Stupid things omnivores say..... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 04-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Banned

I don't think the line "Vegan food is boring" can be beaten for stupid and just plain incorrect (it's funny though that they eat vegan food all the time, except with meat... so if it was boring, they should eat just the meat).

Then there's other stuff like everyone being veg*n will allow Cows to become overpopulated.

I know there are more, I just can't think of them right now. Maybe I need to go hang out with some omnivores with a notepad and pen. Anyone have any?
veganborn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

my friend called me malnourished yesterday and said all veg*ns are. This from a guy who smokes cigarettes, pot every day, and drinks a lot of beer, and eats fast food regularly.

He's very ignorant. He also calls me a hippie, though I don't really care about that.
#3 Old 04-30-2003, 02:34 AM

Hee hee. There's this guy who regularly posts on another forum and every time veg*nism comes up in any way, he posts "rubbish!" If that's not stupid then I don't know what is

How about the old "carrots and broccoli have feelings too and they suffer when you eat them"

Or "I have a deal with the rabbits, I don't eat their carrots and they don't drive my car"

"Veg*ns don't get calcium/vitamins/protein from any food at all, they'll all die in a few months"

"Humans were meant to eat meat, we've always eaten meat!"

etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

But you can just eat around the meat or pick it out altogether.

If you don't eat meat you will die.

Humans were designed to eat meat.

You won't get enough protein as a vegetarian.
#5 Old 04-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kraftykraft

But you can just eat around the meat or pick it out altogether.

One of my former employers once made a soup during Winter, it was a heap of vegetables with some meat stewed in a pot. She offered me some, suggesting I "pick the meat out". Yeah.... right.

Another former employer invited me to a Barbecue [ie; flesh foods] for her two sons' 1st/2nd birthdays...... she told me "the fridge is full of veggies [and it was] and there are bread rolls and tahini". Those bread rolls with tahini and salad were some of the yummiest things I have ever eaten.
#6 Old 04-30-2003, 11:11 AM

meat is an essential food group

vegan? what's a vegan? explain in detail.

what do your farts smell like?

Is tofu a fungus?

How can you save the whole world just by giving up meat? It won't make a difference.

Meat keeps you healthy and strong.

Meat's a man's food. Only women become vegetarians.

grrr.. I am so pissed !!
#7 Old 04-30-2003, 11:27 AM

Do you know how many creatures had to die for your salad? (Usually said while munching on a big fat piece of cow....)
#8 Old 04-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I abhor this one: "If they weren't meant to be slaughtered, they would not have been made sheep."

Even worse, I've heard this applied in analogy to domination of peoples, regarding politics. Iraq, anyone?
#9 Old 04-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

the one that makes me want to cry and beat someone up is: "You're not going to make a difference to the world, so why bother?"

Like it's got to be all or nothing! When people say that (about anything), it is probably the one thing that pisses me off more than anything else.
#10 Old 04-30-2003, 12:17 PM

What about:

"are you still a vegetarian?" ... duh.... like it's really some sort of phase?
#11 Old 04-30-2003, 12:18 PM

Superjane...I've heard that too. I ask them if they think Mother Theresa made a difference? Or if Martin Luther King made a difference? Or if Thomas Edison or Albert Einstein made a difference? I could go on and on. One person can make a difference. But the fact of the matter is that you are a part of a fast growing group of compassionate people who choose life by letting other beings live.
#12 Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The dumbest thing I hear a lot from my friends is: " I just dont want you to be Vegan!" ahhhhhh yeah thats reasonable....
#13 Old 04-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

"I could never become a vegan, even if I wanted to"

"I think what your doing is great"
#14 Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

"If God didn't mean for us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat/made them taste so good!"

"Are you saying that monkeys should have the right to vote?!"

"If you love animals so much, why don't you have sex with them?"

I could go on and on, really ..

#15 Old 04-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

"Just don't make me eat tofu"

And related- When you have a really great dish with a tiny bit of tofu or a really tasty meat analog (like chili) and they refuse to even try a bit. They recoil like it is kriptonyte or something.
#16 Old 04-30-2003, 02:06 PM

I agree..most shudder at the mere mention of soy. It's a bean for crying out loud! How can a bean possibly be more gross than eating a cow's butt or a pig's gut???
#17 Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

"Wow, you're vegan? That's so cool, I wish I could be vegan, but then I'd die, because I need those nutrients, you know"~~said to me this morning actually, as if I am some superhuman life form that has no need of nutrients
#18 Old 04-30-2003, 02:55 PM

'Are you trying to lose weight?'

'Are you Buddhist?' (as if people of other faiths can't be veg)

'You're still growing and you need meat for that!' (as if elephants and cows need meat to build muscles and stuff)

'You need milk for calcium. You need animal proteins to stay healthy.' (it was a doctor who told me this! How ignorant doctors can sometimes be!)

Well, I could go on and on but I think I'll stop now......
#19 Old 04-30-2003, 03:10 PM

my favorite is "so what do you eat?" and they always have such a puzzled look on their faces.

"how do you get protein/calcium???" with that same stupid confused look.

"youre thin enough, you don't need to be a vegan" I AM NOT A FRIGGEN' MCDOUGALLER!

and i love it when i bake some vegan bread or cookies and one of my omni friends or family members reaches to take one and then pauses and asks, "....but is it a vegan cookie?" or they ask me in such a concerned tone "wait whats in it?" as if just because they can eat eggs they cant eat ener-g (or a banana at that), or because they eat butter they cant eat margarine. ???? that drives me nuts.
#20 Old 04-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Secura

my favorite is "so what do you eat?" and they always have such a puzzled look on their faces.

"how do you get protein/calcium???" with that same stupid confused look.

I get "what do you eat?" and "how do you get protein?" all the time, too. Also:

"Animals were put here for us to eat"

"The bible says we should eat animals"

"You don't even eat fish???"

"We were designed to eat meat" (usually bringing up the usual canine teeth crap)
#21 Old 04-30-2003, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I was eating a (delicious) Tropical Source bar once, and one of my really good friends said, when I offered her a piece (she was looking at it longingly, I know she was), "That's not real chocolate! It's fake chocolate!"

So...the cocoa beans are fake, then?

Or, how about, "Your body will go into shock if you just stop drinking milk! Your body won't adjust! That's why you're always sick, you don't get any calcium!" Actually...I'm lactose intolerant.
#22 Old 04-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I agree..most shudder at the mere mention of soy. It's a bean for crying out loud! How can a bean possibly be more gross than eating a cow's butt or a pig's gut???

exxxacTLY! i hate that! my friends even shudder at the sound of "vegetable!" or "vegetarian". welcome to high school.

#23 Old 04-30-2003, 06:24 PM

Ha. My boss, a much older lady...in her 60s, said "*huff*, Vegetarians are so unhealthy!" In the most matter-of-fact way, because she knows everything!!!! Oh, spare me, lady. Argh!!!! I've seen what she eats. She eats wendy's burgers and has a can of tuna fish every day with lemon juice on it. YUCK. She seems very aware and alert for an older person, though. It makes me wonder. She is in good health. Anyway...I've been a vegetarian since birth and I've never had serious health issues.
#24 Old 04-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

lol. So many people are scared of soy. However, if you look at almost anything, it's got soy flour or some kind of soy poduct in it. Just find someone with a soy allergy, and they'll tell you how hard it is to avoid soy.
#25 Old 04-30-2003, 07:28 PM

I made something with tofu the other day, and I tried to get my dad to try it. He was like "I'm not eating raw fish!" Mistaking it for sushi (which is not even fish to begin with). Then he said he took a bite and spit it out because it "tasted like raw fish."

I did get my little brother who never eats anything but junk food to try it, and he liked it!
#26 Old 04-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, I told a doctor yesterday and he just told me to make sure I varied my food, and eat lots of beans, nuts etc. I mean I knew all that from being on here but I'm happy to know that he would say the same to someone who didn't know...
#27 Old 05-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh... I hate the whole

"Plants are living things too!!" yeah, can thert suffer?! nooo. can that c0ow YOU ate today suffer? certainly.

"Chickens are stupid" Well, yes. But so are certain retarded humans, and you would not wanna eat one of them! Why, cuz they dont wanna! Same here.

"How do you eat cereal?!" soy! duh. and, a spoon and bowl usually helps.

" HOW CAN YOU EAT THAT STUFF?!" *referring to an eden soy milk* well, um. DUH. Im used to it, its yummy. Generallty with a straw.

I hate the whole, I'm scared of soy thing. I saw some cow in'stry produced chart of what various veg*ns eat. Yeah, vegans eat from no animal related groups. But, I doubt many omnis would even consider eating the stuff I do. Pudding made from tofu? ewww. You know. YEah, once they try it its great, but they have this aversion to it. Just like my friend had a problem with organic stuff, too healthy, darnit! ?! Im puzzled.

Peoples stupidity can be amazing.
#28 Old 05-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My Mom's the same way about soy. It used to be really nasty, from what I hear from her and other older veggies, and from what I've read. Now they're set in their ways, even though soy milk today is fantastic. I'm drinking Soy Dream vanilla right now. Tastes better than milk ever did.

Fortunately, my little brother (10) is much more open to trying new things, and he likes soy milk and just about every other vegan thing I've let him sample from my plate when I visit.
#29 Old 05-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Beginner

While I'm not telling any of you this, obviously. But, I've begun informing certain people, when they say humans are designed to eat meat this: true carnivores have sharp, pointed teeth all the way around. They also have short intestines since they eat no fiber. Humans have teeth designed for grinding, ie: greens, nuts, seeds. Long intestines to handle all the fiber our bodies need.

Yea, right--not yet, but I'm planning to next time it comes up. I need to shorten it and make it sound friendly. Grrrr- maybe I'll use my so-called canine (actually, inscissors) to bite their pointing fingers. he-he!
#30 Old 05-01-2003, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I've read everyone's post and it seems that there are way too many ignorant and stoopid people out there (but hey I already knew that).

My best comeback is always due to the fact that I'm smarter than whatever idiot gives me a stupid comment. I'm armed up to the eyeballs with facts and figures.

"We were meant to eat meat......" is the most common

"Where do you get your iron..." so I then go on about leafy greens and soy.

"that is so gross..." while looking at tofu (note. this person has never tried it)

"You're a friking hippie" i'm so not!

"here, wanna piece of chicken" my little bro being a smart arse and handing me a leg... normally I just go to hand him some soy and I'm like "here, wanna piece of tofu?"

But I'm glad to say (with the exception of my brothers being silly) everyone close to me is really good and don't ask question or judge.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page