Quitting smoking and need some guidance with eating habits, please! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By highlyoriginal
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 1 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 1 Post By highlyoriginal
  • 3 Post By Auxin

#1 Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 AM

Quitting smoking and need some guidance with eating habits, please!

OK - so a while ago I bit the bullet and decided the quit smoking I found it much easier to quit by setting a date out a bit and not really telling anyone since they all tend to make it harder - albe9t I still talk ab0ut it.

Anyway - I plan to quit March 14th~ however as the date is coming up I've noted my urge to eat more - especially at night. I've been eating an extra meal at least.

No sweets though or anything so it's not compeltely unhealthy and I'd say the extra meal over smoking is fine by me.

Can I get some tips on what would be good to make/buy for urges/cravings that wont put a lot on my stomach (don't need to feel over filled) and also will help quench my 'temporary' hunger.

I was thinking unsalted popcorn which we all know is a good food to trick you into thinking you're full.

Is there anything - or advice/opinion from experiuence anyone cares to add? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Wishing you much luck in your pursuits! When I quit cold turkey 10 yrs. ago, I had to keep finger foods on hand at all times. I learned the hard way, of course, after first using hershey bars and reese cups, orwhatever else was quick and "convenient" and within reach, as my new pacifier.

After gaining considerable weight from those choices, I switched to celery sticks, carrot sticks, sliced red bell pepper strips, grapes, orange wedges, apple wedges, pineapple chunks, etc. Pre-chopped, always ready to roll, and always tucked away in a small cooler I kept with me everywhere I went. I'd also get or make hummus to dip the veggies in or use different types of nut butters for the apples and/or celery.

Using fresh ginger to chew on was helpful, too. I had also learned of the ingredients in the typical candies/gums and was hesitant to use those. Keeping my water bottle full with lemon/lime/orange wedges fresh daily, or other various veggies and fruits and herbs, sipping on kombucha instead of sodas and/or alcohol.

Now that I look back, giving up smoking was like a gateway of sorts to other healthier things. It kicked off a nice healthy momentum that I had no freakin' clue would ever become my lifestyle. Thanks for the chance to take a moment to reflect. Rock on with your quit! You can do it.
#3 Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Peace

I quit smoking cold turkey 7 years ago, and I noticed the smell did make me crave it so I stayed away from people who smoked for a while.

The first three days were the hardest, in which I would say you should just allow yourself to eat whatever you feel like. Three days won't affect your health badly long term.

After those three days make sure you get enough protein so you can feel full longer and try to avoid snacking on high sugar or fat products, better to eat natural snacks like Knowtions in Motion mentioned.

It also helps to do breath exercises when you feel the urge to smoke, after all smoking is just a way to consciously focus on your breath. Taking a breath mint and inhaling the minty flavour might also help.

Good luck!
highlyoriginal likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 AM

I appreciate the responses. I think I will await the weeks coming up to my quit date and try to naturally play this out as healthy as possile with strain on the actions I'm making despite the fact I'm going through a tough change. I know it's for the better, most obviously, and that temporarily I need to just occur some changes physically if it comes to that. I never really have been much of a gum person but it may be something that I can do, albeit I tend to get rid of it quickly once it's peaked in flavor, I'd find myself in positions where I need to throw it out a lot. Thanks for your insight, Knowtions In Motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
I quit smoking cold turkey 7 years ago, and I noticed the smell did make me crave it so I stayed away from people who smoked for a while.

The first three days were the hardest, in which I would say you should just allow yourself to eat whatever you feel like. Three days won't affect your health badly long term.

After those three days make sure you get enough protein so you can feel full longer and try to avoid snacking on high sugar or fat products, better to eat natural snacks like Knowtions in Motion mentioned.

It also helps to do breath exercises when you feel the urge to smoke, after all smoking is just a way to consciously focus on your breath. Taking a breath mint and inhaling the minty flavour might also help.

Good luck!
I like the ideas you presented, thank you for the insight from the other side of the spectrum. I didn't really consider the 'after I quit' view as compared to "as I begin to near the date set" so I thank you for opening up my eyes. I have been noticing I have been consuming alcohol, in a basis that I don't usually do so normally at all and if I do it's not much. So I'm keeping my eye on that but it's good to know I'm not the only person who has had such an occurrence.

I am going to try to make some protein bars this week and see how that goes - the time put into them should help me appreciate them a bit more since I will hold/learn self-respect whilst gaining it back a bit from quitting. I think there are some lemon bars made for breakfast that looked great to make, I may try those as well.

I know this is a very specific question but is there a nutrient I should be focused on getting back in my body to a normal level once I do quit? This would help me find balance afterwards.
#5 Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Oryzatarian

I couldnt tell, are you in the middle of tapering down your smoking or is it just the anticipation of quitting that has you eating more and stressing?
If the latter just try to relax, when the time comes it'll come and what happens will happen.

When you do quit, popcorn sounds like a good idea- but perhaps unbuttered popcorn. 'Buttered' popcorn is 40% fat.
Celery, carrots, etc. are good options too. You can also drink a full glass of water when you feel hungry. The body often perceives thirst as hunger so a glass of water can help with that dimension anyway.
You'll gain weight, your quitting a potent stimulant drug after all, but with a good diet that weight will melt back off in a few months. When I quit I went from my average weight to the most I had ever weighed, then drifted back down to the average weight again.

I'm with Sidhuriel, the first three days are where you'll be physically sick so just make a holiday out of it like you have a cold or something and eat whatever you want. I'd suggest avoiding any alcohol in the first three days tho, and keeping it to a minimum in the week after that. Alcohol dulls the mind and causes heedlessness- the last thing you need when trying to quit an addictive drug.
#6 Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 PM

I set a date to quit a while ago, it's in March. So I'm on my way (tapering naturally which is what I wanted to do, however what I'm smoking prior to the day I decided on doesn't matter I will still be quitting either way on the day I choose).

I just grabbed ingreidents for a oat based bar for some protein during the day - I'm going to switch to this for lunch and see how it suits for now, and hopefully it will curve cravings if I need to have some more.

Thanks for your response!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page