People ask WHY I'm vegetarian, but i have no answer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
  • 1 Post By PsychoOGKaren
  • 4 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By PsychoOGKaren
  • 3 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By beegan
  • 2 Post By Jordan Matthew Solomon
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 3 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By cherries
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By RawrCat
  • 1 Post By PsychoOGKaren
  • 2 Post By PsychoOGKaren
  • 1 Post By PsychoOGKaren
  • 4 Post By Lipps
  • 1 Post By _elle_
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By EarthGodess
  • 1 Post By ambient.quiet
  • 2 Post By Vegan Mike
  • 2 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By karenlovessnow
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Unhappy People ask WHY I'm vegetarian, but i have no answer

I turned vegetarian a month ago and I'm still doing pretty good with the transition. it's surprisingly easier than i thought it would, i have more cravings for chips than for meat XDDD

but then, sometimes people offer me meat as courtesy (because they don't know that i'm veg) and i have to explain to them that I don't eat meat or that i'm vegetarian.

the MOST COMMON comment was "why?" and the funny thing is... i have no clear answer. i just say:
-because it makes me feel better
- because it's environmentally friendly
- because i don't like meat anyways (which is true)

and people say, "why?" or " that's not a reason..." ... !!! what??

and then I get so many controversial (or passive aggressive) hate because i am vegetarian from CHOICE and not from religion or restrictive health (e.g. allergies). I feel like if I said, "because religion," it'll make the conversation easier... but i'm not religious...


I guess the main point is... what is a good environmental reason that i should say? or what is a good reason for me to be veg?
cause honestly, i don't tell ppl i'm veg anymore... it causes so much conflict. i just say "i hate meat."
Purp likes this.
PsychoOGKaren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Your answers sound pretty clear to me... Some people just can't imagine life without meat.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge


Last edited by jessandreia; 08-23-2016 at 10:17 PM.
jessandreia is offline  
#3 Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
yeah, i thought so too... but then.. "WHY is it environmentally friendly?" "organic meat is healthy too"
so i want to elaborate but i honestly don't know how.

and the "i don't like meat" reason is not good enough =-= they'll say, then you should TRY better meat! or, "that's just cause it wasn't cooked right" or yadiyadah =-= and that just makes the situation worst

and i think the worst thing is: i honestly don't care for the animals as much... it's mainly those 3 reasons are enough for me.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by PsychoOGKaren; 08-23-2016 at 10:17 PM.
PsychoOGKaren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
You can research "meat greenhouse emissions/pollution/water footprint". You will find articles about how meat contributes to that.
Purp, David3 and PsychoOGKaren like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#5 Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
Sounds like you eat what you want to eat. Maybe you turn the tables and ask those people why they would eat the crap they do
It's ok to ask question out of a genuine interest, your friends sound rude and ignorant.

My reason is that I think its horrid to murder anyone when there is no reason too
People live better on plants, we're not cavemen anymore
Purp and David3 like this.
silva is online now  
#6 Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
You need to be careful when you talk with people. Not only about food. But also other topics, like religion, politics and such stuff.

If you say you are blue, and they are red, they will start to be hostile. So next time when you are asked tries to give the rainbow answer.

Something like: I prefer vegetables or fruit if you have, thanks. I m not that much hungry.

People offer meat because zillion years back people were hunting big animals together and then they would share meat and eat all of the animals in few days, because they didn't know when will be the next time they will hunt something down. Also, they didn't have refrigerator to store meat.

So when they offer you meat it is because they like you, and they show respect, so if you don't want to hurt their feelings you need to choose your answer carefully.

I learned this hard way myself and i was in very awkward situation because i m stubborn and when we started to talk about food in details i didn't pick my words and sometimes i almost had fights.
Purp and PsychoOGKaren like this.
beegan is offline  
#7 Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Newbie
 
Jordan Matthew Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2
You know, I have had this issue since I swapped first to vegan three years ago, and then to just vegetarian a year later(I kind of go back and forth on that, typically I'm at about 90% vegan). It is hard to understand why people have so much of an issue with it. It is just something they cannot seem to grasp, because it is out of the norm for them. I live in Alabama, and vegetarianism/veganism is definitely not common around here. A lot of people act like i'm an alien or something when I say I don't eat meat. I always just say that I don't care for meat, and it never felt right for me personally to eat it. Then if they object I ask them why I should continue to do something that I have never really felt comfortable doing? If they still just can't wrap their head around it, and want to continue to question my motives on it, I pretty much just end the conversation, unless they have an actual legitimate question. You do not have to justify your reasons to someone. It is your body and you have the right to decide what type of diet it right for you. In my experience some people just will NOT ever let it go. I have friends and family members who like to joke about it, or say things like "Oh come on, it's just got some chicken broth in it" or "It just has a little bit of meat in it, it won't kill you just this once, I promise I won't tell on you." I just say no thanks i'm good and move on. I find no need to get defensive or hostile about it.
Purp and cherries like this.
Jordan Matthew Solomon is offline  
#8 Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
When people give you a hard time, give them a hard time right back - "Why shouldn't I be vegetarian? It's better for me, for the environment and for the animals, too." Or "I don't like my colon or my arteries clogged, thank you anyway."
Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#9 Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoOGKaren View Post
I turned vegetarian a month ago and I'm still doing pretty good with the transition. it's surprisingly easier than i thought it would, i have more cravings for chips than for meat XDDD

but then, sometimes people offer me meat as courtesy (because they don't know that i'm veg) and i have to explain to them that I don't eat meat or that i'm vegetarian.

the MOST COMMON comment was "why?" and the funny thing is... i have no clear answer. i just say:
-because it makes me feel better
- because it's environmentally friendly
- because i don't like meat anyways (which is true)

and people say, "why?" or " that's not a reason..." ... !!! what??

and then I get so many controversial (or passive aggressive) hate because i am vegetarian from CHOICE and not from religion or restrictive health (e.g. allergies). I feel like if I said, "because religion," it'll make the conversation easier... but i'm not religious...


I guess the main point is... what is a good environmental reason that i should say? or what is a good reason for me to be veg?
cause honestly, i don't tell ppl i'm veg anymore... it causes so much conflict. i just say "i hate meat."
OK, here's one:

"According to Environmental Working Group data, if a four-person family stops eating meat and cheese for one week, they benefit the environment as much as if they stopped driving their car for 35 weeks."

Here's another from the World Health Organization (WHO)

"The WHO now classifies processed meat in the same category as smoking and asbestos, based on its certainty of a link with cancer, but stressed that did not mean they were equally dangerous.

Unprocessed red meat such as steak and lamb shanks is classified as "probably carcinogenic." "

And tell them to watch Conspiracy, free on Netflix, produced by Leo DiCaprio,and does not have really gross animal torture scenes. Tell them you will discuss your reasons after they watch the movie. If they don't watch it, they aren't interested. If you want to gross someone out, recommend Earthlings instead
Purp and PsychoOGKaren like this.
LedBoots is offline  
#10 Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Plant Powered
 
Symondezyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 439
I second the recommendation for Cowspiracy - in fact, if your reasons are largely environmental, it would be great for you to watch too; lots of really excellent facts that are often covered up or glossed over in media coverage. Just the one single fact of massive deforestation due to cattle farming is a gross enough reason to ditch meat. Then there's the pollution, the ocean contamination, the water usage, etc etc...
Purp, LedBoots and PsychoOGKaren like this.
Symondezyn is offline  
#11 Old 08-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cherries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
When people give you a hard time, give them a hard time right back - "Why shouldn't I be vegetarian? It's better for me, for the environment and for the animals, too." Or "I don't like my colon or my arteries clogged, thank you anyway."
Good one Poppy!
Purp likes this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cherries is offline  
#12 Old 08-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoOGKaren View Post
I turned vegetarian a month ago and I'm still doing pretty good with the transition. it's surprisingly easier than i thought it would, i have more cravings for chips than for meat XDDD

but then, sometimes people offer me meat as courtesy (because they don't know that i'm veg) and i have to explain to them that I don't eat meat or that i'm vegetarian.

the MOST COMMON comment was "why?" and the funny thing is... i have no clear answer. i just say:
-because it makes me feel better
- because it's environmentally friendly
- because i don't like meat anyways (which is true)

and people say, "why?" or " that's not a reason..." ... !!! what??

and then I get so many controversial (or passive aggressive) hate because i am vegetarian from CHOICE and not from religion or restrictive health (e.g. allergies). I feel like if I said, "because religion," it'll make the conversation easier... but i'm not religious...


I guess the main point is... what is a good environmental reason that i should say? or what is a good reason for me to be veg?
cause honestly, i don't tell ppl i'm veg anymore... it causes so much conflict. i just say "i hate meat."

Here's excellent advice on this exact issue. The advice starts at minute 3:14

Purp, Blueshark and PsychoOGKaren like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#13 Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Newbie
 
RawrCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 20
Yeah. I thinks this is a fairly common issue. For me, I just say

"It's a mix of a lifestyle choice and religious beliefs that brought me here. However, I'm not up for debate or to elaborate further. Sorry, I've had too many people try to challenge me over my personal dietary choices that works for me. Thanks for asking!"

There is no use debating people and starting a flame-full-on.. all it will do is make people (including yourself) bitter, for the duo challenge of their morals and beliefs. Telling them to google something, watch a YT video, or some other carry on topic.. isn't any use. It's stooping down to their level.
Purp, David3 and PsychoOGKaren like this.
RawrCat is offline  
#14 Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Matthew Solomon View Post
You know, I have had this issue since I swapped first to vegan three years ago, and then to just vegetarian a year later(I kind of go back and forth on that, typically I'm at about 90% vegan). It is hard to understand why people have so much of an issue with it. It is just something they cannot seem to grasp, because it is out of the norm for them. I live in Alabama, and vegetarianism/veganism is definitely not common around here. A lot of people act like i'm an alien or something when I say I don't eat meat. I always just say that I don't care for meat, and it never felt right for me personally to eat it. Then if they object I ask them why I should continue to do something that I have never really felt comfortable doing? If they still just can't wrap their head around it, and want to continue to question my motives on it, I pretty much just end the conversation, unless they have an actual legitimate question. You do not have to justify your reasons to someone. It is your body and you have the right to decide what type of diet it right for you. In my experience some people just will NOT ever let it go. I have friends and family members who like to joke about it, or say things like "Oh come on, it's just got some chicken broth in it" or "It just has a little bit of meat in it, it won't kill you just this once, I promise I won't tell on you." I just say no thanks i'm good and move on. I find no need to get defensive or hostile about it.
yeah this happens a lot... they always ask "even if there is chicken broth or non-veg sauce in the dish??" and worst, "so that means veg don't eat eggs right?? but they eat fish right??" =-= sighh
Purp likes this.
PsychoOGKaren is offline  
#15 Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
OK, here's one:

"According to Environmental Working Group data, if a four-person family stops eating meat and cheese for one week, they benefit the environment as much as if they stopped driving their car for 35 weeks."

Here's another from the World Health Organization (WHO)

"The WHO now classifies processed meat in the same category as smoking and asbestos, based on its certainty of a link with cancer, but stressed that did not mean they were equally dangerous.

Unprocessed red meat such as steak and lamb shanks is classified as "probably carcinogenic." "

And tell them to watch Conspiracy, free on Netflix, produced by Leo DiCaprio,and does not have really gross animal torture scenes. Tell them you will discuss your reasons after they watch the movie. If they don't watch it, they aren't interested. If you want to gross someone out, recommend Earthlings instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
I second the recommendation for Cowspiracy - in fact, if your reasons are largely environmental, it would be great for you to watch too; lots of really excellent facts that are often covered up or glossed over in media coverage. Just the one single fact of massive deforestation due to cattle farming is a gross enough reason to ditch meat. Then there's the pollution, the ocean contamination, the water usage, etc etc...
lolz thanks for the recommendations guys! recommend more if you have any ideas XP i'm actually pretty ignorant about the reasons behind vegetarianism XPPP
Purp and LedBoots like this.
PsychoOGKaren is offline  
#16 Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
thanks for the replies guys <3 it really helps!
Purp likes this.
PsychoOGKaren is offline  
#17 Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Beginner
 
Lipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 134
Funny. If one were to ask a meat eater why they are a meat eater, what would they say?
-I like meat
-It tastes good
-Because I eat what I want to eat

Imagine one asking a vegetarian why they eat vegetarian and the responses were thus:

-I like vegetables
-It tastes good
-Because I eat what I want to eat


It's really all the explanation or justification anyone needs -including to yourself.
Purp, Blueshark, LedBoots and 1 others like this.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
Lipps is offline  
#18 Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 PM
I don't eat animals.
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 60
I usually just say, "because meat is dead animals."
Purp likes this.
_elle_ is offline  
#19 Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
I always say I am vegan for ethical reasons. Sometimes I throw in health and social also, but usually I leave it at ethical. If I am at work or in another situation where I don't feel comfortable with, or don't think it is the appropriate time or place to share the details of why I am vegan and counter some of the common questions from others, I will mention that.

When I was newly vegan, I would reference links such as the ones below to help me more clearly and effectively answer the bombardment of questions and arguments from others when they learned I was vegan. Sometimes I would even print out copies and hand them to people who were serious about learning more:

http://prime.peta.org/2008/10/common...to-answer-them
http://www.veganfuturenow.com/answer...lions-eat-meat
http://www.shellethics.com/ethics/ul...-185a3152-a3ef
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/20...ts-vegans.html
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#20 Old 08-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 63
Thumbs up Vegan kid

There are many reasons why you shouldn't eat meat, too many to write. Basically, it's good for your body, the people (it effects world hunger) the planet and obviously the animals. I would do your homework and research it. If you don't like graphic stuff like me, bitesize vegan has done a video for kids called 5 reasons why we don't eat meat. She's done another called 11 things wrong with environmentalism which explains the environment. Lastly, she's done a do fish have feeling one for kids. Hope this was helpful
silva and Purp like this.
EarthGodess is offline  
#21 Old 08-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Secret Faster
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2
I like to go against their assumptions and quote A. Whitney Brown.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.


Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Purp likes this.
ambient.quiet is offline  
#22 Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Love
 
Vegan Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55
Smile

You should ask them why they eat dead animals.
Purp and Necter like this.

It's all about love!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vegan Mike is offline  
#23 Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
You need to tell them the Doctor said you were getting too much irony in your diet and had to go vegan. That usually works.
silva and David3 like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#24 Old 10-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
I hate when people ask what do I notice that's different, as if there has to be some miraculous physical change since giving up animal products. Not everyone experiences a transformation. It's more mental for me. I just overall feel good. Plus, the only real physical change I noticed is how much better my "insides" work and it's not like I want to go around broadcasting that, hahahaha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poppy likes this.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#25 Old 10-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 2
I'm more of an introvert so don't like to talk about my diet with meat eaters. My children do not eat meat and my daughter was shocked when I told her when she asked that most people eat meat and what it was. If only everyone thought of eating meat as how a child with fresh eyes views it. I'd love to act shocked when someone mentions their meaty food and act like it's so unusual. I wonder how many meat eaters would continue to eat meat if it wasn't the 'norm'.
MrsMoo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off