burger is part of a trial to test for customer demand, and its success will determine whether McDonald’s introduces the plant-based option worldwide. “At least the feedback that we have quickly received, and what reception has been online yesterday and already the other day,” Rönnblad said, “it has been quite positive. We are going to be positive in this test.” In May, McDonald’s added the vegan-friendly “McVeggie”—made vegan by removing cheese—to its menus in locations across Norway.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?...=10185&catId=1

This is amazing news! I love the name. :lol:

blue_green_gold 10-08-2017 06:45 PM

I wonder if there is any chance that it is not fried on the same grill as the meat.

Anita Joyce 10-08-2017 08:59 PM

Wow. I am sure it is filled with processed soy and oil and likely as fattening as a beef burger BUT I am glad to see the option I guess. I still think supporting fast food establishments is not a great idea but that is just me.

Mr. H. 10-08-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anita Joyce (Post 4110640)
Wow. I am sure it is filled with processed soy and oil and likely as fattening as a beef burger BUT I am glad to see the option I guess. I still think supporting fast food establishments is not a great idea but that is just me.

I don't think it could be as un-healthy as a beef burger.
but why Finland. Are there a lot of vegans in Finland? I think if they wanted it to succeed they would put it in San Francisco.

APhilosophicalGent 10-09-2017 05:17 AM

Sounds interesting. Wish they'd make their normal fries vegan... but then I'm probably healthier consuming less fried potato products:P

Knowtions In Motion 10-09-2017 06:37 AM

They could veganize the whole menu and I'd likely still steer clear...of all fast food joints. I can't get the all too vivid memories of the stomach turning smells and the multiple events of me almost falling on their floors a few times from the slick greasy film that seems to remain, while also imagining the residue it left behind in my guts. In a pinch, with absolutely no other options, perhaps, but I think I'd rather fall back on my newfound abilities to fast before I'd choose to give them my money.

silva 10-09-2017 10:08 AM

I get that all health concious folks aren't going to McDonalds, either omni or veg, but we need to look at the introduction of a vegan more as an addition to their menu. It doesn't need to be marketed exclusively towards vegans, but to include them as well as give meateaters another choice. For omnis it would be a healthier choice. For veg'ns it would an option

If you don't like it don't go, your input isn't needed

Tom 10-09-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhilosophicalGent (Post 4110654)
Sounds interesting. Wish they'd make their normal fries vegan... but then I'm probably healthier consuming less fried potato products:P

Yep! At this point, potato fries (and potato chips- I guess they call those "crisps" in the UK) are about the only vegan junk food available to me these days which I would enjoy.

Knowtions In Motion 10-09-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4110672)
I get that all health concious folks aren't going to McDonalds, either omni or veg, but we need to look at the introduction of a vegan more as an addition to their menu. It doesn't need to be marketed exclusively towards vegans, but to include them as well as give meateaters another choice. For omnis it would be a healthier choice. For veg'ns it would an option

If you don't like it don't go, your input isn't needed

It's a public forum and unless it's specifically stated by the OP to only comment if you fully support and plan to partake in something, all opinions/input are welcomed, as far as I understand things, obviously as long as they aren't breaking the rules or spamming.

leedsveg 10-09-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion (Post 4110678)
It's a public forum and unless it's specifically stated by the OP to only comment if you fully support and plan to partake in something, all opinions/input are welcomed, as far as I understand things, obviously as long as they aren't breaking the rules or spamming.

I understood silva, when saying "your input isn't needed", was referring to going to McDonalds as an unhappy vegan customer, rather than adding a negative post to the thread. "Discouraging other members from posting" is against VB rules, not the kind of thing that an esteemed moderator like silva would get involved in.

Lv

silva 10-09-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion (Post 4110678)

There is nothing preventing you from making disparaging comments on the OPs encouraging news of more mainstreamed vegan offering.
I could as well tell you how awful your food choices sound, that I would have never become vegan if those were my only offerings, but I don't, not because it's prohibited, but it's not my place to be critical of your choices.
It seemed obvious to me that this wasn't a thread to voice opinions of personal criticisms of McDonalds, but rather the news that one of the largest fast food venues is considering vegans in their offerings.
I don't like McDonalds, but you can bet I'm thrilled! Why so many whole health plant based eaters feel such a need to disparage vegans gains is simply beyond me.

silva 10-09-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedsveg (Post 4110680)
I understood silva, when saying "your input isn't needed", was referring to going to McDonalds as an unhappy vegan customer, rather than adding a negative post to the thread. "Discouraging other members from posting" is against VB rules, not the kind of thing that an esteemed moderator like silva would get involved in.

Lv

I seriously don't feel I was discouraging anyone from posting, but I was suggesting that they didn't need to be critical on a obviously positive news story for vegans.

Capstan 10-09-2017 07:05 PM

It's a step in the right direction.

Anita Joyce 10-15-2017 01:22 PM

I think most countries beat the US in the area of healthy options (save for maybe California), many European countries have definitely been more health conscious than the US for a long time. We are just catching up.

oldmanveggie 10-15-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H. (Post 4110648)
I don't think it could be as un-healthy as a beef burger.
but why Finland. Are there a lot of vegans in Finland? I think if they wanted it to succeed they would put it in San Francisco.

It is rather strange.

I might have read somewhere that that particular part of Finland has a vegan community with established vegan venues.

But then again there are other countries around the world with greater numbers of vegans so why could they not have tested them there?

Doesn't McDonald's have different menus based on region of the country in America? I don't see why they couldn't have tried it out in San Diego or L.A., I guarantee it would have been a hit since a lot of people like McDonald's fries and those are vegan.

It probably won't come to the U.S. but I applaud their effort.

leedsveg 10-15-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanveggie (Post 4110784)
Doesn't McDonald's have different menus based on region of the country in America? I don't see why they couldn't have tried it out in San Diego or L.A., I guarantee it would have been a hit since a lot of people like McDonald's fries and those are vegan.

According to the interweb, McDonald's fries in the US currently have milk hidden in the ingredients so not vegan.

lv

silva 10-15-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedsveg (Post 4110790)
According to the interweb, McDonald's fries in the US currently have milk hidden in the ingredients so not vegan.

lv

I didn't know about dairy, but McDonalds fries still have beef as flavoring!
I've always thought they tasted like crap when I was omni

David3 10-15-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4110792)
I didn't know about dairy, but McDonalds fries still have beef as flavoring!
I've always thought they tasted like crap when I was omni

It's pretty funny/interesting. McDonalds fries (chips) have different recipes in different countries. In the UK, McDonalds fries are officially approved by the Vegetarian Society! https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/p...es-medium.html

McDonalds India has a "McAloo" burger (patty made from potatoes and peas), as well as a "Maharaja Mac" veggie burger:

oldmanveggie 10-15-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

lv

Hmm, did not know that!

Oh well, haven't eaten McD fries in a long time anyways.

But the McDonald's Canada site mentions that their fries are vegan. So it must vary depending on country/region as mentioned above.

Mr. H. 10-17-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

lv

McDonald's website says that their fries are not vegetarian or vegan.
They used to use beef lard in their french fry oil. but I think they stopped but not use some beef flavoring in their seasoning.

silva 10-17-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H. (Post 4110860)
They used to use beef lard in their french fry oil. but I think they stopped but not use some beef flavoring in their seasoning.

They're different in different countries. In US they do use beef flavoring-real beef

oldmanveggie 10-17-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H. (Post 4110860)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4110868)
They're different in different countries. In US they do use beef flavoring-real beef

Ugh, thanks for the heads up.

So far off the top of my head I know Del Taco (a west coast chain) has vegan crinkle style fries.

Now going to search online for more vegan friendly fries options.

ZonerGirl 10-17-2017 08:39 PM

I think if everyone boycotted fast food as an industry, factory farming would cave in on itself.

That being said, this is kind of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” of food..? Not the greatest idea, but a big step in the right direction. Anytime veganism is mainstreamed in any way at all makes us appear more normal, therefore more acceptable, more approachable, more likely to be able to persuade people to take a look into veganism.

oldmanveggie 10-17-2017 10:28 PM

Burger King and Chick Fil A have vegan fries

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...t-food-chains/

silva 10-18-2017 04:57 AM

Five Guys has my favorite fried in peanut oil! They also have malt vinegar!

Jamie in Chile 10-18-2017 10:46 AM

I'd like to see someone make a vegan big mac that tastes and looks virtually identical to an actual big mac and then sell it outside a Mcdonalds for the same price and then interview people there and film this and put it online. Although I also would not be surprised if someone has already done this.

Werewolf Girl 10-18-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile (Post 4110906)
I'd like to see someone make a vegan big mac that tastes and looks virtually identical to an actual big mac and then sell it outside a Mcdonalds for the same price and then interview people there and film this and put it online. Although I also would not be surprised if someone has already done this.

I love that idea! >:D

Purp 10-22-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile (Post 4110906)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl (Post 4110932)
I love that idea! >:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4110890)
Five Guys has my favorite fried in peanut oil! They also have malt vinegar!

You mean something like this?