Stupid things omnivores say..... - Page 89 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2641 Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Beginner

i don't get it at all ._. after reading about people saying that fish are vegetarian (i remember years ago a friend of mine was veggy and she ate fish.. she told me it was alright to.. and about it being brain food - i didn't really question it.. some reason i didn't think about it at the time).

Anyways i asked my brother if he thought veggies are allowed to eat fish and he said no - because their animals. I asked my parents the same thing and they said yes - because their not "meat". It's baffling.. where did this preconception of fish not being living animals come from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2642 Old 12-31-2004, 10:18 AM

Here's one for ya. I am going to my brother in law's tonite for New Year's Eve. Everyone is bringing a snack type thing and I said I would bring Pita Chips and Hummus. He say's to me, "Why would you bring that, isn't it like potting soil or something?" Geez, where do these people come from?
#2643 Old 12-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

i don't get it at all ._. after reading about people saying that fish are vegetarian (i remember years ago a friend of mine was veggy and she ate fish.. she told me it was alright to.. and about it being brain food - i didn't really question it.. some reason i didn't think about it at the time).

Anyways i asked my brother if he thought veggies are allowed to eat fish and he said no - because their animals. I asked my parents the same thing and they said yes - because their not "meat". It's baffling.. where did this preconception of fish not being living animals come from?

I don't either. My argument is usually that 'meat' is muscle tissue, and we're all made of meat. Fish, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2644 Old 12-31-2004, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

From Webster:

meat: animal tissue considered especially as food: a : FLESH 2b b : FLESH 1a; specifically : flesh of domesticated animals

Animal tissue, not non-fish tissue!
#2645 Old 12-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Here's one for ya. I am going to my brother in law's tonite for New Year's Eve. Everyone is bringing a snack type thing and I said I would bring Pita Chips and Hummus. He say's to me, "Why would you bring that, isn't it like potting soil or something?" Geez, where do these people come from?

Oh, but it is. Aside from a delicious dish, it's also the resulting matter from a compost heap. Mulch. This I learned in HS biology.

I remember this only because my Bio teacher had it in the notes, and he mentioned hummus, and one girl piped up, "My mom eats that stuff.. is it the same thing?" And jokingly, my teacher told her, "Yes." Because she was... kinda dense. And she was thoroughly grossed out... She actually believed him. Of course, I knew otherwise. heh.

So your brother in law isn't so weird after all.
#2646 Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

i think that stuff's spelled with one m, though.
#2647 Old 12-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

i think that stuff's spelled with one m, though.

humus

n 1: partially decomposed organic matter; the organic component of soil 2: a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East [syn: hummus, hommos, hoummos, humous]
#2648 Old 12-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

woohoo! i win!
#2649 Old 12-31-2004, 11:30 AM

For some reason I remember it spelled that way. Eh, it's not like I have my notes though. heh. But when I looked it up on google to be absolutely positive, I typed " soil, hummus" with results.
#2650 Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to think that hummus and pumice were the same thing... I was also eight, but there you are.
#2651 Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i thought many years ago that it was spelled like pumice but with an h

(i guess that's a stupid thing omnivores say, since i was omni at the time *gasp!*)
#2652 Old 12-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

For some reason I remember it spelled that way. Eh, it's not like I have my notes though. heh. But when I looked it up on google to be absolutely positive, I typed " soil, hummus" with results.

yep it'a an alternate spelling !
#2653 Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

I used to think that hummus and pumice were the same thing... I was also eight, but there you are.

Me too....

I once saw a Greek restaurant offering "homos". I won't go there.
#2654 Old 12-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

oh my goodness you have SO just made my night
#2655 Old 12-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

That's funny And I thought it was weird to see it spelled hommus
#2656 Old 12-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in the grocery store with my mom and I stopped to get margarine. It was in the section with the regular butters and margarines and my mom was surprised ot see that I "found something I can eat in with the real people food"
#2657 Old 01-01-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post

Ha. My boss, a much older lady...in her 60s, said "*huff*, Vegetarians are so unhealthy!" In the most matter-of-fact way, because she knows everything!!!! Oh, spare me, lady. Argh!!!! I've seen what she eats. She eats wendy's burgers and has a can of tuna fish every day with lemon juice on it. YUCK. She seems very aware and alert for an older person, though. It makes me wonder. She is in good health. Anyway...I've been a vegetarian since birth and I've never had serious health issues.

Hahaha......all of us "older people" in our 60's really do still have a brain, believe it or not. I'm a 61-year-old vegan in fine health and I'm still aware of my surroundings (lol). Every now and then, I "get" you young whippersnappers, too......aside from that, I think everybody's covered just about everything I've heard omnis say about veganism. It makes me mad, too, but it's just ignorance on their part. I always suggest they read "Diet For A New America." That's a real eye-opener......
#2658 Old 01-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

I was in the grocery store with my mom and I stopped to get margarine. It was in the section with the regular butters and margarines and my mom was surprised ot see that I "found something I can eat in with the real people food"

actually, when i found a vegan margarine in that section the same thing ran though my head...
#2659 Old 01-01-2005, 07:18 PM

my favorite one came today, when i was shopping for my dorm room, i had a cart with a few essentials: sprouted grain bread, all nat. pb, vegan chili, organic juice, kashi, plain ff soymilk, and rold gold pretzel rods. the cashier that rang me up rang up all the all natural products first, then got to the pretzel rods and looked at me and said "so you do eat stuff that like.. us.. um.. normal people eat?"
#2660 Old 01-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

They always seem to ask "What do you eat?" which has just gotten annoying because it's be asked sooo much.

I could go on and on about all the dumb thing I've had people say to me but I'll just go with what's been said today:

I was sitting across the table from my fiance's friend (btw, I hate all his friends. They're all rednecks that have nothing in common with him so I'm stunned by it) and I'm eating a vegan sloppy joe.

Redneck: What's that *thing* made out of?

Me: Tofu, spices, tomato paste . . . Why?

Redneck: Eeeewwwww tofu is so disgusting how can you eat that?!

She was eating a breaded hog anus and miscellaneous hog parts that I don't even want to think about (also known as a corndog).
#2661 Old 01-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My boss is an incredibly funny guy, and he wasn't trying to be degrading at all when he said this, but I still think it fits well in this thread.

Situation One: When I was filling the olive oil at work. "You know the olives used to make that olive oil were fielded by monkeys in Cuba."

Situation Two: When I was rolling silver. "The metal used to make that silverware was mined by Zebras in South America."

Situation Three: Just walking around the restaurant. "So, you know it's completely unacceptable if you come to work wearing a potato sack and homemade hemp flip flops?"
#2662 Old 01-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Today's dumbass comment (There's always at least one):

Tom: "Vegetarian is a native word for lousy hunter"

Me: "Wow, Tom! That's so original, did you think of that all by yourself?" *patting Tom on the head like a puppy*
#2663 Old 01-02-2005, 02:49 PM

my comment today (i work fast food because it was the only job i could get here, as i sat down eating some kashi autumn wheat squares w/soymilk: "ya know, an egg and cheese biscuit might put some meat on your bones. wait, you don't like meat on your bones, do ya?"
#2664 Old 01-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

[email protected] hehehe. That's good. I would hug that man.
#2665 Old 01-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

[email protected] hehehe. That's good. I would hug that man.

He's incredibly funny and quick-witted. I keep telling him that I'm going to write a book about him some day.
#2666 Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegKitten84 View Post

Me: "Wow, Tom! That's so original, did you think of that all by yourself?" *patting Tom on the head like a puppy*

Ha, I do that all the time. People don't know how to react.
#2667 Old 01-03-2005, 02:33 AM

Ok...this was more cute then stupid, as the little girl who said it was 8...

I was out to lunch my mum, her boyfriend, and his little eight year old girl. We'd mentioned to her earlier on that I didn't eat meat, and that was why we were going to this particular restraunt (they have a a few reasonable veg options available), and when the waitress came up to get our orders, my mum says, "Now, my daughters a vegetarian and we were wandering..." and gets cut off by the little girl who goes "Oh! You're a vegetarian!? No wander you don't eat meat!"

lol...was funny/cute at the time...not sure if it is when it's read.

*hugz*

~Gabs

Oh...another story my friends mum told me: Her friend ('vegetarian' that eats fish) was going on and on about how awful it is the way they slaughter cows/chickens/lambs etc for meat...and while she was saying this she was eating her fishburger. Um..hello....the fish are pulled out from the nets and left to die from not being able to bloody breathe!
#2668 Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
MEM
Veggie Regular

There's a couple other people at work who are vegetarians and many who aren't.

A guy who wasn't was having a hard time figuring out what we eat, so a couple of us were explaining all the different options available for eating. And I mentioned veggie burgers.

He told me that veggie burgers were made with meat drippings to bind it all together. And it was obviously true because that's what someone told him.

I told him he was misinformed (and wanted to add, "thanks for playing", but couldn't, since I'm his supervisor and need to be polite).
#2669 Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

This morning my roommates co-worker (Jake) brought her some breakfast and they both ate at the table with me before they headed off to work:

"I bought extra bacon for myself just to make up for the fact that you're eating scambled tofu right now instead of some nice healthy meat."

I said nothing, I'm a nasty morning person . . .I knew it'd get ugly.

My roommate decided to stick up for me: "Do you try really hard to be a moron or were you born that way?"
#2670 Old 01-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe how long this thread is.

I was around my family and my small nephews for holiday and the kids got a lot of "just eat the meat, then you can leave the table". Like it's better for you that broccoli or carrots. I used to get that all the time as a kid.

My one nephew really wanted to try my boca breakfast sausage sandwich, and he loved it. I think he ate more of it than I did.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page