vegetarianism and protein - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, sorry if this is an annoying topic, but I'd really likesome help/advice.

I recently went vegetarian. I've done some looking up on protein... I know that it's not as important as people want you to think, I know the average meat eating American eats twice the amount they need, I know too much protein can result in kidney failure and bone calcium lost.

Buuut, when looking up how much protien I would need on a daily basis on the internet, all I get is weight lifting sites talking about needing .5-1 gram per lb. Obviously, someone who weight lifts is much different than someone like me. I know the foods that are high in protien, and have been eating them on a daily basis (beans, brocolli, peanut butter etc).

Any help, links, advice, wouldbe much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm pretty sure you'll be fine if you eat enough legumes, nuts and seeds. Do you consume dairy or eggs?

i think that pcrm.org (physician's committee for responsible medicine--a vegan oriented site) and veganoutreach.org (vegan outreach--another vegan site), should have good nutritional information about recommended amounts of foods etc.

welcome to the wonderful world of veggie dining. i'm sure you'll love it. learn to cook, try new things, have fun!
#3 Old 09-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You wanted to know how much protein you need per day? On some nutritional facts labels they tell you I think.. like 50 grams for a 2000 calorie diet and 65 for 2500 calories...not sure if that's what you were asking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

ok thanks a lot guys, much appreciated and very helpful.
#5 Old 09-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Protein isn't really a problem, don't worry. According to my weight I need 44 grams of protein and today I ate 54 grams! I do so by eating plenty of beans, peanuts (snack mix etc.), tofu and soy products, Luna bars, veggie "meats," brown rice (it has a little), oatmeal, oatbran etc. It's easy, especially if you're an athlete and need plenty of carbs. Wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page