• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Avril
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By WinterReign
  • 1 Post By WinterReign
  • 1 Post By WinterReign

#1 Old 10-14-2016, 04:47 PM

Developing milk intolerance?

Hello everyone, I've been a vegetarian for a little over two months now. The first month and a half was very easy for me and I had no issues or cravings whatsoever. However, I seem to be having a few issues now that seem to be interrelated.

For about two weeks now I have been craving milk and sweets. Those are two things I never really consumed before becoming a vegetarian, they just never appealed to me. Now though, I really crave them. An issue I am having with milk now is that it gives me diarrhea and horrible stomach cramps. I used to be able to consume milk without an issue, but it seems that I am developing an intolerance. Is this common? I am able to cheese and sour cream without any issue.

I know that milk seems to be the culprit because all of the times that I have gotten ill it has been within 30 minutes or an hour of consuming a glass of milk.

What can I do about this issue? Has this happened to anyone else? Also, are these cravings for sweets and milk normal and what can I do to combat them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Impeach the gangster

You can combat the milk issue by switching to a plant-based milk, like almond or soy. They're much less likely to disrupt your digestion. They're quite satisfying too.

I crave sweets sometimes, and I usually just indulge a little. After a while, the cravings pass. If the sweets aren't making you sick, what's the harm in a little dessert?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 10-14-2016 at 05:46 PM.
#3 Old 10-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterReign View Post
Hello everyone, I've been a vegetarian for a little over two months now. The first month and a half was very easy for me and I had no issues or cravings whatsoever. However, I seem to be having a few issues now that seem to be interrelated.

For about two weeks now I have been craving milk and sweets. Those are two things I never really consumed before becoming a vegetarian, they just never appealed to me. Now though, I really crave them. An issue I am having with milk now is that it gives me diarrhea and horrible stomach cramps. I used to be able to consume milk without an issue, but it seems that I am developing an intolerance. Is this common? I am able to cheese and sour cream without any issue.

I know that milk seems to be the culprit because all of the times that I have gotten ill it has been within 30 minutes or an hour of consuming a glass of milk.

What can I do about this issue? Has this happened to anyone else? Also, are these cravings for sweets and milk normal and what can I do to combat them?

Cravings for high-calorie foods (sweets, certain dairy products, fried foods) can happen if you're not consuming enough calories (ask me how I know).

Not eating enough calories is one of the most common mistakes made by new vegetarians. This mistake is very easy to make, because vegetarian staple foods (legumes, whole grains, fruit, vegetables) are low in calories, compared to most meats. On a low-fat vegetarian diet, it's possible to eat until you're full, yet still not get enough calories.

Here's how to fix it.

First, use a calorie-requirements calculator to estimate your calorie needs: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...r/itt-20084939

Next, just remember this calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of cooked beans/legumes contains about 230 calories

One cup of cooked grains/pasta contains about 190 calories

One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

For example, I need to eat about 2500 calories per day to maintain my weight. Can you see how much beans, grains etc. I have to eat to do this? I have to stuff myself! Including nuts, nut butters, and/or seeds in your diet is an easy way to make sure you're getting enough calories.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
You can combat the milk issue by switching to a plant-based milk, like almond or soy. They're much less likely to disrupt your digestion. They're quite satisfying too.

I crave sweets sometimes, and I usually just indulge a little. After a while, the cravings pass. If the sweets aren't making you sick, what's the harm in a little dessert?
I've bought Almond milk a few times in the past and I really like the taste! However, I do not consume enough of it before I have to throw it away. I only drink milk about twice a month, so it seems like a waste to buy something that only I will consume and then not even finish. Therefore, I've been reading up about making my own milk, and right now oat milk seems like a great alternative so thank you for the suggestion. Now I just have to worry about finding what spices or sweeteners to add to make it taste good to me.
#5 Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Cravings for high-calorie foods (sweets, certain dairy products, fried foods) can happen if you're not consuming enough calories (ask me how I know).

Not eating enough calories is one of the most common mistakes made by new vegetarians. This mistake is very easy to make, because vegetarian staple foods (legumes, whole grains, fruit, vegetables) are low in calories, compared to most meats. On a low-fat vegetarian diet, it's possible to eat until you're full, yet still not get enough calories.

Here's how to fix it.

First, use a calorie-requirements calculator to estimate your calorie needs:

Next, just remember this calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of cooked beans/legumes contains about 230 calories

One cup of cooked grains/pasta contains about 190 calories

One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

For example, I need to eat about 2500 calories per day to maintain my weight. Can you see how much beans, grains etc. I have to eat to do this? I have to stuff myself! Including nuts, nut butters, and/or seeds in your diet is an easy way to make sure you're getting enough calories.
Hmm, the cravings do seem to make sense now that I think about it. I realize now that I was severely depriving myself of calories without even noticing. Two weeks ago I completely forgot to include beans/legumes in my diet. I mostly ate just fruits and veggies and the occasional pasta or bread. That too would explain why I felt lightheaded that week.

So how do you know that not consuming enough calories causes those cravings?

I followed your advice and calculated my calories needs. Apparently, I need to consume about 1800 calories a day which seems like a lot to me, so thank you for the calorie tips. They will certainly come in handy. I've never been one to count my calories but I now realize how much I need it in order to make sure that I get the right amount of nutrients and calories

Even at 1800 calories I feel like that entails a lot of eating, I can't even imagine eating 2500!
Beets&Beats likes this.
#6 Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

I followed your advice and calculated my calories needs. Apparently, I need to consume about 1800 calories a day which seems like a lot to me, so thank you for the calorie tips. They will certainly come in handy. I've never been one to count my calories but I now realize how much I need it in order to make sure that I get the right amount of nutrients and calories

Even at 1800 calories I feel like that entails a lot of eating, I can't even imagine eating 2500!

If you are having trouble eating enough calories, you can try adding more nuts and/or nut butters to your diet. These foods are very high in calories - a single cup of peanuts contains over 800 calories, and a single tablespoon of peanut butter contains almost 100 calories.

The "Vegan Plate" below contains about 600 calories of food: 1 cup of boiled grains/pasta (170-200 calories), 1 cup of boiled beans/lentils (220-250 calories), 1 cup of fruit (40-70 calories), 1 cup of vegetables (5-40 calories), and a palmful (not handful) of nuts (about 100 calories). If you have trouble eating this much, you can try eating 4 or 5 smaller meals (or 3 meals + snacks).

I don't think that these food proportions are rigid. I don't personally structure my meals in any exact way. Sometimes, if I run out time for breakfast, I just eat a cup of nuts (to make sure I have enough calories to fuel my morning).

The serving amounts on the "Vegan Plate" ("2+ Servings of Fruit" etc.) are the amounts for an entire day. You don't need to eat 5 servings of grains in a single meal!

Meaning of "serving":

1 serving of whole grains = 1/2 cup boiled grains (volume after cooking), or 1 slice of bread, or 1 tortilla
1 serving of legumes = 1/2 cup boiled beans (volume after cooking)
1 serving of vegetables = 1/2 cup (fresh or raw), or 1 cup of raw green vegetables
1 serving of fruit = 1 medium fruit, or 1/2 cup chopped fruit (raw or cooked)
1 serving of nuts / seeds = 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, or 1/4 cup nuts
Link: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Caregi...38_Article.jsp

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 10-20-2016 at 07:19 PM.
#7 Old 10-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

So how do you know that not consuming enough calories causes those cravings?
Mainstream nutrition organizations, such as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians), have stated that eating regularly and sufficiently will help to prevent cravings: http://www.eatright.org/resource/foo...o-boost-energy

_________

Last edited by David3; 10-20-2016 at 07:11 PM.
#8 Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I've bought Almond milk a few times in the past and I really like the taste! However, I do not consume enough of it before I have to throw it away. I only drink milk about twice a month, so it seems like a waste to buy something that only I will consume and then not even finish. Therefore, I've been reading up about making my own milk, and right now oat milk seems like a great alternative so thank you for the suggestion. Now I just have to worry about finding what spices or sweeteners to add to make it taste good to me.
That's one possibility, but they also sell plant-based milks in single serve packs, like juice boxes are sold in. It's worth looking out for.
Naturebound likes this.
#9 Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 AM
99% Vegan

Yes, it is possible to develope intolerances later in life. Dairy can cause bloating, dry skin, eczema - which is a sign of an intolerance. If you do get bloated on cheese, then I would have to suggest going Vegan. Fiber and nuts is really good for keeping more full. I developed a full blown allergy to meats and poultry as an adult. However, I didn't find out that I was born with a dairy intolerance until I was an adult. The signs were there, but my previous doctors were clueless! (Milk tasted tainted if it was 7 days way from its due date - in my case, as well as the other signs.)

I highly recommend learning to appreciate vegan milks with your meals. Home made milks, often lack B12. So far, the only known plant source of Omega-5 is Pomegranate, and Omega-7 is Macademia nuts. I only found this out this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#10 Old 10-25-2016, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
That's one possibility, but they also sell plant-based milks in single serve packs, like juice boxes are sold in. It's worth looking out for.
I' ve done this from time to time also. I have bought single serve almond milk, rice milk, pea milk, and soy milk to drink, especially when on the go. I did this with pea milk because I had never tried it before and didn't know if I would like it.

I have made my own flaxseed milk and almond milk and they are very good! I do have a high speed blender which makes it easier, and a nutmilk mesh bag (which I also use to make/ferment my own nut cheese). Oat milk and rice milk could be made more easily without a high speed blender.

I add a pure calcium powder (made by NOW foods) as well as Nordic Naturals vitamin D drops to my batch because it is an easy way to get my calcium/D needs met. I also add fresh stevia leaves (I grow my own) to my batch when I make the final blend. But I have also added soaked dates for a little richer sweetened taste.

A warning about making your own milk. Because it doesn't have preservatives and emulsifiers etc in it, homemade milk tends to settle and separate a bit. So reblending or shaking very well is highly recommended each time you drink it. It also doesn't keep as long. I use mine within four or five days tops if I make my own. I have rarely cooked/baked with my homemade milks, but have on occasion. They are not as thick and creamy as store bought plant milk so the way they perform in cooking/baking will vary widely.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
I highly recommend learning to appreciate vegan milks with your meals. Home made milks, often lack B12. So far, the only known plant source of Omega-5 is Pomegranate, and Omega-7 is Macademia nuts. I only found this out this week.
Wow, I was not even aware that there were Omega-5 and Omega-7. My knowledge in regards to Omega vitamins is very limited. I thought I only had to worry about finding a vegetarian source for Omega-3 I suppose I'll start looking for Omega vitamins immediately.
#12 Old 11-02-2016, 07:59 PM

I will definitely be on the lookout for single servings of Almond milk now. Especially since it seems to have B12 along with other nutrients, that I know for sure I would not be able to get if I were to make my own milk. Thank you everyone for your replies.
#13 Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
If you are having trouble eating enough calories, you can try adding more nuts and/or nut butters to your diet. These foods are very high in calories - a single cup of peanuts contains over 800 calories, and a single tablespoon of peanut butter contains almost 100 calories.

The "Vegan Plate" below contains about 600 calories of food: 1 cup of boiled grains/pasta (170-200 calories), 1 cup of boiled beans/lentils (220-250 calories), 1 cup of fruit (40-70 calories), 1 cup of vegetables (5-40 calories), and a palmful (not handful) of nuts (about 100 calories). If you have trouble eating this much, you can try eating 4 or 5 smaller meals (or 3 meals + snacks).

I don't think that these food proportions are rigid. I don't personally structure my meals in any exact way. Sometimes, if I run out time for breakfast, I just eat a cup of nuts (to make sure I have enough calories to fuel my morning).

The serving amounts on the "Vegan Plate" ("2+ Servings of Fruit" etc.) are the amounts for an entire day. You don't need to eat 5 servings of grains in a single meal!

Meaning of "serving":

1 serving of whole grains = 1/2 cup boiled grains (volume after cooking), or 1 slice of bread, or 1 tortilla
1 serving of legumes = 1/2 cup boiled beans (volume after cooking)
1 serving of vegetables = 1/2 cup (fresh or raw), or 1 cup of raw green vegetables
1 serving of fruit = 1 medium fruit, or 1/2 cup chopped fruit (raw or cooked)
1 serving of nuts / seeds = 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, or 1/4 cup nuts
Oooo, this is awesome thank you! Now that I've been eating a lot more I feel a lot better. I am no longer plagued by the dizziness that occurred every few days!

I was just so used to certain portions before I became a vegetarian, that it's been confusing having to relearn portions.
#14 Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 AM

You can use coconut milk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page