Does it annoy you.... - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

#31 Old 12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Then ask for help. Eat flax, hemp or walnut seeds/nuts or oils or products to get omega 3s elsewhere.
I think it's the taste she craves, not that she's eating it for omega 3's. So in that case, I would recommend seaweed snacks. I find they have a fishy taste. Or maybe tofu wrapped in nori if you want some texture as well.
Thalassa and Riuma like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

You can get both the taste AND the DHA with many of the algae DHA capsules! Burp....

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#33 Old 12-22-2016, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalicious View Post
Absolutely I am.

And my vegetarianism is a choice based on my own digestive system, rather than my thinking that eating meat is inherently wrong.
You are of course free to eat whatever you like but this is what the VeggieBoards' rules say about people who want to be members:

Do I need to be a vegetarian to join VeggieBoards?

VeggieBoards is a meat-free community for vegetarians and vegans as well as aspiring vegetarians. You are welcome to join our community if one of the three following descriptions applies to you:

You follow a vegetarian diet which means you do not eat meat, including beef, poultry, pork, fish or bi-valves.

You follow a vegan diet which means you do not eat meat or other animal products.

You are transitioning to a meat-free lifestyle, which means your sincere goal is to be vegetarian or vegan and you want support to achieve your goal.

As you do not follow a vegetarian diet and do not seem to have any intention of aligning with VeggieBoards' rules, I'm not really understanding why you joined? VeggieBoards is not intended for omnis who want to redefine the classical definition of vegetarianism.

Lv
Dustie and Riuma like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-22-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
How much Omnivores worship bacon? Seriously. They all seem to have it up on a pedestal, and I just don't get it. Even when I used to eat meat, I thought bacon was far overrated. Bacon this, bacon that...stfu.
The whole bacon trend is just the result of very successful marketing. Continually tell people they want something, and some people fall for it. Next thing you know, you've got a trend going and then it someone how becomes "cool" to love bacon. smh
Riuma likes this.

Meat Free Athlete website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lifestyle Apparel & Jewelry:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:
#35 Old 12-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't agree with this LV. You might be technically be in the right, but only in the sense that a policeman would technically be in the right to stop someone doing 72mph on the motorway and give them a speeding ticket. Rules are there to provide some kind of guidelines and stability, and not necessarily absolute precision. Arguably very minor infractions are best ignored. Unless there is something else going on here that I'm not aware of? Based purely on this thread, I don't think it's fair to question why she joined.

I would also point out that all the discussion boards seem to be vegan or vegetarian, it's hard to find one that allows all perspectives.

I also think we should accept that people call themselves a vegetarian if they eat fish very occassionally. Especially since pescatarian is not even a very commonly understood word as far as I know. Yes, she's technically in the wrong but it can't be that important.
Riuma likes this.
#36 Old 12-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Absolutely I am.

And my vegetarianism is a choice based on my own digestive system, rather than my thinking that eating meat is inherently wrong.
I'd h reccomend you read up more about the ethics of eating meat and dairy and fish, and the practices of the relevant industries (if you haven't already). Because you may actually find that what you learn stengthens your resolve to avoid animal foods, and gives you even more confidence and happiness on the path that you are already on.

Would you like some book or article reccomendations? Or would you like me to summarise some ethical issues for you? Or is this something you already know a lot about, or something you're not interested in at this point?
Riuma likes this.
#37 Old 12-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I don't agree with this LV. You might be technically be in the right, but only in the sense that a policeman would technically be in the right to stop someone doing 72mph on the motorway and give them a speeding ticket. Rules are there to provide some kind of guidelines and stability, and not necessarily absolute precision. Arguably very minor infractions are best ignored. Unless there is something else going on here that I'm not aware of? Based purely on this thread, I don't think it's fair to question why she joined.

I would also point out that all the discussion boards seem to be vegan or vegetarian, it's hard to find one that allows all perspectives.

I also think we should accept that people call themselves a vegetarian if they eat fish very occassionally. Especially since pescatarian is not even a very commonly understood word as far as I know. Yes, she's technically in the wrong but it can't be that important.
Hi JiC.

VB was set up as a refuge for vegans and veggies (and those 100% committed to going veggie) many years ago so that we don't have the same old arguments we'd have on an "anything goes" forum that allows "all perspectives" including omni/pescatarian. The rules on VB are quite explicit so it doesn't seem fair to me and for other members, if someone joins who has given an indication of not abiding by those same rules. As the rules suggest, we shouldn't be having to convert new or prospective members to vegetarianism: they should already be there or on the way.

Not sure that your comparison with a slightly speeding motorist works. Yes, most of us drivers will have probably driven over the motoway speed limit at some stage. However as a veg*n, I've yet to push a trolley around the supermarket thinking "I'll go down the fish/meat aisle and slightly put a piece of cod/steak in the trolley."

You say "I don't think it's fair to question why she joined." Some vegetarians join VB who are vegetarian for health reasons and indeed Ashalicious said "And my vegetarianism is a choice based on my own digestive system, rather than my thinking that eating meat is inherently wrong." That being the case, was it not rather disrespectul for you to say to Ashalicious "I'd h reccomend you read up more about the ethics of eating meat and dairy and fish, and the practices of the relevant industries (if you haven't already)"

Anyway at the end of the day, the moderators are responsible to the members for enforcing the rules and keeping order so I'll let them carry on with doing their job.

Good wishes

Lv
Riuma likes this.
#38 Old 12-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post

Here's how I see it, using your comparison-
If someone gets a ticket for going a few miles over the limit without being aware of it, they're still wrong, but without any intent. They would deserve a break, and use it to be more aware of how they drive. People who knowingly speed but do it anyway due to leaving late or simply enjoying speed - they're breaking the law and deserve to pay the ticket.It's no accident- they're speeders.
To have a occasional accident in purchasing or eating something by not seeing an ingredient, or being given wrong information is far different than consciously choosing something with meat. A conscious choice of eating an animal is not a vegetarian.
I was waiting for @Ashalicious response.

I find it hard to understand just being vegetarian for health. The people I've known to follow plant based diets to save their lives discovered how right it was to be vegan.
Riuma likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#39 Old 12-26-2016, 02:57 PM

Admittedly, I was a huge fan of bacon when I was an omni. I guess it was the flavor, the smokiness and savoriness.
I don't miss it at all since i've given up meat. When I was transitioning, I did have cravings but I bought benevolent bacon by sweet earth! When cooking, i'd just add a few dashes of liquid smoke and paprika.That took all of those cravings away.
I haven't met anyone who "worships" bacon, but I know plenty of people who love it. I guess it's all in perspective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page