9Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By Spudulika
  • 3 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 AM

Mince substitute?

Hi all new vegetarian here trying to figure out ways to continue cooking my usual meals but with substitutes for the meat. I use a lot of beef mince in spaghetti bolognaise, tacos, burritos etc and I've heard of using black beans but I'm not sure how to even prepare these to use as a meat substitute? Or any other ideas would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi BLouise
While I do love pasta with Tofurky italian sausage, I often have it with a sauce of pureed white beans, spices, simmered with sauteed veggies and minced garlic in a little olive oil. I have nutritional to add at serving to keep it's nutrition and because everyone likes different amounts.
I've made beanballs similar to this this recipe, and also make a pate' like thing with red lentils and bulgar that can be twisted to make other things--
1cup red lentils simmered in 2 cups water for about 10-13 minutes till soft. Turn off heat and stir in 1/2 cup bulgar whear and cover. Spice as you like. Good for both cold and hot pattes with burger type toppings, add to sauce for pasta, add to broth with veggies for soup. Super cheap, super easy, for a week
#3 Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLouise View Post
Hi all new vegetarian here trying to figure out ways to continue cooking my usual meals but with substitutes for the meat. I use a lot of beef mince in spaghetti bolognaise, tacos, burritos etc and I've heard of using black beans but I'm not sure how to even prepare these to use as a meat substitute? Or any other ideas would be much appreciated!
Do you live in the UK? Your local market should sell vegetarian mince: http://www.frysvegetarian.co.uk/prod...etarian-mince/

If you'd like to add cooked beans to your dishes, here is a video that shows how to cook them. This guy has a rather strong Southern United States accent, but his bean-cooking lesson is nice and simple. Beans take a couple of hours to cook - lentils take much less time (maybe 45 minutes):

LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 04-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used in various combinations and for different purposes: whole lentils, finely diced mirepoix (carrots, onions & celery), minced mushrooms, grated carrots & bulgur wheat.

I also second what David says, soya/wheat based veggie mince from the supermarket freezer is super handy and can be really tasty. Typically high in protein and low in fat, it's perfect for newbies (and not so newbies too).

Here's an example of lentil bolognaise:

http://www.netmums.com/recipes/lenti...etti-bolognese

If you are also giving up cheese as well as meat, then nutritional yeast is a good topping with a cheesy flavour that a lot of people use to put on their pasta. I also like 'pangritata' as a topping for pasta, also known as 'poor man's parmesan' it's a traditional Italian alternative to parmesan made from toasted breadcrumbs, olive oil and garlic.
LedBoots, Beautiful Joe and David3 like this.
#5 Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Longtime vegetarian

I'm a big proponent of faux meat products, and I highly recommend them, ESPECIALLY for new vegetarians. By using them you don't have to learn or do anything new. Just replace ground meat with a faux meat product, such as my favorite Morningstar Farms Grillers Crumbles or any similar product (Boca, Beyond Meat, etc.). Use one package in place of one pound of meat. Easy as can be and absolutely wonderful in the final result!

One tip I always like to add is this: use olive oil to make up for the lack of fat/grease. You'll get that satisfying mouth feel, plus olive oil is good for you.
#6 Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never before heard of a meat based mince. All the minces I am familiar with were made from fruit, usually, dried fruits such as raisins and apples.

My maternal grandmother usually had a mincemeat pie on holidays and it was always fruit, mostly a mixture of apples, raisins, and maybe some other fruits bought in a can at the supermarket and baked into a crust. I didn't like it much because I am not a fan of raisins.

I checked the dictionary and a mince is basically anything finely chopped and mixed together. I imagine you could use any combination of beans, and vegetables.

As for spaghetti, I have it with tomato sauce, sautéed vegetables and herbs, or just sautéed vegetables and herbs with a little olive oil or earth balance spread. It's also good with just some sautéed mushrooms and earth balance.
#7 Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Pagan Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienerose View Post
I have never before heard of a meat based mince. All the minces I am familiar with were made from fruit, usually, dried fruits such as raisins and apples.

My maternal grandmother usually had a mincemeat pie on holidays and it was always fruit, mostly a mixture of apples, raisins, and maybe some other fruits bought in a can at the supermarket and baked into a crust. I didn't like it much because I am not a fan of raisins.

I checked the dictionary and a mince is basically anything finely chopped and mixed together. I imagine you could use any combination of beans, and vegetables.

As for spaghetti, I have it with tomato sauce, sautéed vegetables and herbs, or just sautéed vegetables and herbs with a little olive oil or earth balance spread. It's also good with just some sautéed mushrooms and earth balance.
I think when previous posters have said "mince" they mean ground beef/turkey/etc...

I much prefer the one you're talking about though!

BLouise - I second the idea of using lentils or beans as a substitute. It's what I've been doing as I've gotten started and have found them really filling and tasty.

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone
#8 Old 04-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think the reference from cienrose was for "mincemeat" pie which is often a concentrate of dried highly spiced fruits and often contained minced meat. I had a small box of that stuff in my cupboard for years! I remembered having it as a kid, and was disgusted when I saw it had meat! I wasn't even vegetarian then and couldn't stomach the thought!

I use a mix of tempeh, oats, walnuts with lots of sage, thyme, onion, garlic, or whatever spices fit what I'm cooking. Process in a food processer. This is perfect to add some water, broth, or cook in sauce.

Here's another veggie based mince I like--
http://eatwithinyourmeans.com/vegeta...at-substitute/
scroll down for recipe...
#9 Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

In the UK we have "mince pies" at Christmas which are miniature pastry pies filled with a dried fruit based preserve called "mincemeat".

Mincemeat is exactly what Silva describes and though some people make it themselves at Christmas it's usually bought ready made in jars. Today it's composed entirely of dried fruit and spices and it has no meat in it. Traditionally it does contain suet in it (though it's usually vegetable suet these days) and you can often still see the white flecks of suet in amongst the brown fruit in jars of mincemeat today.

The inclusion of suet today is a hangover from the Middle Ages where they used to use up any nasty old bits of meat and fat that were hanging around, in pies full of dried fruit, apples and spices. The fruit and spices were used to conceal the rankness of the old bits of minced up meat. Hence "mincemeat".

You're welcome Lol!
Thalassa4 likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 04-29-2016 at 02:31 AM.
#10 Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 AM

I use soy flakes/granulate marinated for a few minutes in soy sauce as substitute. Worked fine for me so far

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page