Not given job because I'm vegetarian? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

#31 Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Beginner

I'm guessing you mean something similar to this. No mention of food tasting mentioned.

Part-time Sensory Panel Assistant

"Do you have an interest in Food Science? Are you looking for a part-time position in London?

MMR Research Worldwide is a global market research agency, offering research solutions to support optimisation in products, packaging and all aspects of branding within food, drink and other FMCG and retail sectors.

An exciting opportunity has arisen to work part-time as a Sensory Panel Assistant based at one of our client’s sensory facilities in xxxxxxxxx for 4 days per week (Monday - Thursday).

You will be responsible for assisting the Sensory Panel Manager in the running of two sensory panels, preparing samples and materials for panel training and profiling and researching, sourcing and managing products for research. You will also arrange panel profiling sessions which involves preparing the Sensory Panel working area appropriately in good time for each session and clearing up afterwards and ensuring that all activities comply with basic food hygiene standards.

This job requires the ability to work well independently under tight timelines. As a member of a small sensory team you will possess excellent organizational, self-management, and attention to detail skills. Ideally a scientific lab, technical research or food service background along with IT literacy is desired. Excellent communication skills and a proactive, can do attitude is essential. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK with no restrictions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Now this one does indicate that you will need to taste food, albeit their spelling of palate is wrong!

JOB DESCRIPTION

A leading food quality and technical team for a UK retailer is currently recruiting a Sensory Panel administrator (must have a passion for food or food qualifications) to help prepare, lead and administer food sample panel testing. This is a key aspect of the business ensuring, quality products are delivered to the customer. You will be leading food sensory panels and must be a strong communicator and be confident to lead a group of panellists.

The Sensory Administrator shall be responsible for the customers / panellists participating in the testing. The role is also responsible for ensuring all customers undertake the assessment in silence and correctly, whilst upon completion of testing ensuring that all feedback is appropriately recorded.

The responsibilities for the role also include: * Leading food sensory panels and discussing results and obtaining true data. * Collating of all data on the product and creation of a report which is understandable and provides detailed feedback. * Preparation of testing facilities. The ideal candidate for this role shall have strong leadership, excellent communication, administration and organisational skills along with experience of working in an administrative role within a team environment. You will also need to be confident at using your own initiative with tasks, along with supporting colleagues on ad hoc projects and tasks, good time management is a must. To be successful in this role, you shall have: * A passion or qualification in food and more importantly a wide pallet. * Strong computer skills, high typing speed is essential (minimum 45 wpm, 75% accuracy rate). * Undertaken food and hygiene training. * The ability to lead and communicate clearly, effectively and think on your feet. If you feel you have the necessary skills, and want to deliver your insights within a leading UK retailer that is held in high regard in the marketplace (along with a LOVE for food), then we would welcome your application.
#33 Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Another, similar one from the same agency - and the same spelling error!

Despite it being an Admin role the mention of a wide pallet (sic) would appear to indicate some level of food tasting.

https://www.questsearch.co.uk/jobs/q...y-panel-leader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM

Yes! Something very similar but with analysis added in there too. I wouldn't have applied to a role where I believed food tasting to be a part of the job because I wouldn't want to waste my time or the employers time. I don't know if I'd want to go down the route of claiming for discrimination even if I knew I definitely could do, as it would cause so much animosity amongst my family (even though my parents, who are very heavy meat eaters, see this as discriminatory) that I'd "be attacking people for not agreeing with my beliefs". I'm definitely someone who tries to keep the peace as much as I can and as long as someone isn't directly disrespectful to me or someone else I'll try and let it go.
#35 Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
I had to mention that I don't eat meat, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about it. They emailed to say that they would have taken me on, and stated: "you were an exceptional candidate for the role and were very impressive at expressing oneself for someone with little experience in the professional world, however the role does include tasting all of the products we research, including meat products", yet apparently I have bad interviewing skills? Cheers. I've struggled in getting employment because I had choice in my degree and ended up making it very specific, meaning there's few jobs that I am the most qualified for out of the applicants.
They didn't need to say that! If it were discriminatory they only needed to say thank you, but are considering more qualified candidates! Maybe you can get back with them and ask for consideration for other positions, or even networking for other companies.
It was nice of them to say that!
Is your field that food oriented?
#36 Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Hi jjba, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience - especially after all your education to get where you are now! I am sure that there is something out there for you and you have been very patient.

Having been in the area of research (though not in food research), perhaps you have some skills that you can use in other areas to expand the type of businesses and positions you can apply to? Statistics? Report writing? Survey methods? Sometimes, a diverse educational background can be attractive to employers. Once you have something, anything that can give you an income and experience, you can take your time applying to your dream jobs in food research. Find companies that you like (and that don't test meat products) and send them your resume to let them know that you are interested...even if they aren't hiring. Don't worry! Things WILL work out for you, just keep an open mind.
silva likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page