good veggie stuff in non veggie restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey there.

About a month ago i was traveling and we stopped to eat at this sort of Fake western restaurant. Any way i was flipping through the menu seeing if there was any decent eatings to be had. I ordered a veggie burger expecting some dry sort of lump. i took a bite and it was delicios! It had some kind of marinated mushrooms. mmm.

Any similar experences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i have i have. i have gone to outback steakhouse about 3 times with friends and the first time i was thinking i would just wind up drinking on an empty tummy. well i ordered a plain baked potato and a side of mushrooms and side of corn. mixed the mushrooms w/ the potato and had my self a yummy meal.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#3 Old 04-28-2003, 11:26 PM

it hits you faster with an emtpy stomach. thats how i drink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Montana's has a great veggie burger. So does Kelsey's. These are chain restaurants in Manitoba, I don't know where else they are. Boston Pizza actually notes in their menu which items are veg, although almost EVERYTHING there has cheese, so not a good choice for vegans.
#5 Old 04-29-2003, 01:38 AM

just say hold the cheese
#6 Old 04-29-2003, 05:04 AM

when travelling, i always look for thai, indian, mexican and especially middle-eastern food (hummus, falafel, babou ganoush...). even italian pastas can be great with tomato sauce and some fried vegetables.

but it is also interesting to go into a restaurant that doesn't have any vegan stuff on the menu and ask if they can improvise a little. many chefs seem to find this an interesting challenge in an otherwise very routine-oriented day. and normally, if they have some garlic and some oil in the kitchen, they come up with something absolutely eatable:-]

if enough veggies ask non-veggie places to provide veggie meals, sooner or later they will put something on the menu...
#7 Old 04-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, actual veg*n restaurants are few and far between around here.

My favorite non-veggie restaurant is Ruby Tuesday. They have a great veggie burger that is vegan and the best salad bar. Yummy!
#8 Old 04-29-2003, 09:44 AM

Ditto on Ruby Tueday's. I love their veggie burger!
#9 Old 04-29-2003, 10:06 AM

I usually just get a salad if there is nothing else. Either that or a baked potato. It's better than having an empty stomach, believe me.
#10 Old 04-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I like TGI Friday's veggie burger with the nice green salad on the side. Panera Bread's veggie sandwhich is quite delicious although it comes with cucumber sauce and cheese so it isn't vegan. However Panera is quite adaptable and I have changed the structure of sandwhiches there many times and they haven't complained yet. And you can't beat Subway's veggie delight sandwhich.
#11 Old 04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Subway's Veggie Max sandwhich is pretty good too, but it's not vegan. My favorite veggie burger is Hard Rock Cafe's. It is vegan, spicy, and very good. But since there's no Hard Rock Cafe around here, I prefer Applebee's veggie burger and fries, though it contains dairy as well.
#12 Old 04-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a hard rock cafe veggie burger a couple of years ago in Malta. i don't advise visiting malta. It's a nasty place, but the veggie burger was good, and so was being next to one of Slash's old guitars. It had a bit of a rough texture, but the taste was brilliant. It's not like any of the other veggie burgers I've had in my day.
#13 Old 04-29-2003, 02:01 PM

Once at applebees I had no idea what to get, since they dont even have any SALADS without meat. but they had this veggie patch pizza thing and it was really good! not vegan though.
#14 Old 04-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
but the veggie burger was good, and so was being next to one of Slash's old guitars. It had a bit of a rough texture, but the taste was brilliant.

Does Slash know you're chomping on his guitars, hrmmmmmm?
#15 Old 04-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually get the veggie patch pizza at Applebees as my meal - it is quite good. What is up with the salads at most restaurants - they all contain meat in some form. Even the "garden" salad has bacon bits. I forgot about Hard Rock's veggie burger (it has been so long since I last ate there) but it is divine.
#16 Old 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Wejust went out to the local Italian restaurant for dinner, and I usually ask them for a spaghetti napolitana. (Which is simply spaghetti in tomato & basil sauce) It's not on the menu but they whip it up for me! And I was getting bore dof garlic bread (Garlic?? Bread?? What's with it??? Garlic bread???) for starters, as the selection of vegetarian starters isn't all that good. So i asked about the mushroom soup, and they do add a bit of meat stock for flavour. So they made a version for me w/o the meat stock!

And this restaurant will be getting reviewed in the Blackpool Gazette this saturday, so i'll have to see how it fares!
#17 Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 PM

garlic bread ownz. sept i havent had it in a longgggggggggg time becuase i dont use the margerine that they sell in town. wo is me
#18 Old 04-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

At the Salty Dog Cafe I ordered the fajitas with veggies instead of meat and it was really good They served it in a pan type thing with the toppings and tortillas on the side so I could make my own fajitas with whatever I wanted on it! They also had a gardenburger but I didn't feel like making sure they didn't grill it on the meat grill and repetitively explaining that I would not eat it grilled on the same grill. But it was a good restaurant!
#19 Old 04-30-2003, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hacienda has a great black bean burrito. I'm pretty sure it's vegan.
#20 Old 03-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickletatertot View Post

Well, actual veg*n restaurants are few and far between around here.

My favorite non-veggie restaurant is Ruby Tuesday. They have a great veggie burger that is vegan and the best salad bar. Yummy!

Reviving this thread from the dead...

Can anybody verify that the bun used at Ruby Tuesdays is vegan? How about the fries?
#21 Old 03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

strangely enough, one of my FAVORITE meals..cheap and good..was at the Cracker Barrel (yeah, pulled that one of the air, didn't I?) A nice "down home" restaurant with all the meat in the world...went there w/hubby, kids and hubby's family..ordered a "BLT" salad w/o the bacon..the waitress looked at me dumbly and brought me the biggest, best vegan salad in the world!! I was shocked!! It even had real GOOD lettuce..not just iceberg (I hate iceberg - I am a lettuce snob)

So, next time any of you HAVE to go there...order what I did..you won't regret it. And..it only cost $2.99!

I second the comment about applebys...all their salads have meat. I ordered a garden salad there one day and it came out with bacon and cheese...argh! Had to send it back. I had custom ordered it too..waiter didn't seem to care...

-S
#22 Old 03-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

TGI Friday's does a vegetable grill and a roasted veggie sandwich. They also have garden burgers. Plus, most of their pasta dishes and salads can be ordered hold-the-meat style.

As for the bun situation regarding Ruby Tuesdays, I'm not sure. However, most chain restaurants fry up the french fries in vegetable oil and not fish oil. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that they fry shrimp and chicken in the same oil.
#23 Old 03-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

i love applebees spicy chicken wrap, no cheese, no chicken, add mushrooms YUMMY! (though for some reason they served it with like an oriental type sauce?)
#24 Old 03-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

There's an area chain called Garfield's, and they serve the very best veggieburger and fries I've had at any restaurant.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#25 Old 03-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post

Reviving this thread from the dead...

Can anybody verify that the bun used at Ruby Tuesdays is vegan? How about the fries?

I believe the bun is vegan. But the fries are cooked in lard.
#26 Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 PM

I went to Panera (one of my favorites before I became vegan) with a friend the other day and had the Portobella Mozzerella without the mozzerella, the veggie garden soup and a fandango salad without the feta. It was very good! I didn't have a lot of hope for the sandwich, but I think I enjoyed it more than I did when it had the cheese on it.

I had done my research before I went, and according to Panera, the only bread that contains eggs is the french bread, which has egg whites. Hopefully this is true!

That being said, I watch my friend chowing down on her French Onion soup with that delicious french baguette...and I felt a bit of a loss. Damn, I loved that stuff!
#27 Old 03-03-2004, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

There's an area chain called Garfield's, and they serve the very best veggieburger and fries I've had at any restaurant.

Last time i checked the menu they took off their boca burger, and it never mentions substituting like it did before. Also checked the website, no mention of it either.
#28 Old 03-03-2004, 02:01 PM

Two of the best vegan meals I have had to date from local chain restaurants

are from Romano's Macaroni Grill and McAlister's Deli. At Macaroni Grill I got the Portobello Mushroom and Red Pepper Cazolnetta without the cheese and the mayo (the dough was completely dairy free - or so I was told) and at McAlister's, I got their taco salad with their fantastic vegetarian chili without the cheese and sour cream. Incredible!!
#29 Old 03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I think my favorite is the veggie burger at Ruby Tuesdays. We found out the fries (whcih it comes with, not sure if you can substitute a baked potato) are cooked in lard though.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#30 Old 03-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Good news. Ruby Tuesday has switched to Canola Oil.

http://www.rubytuesday.com/SE/pages/SE_SCO_1.2.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page