Not given job because I'm vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-08-2016, 05:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Not given job because I'm vegetarian?

I applied and interviewed for a role and I've been told that the sole reason I didn't get the job is because I'm a vegetarian and the role apparently involves handling and tasting meat products. I don't have a problem with handling meat, as though I view it as a dead animal rather than food, I don't see that it is contributing to more animal suffering as those people would cook it themselves anyway. I also don't see how it could be a requirement to eat meat for a job.

Is it even allowed that they can refuse employment on this reason? They otherwise felt I was a great fit, and I feel kind of victimised for having a compassionate belief
jjba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
What exactly is the job?

If part of the job specification is that you have to taste test meat products and you refuse to do so then you are not suitable for the job.
QuietVegan is offline  
#3 Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 AM
an irregular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 151
What sort of job? if you were given the job and it was alluded to during the interview that you would be consuming meat and hadn't told them you were a vegetarian, would you be able to fulfill all of the roles of that job which apparently involves eating meat? lots of different jobs out there with different requirements, cant really fault them for not hiring you if you cant fulfill the requirements.
VeggieSince88 and Purp like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
Muttley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
What exactly is the job?

If part of the job specification is that you have to taste test meat products and you refuse to do so then you are not suitable for the job.
It was in food research, at no point during the (very thorough) interview was a need to taste test the products being researched mentioned. Only when the interviewer mentioned it would be good for me to come along and be a participant to see if I would really be interested did I even mention my vegetarianism.
Purp likes this.
jjba is offline  
#5 Old 03-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Also, what country do you live in? Anti-discrimination laws obviously vary according to country, even according to State if you are in the US.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-c...eat-71908.html
Purp likes this.
QuietVegan is offline  
#6 Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
What sort of job? if you were given the job and it was alluded to during the interview that you would be consuming meat and hadn't told them you were a vegetarian, would you be able to fulfill all of the roles of that job which apparently involves eating meat? lots of different jobs out there with different requirements, cant really fault them for not hiring you if you cant fulfill the requirements.
At no point in the interview was consuming meat for the job role mentioned, only the preparation, which I'm personally okay with.
Purp likes this.
jjba is offline  
#7 Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
I wonder if they would also refuse to employ a coeliac or someone with an allergy to fish/eggs/dairy etc.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
QuietVegan is offline  
#8 Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
I wonder if they would also refuse to employ a coeliac or someone with an allergy to fish/eggs/dairy etc.
I thought the same thing, or even if my vegetarianism was a result of religious reasons. If I'm honest I feel like maybe I left and they all had a discussion about how they wouldn't want to work with a vegetarian or something, as it wasn't mentioned once that I'd need to consume the products being tested :/
Purp likes this.
jjba is offline  
#9 Old 03-08-2016, 06:55 AM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
Vegetarians/vegans who are so by choice (instead of those who are for allergy reasons or religious reasons) are not a protected class, and therefore a employer can choose not to hire based on that fact. Not every group can be a protected class. I will say, if they have that kind of attitude, would you *really* want to work in such an environment? Setting yourself up to be in a hostile work environment if you ask me. I'd just take it as a sign it wasn't meant to be and look for more accepting places.
VeggieSince88, Purp and scottti like this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#10 Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
I know that's the way that I should see it but I've been unemployed for 8 months so that's easier said than done, really disappointing to have had a really positive interview but be dismissed on something that I don't believe would affect my ability to do the job in any way, I have emailed to let them know that I don't have a problem with working around meat products, in case there was a misunderstanding there, but if not then I guess you're right and I should let it go and get back to hunting for a job
VeggieSince88 and Purp like this.
jjba is offline  
#11 Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 AM
an irregular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
I don't believe would affect my ability to do the job in any way,



except for ....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
.... the role apparently involves handling and tasting meat products. .


I hate to see people out of work and not being able to find a job, but this sounds like a strictly business decision, not one based on your ethics. When I used to be in the position of interviewing/ hiring people to work in my business groups, it was highly discouraged to start people who's personality or behaviors could cause hostile or separatist environments, simply for the fact, someone could turn around and sue for realistically any reason these days. so it could be, they may have in fact genuinely liked you and thought you were a good candidate, but if part of the job was to taste animal products, you, (not specifically you, but you as in a potential employee) could say, ' no I don't eat meat, you cant make me eat meat and if you fire me, i'll sue' . keeping you will make things potentially hostile along with not being able to fulfill the job requirements, as well as makes the boss who hired you look bad... which is probably what they are worried about.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
Muttley is offline  
#12 Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 66
Interesting. Here in Canada, the Ontario Human Rights Commission has been considering protecting ethical veganism as a creed, since it's a sincerely held belief that impacts all areas of a person's life. Doing so would protect vegans from employment discrimination, etc.

Still, if eating meat is part of the job description, than obviously you probably wouldn't qualify, but it's definitely discrimination if eating the food isn't required.
VeggieSince88 and Purp like this.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
ModVegan is offline  
#13 Old 03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
What kind of job are you going for?
Purp likes this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#14 Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
I wonder if they would also refuse to employ a coeliac or someone with an allergy to fish/eggs/dairy etc.
Or someone with religious beliefs against meat eating, or pigs or whatever.
Purp likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#15 Old 03-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
This job (and most of the other ones I'm applying to) are research based roles, I'm a graduate and that's what I did at uni, and a lot of my uni projects were about foods, I know I live in a meat-eating world so I've never been under the impression that I'd be able to walk into a food based research role at the beginning of my career and not work around meat at all, but I know I'd learn a lot and hopefully then be able to use that knowledge to help vegan/vegetarian brands in the future. As I've said, until after my thank you email the mention of having to try foods wasn't ever mentioned so I'd assumed it wouldn't be a problem, I even asked if there was anything that they thought would make me unsuitable and the end of the interview, as I knew this would give an opportunity for them to find out if my beliefs would affect my ability in the role but they said there wasn't anything. Just really disappointed really as it would have been a great opportunity and sad that not eating animal flesh is seen as a bad thing in any circumstances
Purp likes this.
jjba is offline  
#16 Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Hmmm...I don't think this is discrimination. I'm a practical person for the most part, despite being a veg*n eco-warrior and advocate of human rights, I have a die hard practical streak, and I'm thinking that you should have some common sense about a position that requires handling and tasting meat, as a vegetarian. It's like if you couldn't lift more than 50 lbs and applied for a job with heavy lifting. You simply aren't suited.
VeggieSince88, silva, Purp and 2 others like this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#17 Old 03-08-2016, 01:14 PM
an irregular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 151
just wait until you join the work force, especially a big food corporation, there will be PLENTY of opportunities to actually feel victimized!
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
Muttley is offline  
#18 Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Beginner
 
SteveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 157
Think about it from the employers point of view, they're not going to take a risk on someone who they know doesn't agree with the principles of their business. It's easier for them to employ someone who doesn't give a crap about dead animals.
SteveW is offline  
#19 Old 03-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Saying you're a vegetarian for a job that involves preparing meat is like saying you dislike kids for a job at a day care! Or you're an atheist for a job teaching at a Catholic school
Really they don't have to give reason for not hiring you, or in most places, for firing you. I remember my last job everyone had to sign a paper agreeing to that
Naturebound likes this.
silva is offline  
#20 Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Next time I'm asked why I'm unemployed now, I can just be like "because I care about animals, the planet and people". Sounds so ridiculous, 99% of jobs out there aren't ones which I agree with morally, and if I only applied to those I did, I'd apply to about 1 a week, so fed up of living in such a brainwashed world I feel like I'm on the brink of a breakdown about it most of the time
jjba is offline  
#21 Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
Next time I'm asked why I'm unemployed now, I can just be like "because I care about animals, the planet and people". Sounds so ridiculous, 99% of jobs out there aren't ones which I agree with morally, and if I only applied to those I did, I'd apply to about 1 a week, so fed up of living in such a brainwashed world I feel like I'm on the brink of a breakdown about it most of the time
But you say you're willing to do the job. You need better interviewing skills.
Look at it from the companies point of view.
Many people are employed in industries that in on way or another compromise their values.
You have a short time in an interview to show the company you have what they want. Unless being a vegetarian goes with the job, leave it out
silva is offline  
#22 Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
Next time I'm asked why I'm unemployed now, I can just be like "because I care about animals, the planet and people". Sounds so ridiculous, 99% of jobs out there aren't ones which I agree with morally, and if I only applied to those I did, I'd apply to about 1 a week, so fed up of living in such a brainwashed world I feel like I'm on the brink of a breakdown about it most of the time
No, please don't use that as an excuse- it's not.
Learn to sell yourself according to the particular job you're interviewing for.
Take cues from the interviewer. Go with the flow.
silva is offline  
#23 Old 03-09-2016, 06:04 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Out of interest, why did you mention to them that you are vegetarian if it wasn't relevant to the job?
QuietVegan is offline  
#24 Old 03-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
They asked me to come and be a participant in their research so I could get a good idea if I really wanted the job or not, and the piece of research was for a new pulled pork coating so I had to mention that I wouldn't be able to participate but could perhaps ask a family member (who are all meat eaters) to do so and I could observe
jjba is offline  
#25 Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
I had to mention that I don't eat meat, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about it. They emailed to say that they would have taken me on, and stated: "you were an exceptional candidate for the role and were very impressive at expressing oneself for someone with little experience in the professional world, however the role does include tasting all of the products we research, including meat products", yet apparently I have bad interviewing skills? Cheers. I've struggled in getting employment because I had choice in my degree and ended up making it very specific, meaning there's few jobs that I am the most qualified for out of the applicants.
jjba is offline  
#26 Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
I had to mention that I don't eat meat, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about it.
I don't understand.

I thought you said there was nothing said about tasting meat products until you told them you were vegetarian?

"It was in food research, at no point during the (very thorough) interview was a need to taste test the products being researched mentioned."

"At no point in the interview was consuming meat for the job role mentioned, only the preparation, which I'm personally okay with."

" If I'm honest I feel like maybe I left and they all had a discussion about how they wouldn't want to work with a vegetarian or something, as it wasn't mentioned once that I'd need to consume the products being tested"

QuietVegan is offline  
#27 Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Ooops - sorry I missed your post just before that one.

Unfortunately it would appear that tasting meat products IS a part of the job, so if you refuse to do that then you aren't suitable I'm afraid.
QuietVegan is offline  
#28 Old 03-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
To be honest, they should have made it clear in their advert and job description that food tasting was a requirement.

For example this advert that clearly states:

"Unfortunately, if you have any dietary restrictions (e.g. you are a vegetarian), food intolerances / allergies or have any medical conditions or take medication that may result in dietary restrictions, this position will not be suitable as sensory panellists are required to taste a varying range of products depending on projects. Panellists may have to consume a concentrated amount of caffeine, alcohol and acidic drinks meaning that individuals with heart problems or who take medication relating to the thinning of the blood will not be suitable for this position."

(Sensory Panellist, Reading Uni)

http://www.mmr-research.com/careers
QuietVegan is offline  
#29 Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
I would totally understand if I was applying to be a food panelist, but that wasn't the job role, it was to be the person observing food panelists/ analyse the data that comes from the panel, there is no need to try all products to do this job which is why it wasn't mentioned during the interview. I think that they just decided they didn't want to work with a vegetarian and didn't mention anything at the end of the interview so that they could look up whether they were allowed to not employ me based on my dietary choice
jjba is offline  
#30 Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Where do you live? If it's the UK I would take advice from someone who has studied employment law. Not sure of the laws re: discrimination in other areas of the world.

They have clearly stated in their email to you that they cannot offer you the posts due to the 'tasting' issue. If you can prove that's not part of the advertised role then you could claim discrimination.

It should be clearly stated in the job description if tasting is involved due to people with dietary allergies/religious restrictions.
QuietVegan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off