What's the last vegetarian meal you had? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

#31 Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 PM

Much appreciated in Northern America, and soon everywhere else: the quesadilla

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-24-2016, 02:51 AM

I don't have a picture of it, but it was a creamy tomato soup (lots of onions, garlic, and liquid smoke) with vegan grilled cheese sandwiches. :-)
#33 Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Testing an Indian recipe: the Palak Paneer. Turned out quite nicely
@MaddieR523 : What is "liquid smoke"? Never heard of anything like it, yet alone put it into a soup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM

From France: the Quiche Lorraine.

Almost according to the original recipe with cauliflower and leek, but smoked and marinated tofu as bacon substitute

#35 Old 05-02-2016, 11:04 PM

An Indian dish again: Sambhara. Although I think cumin as a seasoning itself has a weird flavor, combined with mustard it tends to be quite good

#36 Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Gluten free spaghetti marinara with Italian garlic bread-sticks. They're made from a mixture of quinoa, sorghum, arrowroot starch, and tapioca flour. I ground the quinoa and sorghum myself with the new attachment I got from the Kitchenaid, without trying to sound pretentious, it really made a difference in the final product to have the fresh ground flour. Had to sift out a bit of bran though, am thinking about using it to bulk up veggie burgers in the future. The flours usually need to be a bit finer to make some of the bread products I make for the hubby now that gluten is banned from the house.

I'm saving up for the pasta maker attachments because I'm a DIY addict, but hopefully you guys enjoy the pics of the meal I made.
Attached Images

LedBoots and Spudulika like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

#37 Old 05-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
Gluten free spaghetti marinara with Italian garlic bread-sticks. They're made from a mixture of quinoa, sorghum, arrowroot starch, and tapioca flour. I ground the quinoa and sorghum myself with the new attachment I got from the Kitchenaid, without trying to sound pretentious, it really made a difference in the final product to have the fresh ground flour. Had to sift out a bit of bran though, am thinking about using it to bulk up veggie burgers in the future. The flours usually need to be a bit finer to make some of the bread products I make for the hubby now that gluten is banned from the house.

I'm saving up for the pasta maker attachments because I'm a DIY addict, but hopefully you guys enjoy the pics of the meal I made.
I enjoyed your pics very much, Aliakai.

Gluten free spaghetti with marinara sauce is one of my favorite meals. I am not a DIY when it comes to baking gluten free breads, although I am thinking that I should at least give it a go, your bread-sticks look delicious. One of the most difficult things, being gluten free, is finding prepared breads that I can tolerate, they all seem to lack flavor. It could be that I just want it to taste like the real thing.
#38 Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I admire your dedication! I used to make homemade pasta and bread, though it was easier when I worked from home to find the time. Never ground my own flour, though I have heard from those who have done so, that just like you say, the final product is incredibly good.
#39 Old 05-03-2016, 12:22 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I admire your dedication! I used to make homemade pasta and bread, though it was easier when I worked from home to find the time. Never ground my own flour, though I have heard from those who have done so, that just like you say, the final product is incredibly good.
To be honest, if it were a hand mill I wouldn't be so willing to do it (grinding the flour I mean) but the fact that the attachment was on sale and my husband is super paranoid about gluten contamination in his food convinced me to try. Most of the baking is made a lot easier with the stand mixer, same with pasta making when I get the attachments. I used to have an electric pasta machine and it made making ravioli and lasagne a ton easier.

I have brown rice pasta recipes that I've found that I'll be experimenting with, though I might mess around with chickpea or quinoa pasta, because I like the flavor of those flours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaj View Post
I enjoyed your pics very much, Aliakai.

Gluten free spaghetti with marinara sauce is one of my favorite meals. I am not a DIY when it comes to baking gluten free breads, although I am thinking that I should at least give it a go, your bread-sticks look delicious. One of the most difficult things, being gluten free, is finding prepared breads that I can tolerate, they all seem to lack flavor. It could be that I just want it to taste like the real thing.
The breadsticks were easy to make! They don't even have to rise that long this time of year. If you'd like the recipe I can post it.

The Allergy Free Cook Bakes Bread is a really good gluten free vegan cookbook. I've been messing with and tweaking recipes from it (the biscuits from my pot pie recipe are based on a recipe from that book) and it's really worth checking out. A lot of gluten free recipes require a stand mixer or hand mixer, but it's worth the investment for the taste quality. I started baking for Steve because he didn't like the selection of gluten free products either, though most of the recipes I've made from the aforementioned book taste pretty comparable to their wheat counterparts.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

#40 Old 05-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Red face

Quote:
The breadsticks were easy to make! They don't even have to rise that long this time of year. If you'd like the recipe I can post it.

The Allergy Free Cook Bakes Bread is a really good gluten free vegan cookbook. I've been messing with and tweaking recipes from it (the biscuits from my pot pie recipe are based on a recipe from that book) and it's really worth checking out. A lot of gluten free recipes require a stand mixer or hand mixer, but it's worth the investment for the taste quality. I started baking for Steve because he didn't like the selection of gluten free products either, though most of the recipes I've made from the aforementioned book taste pretty comparable to their wheat counterparts.
Yes please, I would appreciate the recipe, and thank-you! Also, thanks for the links.

I just finished dinner, had leftover Marinara sauce with this gluten free Penne....

http://ancientharvest.com/product/su...n-pasta-penne/

I am blown away, it is so good. When I was in Florida I picked it up at Lucky's and didn't use it, just put it away. Today I decided to see if it was something I might like....a complete surprise, I love it.
LedBoots likes this.
#41 Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 PM

Gluten free and vegan sounds like a real cooking challenge to me, sometimes I am glad that we only have to cook vegetarian at home But my respect to those you manage to go further. Speaking of vegan, I think our Miso soup yesterday was completely vegan too (although a bit on the salty side ), with a Miso stock cube, carrots, sh*take mushrooms, plain tofu, Wakame and some spring onions.

#42 Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Naan bread pizza with veggie toppings. My new favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#43 Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 PM

And after a Miso soup, you usually have:

With carrots, cucumber and an omelet.

#44 Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
Gluten free and vegan sounds like a real cooking challenge to me, sometimes I am glad that we only have to cook vegetarian at home But my respect to those you manage to go further. Speaking of vegan, I think our Miso soup yesterday was completely vegan too (although a bit on the salty side ), with a Miso stock cube, carrots, sh*take mushrooms, plain tofu, Wakame and some spring onions.

Gluten free really can be a challenge, but it gets easier and easier each day.

I tried gluten free pizza crust for the first time yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It was a veggie pizza with spinach, artichoke hearts, red onions and sliced tomatoes. The crust was very thin and quite crunchy, not at all doughy. We ate a 3:00 in the afternoon and I still haven't had breakfast yet. So far I have had none of the unpleasant side effects.....the ones that would have shown up within a couple of hours had it been regular wheat crust.

The Miso soup looks absolutely delicious, Phil1! I can eat my weight in Miso soup.
LedBoots likes this.
#45 Old 05-08-2016, 03:13 PM

No pictures, but I did eat something delicious. I made Chickpea Tofu in Spicy Madras Sauce, from Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen cookbook. I should have taken pictures, it was SO pretty. Red sauce, yellow tofu, green peas, and very spicy. I ate it over jasmine rice with some whole wheat naan to cut the heat a bit.

I love everything about Vegan Richa's recipes.
LedBoots likes this.
#46 Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCaityCat View Post
No pictures, but I did eat something delicious. I made Chickpea Tofu in Spicy Madras Sauce, from Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen cookbook. I should have taken pictures, it was SO pretty. Red sauce, yellow tofu, green peas, and very spicy. I ate it over jasmine rice with some whole wheat naan to cut the heat a bit.

I love everything about Vegan Richa's recipes.
Oh that sounds fantastic
#47 Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 PM

Quick, easy and intense: Tagliatelle with garlic, olive oil and chilies (and the parmesan cheese is vegetarian ofc)
If we have any Italian speakers here, is the correct translation "Tagliatelle all' aglio, olio e peperoncino"?

#48 Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Enchiladas
#49 Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM

A Dutch dish: the Stamppot, with potatoes, chicoree and some smoked tofu

#50 Old 05-15-2016, 11:51 PM

The meatball eggplant parm sub looks like a heart attack.
#51 Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 AM

Tomato soup with trahanas (a kind of pasta made with milk, it looks a bit like couscous). No picture, I cooked it yesterday night.
#52 Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Plant Powered

OOOH i love this thread! I've always loved to cook but since becoming Veg*n I've really been excited in the kitchen!!! We've been trying all kinds of new dishes, and even my omni husband is enjoying plant based meals - YAY! ^_^

Many of my meals lately have been more complicated, so last night for supper I just had a simple baked potato with some pan fried white beans, spinach and green onion in a little avocado oil, and a bit of trail mix for dessert
LedBoots likes this.
#53 Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

I cooked tapioca pearls in half water half coconut milk, added raisins, cinnamon flavoured sugar... I was looking for rhum but ach, was empty so I went for some Baileys

I put that in little pots, it will be my dessert for tomorrow, once cooled and firm. I was licking the warm pan while browsing veggie boards
LedBoots likes this.

Bon appétit !
#54 Old 05-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
I cooked tapioca pearls in half water half coconut milk, added raisins, cinnamon flavoured sugar... I was looking for rhum but ach, was empty so I went for some Baileys

I put that in little pots, it will be my dessert for tomorrow, once cooled and firm. I was licking the warm pan while browsing veggie boards
Please share recipe! Last time I tried tapioca I followed a recipe and it was verrry runny
#55 Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 PM

Never had that kind of dessert, but I guess it is a vegetarian alternative to things like Panna Cotta which normally contain gelatin?

Here's what we had lately:

Veggie Risotto with mushrooms (ceps), saffron and vegetarian Parmesan cheese. And of course some Italian white wine to go along with it .

#56 Old 05-23-2016, 06:37 AM

It was breakfast: Toast with tahini and oatmeal, plus orange juice. Too healthy for my standards, but tasty. xD
LedBoots likes this.
#57 Old 05-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Plant Powered

Smoked Almond & Chickpea Sammies from the Thug Kitchen cookbook. So good, I kept eating the filling with a spoon ^_^
LedBoots likes this.
#58 Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 PM

Another try with the stuffed zucchini. Results were much better this time As stuffing we used their own pulp, rice-shaped pasta, cream, cherry tomatoes and some spices.
Bitter Orange likes this.

#59 Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Taco Bell tacos with beans in place of the meat. Keeping it healthy

LedBoots likes this.
#60 Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Plant Powered

whole wheat spaghetti with vegan "pesto" sauce (kale, almonds, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil) and some homemade vegan pina colada ice cream for dessert ^__^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page