• 3 Post By BlueMts
  • 3 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Curry
  • 2 Post By Ferncat
  • 2 Post By Thalassa

#1 Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Vegan since 1991

Greens = Great in soups

Kind of a public service announcement about eating dark green leafy vegetables.

I was not a big fan of dark green leafy vegetables - maybe you can relate to this.

This changed pretty quickly when I tried putting dark green leafy vegetables in soups. The bitterness went waaay down, and the remaining flavor added to the spicy strength of the soup.

Then I found out that Italian, Vietnamese, African, and Portuguese cuisines had already discovered this fact many hundreds (thousands?) of years ago:

Portuguese-style lentil and kale soup:

African-style bean and collard greens stew:

Vietnamese-style pho noodle and greens soup:

Italian-style "wedding soup", with meatless meat balls:

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I completely agree! I've taken to using all kinds of greens in almost all my soups.
One of my favorites now is my version of hot/sour mushroom tofu with baby bok choy
Kinda unrelated, but as a cilantro-hater I was pleased to find Thai basil for Pho!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 04-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

You may be interested in caldo verde, also a very popular soup in Portugal.
Spudulika and David3 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 PM
person

Good in curies and in asian dishes too.
David3, Thalassa and Liiv Line like this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I incorporate leafy greens daily, especially in salads and soups! People think of salads as lettuce and veggies. But you can add a layer of flavor by chopping and adding different kinds of leafy greens into a salad too.

I grow my own collard greens much of the year, and add them to bean and vegetable soups. I also add bok choy (white and green parts) to tofu or chickpea and veggie stir fries, with a tahini or peanut thai sauce. My partner (who is not a fan of leafy greens) will eat them if I add the thai sauce lol.

Mustard greens are very spicy and go well in soups.

These are some of the leafy greens I enjoy: dandelion (surprisingly high in calcium), turnip greens, beet greens (also excellent in creamy beat soups), collard greens, bok choy, kale, romaine lettuce, and spinach.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 AM

Looks great, especially the pho noodles! I saw a recipe for a spinach and lentil soup somewhere that also looked interesting to try.
Liiv Line likes this.
#7 Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM

I have realized that I like some greens and don't like others. I think that they can be pretty interchangeable. If a recipe has one I don't like, I just sub in one I do like.

I really like mustard greens. They are so good in dals and other lentil dishes.

For brothy soups I really like swiss chard and bok choy. Something about the smooth textures as opposed to the curly textures seem to work well for me.

Spinach is a good go to green that I usually have on hand and can throw into most anything.

I was going to post a link to a tortilla soup with chard but my post count isn't high enough yet.
#8 Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

If you're blessed with an abundance of greens, be it wild, homegrown, or otherwise, but can't possibly eat them all before they wilt/die out/go bad/etc., you could dehydrate them to add to soups, smoothies, etc. later. I've heard folks mention making powders with them after dehydrating. A good way to preserve all those nutrients. I'm thinking of harvesting all the wild plantains and dandelions I can get throughout the season and doing this, as I miss them dearly when the weather turns cold.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#9 Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 AM

Wowwwwww, yummy. Some bitter green vagetables are suitable for soup.
#10 Old 05-24-2017, 06:51 AM
person

Asians have the best leafy greens.

Also for anything not just soups broccolini, broccolini broccolini - broccoli crossed with kai-lan (chinese kale)

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#11 Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Bandit

I make a delicious simple cannelini bean soup with kale. The secret is mashing one drained can of beans into vegetable broth to make it "creamy" while leaving a second drained can whole. Add salt, pepper, rosemary or thyme, and kale. That's it!

(Though you can add onion or garlic to give it complexity. I add onion or garlic to most things I make).

Also I recently added collard greens to a plain lentil soup with onions, and it really gave it deliciousness.

I love sautéed spinach though. Everywhere. Spinach is a little milder than kale.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by Thalassa; 05-24-2017 at 07:05 PM.
#12 Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

We had a LOT of greens the other week from our CSA share - two kinds of kale, some spinach, arugula, mustard, and sanposai - and cleaned them up, stripped the tough stems and saved them to make broth, cooked the greens down in some water, then blended them with the stick blender, then added lentils, radishes, onion, frozen green peas, black pepper, cilantro, cumin, turmeric, dulse granules, and I don't remember if there was more veggies, then some coconut milk and curry. It was divine. Shared with meat eaters as well as an amazing plant-based food artist and all were impressed. It made enough to be able to stick some in the freezer, too. Bonus!

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page