Donating Blood - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 PM

Not sure if this should go here....but I recent became a vegetarian two months ago on thursday (the 16th)...My school is having a blood drive, and I always like to participate in them, but I am worried that since my diet has changed so radically over the past two months, what are some precautions I should take? Should I take an iron supplement? Or just not do anything different? Have any other vegs out there had any problem with donating? I am really kind of curious...any input will help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 PM

I donated blood at my school a couple of months ago. It was fine! They pin pricked everyones finger first, to check their iron count, and a lot of my friends got turned down for low iron, but I was fine.. XD.. That was a great moment!!!

But yeah if you are eating properly you should be fine!!
#3 Old 09-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I've been veggie for ages and have often donated blood. In my experience, they take your iron count before they take your blood, and if there is any problem they will tell you at the time.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2004, 02:06 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

My only problem whilst donating blood has been that I have slow blood. I think one of the first times I gave blood I never filled the bag. I didn't go for a while as I'd been to a high malaria risk country and then moved around a bit. Last time I went I only just filled the bag with seconds to spare. I think you have about 20 minutes to fill the bag before they stop you. Most people do it in about 10. I was so slow I was the last person there- even people who started after me had left! (I did go late in the day)

I am wanting to give blood again soon. I missed one day as I was away and all the other days I would have to go straight to work- so not sure how great an idea that is. They test your iron levels and I have always been fine- but I do take a multivitamin from time to time,

K
#5 Old 09-15-2004, 02:16 AM

Just make sure to eat and drink plenty before you go.

One time when I went to donate blood, all I had had was a bowl of cereal a few hours earlier, and when they took the needle out of my arm after donating the blood my blood pressure dropped right off [or did it go up? I cant remember which of the two it does] and I got really dizzy, and had trouble remaining conscious... But that's not related to being vegan!

As others have said, they will test your iron levels before you donate so it's all good.
#6 Old 09-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, bring yourself a small snack for afterwards. I'm vegan, and I always do, that way I don't have to worry about them not having an acceptable food for me to eat afterwards (you don't have to eat, but in my experience it's a good idea.)

Last time I gave, they told me my iron levels were actually slightly higher than normal, but good high, not unhealthy. Go figure.
#7 Old 09-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always been fine, when I was a vegetarian I would pass out sometimes, but when donated after I went vegan I actually felt better. I wouldn't worry about it, if youve always donated and were fine, you should still be fine.
#8 Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not allowed to donate blood, cuz I'm gay... even tho the blood supply is routinely screened... gotta love an established homophobic beaurocracy....

oh well, I don't like needles anyway...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I'm not allowed to donate blood, cuz I'm gay... even tho the blood supply is routinely screened... gotta love an established homophobic beaurocracy....

Really? Is that just a local law or is it a policy of the Red Cross? Very stupid, pointless, and offensive rule either way.
#10 Old 09-15-2004, 02:01 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Yeah my best friend cant give blood as she slept with a bisexual man! Seems a little old fashioned as a rule- especially when demand is so high!
#11 Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to donate but I'm not a good candidate. I had a physical w/blood work done recently and asked the lab tech if she thought I could do it. She said I should not waste my time and the time of the Red Cross because I'm too high risk. Her words were that my veins are weak, maybe that means hard to find. Plus I hold my breath and then hyperventilate because I'm a big baby. Wish I could help more like the rest of you do.

OP-if you have given blood before without a problem you should be fine as long as your iron levels come out ok and you pass the rest of the screening process.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#12 Old 09-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I donate blood every so often (haven't in the last year because of my piercings tho.) I like to donate blood because they test your iron right there and it's my biannual iron level check.

I wouldn't worry about anything except don't eat lots of fat the night before (your blood will come our *really* cloudy and they'll know you eat junk food. I speak from experience. )
#13 Old 09-15-2004, 03:08 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I wouldn't worry about anything except don't eat lots of fat the night before (your blood will come our *really* cloudy and they'll know you eat junk food. I speak from experience. )

Ugh that sounds gross! I do remember having some samples taken once at the doctors- and I had to store it in my own fridge over night and the take it to the hospital in the morning. Overnight the blood had kinda seperated into two parts. It was weird looking.
#14 Old 09-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

Yeah my best friend cant give blood as she slept with a bisexual man! Seems a little old fashioned as a rule- especially when demand is so high!

What qualifies as bisexual? Many people have had homosexual experiences. So how many before all your future lovers can no longer give blood? So stupid.
#15 Old 09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

sorry I should have been more clear- if a man has slept with another man- he can never give blood. If a woman sleeps with a man who has slept with a man- she can never give blood either. It only has to be the once. I don't think the same applies for women sleeping with women. (less chance of passing on STD's I believe) This is in the UK though. Will check up, but pretty certain that is the way it is. I think it's pretty old fashioned myself and I think some women who have slept with men who have had male partners still give blood.

K

K
#16 Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Kat, you are correct.

The excuse they give is because of HIV, and it having a 'window period' when antibodies can't be detected (for 3 or 6 months?). And apparently only gay men are at risk of HIV.

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/flash_questions.html

http://www.transfusionguidelines.org...=12&pageid=266

It's ridiculous. A het woman who has slept with 50 het men can donate blood, but if a man had sex with another man 15 years ago, he can never give blood apparently. (btw, lesbians can donate blood).

More info:

http://www.nat.org.uk/natuk/policy.cfm?id=4 and

http://www.petertatchell.net/blood%2...ys%20index.htm
#17 Old 09-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Beginner

I tried to donate blood this summer and was refused because I am borderline anemic. The funny thing is, though, I used to be very anemic when I ate meat, so its not like anything has changed much. Actually, my anemia has gotten better since becoming vegan.
#18 Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Wow, I knew they did the iron check, but I was wondering if anyone else had any problems with iron thing, due to being Veg. The last time I got turn away because I had low iron and that was when I ate meat...I even got lots of sleep, water, and food. I even had a leafy green salad that day for lunch too. Oh well, this time I am going to try and see ^^

Is the the "rule" excluding men who have had male partners in the US too? I understand the idea behind the caution, but I thought they screened the blood...if it is policy in the US, I am going to bring it up at the next PRIDE meeting on campus.
#19 Old 09-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

i just had a question

do you have to be over 120 lbs to donate ?
#20 Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

110 lbs
#21 Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The policies about who can and cannot donate blood are set by the FDA, not the red cross, just to be clear.
#22 Old 09-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

oh thank you monkey086
#23 Old 09-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't donate because I used to live in the UK... BSE.
#24 Old 09-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I should donate. I keep forgetting though. I haven't in years, cause for years I wasn't over 110lbs. Before that though, one time I donated and my vein collapsed For days afterward I couldn't move my hand/arm right. The next time I tried, my iron was too low, and that was back when I ate meat. My iron is fine now (I always take a multiple with 100% iron now and it's been ok ever since, have no idea how being veg. affects my levels). I'm just wondering if I try again, if my vein will collapse again...
#25 Old 09-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't. My iron is always too low.
#26 Old 09-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I can't. My iron is always too low.

Do you take anything for it? Being on The Pill and like I said in my above post taking a multivitamin with 100% iron helps.
#27 Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I just recently got a call in the middle of the night regarding a patient who desparately needed blood, and we couldn't find any in the city that was compatible. We were getting ready to hunt for blood in other cities when we finally found something frozen that would work. Please, please, please donate if you are eligible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page