The beef farmer rescuing his cows from the slaughterhouse - BBC NEWS - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
  • 7 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Emma JC
  • 4 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 3 Post By poivron
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 2 Post By mariogrow
  • 3 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By mariogrow

#1 Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

The beef farmer rescuing his cows from the slaughterhouse - BBC NEWS

Quote:
When his father died in 2011, Jay Wilde took responsibility of running the family farm. For years he has been concerned about the welfare of his cows and the environmental impact of beef farming. Today he’s doing something about it.
Click the link to watch the beautiful video: http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-...rhouse?SThisFB

This made me cry.
Purp, Spudulika, David3 and 4 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Click the link to watch the beautiful video: http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-...rhouse?SThisFB

This made me cry.

This guy is fantastic!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 07-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Emma JC

awesome video - thank you!!

Emma JC
Purp and David3 like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
person

Thank you for posting this, it is wonderful.

I read an article on another site about a woman who married a dairy farmer and it made her turn vegan so next time she heard the "red truck" arrive to pick up the babies for slaughter she wouldn't let them take them. She ended up buying the farm from her husband and turned it into a sanctuary for farm animals. The husband turned to veganism too.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

This made me cry.
Wonderful story. I'm curious, though. He said he'd grow organic vegan vegetables. Aren't all vegetables vegan? (about 1:06 into this clip)
Emma JC likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Wonderful story. I'm curious, though. He said he'd grow organic vegan vegetables. Aren't all vegetables vegan? (about 1:06 into this clip)
I think he means he won't use any animal products, such as animal-derived fertilizer, on his farm. Here is the full sentence, which makes this clearer:

"The plan is that we'll grow vegan organic vegetables and maybe field crops without any animal inputs."
Purp, Spudulika and Emma JC like this.
#7 Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by poivron View Post
I think he means he won't use any animal products, such as animal-derived fertilizer, on his farm. Here is the full sentence, which makes this clearer:

"The plan is that we'll grow vegan organic vegetables and maybe field crops without any animal inputs."
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

As others have said, he is doing it without using animal products. This is called Veganic Farming. I have seen a few bits about it in documentaries (I think Vegucated brings it up...) and if I can ever afford some land will be doing it myself.
Purp likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#9 Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Don't Eat Where You Sleep

What's a cow refuge?
Purp and BlueMts like this.
#10 Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Emma JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogrow View Post
What's a cow refuge?
example - http://www.thecowsanctuary.org/sanctuary.html

Emma JC
Purp, Spudulika and BlueMts like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)

Find a

#11 Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Don't Eat Where You Sleep

Ah! The doggy-door of course. Incredible website, but I had no idea that these places even existed. Thanks Emma JC
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page