Worst vegetarian/vegan meal you've had - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

#31 Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I once went to a Christmas party that had tacos. Nothing was vegetarian except maybe the tortillas (didn't want to risk it). The beans had lard, the rice had chicken stock, and there was no salad or anything. I always prepare for these moments and keep a snack in my purse when going to a place like that. I've learned my lesson in the past. One time a family friend of my ex (who I love dearly) had us over for dinner. They said they were making a special rice dish and it was vegetarian. Turns out, they were using chicken stock. They didn't realize until they were cooking it. I had bread and butter for dinner. Honestly, I'd rather go hungry for one meal than eat meat (obviously), so I didn't get too upset. Mistakes happen. I've also had plain salad before. I avoid social events, so it's safer now

LedBoots and Symondezyn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I haven't had that many bad vegan meals (I eat out maybe a half dozen times per year and am very picky about where I eat out), though I have had some boring or bland ones, especially restaurant tofu loaded with oil.

However, when I first started making seitan from vital wheat gluten, I used the simmer on stovetop method, and my seitan would always puff way out and be waterlogged and mushy. I really disliked it that way. Later I discovered baking my seitan cutluts (I think I got my first idea for baking it from the blog Vegan Dad) and I love that so much! It comes out more firm, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and more flavorful.
Thanks for the tip! I haven't made seitan yet, but I really want to try! ^_^
#33 Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
I once went to a Christmas party that had tacos. Nothing was vegetarian except maybe the tortillas (didn't want to risk it). The beans had lard, the rice had chicken stock, and there was no salad or anything. I always prepare for these moments and keep a snack in my purse when going to a place like that. I've learned my lesson in the past. One time a family friend of my ex (who I love dearly) had us over for dinner. They said they were making a special rice dish and it was vegetarian. Turns out, they were using chicken stock. They didn't realize until they were cooking it. I had bread and butter for dinner. Honestly, I'd rather go hungry for one meal than eat meat (obviously), so I didn't get too upset. Mistakes happen. I've also had plain salad before. I avoid social events, so it's safer now
One day it would be nice to live in a world where animal products aren't so prevalent! I have never been more keenly aware of how few foods are free of them until I became vegan. Totally with you that I'd rather have plain dry bread or a salad with some vinegar on it than eat meat (one meal is no biggie - after a disappointing one, I just go home and snarf a bunch of my own food LOL)... I carry nuts and dried fruit in my purse, too, and have definitely had to use them on several occasions! I wonder how many veg*ns have sat in a bathroom stall eating trail mix? LOLOL!! ^_^
danakscully64 and LedBoots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
One day it would be nice to live in a world where animal products aren't so prevalent! I have never been more keenly aware of how few foods are free of them until I became vegan. Totally with you that I'd rather have plain dry bread or a salad with some vinegar on it than eat meat (one meal is no biggie - after a disappointing one, I just go home and snarf a bunch of my own food LOL)... I carry nuts and dried fruit in my purse, too, and have definitely had to use them on several occasions! I wonder how many veg*ns have sat in a bathroom stall eating trail mix? LOLOL!! ^_^
At the last wedding I went to, I gave my purse banana to my (adult) niece and nephew who have celiac. They also shared my trail mix.
danakscully64 and Symondezyn like this.
#35 Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM

Recently, my dad was trying so hard to accommodate me. He literally cut up tofu into strips, and without pressing it, or seasoning it, or anything threw it on a grill. Then he served it to me while making everyone else's ribs. I also had a baked potato, with no vegan ingredients to throw on it, so ate it with salt. I didn't complain even though the tofu was disgusting. I know he was going out of his comfort zone! :P
danakscully64 and Symondezyn like this.
#36 Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzscha View Post
Recently, my dad was trying so hard to accommodate me. He literally cut up tofu into strips, and without pressing it, or seasoning it, or anything threw it on a grill. Then he served it to me while making everyone else's ribs. I also had a baked potato, with no vegan ingredients to throw on it, so ate it with salt. I didn't complain even though the tofu was disgusting. I know he was going out of his comfort zone! :P
Not too appetizing for sure, but how sweet of him to try!! ^_^
David3 likes this.
#37 Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
At the last wedding I went to, I gave my purse banana to my (adult) niece and nephew who have celiac. They also shared my trail mix.
"Purse Banana" should be an entry in the Vegan Wiki - if there is one
LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#38 Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
However, when I first started making seitan from vital wheat gluten, I used the simmer on stovetop method, and my seitan would always puff way out and be waterlogged and mushy. I really disliked it that way. Later I discovered baking my seitan cutluts (I think I got my first idea for baking it from the blog Vegan Dad) and I love that so much! It comes out more firm, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and more flavorful.
I've had a similar experience with seitan. Simmered doesn't turn out well. Steaming turns out dry (which isn't really what I expected), baking is best. I've also baked it in a bread machine, which is cool cuz it comes out looking like a holiday ham.
Naturebound and Symondezyn like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#39 Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Now I've done seitan many times,many ways, and I have found simmering to be the best for breaded cutlets. I add LOTS of seasoning to the seitan dough, place it in cold water then gently simmer. When done, I slice into cutlets, or nuggets, dredge in seasoned flour, then lightly fry

I've also made slices and dredged directly in flour and simmered in a frying pan with broth just covering them, adding water as neccessary, and letting it all absorb then crisp. I wish I could explain this better, I've never seen a recipe for it, but it comes out great.
Symondezyn likes this.
#40 Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Now I've done seitan many times,many ways, and I have found simmering to be the best for breaded cutlets. I add LOTS of seasoning to the seitan dough, place it in cold water then gently simmer. When done, I slice into cutlets, or nuggets, dredge in seasoned flour, then lightly fry

I've also made slices and dredged directly in flour and simmered in a frying pan with broth just covering them, adding water as neccessary, and letting it all absorb then crisp. I wish I could explain this better, I've never seen a recipe for it, but it comes out great.
I think I'd like to come over to your place for dinner
#41 Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
I've had a similar experience with seitan. Simmered doesn't turn out well. Steaming turns out dry (which isn't really what I expected), baking is best. I've also baked it in a bread machine, which is cool cuz it comes out looking like a holiday ham.
I've only ever steamed it. But I love the idea of baking in a bread maker. I wonder if a slow cooker would yield similar results (roast ham like)?
#42 Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I wonder if a slow cooker would yield similar results
The way slow cookers distribute heat would probably work against you. But people have pulled off cakes with tinfoil to moderate the really problem spots, so ... maybe?

#43 Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Boston Pizzas veggie burger is the worst I have had, its like this super thick Styrofoamy texture and the flavor is bland af. Thankfully they have lots of tasty pizza options.
Symondezyn likes this.
#44 Old 06-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
Boston Pizzas veggie burger is the worst I have had, its like this super thick Styrofoamy texture and the flavor is bland af. Thankfully they have lots of tasty pizza options.
LOL thanks for the heads-up... it's particularly disappointing when you get excited to see "veggie burger" as an option on a menu and then it turns out to be horrid :P LOL
jocelyn3113 likes this.
#45 Old 06-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Probably a tie between the time I tried to make a lentil loaf and the time my roomate and I tried to make vegan AND gluten-free biscuits and gravy.

I powered through the biscuits, they didn't taste terrible but it was honestly like eating rocks. And the lentil loaf, well... The trash can was well-fed at least. Luckily every time I've ordered a veggie dish while out and about, it has been delicious (when they get my order correct, anyway).
Symondezyn likes this.
#46 Old 06-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
my roomate and I tried to make vegan AND gluten-free biscuits and gravy.
GF truly is a dark art.
LedBoots, Phil1 and phoenixrising like this.

#47 Old 06-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
That reminded me: Cheesecake Factory's veggie burger. My husband ordered it once and it was really mushy and fell apart. Texture was awful, flavor wasn't great either.

Can't go wrong with pizza

jocelyn3113 and Symondezyn like this.
#48 Old 06-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
That reminded me: Cheesecake Factory's veggie burger. My husband ordered it once and it was really mushy and fell apart. Texture was awful, flavor wasn't great either.

Can't go wrong with pizza
Also good to know!... we don't have Cheesecake Factory here but I'll be in Seattle end of August and now I know to avoid them LOL. Luckily there's a Veggie Grill nearby where we're staying so I'm guessing a large portion of my meals will be coming from there LOL
#49 Old 07-01-2016, 07:52 AM

I once tried a boiled veggie dog mainly out of curiosity - I didn't even want to swallow it was that bad
Symondezyn and phoenixrising like this.
#50 Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Mushy steamed vegetables w no salt no seasoning no oil no nothing </3
Symondezyn likes this.
#51 Old 07-08-2016, 03:49 PM

Amy's meals for two thai green curry.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Symondezyn likes this.
#52 Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persnickety View Post
Amy's meals for two thai green curry.

I almost bought this one today, but saw it had tofu. What was wrong with it?

#53 Old 07-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

A recipe I saw online. I remember you were supposed to put tofu in a food processor along with some seasonings, and then put in the oven with onions. I guess some sort of crustless quiche?
1. It just didn't seem to cook on the inside no matter for how long I left it in.
2. The taste was horrible. I think I hate turmeric (which the recipe required).
Symondezyn likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#54 Old 07-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
A recipe I saw online. I remember you were supposed to put tofu in a food processor along with some seasonings, and then put in the oven with onions. I guess some sort of crustless quiche?
1. It just didn't seem to cook on the inside no matter for how long I left it in.
I love turmeric but you can definitely overdo it, which can make it very overpowering and not as nice... it's also much much better when combined with a little salt and other seasonings ^_^ Prior to becoming vegan, I'd always put it in my chicken soups - now I put it in vegan cheese sauces and veggie broths! ^_^
phoenixrising likes this.
#55 Old 07-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
I love turmeric but you can definitely overdo it, which can make it very overpowering and not as nice... it's also much much better when combined with a little salt and other seasonings ^_^ Prior to becoming vegan, I'd always put it in my chicken soups - now I put it in vegan cheese sauces and veggie broths! ^_^
I didn't put much at all; just what the recipe required, or even less, and it was mixed with other seasonings. I think I just really hate it. Needless to say I have never tried any tofu scramble lol.
Symondezyn likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#56 Old 07-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I almost bought this one today, but saw it had tofu. What was wrong with it?
It was like a melted lime flavored candy smoothie.

danakscully64 likes this.
#57 Old 07-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
I didn't put much at all; just what the recipe required, or even less, and it was mixed with other seasonings. I think I just really hate it. Needless to say I have never tried any tofu scramble lol.
LOL you can probably do a tofu scramble without it and just pretend it's an egg white scramble! ^_^
#58 Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Worst vegetarian/vegan meal you've had

Quote:

I'm so happy to hear this...misery loves company and all. I've been trying to add turmeric to some of my dishes. I definitely am not a fan, especially in my tofu scramble. I don't think I used a lot at all. Maybe 1/4 tsp., if that, in the entire batch. Blech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#59 Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
I'm so happy to hear this...misery loves company and all. I've been trying to add turmeric to some of my dishes. I definitely am not a fan, especially in my tofu scramble. I don't think I used a lot at all. Maybe 1/4 tsp., if that, in the entire batch. Blech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you describe it as tasted like dirt, or stale?
I'm okay with tumeric, in fact have been drinking warm soy milk with it and ginger, but others have just hated it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page