• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By Ferncat
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Ferncat

#1 Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Vegan since 1991

Stories about old-school vegetarian restaurants?

Anyone want to share a story about old-school vegetarian restaurants?

"Mothers Market & Kitchen", in Orange County, California, was opened by a group of yoga practitioners in 1978. They now have 7 stores: https://www.mothersmarket.com/history

Their market is omnivorous, but their restaurant is 99% vegetarian (they do have 1 fish dish).

Spudulika likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Vegan since 1991

This tiny place is a health food and mini-market in Huntington Beach, California. It's one of those old-time places with a small market and lunch counter.

It's now called "Esther's Place" (with excellent ratings on Yelp), but during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s it was the home of "Jan's Health Food". The old sign had a beautiful 1970s font. This was the market where I bought my very first miso, and my very first cruelty-free soap. I remember eating my first meatless "turkey" sandwich at their lunch counter, and listening to the counter lady offering me powdered spirulina.

Jan's Health Food continues to operate (now called Jan's Health Bar), at 3 different locations in Orange County.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 04-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.
#3 Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Plant Powered

Veggie Bob's in Ft. Langley, open since 1978

I actually only recently discovered this little gem since becoming vegan (almost a year ago now, wow!). Everything they make is home made, plant based and DELICIOUS!! I've eaten there with mixed groups and everyone is always happy

http://veggiebobs.ca/wp-content/uplo...204_115505.jpg
David3 and Thalassa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Bandit

Have you ever been to the Follow Your Heart restaurant? All the older vegetarians, especially older vegans, ask me if I've been there and I have yet to try it. Apparently it was the original veggie place in LA, or one of the originals?
David3 likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Have you ever been to the Follow Your Heart restaurant? All the older vegetarians, especially older vegans, ask me if I've been there and I have yet to try it. Apparently it was the original veggie place in LA, or one of the originals?

Holy cow, that is a pioneering vegetarian restaurant - Follow Your Heart restaurant was established in 1970 in Canoga Park: https://followyourheart.com/market-cafe/

Thalassa likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.
#6 Old 04-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Another older Los Angeles area vegetarian restaurant is "The Spot", established in 1977, in Hermosa Beach, California.

Luv that neon:

Their spicy vegan "cream" sauce (called "Savory Sauce") is incredible.

Thalassa likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-27-2017 at 12:02 PM.
#7 Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Vegan since 1991

The farther back I look, the more I find!

The "Physical Culture" movement of the 19th and early 20th centuries included vegetarianism (at least in some groups). The movement also included plenty of wacky stuff, too.

Equal time, equal time:

Thalassa likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-27-2017 at 12:40 PM.
#8 Old 04-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Holy cow, that is a pioneering vegetarian restaurant - Follow Your Heart restaurant was established in 1970 in Canoga Park: https://followyourheart.com/market-cafe/

Cranks opened in London's Carnaby St. in 1961 - it was a vegetarian and wholefood restaurant.
I have one of their original cookery books on my bookshelf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranks_(restaurant)
David3 likes this.
#9 Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 PM

I grew up in Orange County in the 90's . I remember going to the Mothers Market in Costa Mesa and eating there. That was a great place to eat and shop. I went to the Irvine one later on when it opened and it just wasn't the same, maybe it was the parking or something.

For me, old school vegetarian comfort food came from Rutabegorz in old town Tustin. It was not strictly vegetarian but it had many vegetarian options. I remember going there with my at the time boyfriend / now husband. One of my favorite things to get was the Peasant Mushrooms but I remember the salads being pretty epic too.
David3 likes this.
#10 Old 05-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

The L.A. Weekly published this photo of the Follow Your Heart restaurant, circa 1970s. Dynamite!

Thalassa likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 05-14-2017 at 02:14 PM.
#11 Old 05-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
I grew up in Orange County in the 90's . I remember going to the Mothers Market in Costa Mesa and eating there. That was a great place to eat and shop. I went to the Irvine one later on when it opened and it just wasn't the same, maybe it was the parking or something.

For me, old school vegetarian comfort food came from Rutabegorz in old town Tustin. It was not strictly vegetarian but it had many vegetarian options. I remember going there with my at the time boyfriend / now husband. One of my favorite things to get was the Peasant Mushrooms but I remember the salads being pretty epic too.

I went there in the 1990s too! The restaurant is still there!

Ferncat likes this.

_________

#12 Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Sunflower Drive In Old Fair Oaks

I did not go to this one back in the day but I go here now. It opened in 1978. They have really good nutburgers and sandwiches. There are feral chickens roaming the streets of Fair Oaks so sometimes you can feed them.

Thalassa likes this.
#13 Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Bandit

Quote:
The farther back I look, the more I find!

The "Physical Culture" movement of the 19th and early 20th centuries included vegetarianism (at least in some groups). The movement also included plenty of wacky stuff, too.

Equal time, equal time:

The Road to Wellville is about Mr. Kellogg, of Kellogg's corn flakes, and it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Apparently he got kicked out of the 7th Day Adventist Church for his "extreme" interest in physical health. 7th Day Adventism upholds vegetarianism as a virtue, but he created all sorts of wacky electric "health" machines, a health retreat spa for the wealthy, and refused to have sex with his own wife because he thought it stole his energy.

A lot of the Gothic Romanticism writers from the 19th century were also vegetarian.

Ingrid Newkirk
#14 Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Bandit

Quote:
The L.A. Weekly published this photo of the Follow Your Heart restaurant, circa 1970s. Dynamite!

Cool! I recently tried their cottage-style tofu on the Reuben sandwich with a cup of soup on the "Love Plate." I was really impressed with how big their portions are, it seemed like a full sandwich and a bowl of soup, rather than half and a cup. I would like to go back to try the Chick-Un pot pie and beet salad, and maybe get a side of the "cottage tofu" by itself.

I met a woman in there who told me she has been a vegetarian since she was born, her parents were vegetarian, and she remembered coming to the FYH restaurant with her dad when she was about five, so that's a good story to pass along, though it's not fully my own.

Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page