Have you ever tried a bean pie? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear they are delicious , and I've been dying to try one.

I don't seem to find them at supermarkets though , where can I find one at? Halal market maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

no i haven't

it doesn't sound that good, but a lot of stuff that doesn't sound good can be delicious

i used to love liver pie and that doesn't soud good either

anyway, i found a couple of recipes for you if you wanted to make it.

#1 Mexican Bean Pie

INGREDIENTS:

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained

1 (16 ounce) can refried beans

1 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives

1/2 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

ground black pepper to taste

5 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas

1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup salsa (optional)

1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch round cake pan or springform pan.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, mix black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, olives, corn, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Season with cumin, chili power, and black pepper. Cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Lay one tortilla flat on the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Spread 1/4 of the bean mixture on the tortilla. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese lightly over the bean mixture. Repeat layering, ending with a tortilla. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese.

Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with salsa and sour cream for garnish

#2Bean Pie

3 (16 ounce) cans any colored bean, drained and mashed

3 large eggs

1/4 cup melted unsalted butter

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 tablespoon fresh lemon (or orange) juice

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients except pie shell and stir to blend. When well combined, pour into pie shell.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until center is set.

To serve, add a dollop of freshly whipped cream to each slice.

i think both can be easily veganised enjoy
#3 Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

what kind of bean pie are you referring to? i've had a japanese bread roll filled with sweet bean paste.... those are really good. if it's the same idea, then i imagine it would be tasty.

not sure where to find one though, the info you gave was prety limited... maybe a google search is in order.

that second recipe sounds good- sounds like the sweet bean paste i had but in a pie.

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

ok, i did a google search just typing in "bean pie" and the only things that i could find not mexican (i'm assuming that's not what you're looking for) was a recipe for "muslim navy bean pie." since you asked about a halal market i'm thinkin' it's some kind of middle eastern dish. here is a link to a recipie:

http://www.muhammadspeaks.com/Pie.html

and pictures!

http://muhammadfarms.com/muslim_navy_bean_pie.htm

it looks super yummy, like pumpkin pie.... it might just be easier and cheaper to make your own. you could use an egg substitute and soymilk instead of evaporated milk. the 2nd recipe vicky gave sounds good too. i just might try this out, i have lots of beans in the cabinet....

hope this helped a little.

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#5 Old 10-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried making one, but it didn't work..
#6 Old 10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerbaboon View Post

I tried making one, but it didn't work..

aww

i found a bunch of sites that sell bean pie mixes... maybe it's easier that way.

http://trybeanpie.com/

lol.... reminds me of the weebl and bob internet cartoons..."try pie.... try." not sure if anyone got that.... but anyway...

i'm making myself hungry.

#7 Old 10-06-2004, 02:21 PM

why don't you make one yourself?

get one of those pie makers, put some bread in there as the pastry and fill it with beans! it tastes really lovely
#8 Old 10-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbunny83 View Post

ok, i did a google search just typing in "bean pie" and the only things that i could find not mexican (i'm assuming that's not what you're looking for) was a recipe for "muslim navy bean pie." since you asked about a halal market i'm thinkin' it's some kind of middle eastern dish. here is a link to a recipie:

http://www.muhammadspeaks.com/Pie.html

and pictures!

http://muhammadfarms.com/muslim_navy_bean_pie.htm

it looks super yummy, like pumpkin pie.... it might just be easier and cheaper to make your own. you could use an egg substitute and soymilk instead of evaporated milk. the 2nd recipe vicky gave sounds good too. i just might try this out, i have lots of beans in the cabinet....

hope this helped a little.

Yes! That's it!
#9 Old 10-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm B Free View Post

Yes! That's it!

whee! i rock.

you should try to make one- i think me and TQ will try and make one tonight, and let you know how it went.

#10 Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 AM

well poo. i have been trying to bake these darn bean pies for a couple hours now... they just won't cook! the crusts are getting burnt but the insides are still bubbly... did i do something wrong?

i subbed tofu for the eggs... is that my problem? what should i have subbed instead??

or maybe its just my electric stove

#11 Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^^^ that up there was really me, didn't know TQ was logged in! she's snorin' on the couch :P

but yes. bean pies=disaster.

#12 Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofu would have worked for the eggs, I think. Maybe some agar agar as a thickener, too. Did you try condensing the soymilk at all? If you didn't, that could be why it didn't set properly, too. How much tofu did you use (1/4 cup blended tofu=1 egg)? Hmmm...I'll need to look over some vegan pumpkin pie recipes I've seen to see if I can figure it out....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page