Does it annoy you.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

#1 Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM

Does it annoy you....

How much Omnivores worship bacon? Seriously. They all seem to have it up on a pedestal, and I just don't get it. Even when I used to eat meat, I thought bacon was far overrated. Bacon this, bacon that...stfu.
troi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Bacon has been marketed as a rebellious food in an anti-intellectual culture. You say it's bad for me? I'm going to eat as much of it as possible!

Also, it's "macho."

I never really liked bacon all that much, either, but when I was an omnivore, I did find what cooking stuff in bacon fat did for a whole host of things to be rather amazing. Now I think it was just the smoke + salt + saturated fat thing, but I haven't tried to replicate it.
#3 Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreed. I never liked bacon much as an omni and don't miss it now as a vegetarian who eats vegan almost all of the time. As Avril said, it's marketed as being rebellious or something of the sort. Also, it's mostly just smoky flavor, salt, and fat, so for that reason, it's good as a flavoring.

What I do now to get a bacon-like flavoring is to lightly sautee Gardein vegan breakfast sausages, cut them into little pieces, and add them to the meal. They're good this way, for example, in blackeyed peas and similar dishes that are traditionally served with a smoky flavor.
Riuma likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 PM
From Le Dergoncave

Noticing a trend here...*cough* didn't like bacon anyway *cough* Funny enough, it's the same for me. I didn't like the fat, and crispy bacon was almost impossible to find.
#5 Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post
Noticing a trend here...*cough* didn't like bacon anyway *cough* Funny enough, it's the same for me. I didn't like the fat, and crispy bacon was almost impossible to find.
When I ate meat, I used to always take out the fat off of any piece of meat.
I didn't care for bacon - didn't dislike it, but nowhere close to being my favourite food. Had it maybe a handful of times in my life at most. First time being already in my mid teen's.

As for omnivores worshipping bacon, just causes an eye-roll.
Riuma likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

You mean I'm not the only one?? Thank you!! I'm not completely alone in this. YAY!!!
Poppy, Sidhuriel and Riuma like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Peace

I have never eaten pork for as long as I can remember, not out of religious reasons but because I hated it as a kid and do to this day.

The smell, the greasy texture.. Ugh it just puts me off.

I'm a bacon hater for sure
Purp likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#8 Old 12-12-2016, 03:34 PM

I think it's ridiculous too. I actually did enjoy bacon though when I still ate animals. I liked it basically burnt like any other meat. It feels so disgusting and embarrassing to talk about it now.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
Purp and 121938 like this.
#9 Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Vegan since 1991

I don't get too annoyed, because I see how those people look when they reach their 40s and 50s. Unhealthy, bad skin, kidney stones, cholesterol meds. I am a shameless eavesdropper at work.
Purp, Ashalicious, 121938 and 1 others like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#10 Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
I don't get too annoyed, because I see how those people look when they reach their 40s and 50s. Unhealthy, bad skin, kidney stones, cholesterol meds. I am a shameless eavesdropper at work.

HAHAHAH. You and I would be friends in real life. I just know it.
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I never really liked bacon all that much, either, but when I was an omnivore, I did find what cooking stuff in bacon fat did for a whole host of things to be rather amazing. Now I think it was just the smoke + salt + saturated fat thing, but I haven't tried to replicate it.
If you can get your hands on it, there's a great product called Vegan Magic that's basically coconut oil with seasonings that is kind of reminiscent of cooking with bacon fat, only, of course, better ^_^ It's lovely for sautéing mushrooms or other veggies, potatoes, adding to soups, etc
Purp and Riuma like this.
#12 Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I loved it to be honest and a lot of my favourite foods had animal products in like chicken burger and pasta with cheese.
Purp and leedsveg like this.
#13 Old 12-14-2016, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Used to really like bacon but now I don't and I'll never eat it again. If current omnis really like it, no big deal.

Lv
#14 Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Bacon was both the nastiest tasting meat, and the best. I remember saying how horrid it smelled where I used to work and a women said it because they didn't castrate the pig. She grew up on a farm and took it as a normal thing, but to me it was one of the things that led to me giving up meat altogether. The idea that someone could think hard enough to do a medical procedure on a animal to make it tastier was just so barbaric.

I do like smokiness, saltiness and fattiness. I can get that from marinaded tempeh, tofu, or eggplant, bbq chips (crisps), olives, so many plant foods.

You can take the pig out of bacon and still have the taste. Another reason why I hate people saying you can't have vegan bac'n because it's about the pig. BS! Take the seasoning and aging out of bacon and all you have is a bloody piece of flesh

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I loved it to be honest and a lot of my favourite foods had animal products in like chicken burger and pasta with cheese.
Ahh you must be vegan. I still enjoy pasta with cheese from time to time.
#16 Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Used to really like bacon but now I don't and I'll never eat it again. If current omnis really like it, no big deal.

Lv

Enjoying it and worshiping it are two different things, and it is the worshiping it that annoys me. It makes me roll my eyes.

Although I suppose I am the SAME WAY with sushi...so I really don't have any right to say anything, do I?

*walks away sheepishly*
#17 Old 12-15-2016, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalicious View Post
Enjoying it and worshiping it are two different things, and it is the worshiping it that annoys me. It makes me roll my eyes.

Although I suppose I am the SAME WAY with sushi...so I really don't have any right to say anything, do I?

*walks away sheepishly*
I'm 70 and I've never met anybody yet who worshipped bacon. Omnis do lots of things I probably don't agree with but for the sake of my health, I prefer not to think about it.

Lv
Purp and Symondezyn like this.
#18 Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM
From Le Dergoncave

Quote:

*walks away sheepishly*
Are you a transitioning pescetarian?
#19 Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 AM

Sushi doesn't have to have fish in it. There are a lot of different varieties of vegan sushi even in ordinary sushi restaurants.
Riuma likes this.
#20 Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Sushi doesn't have to have fish in it. There are a lot of different varieties of vegan sushi even in ordinary sushi restaurants.
Yes, maybe Ashalicious is embarrassed about worshiping (and consuming) vegan sushi.

Lv
Ashalicious and Riuma like this.
#21 Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Ahh you must be vegan. I still enjoy pasta with cheese from time to time.
I don't eat any animal products at all, no cheese, butter, eggs, milk.
However not a vegan because I don't throughly check for animal ingredients every time I eat a cake, cereal bar, or processed foods.
Mostly vegan.
Ashalicious likes this.
#22 Old 12-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post
Are you a transitioning pescetarian?

No. There are lots of things I order at sushi that don't contain any meat or fish.

I will eat fish once in a while IF I crave it (which I rarely ever do). I don't like to do that, though, because fish (like meat) backs me up for at least a week.
#23 Old 12-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No. There are lots of things I order at sushi that don't contain any meat or fish.

I will eat fish once in a while IF I crave it (which I rarely ever do). I don't like to do that, though, because fish (like meat) backs me up for at least a week.
So you're not a vegetarian...

#24 Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
So you're not a vegetarian...
Absolutely I am.

And my vegetarianism is a choice based on my own digestive system, rather than my thinking that eating meat is inherently wrong.
#25 Old 12-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

^YOU posted that!
It's been reported, because people who rarely ever eat meat aren't vegetarian.
leedsveg and Riuma like this.

#26 Old 12-20-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Absolutely I am.

And my vegetarianism is a choice based on my own digestive system, rather than my thinking that eating meat is inherently wrong.
You're pescatarian. Some people think of that as vegetarian (though...why I don't know) but we don't think of it as vegetarian on these boards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism
leedsveg, ForestFaery and Riuma like this.
#27 Old 12-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Bandit

It's a marketing ploy. What you're probably hating on some fundamental level is their bizarre and unrelatable ability to be brainwashed by the most foolish commercial propaganda around. Of course it's not just "bacon" it's bottled water and their attachments to fossil fuels, and none of this can be addressed by mere presentation of facts as I've learned, "bacon" is just a symptom, like a runny nose being a symptom of virus.

Interestingly, some of us are immune or get well more quickly than others. When I figure out what that common thread is (and it's not necessarily a simple answer like college or having liberal parents) I will let you know.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#28 Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Bandit

Quote:

Then ask for help. Eat flax, hemp or walnut seeds/nuts or oils or products to get omega 3s elsewhere.

Ingrid Newkirk
#29 Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I'm 70 and I've never met anybody yet who worshipped bacon. Omnis do lots of things I probably don't agree with but for the sake of my health, I prefer not to think about it.

Lv
It's pretty creepy, it's sort of like how people used to think smoking was sexy, except now there are seemingly contests from fast food restaurants to cram as many pieces of bacon into an item as possible, including desserts, and people. ..oh I guess 40-ish and younger. ..posting memes about bacon, or replying "bacon yummy" to things, even as science has emerged that pigs are smarter than dogs, and that pork in large quantities leads to health problems, and interestingly some of the same people who shamelessly seem to masturbate to bacon live in areas like the South and Midwest where hog farming will do the most direct damage to them environmentally, in terms of filthy water and lung disease.

It reminds me of people continuing to drink bottled water when it's been proven to be equal to or less safe than city tap water and is a leading source of both plastic pollution and excess usage of fossil fuels for transport, as well as many companies being caught up in water theft from small communities or public lands.

Or how people actually believe there's a future in coal or won't change their habits knowing their own carbon footprint.

I mean if you had a child who kept hitting himself in the head and he said my head hurts and you told him it would stop if he quit hitting himself in the head but he kept hitting himself anyway, wouldn't you suspect maybe he needed a psychologist or had some sort of neurological disease?

This is why I don't watch television. I suspect aggressive advertising is doing real harm to people's minds.

Ingrid Newkirk
#30 Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Whenever somebody says "I eat chicken/meat/fish etc but I'm still a vegetarian" I'm gonna wonder if The Trumpster has joined us...
Symondezyn and Thalassa like this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 12-22-2016 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page