Stupid things omnivores say..... - Page 169 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#5041 Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

haha thats a great one! I am so sick and tired of reading all these magazines claiming that vegetarianism is a fad and a 'diet'

Or, in practically everything I read, a subtle suggestion that vegetarianism is a little too extreme.

"You don't have to give up fish, just be careful which ones you eat. You don't have to give up chicken, just remove the skin. You don't have to give up beef, just buy free-range and as lean as possible".

God forbid anyone should seriously consider giving up animal flesh.

OT RANT: I WANT THE OLD ROLLEYES SMILIE BACK! Even the previous one, which I didn't like as much as the one before that, wasn't all that bad. But this one

Back to the topic now.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#5042 Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

OT RANT: I WANT THE OLD ROLLEYES SMILIE BACK! Even the previous one, which I didn't like as much as the one before that, wasn't all that bad. But this one

Take it to the Stupid Little Gripes thread, Amy.
#5043 Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Medesha and Junia need to become regular posters in the Witty Responses thread. You guys have popped some great ones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#5044 Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Sadly (for purposes of the Witty Responses thread), I rarely have people challenge my vegetarianism. And when they do, I'm usually too polite to be witty. (I am Canadian, after all). And when I want to be witty, I usually can't think of anything until 2 am when I wake up in bed going, "That's what I should have said!"

But I'm good at thinking them up for other people.
#5045 Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

I rarely have people challenge my vegetarianism.

Same here. I hardly have anyone ask why even. I'm canadian too
#5046 Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm... does this mean I should move north to Canada?
#5047 Old 02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junia View Post

Hmm... does this mean I should move north to Canada?

I've thought about it, but it's so dang cold up there!
#5048 Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Beginner

friend: you can't hav this shrimp, u know yyyyy?

?

friend: because it's cooked in CHICKEN STOCK!!!

#5049 Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Beginner

friend: you can't hav this shrimp, u know yyyyy?

?

friend: because it's cooked in CHICKEN STOCK!!!

#5050 Old 02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:

"I thought so too, but then I saw your outfit and realized that old fads are back in style."

Oh Snapp!!
#5051 Old 02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sadly (for purposes of the Witty Responses thread), I rarely have people challenge my vegetarianism. And when they do, I'm usually too polite to be witty. (I am Canadian, after all). And when I want to be witty, I usually can't think of anything until 2 am when I wake up in bed going, "That's what I should have said!"

But I'm good at thinking them up for other people.

I hate when that happens. An hour or two later, and then it hits you with the perfect thing you could've said.
#5052 Old 03-01-2006, 06:43 AM

This is in reply to thread No. 35

Most 7 day adventist preach vegetarianism (lacto-ova) and there are many scriptural evidence in favour of vegetarianism ie 6th commandement thou shall not kill (and its NOT thou shall not murder-king james version is only uncorrupted source), Romans 14:21, genesis 1:29-1:30 and many more)

Also worth noting is that the 19 references in the new testament that supposedly say meat are actually incorrect translations, they should be saying "something to eat" or "nourishment". ( i can email my sources to ya if ya want)

Jesus preferred mercy over sacrifice (Matthew 9.13; 12.7) and was opposed to the buying and selling of animals for sacrifice (Matthew 21.12-14; Mark 11.15; John 2.14-15). One of the missions of Jesus was to do away with animal sacrifice and cruelty to animals (Hebrews 10.5-10).

Even the Bible (Genesis 1.21; 1.24; 1.30; 2.7; and in many other places) refers to both animals and people as nefesh chayah- living souls. My theory on this is that conservative christians purposely avoid this coz if animals had souls than reincarnation theories open up, and thus contradict the resurrection. Also because they wanto eat their meat!

Its also worth noting that many early christian sects ( there was no-one called christian but just factions/groups) were strict vegos ( e.g gnostics), but these groups were brutally suppressed by the roman catholic church (who were meat eaters). depends how you interpret it and which tranlsations u choose really. Most christians unfortunately choose the meat eating version. Even commandements like thou shall not kill-which is meant to be taken as a direct order (literally) and not interpreted. Which defeats the whole purpose of a commandement-to go to other sources and start interpreting!

All the christians ive come across have bn 2 narrow minded to accept any possibility of vegetarianism, Not even the idea of reducing slaughterhouses, so at least 3rd world countries get fed food resources that are normally wastes on feeding to animals. i realised were dealing with fanatics here, so what I normally say is "How can you pray to God for mercy if you show no mercy? How can you speak of rights and justice if you take an innocent creature and shed its blood? That gets them pissed off.
#5053 Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

krsna: Whoah. That's a little out of the blue for this thread, don't you think? And if you want to generalize about a group of people, take it to the debate area.

By the way, I'm a Christian, a pastor, and a vegan.
#5054 Old 03-01-2006, 10:18 AM

lets not forget 'well what the hell do you eat then?!!!'
#5055 Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The purple lady View Post

lets not forget 'well what the hell do you eat then?!!!'

I love that one! They're so perplexed, too -- they really don't know! lol
#5056 Old 03-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

To all:

Normally threads on VB get closed when they reach 5,000 posts or more, so guess what? When you have some new omni idiocy to post in this thread, you get to create a new thread! You can title it Stupid Things Omnivores Say...Part 2 I think that would help the mods.

(and perhaps include a link to this thread in the first post of the new thread).

*this space not for sale*
#5057 Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna View Post

This is in reply to thread No. 35

Most 7 day adventist preach vegetarianism (lacto-ova)....

Even though you're replying to a VERY OLD post, I need to comment that you might want to have your facts straight before posting...

7th Day Adventists don't "preach" vegetarianism, they simply advocate and encourage it as part of their belief in a healthy lifestyle, they also encourage a non-smoking, non-drinking lifestyle too, but it is not a necessary tenant of their religion.

Many Adventists do follow a vegan diet, and in the past few years MOST Adventist churches have recognized the health benefits of a vegan diet and have started presenting vegan (or '"strict vegetarian") "cooking schools" and classes for their congregations... that's how I learned a LOT of the vegan recipes I use...

OK, end of rant.
#5058 Old 03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

To all:

Normally threads on VB get closed when they reach 5,000 posts or more, so guess what? When you have some new omni idiocy to post in this thread, you get to create a new thread! You can title it Stupid Things Omnivores Say...Part 2 I think that would help the mods.

(and perhaps include a link to this thread in the first post of the new thread).

I don't wanna new thread I like this thread just the way it is, super duper long.
#5059 Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

#5060 Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

I don't wanna new thread I like this thread just the way it is, super duper long.

same here! i don't see the point of a new thread, unless a mod closes this one.
#5061 Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

No new thread! The charm of this thread is that it is not a slut thread and has lasted so long. This is a landmark! Let's keep it!
#5062 Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 AM

Today at work... a customer came in and was debating on whether he should get a turkey or veggie sandwich. I told him veggie was better and he was wondering if it'll taste good. He's now convince that going vegetarian is a way to go. =)
#5063 Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

Today at work... a customer came in and was debating on whether he should get a turkey or veggie sandwich. I told him veggie was better and he was wondering if it'll taste good. He's now convince that going vegetarian is a way to go. =)

so...did he say anything stupid?
#5064 Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

My friend yesterday, when seeing me eating rice, said "do you know how many leaves died for that?" Mind you I don't think she was being stupid, just silly. She meant it jokingly not really to make fun of me, but yeah, thought I'd post it because it was funny.
#5065 Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenosayres View Post

so...did he say anything stupid?

That would go in the "Nice things Omnivores Say" thread.
#5066 Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

That's very cool, though!
#5067 Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

New thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...24#post1175024

YUP! new thread...

We generally close threads that have reached 5,000 posts.

Carry on in the new thread!

Nec Aspera Terrent
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page