Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By Muttley
  • 3 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By Poppy

#1 Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM

Unhappy My Boss Doesn't Believe I'm Ill

I'm vegan and when I eat meat or dairy I get really ill for three days. (vomiting and diarrhoea)
So this happened the other day and I called in sick at work on the second day (to give them time to find cover) to say that I wouldn't be coming in and the keyholder at the time said that was fine. I called in the next morning as we have to anyway and my manager didn't believe me and that I have to come in. I said I would literally sh*t myself if I came in and said she'd be 'having a talk with me when I'm back'.
She's been veggie for years and has never had a problem and says that I'm lying, but I tried to tell her that everyone's body is different and reacts differently. What should I do/say when I go back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 AM
an irregular

as a vegan, why are you eating meat and dairy, especially if it makes you violently sick ? you didn't mention what you do for work, but many companies require a doctor's note if you are out for multiple days at a time, maybe why she needs to have a talk with you?

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#3 Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
as a vegan, why are you eating meat and dairy, especially if it makes you violently sick ? you didn't mention what you do for work, but many companies require a doctor's note if you are out for multiple days at a time, maybe why she needs to have a talk with you?
It was by accident when it happened, but sometimes if I'm out and there's nothing else to eat, it's that or starving.
I work for Monsoon a clothes store, and it was just the one day I was calling in sick for, and I don't have a doctors note because 1: I'm at university and my university doctors are only open on weekdays and only book in patients for the next day (I was meant to work on Saturday so called up on the Friday and Saturday) So I wouldn't be able to get a note till Monday anyway. 2: I've had loose bowels since October since turning vegan in Auagust and the doctors have been terrible at it, not giving me any sick notes and not taking it very seriously (It's taken me till now end of March for them to decide to refer me to see someone about it :/ )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 AM
No flesh since 99'

There is no need to give the full details of what your sick with or why when you call in. Simply saying "I am vomiting and have diarrhea and will not be able to make it into work today. I will call later on if I feel I won't be able to make it in tomorrow" is all your employer really needs to know. An employer has no right to know your medical history in detail. Some companies require a doctors note, but thats a different issue.

Also, I see where your boss is coming from. As someone who hasn't eaten flesh in many, many years, the few occasions I've accidentally consumed some (it happens), I felt mentally disgusted but it has never made me physically ill. I think the majority of long time veggies don't become physically ill from accidentally eating a small amount of animal products. It's kind of a strange reaction. I think I'd have to deliberately eat a whole steak or chicken breast to become physically ill from it, which wouldn't be accidentally taking a couple bites of a dish containing it unknowingly. If you did only accidentally eat a small amount and had this kind of reaction, thats probably reason to check out if you have an allergy which would allow you to get a legitimate doctors note next time for an allergic reaction.
silva, Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#5 Old 03-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Bean Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
There is no need to give the full details of what your sick with or why when you call in. Simply saying "I am vomiting and have diarrhea and will not be able to make it into work today. I will call later on if I feel I won't be able to make it in tomorrow" is all your employer really needs to know. An employer has no right to know your medical history in detail. Some companies require a doctors note, but thats a different issue.

Also, I see where your boss is coming from. As someone who hasn't eaten flesh in many, many years, the few occasions I've accidentally consumed some (it happens), I felt mentally disgusted but it has never made me physically ill. I think the majority of long time veggies don't become physically ill from accidentally eating a small amount of animal products. It's kind of a strange reaction. I think I'd have to deliberately eat a whole steak or chicken breast to become physically ill from it, which wouldn't be accidentally taking a couple bites of a dish containing it unknowingly. If you did only accidentally eat a small amount and had this kind of reaction, thats probably reason to check out if you have an allergy which would allow you to get a legitimate doctors note next time for an allergic reaction.

From what I remember, you need to continue to eat meat in order to produce the correct enzyme to break down meat. I suppose it is possible for it to make someone extremely sick if their body has lost the ability to produce the proper enzymes, and if your body is in a very alkaline state, that might be harder for some people to do than others. In a sense, she probably has an enzyme deficiency which would include some of the symptoms she's talked about (gas, nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea).

The same happens with milk as well. I was already sensitive to it, but as I cut more and more out of my diet (pre-vegan days) I found I'd get sicker and sicker afterwards. Not too long ago I ate a dish that had heavy dairy in it without my knowledge (silly me forgot to ask). I ate it then realized mid way that it was full of cream. I was sick the entire day with the same symptoms. I suppose it's the same reason people who are lactose intolerant take pills which are actually the enzyme.

No idea how nerdy that was, or if it was even interesting... but, the more you know, right?!

Back to OP, I would refrain from mentioning the specifics next time. Like Kiwi says it's only if it's consistent sick days that you really need to get a doctor's note. I know accidental is one thing, but I'd also avoid eating 'last resort' meat dishes. Maybe you could store some emergency foods in your car or something, just in case there's nothing otherwise available?
#6 Old 03-21-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post

I think because I thought it was just fake meat as my friend cooked me dinner and I assumed she knew I was vegan as I've spoken about it before, but she must have forgotten. So I ate a whole curry with meat pieces. But the meal have had milk in aswell, which I also have a bad reaction with
#7 Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoxed View Post
From what I remember, you need to continue to eat meat in order to produce the correct enzyme to break down meat. I suppose it is possible for it to make someone extremely sick if their body has lost the ability to produce the proper enzymes, and if your body is in a very alkaline state, that might be harder for some people to do than others. In a sense, she probably has an enzyme deficiency which would include some of the symptoms she's talked about (gas, nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea).

The same happens with milk as well. I was already sensitive to it, but as I cut more and more out of my diet (pre-vegan days) I found I'd get sicker and sicker afterwards. Not too long ago I ate a dish that had heavy dairy in it without my knowledge (silly me forgot to ask). I ate it then realized mid way that it was full of cream. I was sick the entire day with the same symptoms. I suppose it's the same reason people who are lactose intolerant take pills which are actually the enzyme.

No idea how nerdy that was, or if it was even interesting... but, the more you know, right?!

Back to OP, I would refrain from mentioning the specifics next time. Like Kiwi says it's only if it's consistent sick days that you really need to get a doctor's note. I know accidental is one thing, but I'd also avoid eating 'last resort' meat dishes. Maybe you could store some emergency foods in your car or something, just in case there's nothing otherwise available?

Yeah I'll need to make sure I'm prepared whenever I go out now or at least double check as it was horrible going through that. Thanks
#8 Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryony Wharfe View Post
I think because I thought it was just fake meat as my friend cooked me dinner and I assumed she knew I was vegan as I've spoken about it before, but she must have forgotten. So I ate a whole curry with meat pieces. But the meal have had milk in aswell, which I also have a bad reaction with
Blimey! I can't imagine eating a whole curry without noticing that it's full of meat. My meat subs are nothing like as convincing
Poppy and Beautiful Joe like this.
#9 Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryony Wharfe View Post
It was by accident when it happened, but sometimes if I'm out and there's nothing else to eat, it's that or starving.
I know it is a common expression for people to say they are "starving" when they haven't eaten in a few hours, but it is helpful to remember that you really aren't starving just because you are hungry. You could easily fast for an entire 24 hour day if you wanted to.
#10 Old 03-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Ankle Biter

Imho, I think you need to take responsibility for what you eat. If you are vegan, then you need to tell people when they invite you for dinner, every time. (And it's nice when you bring something vegan to share.) And you need to keep some food around for when there are times vegan food is hard to find. Keep some nuts, vegan bars, fruit, pb & js - whatever you like in your backpack or car so that you don't have to eat something that is going to make you violently ill and go against your beliefs. You're at university. I imagine you can manage to keep yourself fed properly.
Pirate Huntress likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Be careful of the alcohol, it lowers inhibitions. I read recently that some veg*ns eat meat when they are inebriated.

Tags
vegan veggie work illness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page