Would you eat food that has touched meat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
KimberlyNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,492
The reason I ask is that my mom is offering me rice and beans and said she would take the ham out of the beans. I'm going to decline since the ham flavor is soaked into the sauce. But, in other circumstances (i.e. vegetables sitting on a plate next to a steak) would you eat veggie food that has touched non-veggie food?
KimberlyNYC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
TofurkyZombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 435
Nope. If I have seen that it's touched meat I won't eat it. It just grosses me out. However ignorance is bliss so if I don't see it touching the meat I just assume that it hasn't and hope that it hasn't.
TofurkyZombie is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ynaffit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,058
no.
ynaffit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
superjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 828
I don't eat food that's had the meat "picked out of it", but I'll scrape veg food off a plate with meat on it. I usually leave a little buffer zone of veggies so that I don't get meat juice in my food.



So I try to avoid it, but I don't get too anal. like, if we're BBQing, and someone accidentally flips a burger and it lands on my veggie burger, I'll still eat the veggie burger because I don't want to waste food.
superjane is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
tkrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 342
No. That turns my stomache. Recently, I went to an amusement park and like I assumed, there was nothing for me to eat except fries. So I waited in the line for twenty minutes only to find out that they kept the fries in the same bin as greasy, nasty chicken. Needless to say I left the line without any fries. I just think it's gross, I can't even stand the smell...
tkrk is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Baby Love
 
Jinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,813
If someone offered me beans with the pork picked out, I would definately decline. All the stuff is already soaked in



Whether or not I'd eat a food that 'touched' meat would depend on the meat and the degree of touching going on. As I am more grossed out by mammal meats (pig, cow, lamb, etc.), I would probably not eat anything that had much contact with it. If I am given a free lunch that includes something with animal products (other than pork, beef, etc), I usually just do the best I can to get a meal out of it, without completely compromising my values or feeling deprived.
Jinga is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Newbie
 
Spasmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11
If I eat anything that has even a little bit of meat in it, near it, touching it, or even in proximity of it, there's no way I'd eat it. I even refuse to eat food that's been grilled on the same rack as meat. It really makes me sick...even if I didn't know there was meat there to begin with.
Spasmic is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
CarbLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 599
Not if I've seen it, although I'm sure it happens at restaurants and I don't know about it.
CarbLover is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
contamination. nope
GhostUser is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Newbie
 
coldseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrk View Post

No. That turns my stomache. Recently, I went to an amusement park and like I assumed, there was nothing for me to eat except fries. So I waited in the line for twenty minutes only to find out that they kept the fries in the same bin as greasy, nasty chicken. Needless to say I left the line without any fries. I just think it's gross, I can't even stand the smell...



Wow. 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened to me. I was so hungry, but I prevailed. Good for you too.



I've had people say: "just take the pepperoni off"



No thanks.
coldseed is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Newbie
 
Maricat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmic View Post

If I eat anything that has even a little bit of meat in it, near it, touching it, or even in proximity of it, there's no way I'd eat it. I even refuse to eat food that's been grilled on the same rack as meat. It really makes me sick...even if I didn't know there was meat there to begin with.





My sentiments exactly.
Maricat is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
aliciam712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,463
no way. my grandmother offered me some soup the other day and my cousin (an omni, who actually made the soup) thankfully mentioned that it was made with chicken stock(she knows i'm veg), so i was able to avoid that one...however, i had to explain to my grandmother a few times that i chose not to eat it and why...even though she knows that i'm a vegetarian...but she just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of it...
aliciam712 is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Beginner
 
BadrashClothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 146
I won't do the "take the peperoni" thing off either... But I don't really care if my veggies have touched meat or not. As long as they weren't soaked in it or if there are parts of meat in it, i won't eat it...
BadrashClothing is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
punkmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,907
Bleah... I'm slightly paranoid about meat-contamination and don't like to be anywhere around where it's cooking, being served or being stored. I guess that's why we never eat out
punkmommy is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
colorful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,164
Depends on the situation, and on the intentions of whoever prepared the food. If someone is being obnoxious and says "just pick out the meat!" then I won't. But if they made a special effort to buy me veggieburgers for their BBQ, then grill it right on the grill with the meat, I know they meant well and I will eat it (but might try subtly wiping off the patty with my napkin first).



The one time I actually did try to pick meat out, was the week my baby was born. A friend of my husband's didn't know we were vegetarian and had home-made a lasagna for us. This was such a sweet gesture, and we were sleep-deprived and barely energetic enough to cook anything. I took one piece and painstakingly tried picking out the ground beef. It didn't work very well. After that piece I didn't eat anymore. My husband ended up taking it in his lunch for work for the next month. Didn't want to waste food.



As an ethical vegetarian, I don't think it is wrong to eat food that has touched meat, no additional animals were harmed. However there is that "yuck" factor.
colorful is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
AnaBanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 82
Yeah, like colorful said, I'm an ethical vegitarian so it doesn't matter as much to me. I don't really care about purity, except that I'd imagine any trace or dairy or meat could make me sick, since I haven't eaten them in a long time. I'm also not grossed out by meat, so it's not really a yuck factor either. I just don't like the idea of having to pick things out of my food. It's annoying and frustrating, and would make me feel like I'm eating leftovers or something. I prefer not to order, buy, or take from others any animal products, and I'm ok with having nothing if the only food choices are omni.
AnaBanana is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
makhno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 21
Yeah... I always worry they make boca burgers on the beef grill... *sigh*
makhno is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ceryna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,648
I try to avoid it to the best of my ability, but I'm sure I have, at restaurants, even though I ask them to be careful with it.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
ceryna is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
April's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,069
Yes, almost definitely. I wouldn't pick meat out of something like a pizza or cassarole, but if it's on top of my salad or whatever, I'll just push it aside and give it away. This happened to me at a hotel where I used to work. I ordered the penne pasta and they brought it to me with a sliced chicken breast, probably thinking they were hooking me up. I simply took off the chicken and gave it to a co-worker. For the most part, meat doesn't gross me out. For the most part, I crave it everyday.
April is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
VegiBoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
no, the thought makes me shudder.. ewww
VegiBoB is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Newbie
 
MoonWillGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31
Naw,that would make me feel a little queasy.
MoonWillGuide is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
Food touching meat is WAY different from food cooked with meat. I wouldn't eat food cooked with meat, but I eat veggieburgers grilled on the same grill as meat hamburgers all the time. Doesn't bother me at all.
epski is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 10:37 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Blech on the "picking out the ham". Pass.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Newbie
 
Tevvybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciam712 View Post

no way. my grandmother offered me some soup the other day and my cousin (an omni, who actually made the soup) thankfully mentioned that it was made with chicken stock(she knows i'm veg), so i was able to avoid that one...however, i had to explain to my grandmother a few times that i chose not to eat it and why...even though she knows that i'm a vegetarian...but she just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of it...



i find it almost funny how if you say "im a vegetarian" people often think you are happy to eat anything except the physical meat (or often anything but red meat), but it is kinda understandable. it doesnt have the appearance if being a dead anu\\imal, so they may not think of it in that way. mneh. thats why we have to educate them.

One other thing similar to what i was saying before, and i mean no offence to anyone by any of this, is why a vegetarian that is that way for moral reason would eat eggs, even free range ones. The thing i always think of is "what happens to the male chickens?". Its just something that i dont think many vegetarians reallythink about (i could be wrong). Im sorry if i offend, or sound too preachy, its just something that interests me.
Tevvybear is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Vicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,614
Yes i will eat food that had touched meat !
Vicky is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Baby Love
 
Jinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevvybear View Post

One other thing similar to what i was saying before, and i mean no offence to anyone by any of this, is why a vegetarian that is that way for moral reason would eat eggs, even free range ones. The thing i always think of is "what happens to the male chickens?". Its just something that i dont think many vegetarians reallythink about (i could be wrong). Im sorry if i offend, or sound too preachy, its just something that interests me.



Not to get too off topic here, but thats like saying why do some vegetarians consume dairy? What about the male cows? This is why we have all those wonderful vegans out there
Jinga is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
colorful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevvybear View Post


One other thing similar to what i was saying before, and i mean no offence to anyone by any of this, is why a vegetarian that is that way for moral reason would eat eggs, even free range ones. The thing i always think of is "what happens to the male chickens?". Its just something that i dont think many vegetarians reallythink about (i could be wrong). Im sorry if i offend, or sound too preachy, its just something that interests me.



Some of us do think about it. Not all egg farms brutalize baby male chicks. Not all dairy farms kill calves for veal. And not all vegetarians think that buying milk or eggs is inherently supporting the meat industry. If nobody bought veal, farmers would have no reason to kill baby calves for it.



again, though, not all farms are the same. see www.organicvalley.coop



Back on topic, though, I'm not a stickler if my food has touched meat.
colorful is offline  
Old 09-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Food touching meat is WAY different from food cooked with meat. I wouldn't eat food cooked with meat, but I eat veggieburgers grilled on the same grill as meat hamburgers all the time. Doesn't bother me at all.

I agree with Epski. I don't care if my food has touched meat or was cooked on the same grill or even in the same oil. I don't care if they use the same gloves or knife. But I normally won't pick out the meat from a dish and still eat the rest.
kpickell is offline  
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Astarte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,780
I'm with Kpickell and Epski, though I try to avoid it where I can.
Astarte is offline  
Old 09-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular
 
Jes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
What Epski said.



I was at a barbeque tonight and the hostess offered to get me a different pair of tongs, but I couldn't have cared less. However, the meat rotini that my mother just cooked? Not a chance I'd pick the meat out and eat it.
Jes is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off