• 1 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 2 Post By PaperPinWheel
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS

#1 Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Vegan since 1991

Internat'l Year of the Pulse (beans, peas, and lentils)

2016 is the United Nations' International Year of the Pulse (beans, peas, and lentils).

Inspiring videos of this event:

More: http://iyp2016.org/resources/videos?jut1=1
Tom and LedBoots like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-19-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Every day is a bean day!
Today-black beans, with a chance of hummus.
#3 Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Beans and rice and rice and beans and beans and rice...

Seriously, that's the bulk of our diet, in addition to seasonal veggies and fruit when we can afford it. Beans and rice are amazing! As are lentils! Long live the pulse!
David3 likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Funny! I just found out about the Year of the Pulse this afternoon while doing some background research on the issue of hunger, and I log on to VeggieBoards and there's a post about it!
David3 likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 07-22-2016, 05:56 PM

Having some edamame right now.
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#6 Old 07-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you want, you can take the "Pulse Pledge"! This is so cute that I forwarded it to my (omnivorous) parents.

https://pulsepledge.com/

LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM

I love all pulses. Except lima beans.
#8 Old 07-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPinWheel View Post
I love all pulses. Except lima beans.
Baby lima beans are good
#9 Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

We need some alternate lyrics to "Year Of The Cat", by Al Stewart, to celebrate.

Last week I didn't feel like fussing in the kitchen, but wanted to make something myself to eat during the week, so I made a very simple low-sodium thick stew(?) of dry green split peas, lots of fresh jalapenos, vegetable oil, and water. Not a favorite meal, but it wasn't bad.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 07-23-2016 at 07:59 AM.
#10 Old 07-23-2016, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
We need some alternate lyrics to "Year Of The Cat", by Al Stewart, to celebrate.

Last week I didn't feel like fussing in the kitchen, but wanted to make something myself to eat during the week, so I made a very simple low-sodium thick stew(?) of dry green split peas, lots of fresh jalapenos, vegetable oil, and water. Not a favorite meal, but it wasn't bad.
Oh my! Take out the oil and peppers, add chopped carrots and onions and curry powder and it's one of my favorite thick soups! Some potatoes even!
Haven't made that in a while.
David3 likes this.
#11 Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been going crazy over green peas in potato salad (made with vegenaise) recently.
#12 Old 07-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh my! Take out the oil and peppers, add chopped carrots and onions and curry powder and it's one of my favorite thick soups! Some potatoes even!
Haven't made that in a while.
I'm making it again this week- I didn;t go overboard on the oil, so I'll be leaving that in, but I think potatoes or carrots might be good. It would add some interesting color, too... green, white, orange... like the Irish flag!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#13 Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm making it again this week- I didn;t go overboard on the oil, so I'll be leaving that in, but I think potatoes or carrots might be good. It would add some interesting color, too... green, white, orange... like the Irish flag!
In the days I liked cumin more than now I followed a recipe from a Hare Khrisna cookbook that toasted cumin seeds in oil before adding the water and split peas. I've only oil for soups and stew in order to "bloom" spices.

I love to use frozen peas, and often add them to leftover grains or pastas for lunch. They also serve to keep it cold if I don't get to refrigerate it through the morning
#14 Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I like lentil stews when they're a bit on the 'chunky' side. It seems like a lot of people like them pureed so they're smoother. But I like chunks. Anyone else on the chunky train?
LedBoots likes this.

#15 Old 07-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
I like lentil stews when they're a bit on the 'chunky' side. It seems like a lot of people like them pureed so they're smoother. But I like chunks. Anyone else on the chunky train?
Do you mean 'al dente'?
I combine both red which 'mush down' with the brown or green or other dal for most things. I definitely like all beans thoroughly cooked!
#16 Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Do you mean 'al dente'?
Mushy but not pureed, a glop but without whole lentils/split peas, just ... chunks. Not smooth.

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 07-28-2016 at 10:07 PM.
#17 Old 07-29-2016, 03:01 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Mushy but not pureed, a glop but without whole lentils/split peas, just ... chunks. Not smooth.
I usually puree half (stick blender, easy peasy) and leave half and then combine.
#18 Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I like lentil or pea soup a bit chunky, too. The varied texture adds a bit of interest, especially if there are chunks of vegetable in there too. But I mostly pay attention to the flavor.

Then again, sometimes a smooth texture really works. I got a recipe for dried lima bean and carrot soup; I sometimes substitute a winter squash like butternut or pumpkin when I make it. Anyway, when you blend it well, it has a nice orange color. It depends on my mood when I'm making it.

I'll be done eating my jalapeno-pea soup probably by Wednesday, and I'll be jonesing for something with white beans- Great Northern, pea, or navy... but the health food store in my area hasn't been carrying them. What??!!... they're not "trendy" like aduki, fava (retch!!!... I finished them but won't be buying THEM again... not the dry kind anyway... maybe they're better fresh and shelled...), or a bunch of other varieties they have?...

Last edited by Tom; 08-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.
#19 Old 08-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
something with white beans- Great Northern, pea, or navy... but the health food store in my area hasn't been carrying them.
No Italian types in your neck o' the woods? Even 'standard' groceries around here carry dry Great Northerns.

#20 Old 08-02-2016, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I like lentil or pea soup a bit chunky, too. The varied texture adds a bit of interest, especially if there are chunks of vegetable in there too. But I mostly pay attention to the flavor.

Then again, sometimes a smooth texture really works. I got a recipe for dried lima bean and carrot soup; I sometimes substitute a winter squash like butternut or pumpkin when I make it. Anyway, when you blend it well, it has a nice orange color. It depends on my mood when I'm making it.

I'll be done eating my jalapeno-pea soup probably by Wednesday, and I'll be jonesing for something with white beans- Great Northern, pea, or navy... but the health food store in my area hasn't been carrying them. What??!!... they're not "trendy" like aduki, fava (retch!!!... I finished them but won't be buying THEM again... not the dry kind anyway... maybe they're better fresh and shelled...), or a bunch of other varieties they have?...
I am so glad you brought up split pea soup! I thought I was the only one who liked it, and haven't made it in ages. I did last weekend--2 pounds of split peas to 5 quarts water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion- no oil. Couple pinches cumin, lots of garlic powder, some dried onion soup mix, good pinch of thyme, that pack of 'hamm' seasoning that I saved from the 15 bean soup mix, tumeric. Mmmmmm, mmmmmm.

Yeah I find all kinds of white beans at regular stores. Aldi has great northern beans dried.
I do like aduzki

I don't like pureed soups at all
#21 Old 08-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I am so glad you brought up split pea soup! I thought I was the only one who liked it,
u

I used to do a sweet and sour split peas that was pretty tasty. If you pureed it you'd have soup I guess, but I'm just not a soup guy.

#22 Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
u

I used to do a sweet and sour split peas that was pretty tasty. If you pureed it you'd have soup I guess, but I'm just not a soup guy.
I'm confused and very interested!
How do you make split peas any way besides soup or dip? they cook down to a paste
Or are there different varieties like red or brown lentils?
#23 Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I love split pea soup! I make it very simple...just simmer split peas, water, vegetable broth, carrots, onion, pinch of lemon juice, black pepper, salt. Once everything is soft, I throw it in the blender and blend to get a thick creamy soup, almost dip like. I make it usually once per month or so. Haven't been in the mood this summer but come Autumn...

My favorite bean burger is mashing white beans, cornmeal, almond milk, fresh chives or green onion, shredded carrot together. Make patties and fry in nonstick skillet (I use only a tiny bit of oil or spray...cause once I am done the patties go on a Rudi whole wheat bun with Just Mayo lol).

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Plant Powered

Oh i love split pea soup too!! I always make it in the fall/winter... soups of all varieties become a very regular occurrence in my kitchen once the weather cools down a lot - sort of like salads in summer ^_^

I also really really love pasta e fagioli when it's cold... no sausage of course LOL
#25 Old 08-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
How do you make split peas any way besides soup or dip? they cook down to a paste
I use yellow split peas and cook until they're chunky rather than completely disintegrated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page