11Likes
  • 4 Post By douglerner
  • 4 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By douglerner

#1 Old 03-05-2016, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

First time posting as a "vegetarian" (rather than a vegan)

Hi all. I've been a member for a number of years, and posted a lot in the vegan support forums over the last 4 years or so.

From 2012 to 2014 I was on the Ornish heart-disease reversal program and ate vegan for about 700 days. I lost a great deal of weight, but then I started rebounding and I've regained about half of what I lost. I'm trying to prevent a complete rebound.

But the main problem I had with the vegan way of eating is that I never was able to get used to it digestively. I enjoyed what I ate, but I was in digestive distress for almost two solid years - basically bloating, etc. People in the vegan forums said I would "adjust" but I never did.

I thought it was from the tofu, and the legumes, so I tried vegan probiotics, etc. but nothing helped. I eventually stopped eating tofu and legumes and, well, basically things started going poorly.

Between 2014 and the end of 2015 I tried various ways of eating - even low carb diets with lots of animal products (meats, chicken, etc.). What I found was that those diets were better digestively, but I couldn't lose weight. Plus I have to admit I always felt weird eating chicken and then playing with my cute pet java sparrows in the evening.

I also began to realize that grains were doing me in weight-wise - even whole grains. They are really high glycemic (even brown rice or 100% whole wheat) and they trigger food cravings for me.

Finally in February - just 4 weeks ago - I discovered "yet another" diet combination. One I hadn't tried before. It's a "lower carb" plan (25% carbs, 25% protein, 50% fat). It's balanced and doesn't try to force you into ketosis by being super low carb.

While the diet itself isn't specifically vegetarian, the author (a professor at Harvard) writes glowingly about the health benefits of being vegetarian and all the meal plans and recipes in the book have vegetarian alternatives. And they have a very supportive group at Facebook.

Anyway, I decided to try the vegetarian version of the program, so for the past 4 weeks I've been what I guess is called ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I've lost some weight (it's a slow weight loss program, not a quick one) but what I wanted to mention here was that within just 2 days all the digestive distress I experienced when vegan vanished! Gone! Completely! It was like I had the digestive system of an 18 year old again!

I think what I discovered was that while some people are lactose intolerant, I seem to be sort of "super lactose tolerant." I've been eating full fat yogurt and cheeses.

As a result, I can also eat lots of very delicious tofu, and various kinds of legumes like edamame, garbanzo beans and red kidney beans and I have zero digestive problems. Not even bloating or things like that!

So I feel very comfortable eating vegetarian this way. And I'm also having nuts, which I didn't have on the zero-fat Ornish program, plus olive oil for sauteeing, and even butter sometimes.

The amount of total calories I'm eating every day seems on the high side, but I'm slowly losing weight, and the foods are very satisfying with the relatively high fat ratio in what I'm eating. But I'm also eating some fruits (e.g. delicious apples cut up into full fat creamy plain yogurt).

I'm avoiding all sugars and sweeteners, and also grains and starchy vegetables for now.

But I'm eating plenty of other vegetables: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes.

I feel comfortable this way, and so I thought I would post to the vegetarian support forums and say hey.
Purp, veggie man, David3 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglerner View Post
Hi all. I've been a member for a number of years, and posted a lot in the vegan support forums over the last 4 years or so.

From 2012 to 2014 I was on the Ornish heart-disease reversal program and ate vegan for about 700 days. I lost a great deal of weight, but then I started rebounding and I've regained about half of what I lost. I'm trying to prevent a complete rebound.

But the main problem I had with the vegan way of eating is that I never was able to get used to it digestively. I enjoyed what I ate, but I was in digestive distress for almost two solid years - basically bloating, etc. People in the vegan forums said I would "adjust" but I never did.

I thought it was from the tofu, and the legumes, so I tried vegan probiotics, etc. but nothing helped. I eventually stopped eating tofu and legumes and, well, basically things started going poorly.

Between 2014 and the end of 2015 I tried various ways of eating - even low carb diets with lots of animal products (meats, chicken, etc.). What I found was that those diets were better digestively, but I couldn't lose weight. Plus I have to admit I always felt weird eating chicken and then playing with my cute pet java sparrows in the evening.

I also began to realize that grains were doing me in weight-wise - even whole grains. They are really high glycemic (even brown rice or 100% whole wheat) and they trigger food cravings for me.

Finally in February - just 4 weeks ago - I discovered "yet another" diet combination. One I hadn't tried before. It's a "lower carb" plan (25% carbs, 25% protein, 50% fat). It's balanced and doesn't try to force you into ketosis by being super low carb.

While the diet itself isn't specifically vegetarian, the author (a professor at Harvard) writes glowingly about the health benefits of being vegetarian and all the meal plans and recipes in the book have vegetarian alternatives. And they have a very supportive group at Facebook.

Anyway, I decided to try the vegetarian version of the program, so for the past 4 weeks I've been what I guess is called ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I've lost some weight (it's a slow weight loss program, not a quick one) but what I wanted to mention here was that within just 2 days all the digestive distress I experienced when vegan vanished! Gone! Completely! It was like I had the digestive system of an 18 year old again!

I think what I discovered was that while some people are lactose intolerant, I seem to be sort of "super lactose tolerant." I've been eating full fat yogurt and cheeses.

As a result, I can also eat lots of very delicious tofu, and various kinds of legumes like edamame, garbanzo beans and red kidney beans and I have zero digestive problems. Not even bloating or things like that!

So I feel very comfortable eating vegetarian this way. And I'm also having nuts, which I didn't have on the zero-fat Ornish program, plus olive oil for sauteeing, and even butter sometimes.

The amount of total calories I'm eating every day seems on the high side, but I'm slowly losing weight, and the foods are very satisfying with the relatively high fat ratio in what I'm eating. But I'm also eating some fruits (e.g. delicious apples cut up into full fat creamy plain yogurt).

I'm avoiding all sugars and sweeteners, and also grains and starchy vegetables for now.

But I'm eating plenty of other vegetables: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes.

I feel comfortable this way, and so I thought I would post to the vegetarian support forums and say hey.
Hi Doug, I am so glad to see you back!!! I'm so glad that your vegetarian eating plan is working out so well. Keep it up! I hope your labs and cardiac functions are still improving too.
#3 Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad you're feeling better!
I do have to say if it were anyone else I'd be awfully skeptical! Never have I heard anyone actually doing better with such inflammatory foods.
Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Curious about the science behind that
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry veganism wasn't working for you. Actually, I wish more people knew that even whole grains can be quite high glycemic index; my diet is quite heavy in them but I make an effort to only eat large quantities of them shortly before I will be physically active, as opposed to later in the day when I'm about to go to bed. As I understand it, even whole grain bread has almost as high a glycemic index as white, unless it contains a high percentage of large unground grain fragments, which digest more slowly.

I have no trouble controlling my weight, but there is cardiovascular disease on one side of my family, and Type 2 Diabetes on the other. I take steps to avoid both, but I worry more about diabetes. I also find fatty foods to be quite satisfying as far as food enjoyment goes, and I know we need them (essential fatty acids, for example), but I'd be hesitant to get 50% of my calories from fats. My main complaint about my current diet is actually the large amount of indigestible fiber:

Spoiler
No actual bloating, discomfort or apparent health issues- it's just a bother having to take a dump after every meal, it seems. I'm tempted to start including more white bread and white rice in my diet to lessen this nonsense, but there's that threat of diabetes lurking- and since grains are a major part of what I eat, refined grains never have all the good things lost during milling replaced, and nutrient supplements are not as well-absorbed as nutrients from whole foods... I'll just have to deal with it.

Welcome back to the boards.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 03-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.
#5 Old 03-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglerner View Post

I'm sorry veganism didn't work out for you, but I'm glad you're a vegetarian. Keep up the good work and good to see you back on the boards.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 03-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replies people. Sorry for not noticing them until now. I have my next blood tests on 4/18 so I can report back about positive/negative changes to things like HbA1c and cholesterol then.

My weight is not really changing at all. But digestively I have felt extremely comfortable these past 7 weeks as a vegetarian, and at least I'm not gaining. I do think calorie control is needed on top of what I'm doing.

doug
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 03-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Doug

If you don't mind my asking, were you following the Ornish heart-disease reversal program because you have same coronary artery disease issues?

Tags
dieting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page