• 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
  • 3 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 10-08-2016, 04:12 PM

What veg*n food was better than you expected

What veg*n food was better than you expected? I tried Gardein Fishless Filets and they are great. Even when I ate meat, I didn't like fish that much. But I am really enjoying these.
Werewolf Girl, silva and Thalassa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

I never expected coconut milk whipped cream to be so fluffy and delicious, it's incredible.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 10-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the only one I can think of: Goat cheese. Didn't think I'd like it at all. I was really hungry at the time, though, so that probably helped.
Dustie likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh.

It doesn't look all that appealing, but really can be an awesome addition to dishes! I love tempeh bacon; tempeh sauerkraut and cabbage sandwiches; cubed tempeh pineapple and leafy greens over rice; tempeh tomato lettuce vegan mayo sandwiches; tempeh crumbled sausage and gravy, and the list goes on!
CaGoldi and Dustie like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I was amazed at how much better the vegan alternatives were to the regular thing...
Naturebound, Thalassa and Dustie like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Vegan mac n cheese! <3
Dustie likes this.
#7 Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 PM

I've loved all the Gardein products.

CHAO, Miyoko's, and Treeline, Follow Your Heart and Kite Hill cheese.

I've been really happy with Tofutti's cream cheese.

Coconut Bliss ice cream is delicious. I also like So Delicious' cashew milk ice creams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dustie likes this.
#8 Old 10-12-2016, 06:51 AM

There are so many good ideas here. Even though I've been a vegetarian for 26 years, it has only been in the last year that milk products have made me very sick. I'm not really upset about that but I'm looking for substitutes right now for things like sour cream and cottage cheese. I live in a rural area 80 miles from the nearest food store that sells veg*n things (although the local grocery has put in 2 Morningstar Farms products which I use). Your ideas make it less likely that I will waste money on something. Please keep the food suggestions coming.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
There are so many good ideas here. Even though I've been a vegetarian for 26 years, it has only been in the last year that milk products have made me very sick. I'm not really upset about that but I'm looking for substitutes right now for things like sour cream and cottage cheese. I live in a rural area 80 miles from the nearest food store that sells veg*n things (although the local grocery has put in 2 Morningstar Farms products which I use). Your ideas make it less likely that I will waste money on something. Please keep the food suggestions coming.
What types of stores do you have? Any Aldi? Or maybe Asian, or Latin?
Can you get silken tofu- the kind in the box? You can do so much with silken tofu. Add lemon juice, olive oil, spices, you have a ricotta sub. Sweetener, vanilla-- you have cream cheese. Lemon juice -sour cream. Add chocolate, and/or banana or strawberry, or extracts and non dairy milk (and sweetener if plain) makes a great protein milkshake

A good idea would be to spend time perusing the online stores and making lists as you get ideas of shelf stable items you can order- and avoid shipping costs. Even though I have lots of different stores I still order yearly for certain things I find priced better online and store them
Vitacost.com and iherb.com are the ones I usually look at, and they have discounts when you first sign up for email alerts of sales. Often have 20% off grocery items and $49 free shipping

Better than Boullion no chicken or no beef broth base
Braggs amino acids
Bobs Red Mill vital wheat gluten
Bobs Red Mill Nutritional yeast
those are my usual order I always have on hand (that I can think of right now)
Dustie likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 10-12-2016, 05:06 PM

In the city, they have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, King Soopers, and Safeway. I get quite a few veg*n items at King Soopers such as Quorn, Gardein and Morning Star Farms. I love the Quorn chik patties and chik tenders. The Quorn tenders really suprised me when I first bought them because they looked like frozen cardboard cubes. I sauteed them and put them on a salad. You could fake out a meat eater with them.
#11 Old 10-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
There are two main ways to make your own vegan version of sour cream, cream cheese, or cottage cheese. One is with tofu as a base, and one is with raw cashews or blanched almonds as a base. You can go as far as you want with making various nut based cheeses, even ordering online vegan yogurt cultures and fermenting it. There are some simpler recipes for a good vegan cream cheese or sour cream using nuts or tofu. And even a number of vegan homemade "mayonnaise" recipes. A good food processor or blender does help with the nut based cheeses, but soaking the nuts for 8 to 24 hours makes blending way easier. Here are a few recipes I really like and have tried:

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012...-cream-cheese/

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013...an-mayonnaise/

http://www.veggiesdontbite.com/vegan-sour-cream/

And this is a vegan cottage cheese recipe that I haven't yet tried:

http://www.veganvegetariancookingsch...age-cheese.htm

I have also made oatgurt, which is simply a process of soaking and then fermenting whole oat groats over several days (usually found at health food stores like Trader Joes or Whole Foods Coops). This makes a very creamy but still textured concoction that has a sourish, yeasty, yogurt like taste very similar to plain dairy yogurt with no added sugar. The one and only animal based product I used to miss was Greek yogurt, the plain thick sourish kind (and like you dairy made me very ill and I avoided most of it for years before going vegan, but yogurt was my holdout). Vegan yogurts tend to be too sweet for me, though Daiya has a Greek style yogurt that comes close, if only they would make a plain one without adding flavors! At any rate, I did a lot with tofu, blending it with bananas and cocoa powder to make a breakfast pudding that is high calcium and high protein (16 grams of protein and roughly 20% DV of calcium for blending two servings of tofu with a banana and cocoa powder) and very thick and creamy like yogurt. But still something was missing. Hence my experimenting with oatgurt. Someone at a vegan meetup told me about it. It satisfies that craving for something sourish and creamy, though it is not really dairy like and is closer to a hot cereal in texture. Here is the recipe I follow to make it:

http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/oatgurt/

I have also experimented with making homemade vegan yogurt, usually soy or coconut based, and have had limited success but have not had consistently good results yet. I do not have a yogurt maker, which I am sure would make it so much easier. Getting the temperature right is key.

I am one who lives in a city where not a lot was available for a long time and there still isn't a whole lot up here compared to others on Veggieboards from bigger cities. The nearest Trader Joes is a three hour drive, and our Whole Foods Coop up here caters to the happy locavore meat crowd, though more and more vegan friendly products are appearing there. So anyway, when I first went vegan, and still now, my motto was if you can't find it somewhere, make it yourself! Google is your best friend for learning to make vegan homemade versions of anything...well almost, I haven't quite figured out angel food cake yet but I am very close lol. Chickpea juice (aquafaba) is a miracle as an egg white substitute. I have made many many versions of homemade vegan mayo, using tofu, or using soymilk, or using cashews or blanched almonds. I have made homemade vegan cashew cream cheese that is so awesome! and my die hard meat eating coworkers as it turns out will actually devour a waldorf salad if you add loads of vegan cashew mayo to it. They otherwise will not touch a fruit or vegetable.

As silva mentioned, the hard to find stuff I can't get around here, I make a list and keep it handy (ie stuff like oat groats, or raw cashews which are surprisingly hard to find), and those times when I can get down to the Twin Cities or somewhere else that is more vegan friendly, I bring that list and find what I am looking for and stock up! Very surprisingly though, local places like Target are starting to stock up on vegan friendly products like Just Mayo (almost identical in taste and texture/thickness to Hellmans), Just Ranch, Pea Milk, canned coconut milk, Daiya products, etc.

Another strategy is to let go of trying to find "replacements" of animal products, and learn a whole new way of eating and preparing food. My first two years vegan I didn't touch the commercial vegan cheeses at all, or the vegan "meats" aside from tofu and tempeh. In fact I had an intolerance to tofu at first so I avoided it for a while, then discovered sprouted tofu which was easier on me, then was finally able to tolerate any tofu. My staples were and still are beans, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I learned to make sauces with stuff like steamed and blended cauliflower with plant milk and spices and even ground nuts thrown in the mix for alfredo sauce. I also love sweet potato, and often blend it with pineapple juice. Because my partner doesn't like it, I started eating it for lunches at work or for a morning snack or even breakfast. Even better is a mix of peanut butter, a banana, and sweet potato all mashed together. I got over the huge focus on protein as the center of every meal, and started really enjoying far more of my favorite vegetables and grains as equal to the beans or other protein sources on my plate. Not side dishes. Instead of restrictive, I found my new plant based life very freeing and it allowed me to experiment and eat in a way that is far more satisfying to me than shoveling in food I was taught was "good for me" (ie lean meat, dairy etc). Dairy made me so sick for so long, but I was made to think I was missing out without it so I would try lactose free milk (which I hated and it didn't make my nausea, bloat, and cramps/diarrhea any better). I have made many a homemade flaxseed milk, almond milk, and coconut milk. I haven't tried homemade rice milk but that's in my near future, as is sesame seed milk.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling. I do feel for you as I came back from visiting the inlaws in a land surrounded by farming country, awful chicken and turkey warehouses, meat dinners announced on every church and community center sign out there. Sighs. Even soy milk was impossible to find in a twenty mile radius of where I stay there, so I bring all my own food for a long weekend when I go there...usually two coolers and a large bag of dry food lol. At least they have produce and sunflower seeds and oats.
Thalassa and Dustie like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Bandit

Seitan. I was afraid to try it at first, though I enthusiastically loved chkn twister wraps from Native Foods, and even Thanksgiving Tofurky...but seitan seemed ..odd...like what is vital wheat gluten. Seitan is really delicious with gravies and mushrooms or root vegetables, really earthy and prepared well it satisfies a particular craving.
Dustie likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#13 Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 AM

Naturebound- I'm the same way with milk products. It isn't the lactose, it is the milk protein that makes me so sick that I can't function away from a bathroom for hours and hours. I don't know what is going on with milk today because my mother is having the same problems and we both used to eat milk products. Like I said, I don't mind not eating it because it pushed me into getting closer to a vegan diet. The only eggs I eat are from chickens at my neighbors place. They get so many eggs from their chickens that run all over the place that she gives them to me free. Each dozen is multicolored and different sizes.

Thalassa - I'm going to go for some seitan next time I go to the city. Thanks.
#14 Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Impeach the gangster

Follow Your Heart VeganEgg. After 20-years, I've had an omelet again.
leedsveg, CaGoldi and Dustie like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#15 Old 10-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Linda McCartney "Pulled Chicken". Nice taste and texture. Never had genuine pulled chicken to know how it compares.
CaGoldi and Dustie like this.
#16 Old 10-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Follow Your Heart VeganEgg. After 20-years, I've had an omelet again.
How does it compare to a real egg omelet Capstan?
#17 Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
How does it compare to a real egg omelet Capstan?
Pretty good, leedsveg. It has the right texture, color, etc. There's another product I tried called The Vegg that didn't work well- simply wouldn't thicken up- but this one I believe you could secretly serve to an unwitting non-vegan, and they wouldn't know the difference.
Dustie likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#18 Old 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Morningstar BBQ riblets. I would have guessed these would be gross, but thanks to people here I tried them. They're so good! They have a very unique texture, and a good hickory type barbeque sauce (I think hickory). Microwave in the pouch for 3 minutes, let cool a bit, but on a sub roll- great with creamy cole slaw. These also make a tasty pizza topping with onions and pineapple.
Dustie likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page