Stupid things omnivores say..... - Page 121 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#3601 Old 05-17-2005, 08:21 AM

friend: I'm worried about your health! You won't get enough protein.

response: I'm worried about your health. You might have a heart attack from eating that piece of steak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3602 Old 05-18-2005, 11:49 PM

I went to burger king the other night and ordered a veggie burger combo. The guy at the drive-up window hands it too me:

BK guy: I don't know why you would eat that

me: Rather eat this then meat

BK guy: But it doesn't even taste good!

me: Tastes better then carcass

BK guy: ...

He just had this blank stare as if it had never occurred to him. I don't understand the giant leap between beef and dead cow???
#3603 Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

ERRRGH I was so angry today!

I had a friend that used to be a vegetarian. She was scoffing at me for talking about some vegan food...don't remember what...and I looked at her skeptically and asked, "Are you still a vegetarian?"

She got all haughty and replied, "Not since I fainted!" like it was EXPECTED for her to faint.

I just wanted to STRANGLE her!!! It's damned rare for a (non-ED-cover-up) VEGAN to faint, let alone a freaking vegetarian. What was she eating? Celery? *broods*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3604 Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM

I actually used to have a friend who claimed that a vegan diet is bad for you because it's so high in cholesterol... I just wanted to smack him.

Then I talked to someone online who said that it's more compassionate to eat cows because if you were a vegetarian, you'd be responsible for the deaths of the animals who are killed by the harvesting machines where the veggies/grain is harvested. Then I brought up that I don't eat as much grain as those cows, so if I ate the cow, I'd be responsible for the deaths of the cows as well as the animals in the field. Then he said "so just be responsible for fewer deaths and eat meat"...

So many stupid people.
#3605 Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Omg this thread is making me an angry person! Ahh!
#3606 Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

I remember a peanut butter scene in "Lost".... the British muso Charlie offers the pregnant Aussie girl (Claire?) some "pretend" pb.

I think hers is the only real Aussie accent in that series (apart from one of the flight attendants who was a soap star here... Kimberly Joseph or something). And those airport scenes.... lol.... that is so not Sydney airport.

I was confused about the terrist threats in the Sydney airport... has Mr. Bush talked to the sacurity dudes in your country to?

I loved the "pb" thing! I thought it was so cute! and whats-her-name (the killer) is vegetarian... now I just have to figure out why she kills humans but won't eat a cow???

Stupid/anoying thing:

I brought vegan brownies for my class, and half the class refused to try them because "I don't eat anything unless it has milk in it" and "it's not sweet enough" and variose other excuses I'm not cooking for them again!
#3607 Old 05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggerchick View Post

I actually used to have a friend who claimed that a vegan diet is bad for you because it's so high in cholesterol... I just wanted to smack him.

Vegan diet has 0 cholesterol. None.
#3608 Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

I brought vegan brownies for my class, and half the class refused to try them because "I don't eat anything unless it has milk in it" and "it's not sweet enough" and variose other excuses I'm not cooking for them again!

That's why you don't tell them they are vegan until after they tell you how good they are.
#3609 Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

She is still alive, isn't she?

Yeah she is.

She usually doesnt eat red meat because of the danger of falling asleep during bad situations (Like riding on the back of a motorcycle), but she was in a country where its considered a bit rude to refuse food.
#3610 Old 05-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm "out" as a vegetarian to all of my friends at work. No big deal, no wierd comments, no worries. Well, I get to lunch early today, and it's just me and one other guy, he's newer to our group and doesn't know about my veg*nism. Well, he asks if I'm vegetarian, I say yes. His response is "it's great, but it's just too strict, not eating meat." I had no response--I was floored. Um, too strict? It's not like this is forced on anyone; this is a choice! So, I tell him that I've felt a lot better since becoming veg. He starts telling me it's probably because I have control over what I'm eating. Again, I'm floored. I'm 28 and have been feeding myself for years; it's not like I'm 16 and rebelling against my parents! Too bizarre!
#3611 Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I just remembered this story from a few months back:

I was out to diner with my mock team and everyone ordered; and I decided just to have a salad to avoid the whole, 'what's in this, and this, ...', because it was a big group. One of the other girls when our meal came out declaired, 'oh yea, your a vegetarian right?' ; of coarse lapsing in every single person into a complete silence as they stared at me. I replied slowley in the affirmative, and she laughed and said to everyone else rolling her eyes, 'it's a freshmen thing. You'll get over it soon and return to normal as soon as you see a steak.'

That's a way to add fun to any meal. I wanted to shrivel up and die, and I didn't enjoy my overpriced lettus one bit. They all launched into a discussion about how stupid people are who don't eat meat; and how "those people" (one of which who was sitting there the whole time ) just don't realize that those animals wouldn't even be there if it weren't for the meat industry, because we wouldn't need them. I tried to get a sentence in regardless of the overwhelming concencus around me ; but before I finished a guy interupted and declaired 'that was the real problem with vegetarians. They try to sell it to everyone and talk about "the horrors of the meat industry" '.

#3612 Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I was eating with a group of new people a few days ago. The assemble-it-yourself meal was tuna sandwiches, and I'd prepared myself a nice sandwich of bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, mayo, and ketchup. While in the serving line, the person across the serving table from me said, "You don't like tuna?"

"Nope, I don't care for it." I responded.

"Are you a vegetarian?" he asked. (Hey, at least he didn't think that vegetarians eat fish!)

"Yes." I was brief because I didn't want to get into it.

"Why?" This guy wasn't giving up.

"It works for me." I'm done making my food and am ready to go find a table.

"But tuna has lots of protein in it," he told me, as though I must not know.

I turned and walked away.

He called after me, "And omega-3s and folic acid!" I didn't respond.

*shakes head* Why are some people SO DENSE that they insist on pushing their opinions on people who are giving all the nonverbal and verbal cues that they don't wish to discuss the matter?!!! He brought it up, not me. He has no right to assume I wanted to talk about what I'm eating, and he shouldn't have assumed I wanted his criticism about my diet.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3613 Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

"But tuna has lots of protein in it," he told me, as though I must not know.

Sad. I would have said something like "Oh, good point. I haven't had a kidney stone operation in *ages* and I really miss those". If I were feeling extra ornery that day I'd describe the procedure and watch him turn green.

Quote:
He called after me, "And omega-3s and folic acid!" I didn't respond.

"I get those in my breakfast cereal" is what I would have said.

I'm generally polite to people for the first couple of rounds, but when they persist it sort of rubs me the wrong way.
#3614 Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Except I usually don't eat breakfast cereal. I'm a fruit-for-breakfast girl, in general.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3615 Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Except I usually don't eat breakfast cereal. I'm a fruit-for-breakfast girl, in general.

Good for you! I try to do that, but often a sugary taste doesn't appeal to me. I need to find some fruit that isn't sweet
#3616 Old 05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by debatechick View Post

I was out to diner with my mock team and everyone ordered; and I decided just to have a salad to avoid the whole, 'what's in this, and this, ...', because it was a big group. One of the other girls when our meal came out declaired, 'oh yea, your a vegetarian right?' ; of coarse lapsing in every single person into a complete silence as they stared at me. I replied slowley in the affirmative, and she laughed and said to everyone else rolling her eyes, 'it's a freshmen thing. You'll get over it soon and return to normal as soon as you see a steak.'

That's a way to add fun to any meal. I wanted to shrivel up and die, and I didn't enjoy my overpriced lettus one bit. They all launched into a discussion about how stupid people are who don't eat meat; and how "those people" (one of which who was sitting there the whole time ) just don't realize that those animals wouldn't even be there if it weren't for the meat industry, because we wouldn't need them. I tried to get a sentence in regardless of the overwhelming concencus around me ; but before I finished a guy interupted and declaired 'that was the real problem with vegetarians. They try to sell it to everyone and talk about "the horrors of the meat industry" '.

I know it must mean something else, but I feel compelled to ask if you were surprised that a mock team mocked you

(yeah yeah, I know. I was compelled. )
#3617 Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that is unbelievably rude. If it were me I probably would have gotten up and left and been like, you know what else "those people just don't understand" is why everyone feels the need to insult them to justify their own diet. Actually, I'm not quick witted enough to think of something like that to say but I doubt that I would have stayed...ohh I'm getting mad just imagining what that must have been like for you! What twits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debatechick View Post

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#3618 Old 05-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard some great advice from someone

"Don't be a vegan, it's bad for you"

He also believes most veggies eat fish. rolls eyes.
#3619 Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrell View Post

I went to burger king the other night and ordered a veggie burger combo. The guy at the drive-up window hands it too me:

BK guy: I don't know why you would eat that

me: Rather eat this then meat

BK guy: But it doesn't even taste good!

me: Tastes better then carcass

BK guy: ...

He just had this blank stare as if it had never occurred to him. I don't understand the giant leap between beef and dead cow???

Yeah I've just about given up on Burger King.

I asked for the BKvege to be microwaved instead of cooked on the grill. The person at the counter didn't seem to have an issue. Then outback I hear "why would anyone want it microwaved? There are less calories if it is grilled." As if the only people who would ever buy the BKvege are dieters.

Then a few days later I do the same thing only explain that I'm vegetarian and just don't want the burger to touch the grease on the grill. The girl at the counter just gave me a friendly smile and and said "ah, ok" and told the people in the back the special order. Then they tell me they can't cook it in the microwave, claiming it won't cook right. I told them they just did it the other day. Then they send over the manager to tell me that they can't cook it like that, so I go on about how they are morningstar burgers and they have the same cook time as the ones in the store. The manager looked like she had one too many coffees and was freaking out about all the orders coming in, so she just told them to do it. I wish I was a little more quick minded and asked them "so what does 'Have it your way' mean anyway?"

(Warning if you need to give them the cooking time, it's 1 minute. I told them 2 and apparently their microwaves are very high wattage)
#3620 Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

A couple weeks ago one of my friends asked me if I was getting enough Vitamin A. I'm used to hearing the usual protein thing from omnis but Vit A?? Am I wrong or aren't veggies and lentils a more prominent source of Vit A anyway? Seems like a pretty thin argument to me. I guess my friend taking a stab at playing the nutritionist isn't really working out for her. I've also seen this same person eat almost an entire package of marshmellow peeps in one sitting.
#3621 Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

If anyone ever says "You'll be eating meat soon - It's just a phase" I'll say "It's a bloody long one then - It's been going eight years!"
#3622 Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 AM

i work at BK and the new CORPORATE GUIDELINES have us nuking the veggie in a container and handling it with separate tongs than what we use for the meat.
#3623 Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM

I have been travelling a lot and I've run into different things with BK. I ALWAYS ask for it to be microwaved, some people seem confused, but do it, others oblige, and most tell me that it's required so that's good.

I just think it's better to ask in the first place then to have to go back and cause a scene
#3624 Old 05-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

A couple weeks ago one of my friends asked me if I was getting enough Vitamin A. I'm used to hearing the usual protein thing from omnis but Vit A?? Am I wrong or aren't veggies and lentils a more prominent source of Vit A anyway? Seems like a pretty thin argument to me. I guess my friend taking a stab at playing the nutritionist isn't really working out for her. I've also seen this same person eat almost an entire package of marshmellow peeps in one sitting.

I think Vitamin A generally comes from animal sources, but humans can synthesize Vitamin A from Beta-Carotene, which is a vegetable product. It's likely your friend just got confused.
#3625 Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 AM

I am 31 years old and happily married to a woman.

I have been called a fag repeatedly for trying to eat vegetarian.
#3626 Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlx View Post

I dunno man, i don't think it matters that you're married to a woman, being veggie is a sure sign of homosexuality. Real men eat MEAT!

(sarcasm)
#3627 Old 05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

I dunno man, i don't think it matters that you're married to a woman, being veggie is a sure sign of homosexuality. Real men eat MEAT!

(sarcasm)

Then I guess I better start looking only at bisexual men if I intend to find a veg*n spouse someday. ;-)

#3628 Old 05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlx View Post

I don't quite get that! I've never been referred to as being gay because I'm a vegetarian. It does amuse me how a sane person could make that connection. I also find it amusing how the term "fag" is used as a word meaning "a gay person." To me, if someone says "fag" I think of someone smoking - As this video demonstrates
#3629 Old 05-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I don't quite get that! I've never been referred to as being gay because I'm a vegetarian. It does amuse me how a sane person could make that connection. I also find it amusing how the term "fag" is used as a word meaning "a gay person." To me, if someone says "fag" I think of someone smoking - As this video demonstrates

Eh...it's of little concern. It says more about the person saying it than it ever could about me.
#3630 Old 05-20-2005, 02:13 PM

A teacher I worked with told me she stopped eating meat after she had her daughter. It turned her stomach. Then her hair got thin & started to fall out. Her doc. told her she was missing protein & had to eat red meat for her hair to grow back! Another is this living in South Louisiana, when everyone is boiling crabs, crawfish & shrimp, I ALWAYS get asked if I eat them. When I say no they tell me that crabs, crawfish & shrimp aren't REALLY meat. Huh? On the up side to that, family now boils veggies for me (before the crawfish...) so I can at least have something to enjoy along with their company. That is a milestone here.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page