Whey or Vegan Protein Powder from environmental standpoint - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Question Whey or Vegan Protein Powder from environmental standpoint

Hello everybody

i'm lifting wheights as a hobby for years and supplement protein, whey protein usually.

I just got a Vegan Protein Powder for the first time, mainly for environmental but also for animal protection reasons.

What is your opinion - Whey (or others) compared to Vegan Protein powder:

- environmental standpoint
- animal protection (IMO: even though whey is a byproduct, it's still part of the animal processing machinery)

I look forward to your opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM

nobody with an opinion... interesting.
#3 Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrias View Post
Hello everybody

What is your opinion - Whey (or others) compared to Vegan Protein powder:

hey is a byproduct, it's still part of the animal processing machinery)

I look forward to your opinions!
Well, if its got whey in it, it is not vegan. I don't know all that much about whey. but since you got no other answers I thought maybe my 2¢ was better than nothing.

Back in the day, I watched some people making whey. At the time I didn't even know what whey was. but my conclusion was that it wasn't anything i ever wanted to eat.

From what i understand whey has some advantages over all the vegan protein powders. I bought some soy protein powder once. It was vanilla and it didn't taste too bad. I bought some pea protein and i can't stand it.

But my feeling is now that I don't need a protein supplement. Also I think most people overestimate the number of grams they need. But i don't have any problem meeting my mRDA without any powders.

the thing is if you are an athlete your calorie requirements go up - so you protein intake goes up with just the food you eat.

I also just read an article that explained that since your body can't really store protein - about 20 grams a meal is close to optimum for protein synthesis. Over 40 is a waste.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit
BlueMts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 PM

I recommend you get the cheapest vegan rice protein. The protein supplement industry will always try to sell you overhyped products for outrageous prices. Remember that hyper dosing on protein has no real benefit since our bodies cannot store excess amino acids, all it will do is give you a stomach ache and horrible gas and bloating as the excess protein is fermented by bacteria in your large intestine.
#5 Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrias View Post
nobody with an opinion... interesting.
In my opinion the supplement industry has done an excellent job of brain washing people into thinking they can't make gains without some kind of protein powder. Every personal trainer will recommend you get protein supplements or amino acid supplements (which are even more expensive). Which is funny because even meat eaters that over consume protein by a ton are still chugging their protein shakes right after coming back from the gym.

I mainly use vegan protein powder purely for the sake of convenience when i'm out of vegan food protein and I don't have time to cook some dry beans.

Last edited by Iridium; 07-15-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo
#6 Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Guys, thanks for your feedback! i will absolutely research more on some of the points you make.

Protein & Weight Lifting (or generally sports): to some extend it's certainly a bit of a hype. But it also seems consensus that to build muscle you need a higher amount of protein, be it naturally in your food or with supplementing. Truth is, i hestitate to take chances there, it's just too much work and if something is missing, you stall. be it vitamins, minerals, carbs, proteins, sleep etc.

that said, my question was more of general nature: if i care about animals but also ecological sustainability, is Vegan Protein Powder the better choice than Whey Protein Powder?

My gut feeling sais, Vegan Protein is better. but then again, only small part of the plants can be used for powder, the rest is used as fertilizer or food for animal production... so i'm not sure how that holds up on the ecological or even animal protection part.

Note: i go different routes currently, trying to find other ways. eating much less meat/poultry and replacing part with farmed fish and more vegan sources. i know some will cry "foul" on this again. but i checked what kind of fish is good from ecological and also care for animal standpoint and currently i'm with mojarra or other smaller herbivore fish. of course this raises questions on how clean the meat is, also, cruelty for the fish. but depending on what you read... these smaller, less developped fish do suffer less than mammals/birds and bigger fish like salmon and tuna. also they have a very good ratio of what has to be fed and what comes out. farming of carnivor fish can be terrible from ecological standpoint, you have to fish 3 times the fish from the ocean than what you get out of the tank. so, if overfishing is a concern, they are no option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page