VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupid things omnivores say.....

382K views 5K replies 708 participants last post by  WonderRandy 
#1 ·
I don't think the line "Vegan food is boring" can be beaten for stupid and just plain incorrect (it's funny though that they eat vegan food all the time, except with meat... so if it was boring, they should eat just the meat).

Then there's other stuff like everyone being veg*n will allow Cows to become overpopulated.

I know there are more, I just can't think of them right now. Maybe I need to go hang out with some omnivores with a notepad and pen. Anyone have any?

#3,052 ·
It's a constant battle between us, so once in a while I try not to respond or instigate the never ending argument. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and a vegan for 1 year and never found a veg I liked enough to seriously date. I don't even have any real veg friends. I seriously thought my husband would change. I mean why wouldn't he? I'm not trying to change him. I just thought he would make the intelligent choice of going veg eventually. Afterall he is a pretty nice guy. At least he has decided to boycott KFC, this makes me happy.

I rant about him a lot in this thread and he knows it. It actually makes him laugh.

#3,053 ·
Oh my. Get a load of this one, it was kinda said in jest. This person likes to make fun with me. But it's still a ludicrous question...

"So, if you don't want to kill the animal, why don't you just eat bull balls?"

This one almost stunned me speechless. I finally managed "Why on earth would I want to?"

#3,055 ·
AM: you need protein somewhere.

Most people get too much. I guess they like kidney stones and gout a whole lot more than I do.

there's a article in this month's HEALTH mag. about how most people get way to much protein and that it can contribute to osteoporosis.. i want to carry it around with me!! anyway, it was a good article, i just dont remember all the facts at the moment.

another one i love is when people find out i'm veg. and say, "yeah, i don't eat a lot of red meat"

umm... can anyone tell me why chicken and fish don't count as "meat"? i'd really like to know where people came up with that one.

silly people.

btw, i'm from ohio too.. i noticed a couple other people that posted further up are also from this lovely state
lol

#3,056 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid View Post

Oh my. Get a load of this one, it was kinda said in jest. This person likes to make fun with me. But it's still a ludicrous question...

"So, if you don't want to kill the animal, why don't you just eat bull balls?"

This one almost stunned me speechless. I finally managed "Why on earth would I want to?"
Because that'd be cruel. If you don't believe me, let's try something...

#3,057 ·
there's a article in this month's HEALTH mag. about how most people get way to much protein and that it can contribute to osteoporosis.

Oh, absolutely. My understanding is that the body chops proteins up into amino acids, and that some are excreted directly, and some are metabolized into uric acid -- and that calcium somehow is involved in the process. Lots of protein can thus result in osteoporosis, gout (uric acid crystals in the joints), and kidney stones. A lot of stones are uric acid, so the connection there is clear. Mine are cystine. Acidic urine (eg., from lots of protein) contributes to their formation, and my understanding is that milk proteins are rich in methionine, which is metabolized into cystine. When I was ovo-lacto, I had three operations in eighteen months. After the third I went vegan for ethical reasons, and have been completely clear ever since.

another one i love is when people find out i'm veg. and say, "yeah, i don't eat a lot of red meat"

(groan) Chickens like to roost in trees, but I've never known them to grow off of them. Next time someone says that, tell them that you'd like to plant your own flounders, but can't find any stores that carry the seeds.

umm... can anyone tell me why chicken and fish don't count as "meat"?

Wishful thinking, denial, perhaps rooted in old Judeo-Christian pseudo-fasting customs -- as a loophole.

Back when I was an omni, I met at least one person who was astonished to learn that mainstream meat is muscle tissue. She'd thought that somehow it was just stuff found inside of animals for no apparent reason.

btw, i'm from ohio too.. i noticed a couple other people that posted further up are also from this lovely state
lol

I grew up in Pennsylvania, that hilly state to the east where all the amusement parts are small :)

#3,061 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

You forgot ham. For most people ham isn't meat either. Even for people saying they don't eat red meat.
Homer Simpson:\t*\tAre you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa:\t*\tNo.

Homer Simpson:\t*\tHam?

Lisa:\t*\tNo!

Homer Simpson:\t*\tPork chops?

Lisa:\t*\tDad, those all come from the same animal!

Homer Simpson:\t*\tHeh heh heh ... ooh ... yeah ... right, Lisa. A wonderful ... magical animal.

#3,062 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Homer Simpson:\t*\tAre you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Homer Simpson:\t*\tHeh heh heh ... ooh ... yeah ... right, Lisa. A wonderful ... magical animal.
Hehe. My sig comes from the same episode. I can't WAIT 'til Season Seven (from whence the ep came) arrives on DVD!

#3,063 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

there's a article in this month's HEALTH mag. about how most people get way to much protein and that it can contribute to osteoporosis.

Oh, absolutely. My understanding is that the body chops proteins up into amino acids, and that some are excreted directly, and some are metabolized into uric acid -- and that calcium somehow is involved in the process. Lots of protein can thus result in osteoporosis, gout (uric acid crystals in the joints), and kidney stones. A lot of stones are uric acid, so the connection there is clear. Mine are cystine. Acidic urine (eg., from lots of protein) contributes to their formation, and my understanding is that milk proteins are rich in methionine, which is metabolized into cystine. When I was ovo-lacto, I had three operations in eighteen months. After the third I went vegan for ethical reasons, and have been completely clear ever since.
The sulfur containing amino acids are relatively strongly acidic and many amino acids are metabolized to keto acids. When they make their way down to the kidney the kidneys will exchange protons in the filtrate (soon to be urine) for calcuim ions in plasma to prevent acidic urine. That's why everyone on this planet should stop drinking Coke.

*weeps bitterly*

#3,064 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

The sulfur containing amino acids are relatively strongly acidic and many amino acids are metabolized to keto acids. When they make their way down to the kidney the kidneys will exchange protons in the filtrate (soon to be urine) for calcuim ions in plasma to prevent acidic urine. That's why everyone on this planet should stop drinking Coke.

*weeps bitterly*
is anyone willing to elaborate more on this (perhaps in another thread) ? I always tell people about too much protein leeching calcium out of the bones but dont exactly understand the whole process.

#3,065 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstone View Post

is anyone willing to elaborate more on this (perhaps in another thread) ? I always tell people about too much protein leeching calcium out of the bones but dont exactly understand the whole process.
I second that. It seems important enough to take this to another thread for further discussion.

#3,066 ·
Quote:

The sulfur containing amino acids are relatively strongly acidic and many amino acids are metabolized to keto acids. When they make their way down to the kidney the kidneys will exchange protons in the filtrate (soon to be urine) for calcuim ions in plasma to prevent acidic urine.
Wow.
8^)

Know anything about how dietary citrus and K citrate work to alkalinize?

That's why everyone on this planet should stop drinking Coke.

I gave the stuff up back around 1986 when they messed with it.

#3,067 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Thanks Coney, lol!

#3,068 ·
Quote:

*weeps bitterly*
*head spins*

You are one smart cookie.

#3,069 ·
on vacation in California,at lunch with my FIL.As I'm putting baco's on my salad:

FIL:There's meat in that .

Me:No actually there's not.

FIL:yes there is

ME:no there isn't it's vegan

ME:whatever

That actually went on for a while.

Later at the table.

FIL:Ok so I can understand your reasons for not eating meat that's factory farmed and stuff but what about fish?Why don't you eat fish?It's not like meat or anything.And they not farmed they just get yanked out of the water.That hook doesn't hurt him.

When I was eating that 1000 calorie burger and greasy french fries,no one cared.Now that I eat healthy(and so much yummier)everyone argues with me over my lunch.Arrghh.

#3,072 ·
I'm putting baco's on my salad:

FIL:There's meat in that.

(sigh) I saw a snippet of a sitcom the other day where a teenager had just come out to his parents about being vegetarian, and the clueless yet well-meaning mom made a veg-friendly dinner - stuff like a salad topped with crumbled bacon, etc.

There's a Monty Python joke in there somewhere but I'm restraining myself.

FIL:Ok so I can understand your reasons for not eating meat that's factory farmed and stuff but what about fish?Why don't you eat fish?It's not like meat or anything.And they not farmed

Salmon for sure are -- and are fed huge amounts of other, wild-caught fish.

they just get yanked out of the water.That hook doesn't hurt him.

Oh, so they don't strenuously resist being caught and don't flop around in mortal pain when landed?

grrr

When I was eating that 1000 calorie burger and greasy french fries,no one cared.Now that I eat healthy(and so much yummier)everyone argues with me over my lunch.Arrghh.

Easy -- you're making them look bad.

#3,073 ·
anthony11 Salmon for sure are -- and are fed huge amounts of other said:
I tried explaining it to him but he just didn't get it.

I also had yet another argument about fish eating vegetarians.My friend absolutely refused to accept that people who eat fish are not vegetarians.This from the same person who sent me the videos that started my veg*n journey.>but don't bash him too much,he is actually the most supportive person I know.

#3,074 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFaery View Post

on vacation in California,at lunch with my FIL.As I'm putting baco's on my salad:

FIL:There's meat in that .

ME:whatever

That actually went on for a while.
Did you show him the ingredients label? ........... Know what I'm waiting for? - "wouldn't it be easier to just eat the bacon, (turkey, whatever)?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFaery View Post

This is happening to hubby and me with his mom ALL THE TIME NOW. She's over 240 lbs, has heart disease, thyroid problems, high blood pressure, acid reflux, IBS, diverticulitus, depression, hypoglycemia, high cholesterol and had breast cancer. When we were eating her disgusting burgers and fried everything everything with chips and oreos everything was all happiness and sunshine but when we took control of our health and made a compassionate decision to quit using animals and killing them for food..........

Nuclear effing explosion! She completely blew. He's going to get sick, he's too skinny, that's no way to raise children, I'm killing her boy. (even though he's wanted to go veg for years), etc........

Now every time my husband tries to speak to his mom he gets........
Last time he stopped by she was still trying to get him to eat fried chicken.
He's always hated fried chicken. He's just going to stay away for a while, he ends up feeling angry and hurt and it's just not good for him.

It's pretty obvious to me that when you start eating healthy meals in the presence of hard-core garbage eaters they will get VERY defensive and attack you mercilessly in order to feel better about what they damn well know they shouldn't be doing, killing themselves with a fork.

#3,076 ·
I also had yet another argument about fish eating vegetarians.

A classic contradiction in terms. If people chose to eat such a diet, I really wish they'd call themselves pescetarians instead. I had an ex-inlaw who called herself a vegetarian, but ate aquatic animals with almost every meal. It was amusing when she tried to get me to eat her anchovy-laden Chex mix.

My friend absolutely refused to accept that people who eat fish are not vegetarians.

My response to that sort of thing is to ask if they have a cod tree in their yard. Of course, eggs and dairy are just as incongruous with the 'veg' root in 'vegetarian', which is why I often use the term 'meatless' instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.