Stupid things omnivores say..... - Page 122 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#3631 Old 05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenybean View Post

A teacher I worked with told me she stopped eating meat after she had her daughter. It turned her stomach. Then her hair got thin & started to fall out. Her doc. told her she was missing protein & had to eat red meat for her hair to grow back! Another is this living in South Louisiana, when everyone is boiling crabs, crawfish & shrimp, I ALWAYS get asked if I eat them. When I say no they tell me that crabs, crawfish & shrimp aren't REALLY meat. Huh? On the up side to that, family now boils veggies for me (before the crawfish...) so I can at least have something to enjoy along with their company. That is a milestone here.



I feel sorry for anybody whose doctor tells them they have to eat red meat to be healthy.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3632 Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
4EverGrounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I feel sorry for anybody whose doctor tells them they have to eat red meat to be healthy.

True. Most omni docs are usually telling patients they need to *avoid* red meat to be healthy.
4EverGrounded is offline  
#3633 Old 05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
treehuggerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingVeg View Post

I think Vitamin A generally comes from animal sources, but humans can synthesize Vitamin A from Beta-Carotene, which is a vegetable product. It's likely your friend just got confused.



Carrots have Vitamin A, I think... at least, that's what they said in my child care classes. (I made a pain of myself in the nutrition chapter because every time the teacher gave meat examples for vitamins or minerals I kept asking "so what other foods have that in it? Like veggies?" It got to where she finally started listing off the meat sources... "and then, for Sarah, there's also iron in <blablabla>" And cue the eye-rolling from the rest of the class.
treehuggerchick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3634 Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Newbie
 
Wulfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
"Is it then ok to eat cow eyeballs?"



"How would the cows feel about being replaced by pleather?"
Wulfie is offline  
#3635 Old 05-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post

"Is it then ok to eat cow eyeballs?" "How would the cows feel about being replaced by pleather?"

I'd feel compelled to reply to the latter: "I'm sure they'd be quite mooooved". I'd no doubt get 'd, but it'd be worth it.
anthony11 is offline  
#3636 Old 05-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggerchick View Post

Carrots have Vitamin A, I think... at least, that's what they said in my child care classes.

Yep. Vitamin A can be tricky -- ODing on it is bad, and my understanding is that the "vitamin A palmitate" that is often listed on product labels isn't really bioavailable -- it's basically a *lubricant*.

I find it interesting that much (all?) commercial fortified milk isn't ovo-lacto vegetarian because the vitamin D comes from fish oil.

Quote:
(I made a pain of myself in the nutrition chapter because every time the teacher gave meat examples for vitamins or minerals I kept asking "so what other foods have that in it? Like veggies?" It got to where she finally started listing off the meat sources... "and then, for Sarah, there's also iron in <blablabla>" And cue the eye-rolling from the rest of the class.

I would have been tempted to phrase that differently - something like "So what sources are there for <foo> that won't give me constipation, kidney stones, and colorectal cancer?" I'd also be tempted to go up a level and suggest that the instructors display a bit more awareness for religious beliefs.
anthony11 is offline  
#3637 Old 05-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenybean View Post

. When I say no they tell me that crabs, crawfish & shrimp aren't REALLY meat. Huh? On the up side to that, family now boils veggies for me (before the crawfish...) so I can at least have something to enjoy along with their company. That is a milestone here.

Are these the sorts of veggies you might eat raw?
anthony11 is offline  
#3638 Old 05-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenybean View Post

A teacher I worked with told me she stopped eating meat after she had her daughter. It turned her stomach. Then her hair got thin & started to fall out. Her doc. told her she was missing protein & had to eat red meat for her hair to grow back! Another is this living in South Louisiana, when everyone is boiling crabs, crawfish & shrimp, I ALWAYS get asked if I eat them. When I say no they tell me that crabs, crawfish & shrimp aren't REALLY meat. Huh? On the up side to that, family now boils veggies for me (before the crawfish...) so I can at least have something to enjoy along with their company. That is a milestone here.



Just last night at a chinese restaurant I was told I could eat a shrimp dish because shrimp are not animals, they are insects!
GhostUser is offline  
#3639 Old 05-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
thebelovedtree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenybean View Post

A teacher I worked with told me she stopped eating meat after she had her daughter. It turned her stomach. Then her hair got thin & started to fall out. Her doc. told her she was missing protein & had to eat red meat for her hair to grow back!



Isn't is really common for a womans hair to thin after pregnancy regardless of diet because of hormonal changes?
thebelovedtree is offline  
#3640 Old 05-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SeaSiren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

Isn't is really common for a womans hair to thin after pregnancy regardless of diet because of hormonal changes?

SeaSiren is offline  
#3641 Old 05-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cheekywhiskers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Just last night at a chinese restaurant I was told I could eat a shrimp dish because shrimp are not animals, they are insects!



Of course insects aren't animals, they're fungi. My reply to the shrimp, crab, clam etc. comments is that I never liked them even when I did eat meat and that is the truth. Either that or the person gets a biology lecture and how the term animal is misunderstood by people.
cheekywhiskers is offline  
#3642 Old 05-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

Of course insects aren't animals, they're fungi. My reply to the shrimp, crab, clam etc. comments is that I never liked them even when I did eat meat and that is the truth. Either that or the person gets a biology lecture and how the term animal is misunderstood by people.



At first, I assumed they were joking then I looked at their faces and realized they actually believed they were insects. I did a brief variation on the biology lesson and they looked at me like I had three heads. How in the blue hell do people pop out with this stuff?

GhostUser is offline  
#3643 Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

I'd feel compelled to reply to the latter: "I'm sure they'd be quite mooooved". I'd no doubt get 'd, but it'd be worth it.



Oh, Anthony, I am sooo going to have to remember that one.
froggythefrog is offline  
#3644 Old 05-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Just last night at a chinese restaurant I was told I could eat a shrimp dish because shrimp are not animals, they are insects!



I know it's the people offering you the food who were stupid, but I must compulsively clarify. Shrimp are crustaceans (sp?) in the same family as lobsters and crabs. Both crustaceans and insects have exoskeletons and are animals.
froggythefrog is offline  
#3645 Old 05-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Always consume vitamin A in the form of beta carotene (and other cartenoids) and you will be fine. Your body turns these into vitamin A and stops when you have a sufficient amount. I would rather drink carrot juice or eat my orange and yellow veggies than overdose on a supplement.
froggythefrog is offline  
#3646 Old 05-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Let's get to the heart of the matter here: It's obvious that there are a LOT of people out there who are so confused and uninformed about the veg*an diet that they seek to differentiate between "animals we don't eat" and "animals we DO eat", regardless of what those animals are. These poor, misguided souls have to be CONSTANTLY reminded that strict veg*ans don't eat ANY animals of ANY kind at all.



<sigh>

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#3647 Old 05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular
 
MEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 749
There's a woman at work who was telling me that she's figured out that the best diet for her to go on (and this was based on her "blood type") was to cut out all red meat, but still eat chicken and fish. She was complaining that she didn't know how she could do it. I told her that it was pretty easy. Her response was "But I'm a carnivore! I have to eat meat!"

I really didn't feel like pointing out that chicken and fish don't grow on bushes since she wouldn't have listened anyway (she's always right).
MEM is offline  
#3648 Old 05-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post

There's a woman at work who was telling me that she's figured out that the best diet for her to go on (and this was based on her "blood type") was to cut out all red meat, but still eat chicken and fish. She was complaining that she didn't know how she could do it. I told her that it was pretty easy. Her response was "But I'm a carnivore! I have to eat meat!"

I really didn't feel like pointing out that chicken and fish don't grow on bushes since she wouldn't have listened anyway (she's always right).



I have to laugh. My first move towards veg*anism was to cut out red meat entirely because I kept reading about all the health problems red meat causes. I had NO problem whatsoever managing without it, and didn't miss it at all. It wasn't until I became more enlightened about the horrible treatment of food animals that I couldn't eat any of the other flesh foods as well.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#3649 Old 05-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Yet another tedious encounter with my ex...



Him: "I got the girls some Beef Jerky"

Me: "You know I won't give it to them, they're vegetarian under my roof."

Him: "It's JERKY, not an animal."

Me: "And the word 'BEEF' on the label means...what?"

Him: "Well it doesn't mean it's actually MADE from beef..."



I just walked off - I don't deal well with stupidity.....
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#3650 Old 05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Yet another tedious encounter with my ex...



Him: "I got the girls some Beef Jerky"

Me: "You know I won't give it to them, they're vegetarian under my roof."

Him: "It's JERKY, not an animal."

Me: "And the word 'BEEF' on the label means...what?"

Him: "Well it doesn't mean it's actually MADE from beef..."



I just walked off - I don't deal well with stupidity.....



TNS: ---->



I completely understand.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#3651 Old 05-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
It's the dried meat of an animal left over after the cuts of steak are made. Dried meat, end of story.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Yet another tedious encounter with my ex...



Him: "I got the girls some Beef Jerky"

Me: "You know I won't give it to them, they're vegetarian under my roof."

Him: "It's JERKY, not an animal."

Me: "And the word 'BEEF' on the label means...what?"

Him: "Well it doesn't mean it's actually MADE from beef..."



I just walked off - I don't deal well with stupidity.....

froggythefrog is offline  
#3652 Old 05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Thanks Amy, Thanks Froggy... I don't deal well with stupid omni ex encounters on the best of days... I love you guys and the support I get here...
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#3653 Old 05-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned
 
FreshTart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Him: "Well it doesn't mean it's actually MADE from beef..."





He's right, though. Bison jerky is very popular where I live.



<<missing the point
FreshTart is offline  
#3654 Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
thatoneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 83
Today in my Psychology class this girl was talking about how chocolate milk calms kids down at night. I said "Or soy milk if you don't drink milk". The teacher told the lady "you're sitting next to a vegetarian then proceded to tell the class what I though about milk... (The teacher believes me by the way).



Then I was like yeah, theres about 1 to 7 drops of puss in every class of milk.

Then this other girl was like "No, I was raised on a dairy farm"...blah blah blah ...and we were arguing back and forth. She was very quick to argue with me and try to prove me wrong, just cause she was raised on a dairy farm.

I don't drink much milk, but I'm not a vegan and this still P'd me off. After class I went up to the teacher and said, "See how people act when the truth comes out". She said "Yeah, but I believe you".
thatoneguy is offline  
#3655 Old 05-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
beckyphry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

She was very quick to argue with me and try to prove me wrong, just cause she was raised on a dairy farm.



I had a similar experience years ago. I was trying to explain how the dairy industry supports the veal industry, and how dairy cows are kept pregnant, etc. This girl at work who was raised on a dairy farm kept trying to argue with me because her family's cows were raised differently (so they all must be that way, right??). It blew my mind that she actually believed that ALL dairy cows live lives of luxury, eating grass and giving some milk til they peacefully pass on due to old age
beckyphry is offline  
#3656 Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
thatoneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post

I had a similar experience years ago. I was trying to explain how the dairy industry supports the veal industry, and how dairy cows are kept pregnant, etc. This girl at work who was raised on a dairy farm kept trying to argue with me because her family's cows were raised differently (so they all must be that way, right??). It blew my mind that she actually believed that ALL dairy cows live lives of luxury, eating grass and giving some milk til they peacefully pass on due to old age



That's crazy! I told her I wasn't talking about little farms, I was talking about factory farms (I said big farms). She said she's been to those farms, too, and she still believes what she does. What should I say to her if she brings it up?
thatoneguy is offline  
#3657 Old 05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Newbie
 
treehuggerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

That's crazy! I told her I wasn't talking about little farms, I was talking about factory farms (I said big farms). She said she's been to those farms, too, and she still believes what she does. What should I say to her if she brings it up?



Don't say anything. Just swing. *hands thatoneguy a sledgehammer*
treehuggerchick is offline  
#3658 Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

That's crazy! I told her I wasn't talking about little farms, I was talking about factory farms (I said big farms). She said she's been to those farms, too, and she still believes what she does. What should I say to her if she brings it up?



Don't say anything. Simply hand her a copy of "Meet Your Meat".

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#3659 Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
thatoneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 83
LOL, okay.
thatoneguy is offline  
#3660 Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Newbie
 
treehuggerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Don't say anything. Simply hand her a copy of "Meet Your Meat".



Eh, I like my idea better. *takes a couple of practice swings*Or we could go the classic American route.
treehuggerchick is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off