Worst vegetarian/vegan meal you've had - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

#1 Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Plant Powered

Worst vegetarian/vegan meal you've had

I am still a very new veggie, but I have so far found it relatively easy to adopt a vegan diet at home. (Being so new, I am still eating vegetarian in public - avoiding eggs/dairy but not necessarily as ingredients)

Tonight I had the worst vegetarian meal of my (very short) veggie life LOL.

I ordered the "veggie burger" which has not been an issue for me so far, but there has to be a first for everything LOL. This one... oh lordy lol I didn't even know a thing like this existed!! I smelled it before I saw it and that's not a good thing. It was some sort of mushy thing blandly flavoured with curry powder and nothing else I ate half and then as politely as I could, scraped it off and ate the nekkid bun with nothing but lettuce and tomatoes LOL. It was a fundraiser so I definitely did not complain - the cause was important enough for me to grin and bear it but I had to share with someone who understood!! LOL

What's the worst vegetarian or vegan dish you've had? Did you say something? What do you do in this situation? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Well, not exactly a meal I had, but almost had. Went out with a few friends to a local restaurant. Ordered a veggie bowl with brown rice and black beans (clearly indicated that I am vegetarian). After 10 minutes, she brings this bowl, but there are these red pieces in it.

I'm like, "hey lady these red strips look awfully suspicious." (I smile jokingly.)

"Suspicious?" she reiterates.

"I mean, is this vegetarian?" I ask.

"Vegetarian?" she asks in turn.

"Yes! I'm like dying of hunger, lady." (I've got this smirk on my face.)

"What?" she looks confused.

My friends start cracking up. I say, "Can you give me a bowl without this red thing in it?"

"You no want meat?"

Well that was a close one.
#3 Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Beginner

I once asked for a salad sandwich as there was nothing else on the menu, and the
girl brought me 2 slices of bread with lettuce inside! nothing else!
Shallot, Jenn2 and Symondezyn like this.

Vegetarian since October 1983
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I'm happy(?) to say the worst dish I ever had was something I made myself, so I had no one to blame but myself.

It was '90 or '91. I was staying at a girlfriends house. We walked down to the co-op and I picked up some tofu, intending to marinate and dry fry it. At this point in my life I had been a vegetarian for a year or two, and this was still a couple years before I had any real cooking experience. But I had tons of book knowledge. How hard could a simple marinade be?

What I was missing was any practical knowledge about the ingredients I was using. The real downfall was my decision to use liquid smoke in my marinade. Liquid smoke should be used very sparingly - a drop or two. Definitely not measured in teaspoons. This I did not know. Also, the texture of unpressed tofu is unpleasant. This is another thing I did not know. You can improve the texture of tofu by pressing it or freezing and thawing it, but again, I did not know that.

So I marinated some tofu slices, dry fried them in a pan , made a sandwich, and bit into ...

A mushy mass that tasted like motor oil. Between two slices of bread. You know the butane smell when you flick a lighter on? Yeah, it tasted like that.

The bread was good though.
Jenn2 and Symondezyn like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
A mushy mass that tasted like motor oil. Between two slices of bread. You know the butane smell when you flick a lighter on? Yeah, it tasted like that.
Sounds delicious.
#6 Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I'm happy(?) to say the worst dish I ever had was something I made myself, so I had no one to blame but myself.

It was '90 or '91. I was staying at a girlfriends house. We walked down to the co-op and I picked up some tofu, intending to marinate and dry fry it. At this point in my life I had been a vegetarian for a year or two, and this was still a couple years before I had any real cooking experience. But I had tons of book knowledge. How hard could a simple marinade be?

What I was missing was any practical knowledge about the ingredients I was using. The real downfall was my decision to use liquid smoke in my marinade. Liquid smoke should be used very sparingly - a drop or two. Definitely not measured in teaspoons. This I did not know. Also, the texture of unpressed tofu is unpleasant. This is another thing I did not know. You can improve the texture of tofu by pressing it or freezing and thawing it, but again, I did not know that.

So I marinated some tofu slices, dry fried them in a pan , made a sandwich, and bit into ...

I thought I hated tofu for years, until I learned how to prepare it.
Symondezyn likes this.
#7 Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Veggie Recycler

Hmm sometimes this is probably just about your personal tastes of some spices...like I know people who like those "meaty flavor" Boca burgers, but I can't stand them. I like Amy's California veggie burger.

Probably the worst thing I had so far was my own fault. I was trying out a recipe for a vegan pot pie, and I used too much thyme, because the recipe was for fresh thyme, and I used powdered. I couldn't eat anything with thyme in it for about two months after that incident, though I ate it recently in delicious dish in dried form, mixed with other herbs. I will probably use fresh or dried thyme for years, I gave my roommate the powdered.
Symondezyn likes this.
#8 Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

What? I rarely press tofu, HATE it after it's been frozen, and often use a teaspoon of good liquid smoke in a marinade for a block!

When my local NFS had a food tasting Sat. I expected sample of veg'n friendlyt foods. No luck, there was one offering of the worst mung bean curry I've ever had. Beans were still hard, curry was weird (or maybe had cilantro...). Couldn't wait to spit it into a napkin.

I certainly made my share of under cooked grains as a new veg, like quinoa
#9 Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I had a black bean burger that tasted like my shoe.....if I were to eat my shoe.

My daughter makes lentil burgers, lentil sloppy joes, lentil meat loaf, etc. that are way better than the processed stuff.

Making it yourself seems to always be better.
LedBoots, Jenn2 and Symondezyn like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 05-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
What? I rarely press tofu, HATE it after it's been frozen, and often use a teaspoon of good liquid smoke in a marinade for a block!

When my local NFS had a food tasting Sat. I expected sample of veg'n friendlyt foods. No luck, there was one offering of the worst mung bean curry I've ever had. Beans were still hard, curry was weird (or maybe had cilantro...). Couldn't wait to spit it into a napkin.

I certainly made my share of under cooked grains as a new veg, like quinoa
Hahaha me too. Crunchy quinoa is not my favorite! I stuffed peppers with red quinoa and minced veg,nuts, etc, great sauce--but the quinoa was crunchy/chewy and ruined it lol. We live and learn, I guess! I ended up cooking the stuffing in a pan with some liquid and chopping up the peppers and adding them, it was edible then.
Symondezyn likes this.
#11 Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Ethical Vegan

Any pre-made veggie burger is terrible. I don't even attempt anymore - besides a full on veggie sandwich is A+ anyway.
Worst recent experience was trying Daiya frozen pizza. I'm just not a fan of pre-made food. I need to stop giving it "one more chance".
Symondezyn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
cinnamon bun

back when I wasn't vegan yet, I bought some morningstar southwest black bean morning sandwiches.. sounds harmless enough. Holy cow, it was the saltiest, driest piece of trash I ever put in my mouth. it haunts me!!!

#13 Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 PM

The motor oil tofu between two slices of bread sounds interesting

My worst veggie meal I had was when I prepared some risotto with saffron an mushrooms. Normally I just used enough saffron to give the rice a yellowish color, but somehow I misjudged the quantity that day and the whole thing tasted intensely saffrony. And I discovered at that instant that I really don't like that taste that much. So remember, unless you really really like saffron, go easy on the quantity

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

#14 Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
I had a black bean burger that tasted like my shoe.....if I were to eat my shoe.

My daughter makes lentil burgers, lentil sloppy joes, lentil meat loaf, etc. that are way better than the processed stuff.

Making it yourself seems to always be better.
All the responses so far are making me giggle but yours made me laugh I had tofu last week in a Chinese restaurant, and it was so spongy and gross - I was offended that I - the new newbie - made tofu better on my first try!!! LOL
Making it yourself is pretty much always better :P
#15 Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Beans were still hard,
Hard beans are the worst, man. I can tolerate slightly undercooked grains, but just can't stand hard beans, especially in dishes you expect to be mostly smooth, like dal. Chunky dal is an abomination.
Vegan Dave and Symondezyn like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#16 Old 05-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Hard beans are the worst, man. I can tolerate slightly undercooked grains, but just can't stand hard beans, especially in dishes you expect to be mostly smooth, like dal. Chunky dal is an abomination.
agreed!!! hard beans are probably the reason more people don't eat beans - they don't realize how lovely and smooth they are SUPPOSED to be! ^_^
#17 Old 05-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Years ago when I had really awful IBS, I couldn't eat meat or dairy, I ordered a vegan meal on a flight. It was a sliced carrot and tomato sandwich. The bread was spongey, the carrots dry and the tomatoes were insanely acidic. All the more galling as on the flight out it had been a lovely fried mushroom & thyme sandwich.
#18 Old 05-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
Years ago when I had really awful IBS, I couldn't eat meat or dairy, I ordered a vegan meal on a flight. It was a sliced carrot and tomato sandwich. The bread was spongey, the carrots dry and the tomatoes were insanely acidic. All the more galling as on the flight out it had been a lovely fried mushroom & thyme sandwich.
Ye Gods, how does one mess up a SANDWICH?? I would be sad too, especially since the fried mushroom and thyme one sounds REALLY good (and I might be having that for lunch tomorrow now LOL) ^_^
#19 Old 05-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Baby Love

I once tried to make a vegetarian version of a favorite my mom used to make when I was growing up. Her version was "chicken squares" where you bake diced chicken, onions, cream cheese and spices in square pouches made from crescent roll dough. Well, my "chickpea squares" were not even close to edible. I don't think I could stomach one bite.
Symondezyn likes this.
#20 Old 05-28-2016, 01:17 AM
hclf vegan!

Hmmm...I know!

Once my very non veggie friends made dinner for my other vegan friend and I

They served up an unripe avocado drenched with high sodium soy sauce and plain rice...the thought was really nice and I do eat this exact meal minus the soy sauce every now and then but YIKES to the unripe avo haha
Symondezyn likes this.
#21 Old 05-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitprincess View Post
Hmmm...I know!

Once my very non veggie friends made dinner for my other vegan friend and I

They served up an unripe avocado drenched with high sodium soy sauce and plain rice...the thought was really nice and I do eat this exact meal minus the soy sauce every now and then but YIKES to the unripe avo haha
Oh noes! Unripe avocados are impossible to eat! Blech.
#22 Old 05-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Plant Powered

LOL ^^ that is exactly why i avoided avocado for so long - they're so hard to read! LOL
LedBoots likes this.
#23 Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I have found that you have to be very careful when ordering veggie burgers at a restaurant. I always ask if they are made from scratch or bought frozen. I have two restaurants in my area that do make them from scratch and they are very good. Most restaurants buy them pre made. If pre made I always ask the manufacturer. I know a lot of them have dairy in them and make sure to avoid those. I have a restaurant about a block away that makes the most amazing black bean burger. It is so good that I am skeptical of what could be in it. They say there is no dairy but I wonder what else could be in it?
Symondezyn likes this.
#24 Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I have found that you have to be very careful when ordering veggie burgers at a restaurant. I always ask if they are made from scratch or bought frozen. I have two restaurants in my area that do make them from scratch and they are very good. Most restaurants buy them pre made. If pre made I always ask the manufacturer. I know a lot of them have dairy in them and make sure to avoid those. I have a restaurant about a block away that makes the most amazing black bean burger. It is so good that I am skeptical of what could be in it. They say there is no dairy but I wonder what else could be in it?
Fat makes things taste good, so i suspect oil.
Symondezyn likes this.
#25 Old 05-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
What? I rarely press tofu, HATE it after it's been frozen,
Me too.

I've eaten a number of bad veg*n meals, but then, I had some bad non-veg*n meals when I was an omni.

The one that sticks in my memory is being served cold, unseasoned tofu (w/o any accompaniments) at a friend's house. This was not all that long after going vegetarian, and before I learned to love tofu with a passion. (Now, I consider even cold, unseasoned tofu to be O.K., as long as it's fresh (which that tofu wasn't.)

I still give the host and hostess props for trying.
Symondezyn likes this.
#26 Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Me too.

I've eaten a number of bad veg*n meals, but then, I had some bad non-veg*n meals when I was an omni.

The one that sticks in my memory is being served cold, unseasoned tofu (w/o any accompaniments) at a friend's house. This was not all that long after going vegetarian, and before I learned to love tofu with a passion. (Now, I consider even cold, unseasoned tofu to be O.K., as long as it's fresh (which that tofu wasn't.)

I still give the host and hostess props for trying.
What a kind gesture at least! Tofu is one of those enigmatic foods that can be either really awful, or really magical, all depending on how it's prepared ^_^ (I have not yet learned to love cold unseasoned tofu, but I can see how one might, particularly if it is fresh ^_^)
#27 Old 05-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Totally off topic, but talking about tofu I'll add that I love-
Azumaya tofu (cant link picture)
It seems fresher tasting than most packaged tofus. I usually buy House Brand because its cheap at Asian stores, and will continue to buy it, but Azumaya is available at Target for $1.99

Fresh made is divine and I believe I'm ready to make some again!
LedBoots and Symondezyn like this.
#28 Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Hard beans blow!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#29 Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I agree with the two Daves ^^ :ROFL:
#30 Old 05-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't had that many bad vegan meals (I eat out maybe a half dozen times per year and am very picky about where I eat out), though I have had some boring or bland ones, especially restaurant tofu loaded with oil.

However, when I first started making seitan from vital wheat gluten, I used the simmer on stovetop method, and my seitan would always puff way out and be waterlogged and mushy. I really disliked it that way. Later I discovered baking my seitan cutluts (I think I got my first idea for baking it from the blog Vegan Dad) and I love that so much! It comes out more firm, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and more flavorful.
Symondezyn likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page