Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2071 Old 10-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity_defiant View Post

Other classics:

The cook at my job, when I was trying to make sure she respected the wishes of a parent who'd asked that their child not be given meat: "I can understand making that decision for yourself, but it's just wrong to deprive a child like that!"

I wonder if that cook's kid decided to go veg if he/she would support his/her child in that since he/she apparently thinks it's wrong to make food choices for your child. Or maybe it's just wrong to make food choices for your child if you're a veg*n.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2072 Old 10-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Hugger View Post

"Vegetarians are criminals!"

That reminds me. I have to go rob a bank.

#2073 Old 10-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

haha yea i know she can be a little

sumtimes if u know what i mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2074 Old 10-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

oh i have something else to add to this thread its kinda old but still..

When i first became vegetarian which was like a year ago

(Almost a year ago my 1 year aniversary is coming up REAL soon! )

we were driving in the car and my mom got mad and started yelling and saying

Mom:Now your sister dosent eat anything anymore!!

(cause i converted my lil sis into a Veg)

Me:she eats lots of fruits and vegetables plus veggie burgers and soy milk

Mom:Thats not REAL food!

(oh sorry i forgot Food dosent count if its not from an animal)

Me:Well shes a vegetarian and theres nothing you can do about it so get over yourself

Mom:I dont care if you stop eating, but dont you make your sister do it too!! You can be stupid starve and die ! But Not your sister! i dont want you brainwashing her!!!

Me:Theres nothing wrong with not eating meat your the one being brainwashed

ok thats all i can remember from that Convo

but one time we were in the car and i told her i was vegan and she was like "So what vitamins do you want me to buy you"

and i said What are you talking about

and she told me "Well since you wont be eating anything anymore..."

She also told my little sister to eat like a "Normal" Person

oh yea drinking milk from another creature is as Normal as normal gets..........

i was Also in class last week and my English teacher was Explaining how to make a good paragrah so she said

Teacher:Paragraphs have to be very filing, you need to Add Meat on top of it Then More meat And More meat until it becomes VERYYY meatty

Boy in class:mmmmmmmm MEAT!!

other boy in class: i went to a vegetarian resturant before and all they served was fish and lettus

uhmm.you must have mistakenly thought it was a vegetarian resturant,because fish isnt veg....
#2075 Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

The other day, my step-son's health teacher asked the class if anyone had a vegan parent. Only Matt raised his hand. The teacher, kinda surprised, told him, "Ask him if he eats fish."

I've had so many people ask my if I eat fish! I'm like, hello, I DON'T EVEN EAT HONEY. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'M GOING TO EAT FISH? :head slap:
#2076 Old 10-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T. View Post

I wonder if that cook's kid decided to go veg if he/she would support his/her child in that since he/she apparently thinks it's wrong to make food choices for your child. Or maybe it's just wrong to make food choices for your child if you're a veg*n.

I wonder if those same idiots realize that if your child is sick, you don't let THEM decide what to do to get healthy. Or maybe if their kid is perscribed medicine, they don't "force" them to take it because "it wouldn't be right". Hmmmm???
#2077 Old 10-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone has probably already brought this up but I get the "hitler was vegetarian argument so you're like him for not eating meat and are probably an evil psycho for showing compassion toward animals" argument a fair bit. I usually respond with 1. No he wasn't a vegetarian. 2. Stalin I believe was an omnivore, therefore by your logic you must be like him and 3. I don't appreciate being compared to the person who was repsonsible for the death of my granparents and the torture my father endured thank you very much [I don't like to try and get sympathy for having relatives who suffered in the holocaust but this will usually shut the person up :-D ]

I also get the "what about the starving children in africa argument" which is pretty amusing as for one they aren't attempting to do anything about 3rd world poverty themselves, two being vegetarian certainly doesn't aggravate the problem and three if there was far less consumption of meat in this world maybe all the grain being fed to animals could be used to feed those who are starving or reduce profits/power for the big corporations who are partly responsible for problems many underdeveloped countries face. A simple argument, but most of the time the omni has no response.
#2078 Old 10-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Q: what about the starving kids in africa?

A: Well, what about them?

I find that this kind of technique works very well. It's kinda like a mirror, reflecting their attack back onto them. The more confident you are, the better polished the mirror is. All you have to do is redirect the question to them, and get them to expand upon their views, and they'll then be forced to delve furthe rinto the irrational belief that they have, and will find that they are empty. This leaves you free to weaken your opponent. The probable respons ein this scenario will be along the lines of "You're vegetarian, and you should concentrate your efforts into solving third world poverty instead." this leaves you free to question their efforts towards solving famine in africa.
#2079 Old 10-17-2004, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post

Last Saturday, hubby had a business aquaintence over for the purpose of going over documents, and purchasing a part of his business. He know's we are veg*ns because we've had lunch on several occasions.

I (being hostess) set out a tray with munchies: Chips, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red/yellow/green pepper strips, and a french onion dip made from tofu.

He: (looking at the veggie spread) I guess this would be some of that vegetarian food, huh?

Me: (thinking he was making a funny) Since raw veggies usually are, I guess that's a "yes"....hahaha.

He: Oh, well I was just wondering. I don't know about it that much. I guess the carrots would be.

Me: ??? Oh. Hm.

He: So are the chips vegetarian too?

Me: yeah, they are. And so is the dip.

(I wanted to offer him some vegetarian water soooooo baaaaad!)

heh. That reminds me of my Dad...

Once, I baked this french bread, and he comes up and he was all, "that vegetarian bread smells good." And I said, "Dad, most bread is vegetarian... the bread YOU eat is vegetarian."

And he KEPT CALLING IT VEGETARIAN BREAD!

He was serious, too. My Dad is pretty dense like that.

I mean, oil, water, flour, yeast... Basic bread components... How would he be so, i don't know, weird about it?

It's like vegetarians are supposed to have a substitute for *everything*, including vegetables.

#2080 Old 10-17-2004, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I find that this kind of technique works very well. It's kinda like a mirror, reflecting their attack back onto them. The more confident you are, the better polished the mirror is. All you have to do is redirect the question to them, and get them to expand upon their views, and they'll then be forced to delve furthe rinto the irrational belief that they have, and will find that they are empty. This leaves you free to weaken your opponent. The probable respons ein this scenario will be along the lines of "You're vegetarian, and you should concentrate your efforts into solving third world poverty instead." this leaves you free to question their efforts towards solving famine in africa.

Heh, that really has nothing to do with vegetarianism aside from the fact that the food used to feed livestock could be used instead to feed many starving people.

I need to use that response though. I usually just look at people with a WTF look on my face. Or something like one of these: or
#2081 Old 10-17-2004, 05:32 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Hugger View Post

(Almost a year ago my 1 year aniversary is coming up REAL soon! )

omg mine too! :high five:
#2082 Old 10-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

I mean, oil, water, flour, yeast... Basic bread components... How would he be so, i don't know, weird about it?

It's like vegetarians are supposed to have a substitute for *everything*, including vegetables.

Actually not all bread is vegetarian. Some bread has fish oil in it. (Breads "boosted" with Omega-3)

Sorry for the OT.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#2083 Old 10-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I use that technique too, Loki, when dealing with questions.

"Why don't you eat meat? Humans are designed to eat meat!"

"I don't eat meat because I'm a vegetarian"

"Why are you vegetarian?"

"Because I don't eat meat"

After a while they give up.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#2084 Old 10-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Yup, our animal rescue is about to be foreclosed and the "customer service representative" in discussing ways to raise money asked "Can you sell the animals like chickens? Do people eat them?"

Horrified! Just stunned!

Anyway, we're still trying to raise the additional $1,200 on the 3 months overdue mortgage for the Parrot rescue (Nov 1 is 4 is it doesn't seem to be happening), with some 30 birds still in "permanent" sancturary, i'd rather see them take their chances with the hawks and coyotes than what the bank idiot asked.

Check out our work, (and help is you can) we have a great webpage

and we do (or did) lots of educational work as well. By the way, Parrots are totally vegan.

Here's the rescue's webpage while it lasts:

http://www.wondertainment.com/rescue.htm

Cheers,

Michael Rossetti
#2085 Old 10-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

at the doctors a week or so ago....

doctor: so i see it says here that your a vegetarian..

me:..(nods)..

doctor:...do you eat fish?..

me:no......

doctor:..chicken?..

me:no....chicken is meat...

doctor:..well some vegetarians eat chicken..

me:umm..right..

the fact that those beliefs are so common among people is sickening..
#2086 Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

He might have said "some people who call themselves vegetarians eat chicken." I can see why the doctor would have to ask, because I sometimes meet "vegetarians" who then turn out to be fish/chicken eaters.
#2087 Old 10-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Actually not all bread is vegetarian. Some bread has fish oil in it. (Breads "boosted" with Omega-3)

Sorry for the OT.

I didn't say all bread was vegetarian.

He just acted like it was completely out of the ordinary.
#2088 Old 10-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I usually do say "well what about them" so they are forced to elaborate or show whatever significance vegetarianism has with poverty which will then weaken their argument as you said. Unfortunatly though, by this stage someone has a bible dragged out. But then I rarely discuss my vegetarianism with people anymore for above reasons, unless of course it needs to be brought up. If you so much as say "im a vegetarian" you're preaching.
#2089 Old 10-17-2004, 05:00 PM

There's starving kids all over the world. That's what I remind folks when they say "what about the kids in Africa"

My ex was a Merchant Marine in the 80's. He used to go to Africa once every three months. The food that they would drop off on the docks would still be sitting there the next time they arrived to drop off more food the government would not let be distributed. Such a shame.
#2090 Old 10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Europe actually imports fruit from ethiopia, or so I learnt in uni.

Hmmmm...
#2091 Old 10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

during the eithiopean famine twenty years ago, the harvests were brilliant. They had huge harvests. Unfortunately, what they grew was being used to feed westerners such as you and me, and as such, they had no food, just the pittance that they were paid to grow the food, and that wouldn't get them any food, so they starved.

So the way out of it is to buy fair trade stuff, (A good step forward.) which anyone can do, be they vegetarian or non-vegetarian.

Anyway, the technique of reflecting the question works a charm. I recall somebody using the "what about the plants?" argument on me. Here's the dialogue:

Them: Plants are alive too!!!

Me: Do you eat plants?

Them: yes, but not as many as you do?

Me: So what do you eat instead?

Them: meat

Me: Which comes from.............?

Them: Animals

Me: And animals eat........

Them: Ummm.........

Me: You're full of sh*t!

lol. I had an interesting conversation a while ago, about the fish thingy:

Them: So you're a vegetarian?

Me: Yup, for seven years

Them: That's a long time! So what do you eat?

Me: A lot of stuff. if you can't pronounce it, I probably eat it. Quinoa, falafel, a lot of vegetables, and i eat at subway a lot. I generally get the veggie max there....

Them: Do you eat fish?

Me: I'm a vegetarian, so I don't

Them: But I know someone who's a vegetarian, and she eats fish!

Me: Hold on..... They're a vegetarian, right?

Them: Yes

Me: AND...... they eat fish?

Them: errrr.... yes

Me: They aren't a vegetarian then.

Them: She says she is.

Me: She isn't. Fish isn't vegetarian. Veggies don't eat fish. You ask any vegetarian, they'll tell you fish isn't veggie. You ask the vegetarian society, and they'll tell you that fish isn't vegetarian. If you had a restaurant, and you tried to offer fish to a vegetarian customer, you could expect them to tell you to f**k off.

Them: But don't some vegetarians still eat fish?

Me: There isn't a vegetarian in this world that eats fish. Of course, there are plenty of people who SAY that they're vegetarian, and eat fish, but they aren't vegetarians.

Oh, and I've talked with my mum a few times about vegetarianism ,and she still doesn't quite get it. her belief is that vegetarians do eat fish, however, I happen to be a "very strict one". She believes it's just the vegans who don't eat fish. I have tried quite a few times to explain that neither vegetarians nor vegans do eat fish, but we rarely bring up the subject anyway, so I've only had a few opportunities to try and educate her on the matter. I'm actually surprised at how many people believe that vegetarians eat fish. I still get asked. I look forward to the day when people will genuinely understand that fish is not vegetarian.
#2092 Old 10-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

haha, that's silly! everyone knows when you squeeze a cow's udders, eggs come popping out.

Haven't you ever seen a cow get milked before, fafa? steady streams of milk and every once in a while a nice, fat egg.

The best part is, every once in a while, one of them hatches and a chicken comes out! Last week my cow had seven or eight baby chickens!

Thats pretty funny.
#2093 Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 AM

"Don't worry, it's just a phase you're going through." Phew. Such reasurrance that my crazy phase will one day be over.

"What are you, a girl?"

"If we don't eat cows and chickens they would have been extinct long ago."

"All vegetarians are hypocrites because they all wear leather shoes, leather clothes, and have leather brief cases." Well, there it is, proof that we're all hypocrites.

"Why are you doing this, what's her name?"

"Humans were made to eat meat. Why do you think we have such sharp teeth?"

And I was reading an old maxim magazine from April 2002 and they had an article about a soy product. The first line reads:

Usually the mere mention of the word soy is enough to make us run from the room for some raw veal to snack on.

Seems like a good way to show young impressionable male minds that soy and veggie products are something that a man should stay far far away from.
#2094 Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

why do you drink soy milk?

tofu is boring/gross/etc.

and my favorite, from a nutrition prof...

animal protein matches more closely our requirements for amino acids (which is true), so animal protein is better for us (which is not true, and doesn't follow, anyway). This said while admitting that animal protein is associated with cholesterol, sat fats, etc, while plant protein is assoicated with nice things like anti-oxidents and fiber. george orwell would be so proud of the doublethink.
#2095 Old 10-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Here a fun one about milk, my friend said "my father worked on a dairy farm, cows have to be milked". Its ture they do but not by us by there little calves thats who the milk should go to.
#2096 Old 10-18-2004, 08:37 AM

I was at my mum's friend wedding and they were serving meat..and I had a liver on my plate.. I almost burst into tears, so i gave it to someone else, Paul who was sat on the table said "how do you think the vegetables feel when you eat them?" my mum burst out laughing.

"You can't be vegan!!!! you hair will lose its colour and fall out, your skin will go white and you'll look like a corpse." - my boyfriend

"I've worked on a farm, cows love being milked"

"cows only get shot they don't feel any pain."

"what difference will it make if we don't eat the animals?? It's not going to stop them from being slaughtered"

We were watching animal farm at school and my friends go to me

"See pigs are evil too!!!"
#2097 Old 10-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-hairedGirl View Post

We were watching animal farm at school and my friends go to me

"See pigs are evil too!!!"

That's hilarious! While an eyeroll is the more likely response, I hope you went into a huge fit of laughter.
#2098 Old 10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

"Why don't you eat meat? Humans are designed to eat meat!"

"I don't eat meat because I'm a vegetarian"

"Why are you vegetarian?"

"Because I don't eat meat"

After a while they give up.

Lovely. I'm going to have to use that from now on!
#2099 Old 10-19-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Beezy View Post

And I was reading an old maxim magazine from April 2002 and they had an article about a soy product. The first line reads:

Usually the mere mention of the word soy is enough to make us run from the room for some raw veal to snack on.

Seems like a good way to show young impressionable male minds that soy and veggie products are something that a man should stay far far away from.

There DOES seem to be this idea floating around that veg*nism is inherently unmasculine, for some reason. I know this was a hurdle for my step son, when I went vegan. He's used to thinking of me as this big burly guy driving a big burly truck and working in a factory. How could I eat like a puff?

Of course, heart disease seems to be just as masculine as meat eating, so maybe we can all take a lesson(?). Anyway, I tell him that what makes me manly is standing up for what I believe in, and not letting a bunch of ignorant opinions about me scare me into being like everyone else.

The Rev
#2100 Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

There DOES seem to be this idea floating around that veg*nism is inherently unmasculine, for some reason. I know this was a hurdle for my step son, when I went vegan. He's used to thinking of me as this big burly guy driving a big burly truck and working in a factory. How could I eat like a puff?

Of course, heart disease seems to be just as masculine as meat eating, so maybe we can all take a lesson(?). Anyway, I tell him that what makes me manly is standing up for what I believe in, and not letting a bunch of ignorant opinions about me scare me into being like everyone else.

The Rev

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page