How do veggies vote? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What would the Veggie Ballot be?
Bush (US Citizen, 18 and Older) 0 0%
Kerry (US Citizen, 18 and Older) 0 0%
Bush (US Citizen, Under 18) 0 0%
Kerry (US Citizen, Under 18) 0 0%
Bush (Non-US, 18 and Older) 0 0%
Kerry (Non-US, 18 and Older) 0 0%
Bush (Non-US, Under 18) 0 0%
Kerry (Non-US, Under 18) 0 0%
Nader (US Citizen) 0 0%
Nader (Non-US) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul_sky View Post

As for everyone who thinks the two party system sucks, but its better than voting for Dubya...

It's too late to change the way we vote for this election (obviously), but let's help with the campaign for run-off elections that McCain wants. That way we could vote for Nader, or whoever, and not be giving a vote to people like the big W. Run-off elections is the only viable plan I have seen for destroying the two-party monopoly. But you hardly ever hear about it. Kind of strange that the first place I heard of from was a member of the two-party (McCain). Who wishes McCain was running instead of Bush?

I would be much happier with McCain. And run-off elections are a MUST, IMHO. Couldn't agree with you more, azul.

otomik, I put quotes around "won't count", because every vote does count. Voting for the winner doesn't give your vote more weight. If both you and azul_sky didn't vote, nothing would LIKELY change. The point is in the numbers, which is why we must all do our part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Beginner

I have to edit my previous post about run-off elections. I was just doing a google so I could post some info for others, and realized I just don't know enough about the actual run-off voting program to advocate it. Yet.
#33 Old 10-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

.....people who vote for a President based on one sole issue, shouldn't vote IMO. I'm not necessarily directing my post at you.

I'm glad that you didn't direct that post at me, as I have many other reasons for voting against Bush- such as his federalist views, the real cost of his tax cuts and the effects that it is going to have on me as my parents try to retire, the war on 'terror' in Iraq that he has drug our friends and family into to rot and fester, the way that he has turned many of our allies against us, etc, etc, etc.

But I'm sure you already know about all of this. Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysole View Post

Nader is the man but he needs to sit this one out.

Why doesn’t Ralph just sit this year out?

Someone has to be in the race to keep the two parties responsive and make sure that the issues the Washington insiders don’t want to address get raised all the way to election day, since most Americans only start to pay attention to the election after Labor Day.

They told African Americans and women "to wait" when they wanted the right to vote.

They told students during Viet Nam, and they told the civil rights and labor leaders that it wasn’t "the right time." It’s never the time for pioneers and trailblazers.

The stakes are always high. (Think of Soviet-US nuclear missiles in 1984.)

According to both parties who want to avoid challenges, there is no such thing as a suitable year, ever.

But the quest for justice doesn’t take a holiday.

If you think this country and world are so well spoken for that more people and wider agendas in the electoral arena are not needed, then don’t vote for Ralph.

It’s that simple.

All the Democratic voters can vote for the Democrats. All the Republican voters for the Republicans.

And still there would be 100 million plus nonvoting people to approach for their votes.

If you think we could all be doing a better job at making a more perfect union, then keep an open mind and visit the rest of this site.

And don’t just let election-day dynamics affect your judgment about all the good and more explicit popular mandates that can come from pre-election day and post-election day dynamics, when more people expand their political and civic energies.

Thank you.
#35 Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah cuz i was thinking runoff elections weren't a pleasant experience for France

you can choose either Chirac or LePen, i'm sure that represents the beliefs of the french people better than our pitiful american electoral two party system could.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#36 Old 10-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

and what about the radical candidates?

and the constitution party?

and the natural law party?

etc., etc....

>>, but our current system seems to crush anything outside of Democrat or Republican parties. >>

this is but one indication showing that the system should be overthrown.

ebola
#37 Old 10-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar26 View Post

I suppose all of these factors are played out if a person is veggie strictly for 'health' reasons. And people that are horribly uneducated.

Might want to check yourself on that last statement. Just because "environmentalists" think they are educated doesn't mean they are.
#38 Old 10-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Beginner

So what do Nader supporters think about the rumor/fact (not sure on this) that Nader accepted Republican funds for his campaign? I would really like to know. I don't accept the accusation that Nader is in the campaign merely to boost his ego. But if this thing is true, it kind of negates a lot of what he says....doesn't it?
#39 Old 10-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yeah cuz i was thinking runoff elections weren't a pleasant experience for France

you can choose either Chirac or LePen, i'm sure that represents the beliefs of the french people better than our pitiful american electoral two party system could.

Yes, it did. They didn't just pick between Chirac and Le Pen. On the first round, almost everyone who voted for someone other than Chirac voted for Chirac in the run-off. That is a prime example of how votes being split can weaken similar candidates. What the first election ends up being is a "primary" for the two candidates. By having the two stages, it allows people who voted for the "less popular liberal candidate" to pick the liberal or conservative. Obviously, the splits aren't always as simple as liberal conservative, but you get the point.

The other option is to stop the third parties completely to avoid the vote splitting, which isn't right. My views are NOT reflected by either party right now, and I would like to be able to vote for someone I agree with without knowing that I was "taking votes away" from the other candidate that I liked more than the third. And as far as this election, what about those people who think we never should have gone to war in Iraq? Kerry, Edwareds, Bush, Cheney ... all voted for it. They may have disagreed about the details, but none of them said no to the war. We don't have a true anti-war candidate in the major parties.

Although, I prefer instant run-off voting for many reasons. First, it requires only one election day, not two. The most important is that there is never a limit of two choices. This really doesn't play a role unless there are many parties, but it can. For example, a country with 70% liberals could end up voting between two conservatives if there were only 2 conservative parties and 5 liberal parties, and they all split their votes equally. Rare, but possible. Probably as rare as a president getting elected here without the majority vote ... but I will leave that for another day.
#40 Old 10-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Kerry Gets my Vote!!! I'm a memeber of the Green Party but neither Nader or the Green party cannidate was able to get on the ballot in my state. Even if they were on the Ballot I probably would still vote for Kerry. I'm not crazy about Kerry but having Bush in the White House for Four more years deeply frightens me.

Anyone out there who is not voting because they think their vote doesn't count is foolish. If you dont vote then you have no right to complain about how the president is running things.
#41 Old 10-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Beginner

It is the electoral college system that makes me think my vote doesn't have any affect. I will still vote. It is a right and an obligation. But in a state like South Dakota, I know our electoral votes will go Bush.
#42 Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like Bush or Kerry. Likely I will end up voting for Kerry. As I told people over lunch today, sometimes I think I'd rather die than vote for Bush. The only two issues I know I agree with Bush on are abortion (which he really can't do anything about) and embryonic stem cell research (which will likely happen no matter what he thinks). Bush is sincere and wrong in the majority of his actions and policies, IMO. I think I'd rather have a president who half-heartedly did some good things than a president who whole-heartedly did a lot of things I find unconsciounable.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#43 Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 PM

I voted Bush, but seeing as I'm under 18 and living in a state where atleast 65%(i think) of the population could worship Bush, what I think doesn't really matter anywhere except here.
#44 Old 10-08-2004, 07:28 PM

I'm a U.S. citizen and over 18. The Bush administration, in my opinion has been a disaster. No question, I'm voting for Kerry.
#45 Old 10-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

How do Veggies vote?

With a pen. Hahahaha!

I'm sorry.
#46 Old 10-09-2004, 07:25 PM

If Bush wins the world will be completely ****ed.
#47 Old 10-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

I still say RuthieB for Pres. Mouse for VicePres.
#48 Old 10-10-2004, 12:11 PM

I vote for the guy with the grayest hair and the whitest smile.
#49 Old 10-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

I vote for the guy with the grayest hair and the whitest smile.

You mean you want Dick Cheney with John Edwards' teeth?

I voted under 18, Kerry.
#50 Old 10-10-2004, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffen View Post

With a pen. Hahahaha!

I'm sorry.

hahaha!! good one!
#51 Old 10-10-2004, 04:20 PM

I'll probably be voting for Michael Badnarik(Libertarian Party).
#52 Old 10-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Somewhat reluctantly voting for Kerry, on the grounds that he's not Bush.

I voted Nader in 2000, and look how that turned out! And even though all my arguments about why that was OK in 2000 still hold (I still live in NY, and NY is still solidly Dem), I just can't bring myself to do it again.
#53 Old 10-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffen View Post

With a pen. Hahahaha!

I'm sorry.

heheh!

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#54 Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 AM

Non us over 18 here, and I would vote for Kerry. I DON'T LIKE KERRY, but I would never ever vote for Bush, Wadrrrk!

Look at http://www.betavote.com - I'm sooo proud of the world.

Anyone else here thinks that in 4 years, the vote will be Hillary/Arnold? AAAAAAAARGHHHH is what I have to say to that. There is no question that Arnold would win that, human beings love voting for crazy, ignorant twats.

And I don't think that the us is ready to vote for a woman, we are still the weak sex, even in some womens eyes.

#55 Old 10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyodd View Post

Non us over 18 here, and I would vote for Kerry. I DON'T LIKE KERRY, but I would never ever vote for Bush, Wadrrrk!

Look at http://www.betavote.com - I'm sooo proud of the world.

Anyone else here thinks that in 4 years, the vote will be Hillary/Arnold? AAAAAAAARGHHHH is what I have to say to that. There is no question that Arnold would win that, human beings love voting for crazy, ignorant twats.

And I don't think that the us is ready to vote for a woman, we are still the weak sex, even in some womens eyes.

Well, luckily, Arnold is not able to run for President. He wasn't born in America. Hilary, on the other hand, does have a chance at being a candidate for pres, IMHO.
#56 Old 10-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Arnold is working to change that law as we speak. He won't support a change in the constitution when it comes to gay marriage "because the constitution is here to stay" -but at the same time, he just signed some papers and stuff like that, to start changing the law that stops him from being president. He wants the constitution to say, that when you have been a us cidicent (cant spell that word... you know what i mean) for 20 years, you can be a president.

And he wants the constitution changed now, so he can be there in four years.
#57 Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Beginner

I don't think the Democratic party is ready to risk having a woman run on the pres ticket. Maybe they might try vice president. Wait, was she elected as an independent in NY? I forget, sorry. It is unfortunate, to say the least, but I think the US is a ways from a women pres, or at least enough people think that, so that the major parties would be accepting defeat before they began. It shouldn't be like that, but I think it still probably is. Look at the Howard Dean situation. The major argument was "electability", whatever the hell that means.

I don't think American-born should be criteria for becoming pres. I do think you should have a minimum residency, and I don't know if 20 years is long enough (???).

I wish Madeliene Albright would run for pres. I would vote for her in a heart-beat.
#58 Old 10-11-2004, 12:29 PM

A vegan version of Michael Moore for president, Oprah for vicepresident...

and Dr Phil should be the presidents advicer.

(hey, a girl can dream )

( )

(I'm sooo serious)

#59 Old 10-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul_sky View Post

I wish Madeliene Albright would run for pres. I would vote for her in a heart-beat.

Who is she? I have heard here name somewhere, but I can't remember what and where...
#60 Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Madeliene Albright was the Secretary of State under President Clinton. To know how absolutely super cool she is, you have to read her memoir Madame Secretary. Many might disagree with me, but I personally held deep respect for Albright before and even more after I read her memoir.

As far as I know she would not actually be able to run for pres, b/c she was born in the former Czechslovakia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page