• 1 Post By skinnieminnie
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Lipps
  • 1 Post By wearesavoury

#1 Old 02-27-2016, 08:48 PM

What's for lunch?

Hey Everyone! I've recently made the transition to vegetarianism, I really enjoy it so far but I have one burning question. Due to the type of work I do I'm required to take a packed lunch to work every day, I don't have the option to heat up any food and I'm baron for ideas beyond fruit and nuts as for what to pack for lunch. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Congratulations on your transition!

I frequently have to pack a lunch/dinner for work as well, though I will admit it's a bit harder to do if you don't have the option to reheat your meal. Luckily, there are more cold options out there than fruit and nuts.

More often than not, I pack a lot of salads and sandwiches for work. Packing a salad in a mason jar will keep it from getting too soggy and it's very convenient + easy to transport. When I get tired of leafy salads, I like to take a quinoa or pasta salad to work with me, and you can always switch up the veggies and dressings that you want to throw in there.

Overnight oats or a smoothie bowl are also good choices. Hope that helps!
#3 Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 PM

Thanks! I've thought about sandwiches but I get lost on what to substitute the meat with, pasta salad sounds like a great idea as well I hadn't thought of that. Again, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Unless you're against faux meat for some reason, why not simply substitute vegan/vegetarian cold cuts for their animal-based counterparts? I'm very fond of Tofurky's Hickory Deli Slices, but all of their deli slices are good. Other companies make deli slices, too, so you could try any number of them to see what you like best.
#5 Old 02-27-2016, 11:01 PM

I don't mind the cold cuts its more an issue of budget though, the price to portion ratio is a bit disheartening
#6 Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Christ View Post
I don't mind the cold cuts its more an issue of budget though, the price to portion ratio is a bit disheartening
That's certainly a valid point! How about looking for them when they're on sale? And stuffing your sandwiches with lots of other stuff: lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickles, onions, whatever suits you.
skinnieminnie likes this.
#7 Old 02-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here is a delicious looking site with filling lunches that won't cost an arm and a leg. They take a bit of prep, so practice your knife skills (youtube) and it'll halve you're time.
http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Vega...859587?slide=2
#8 Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

We have some other threads here that share lunch and sandwich ideas:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/46...unch-tips.html

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21...cipe-help.html

And here are 50 vegan sandwich recipes:

http://vegansoulpower.blogspot.com/2...andwiches.html

Some of my current favorite sandwiches:

mash some canned chickpeas in a bowl. Add some chopped onion and celery. Add a dollup of vegan mayonnaise (some brands are Just Mayo, Vegannaise, Spectrum Eggless Mayo, Earth Balance Mindful Mayo). Mix it all together and add some black pepper if you like that. Add this spread to a few sandwiches and you are good to go.

Another is to spread some canned tomato paste over your slices of bread. Add some olives, onion, cooked green pepper and mushroom for a pizza sandwich.

Thinly sliced tempeh, cooked savoy cabbage, sauerkruat sandwich

Sliced tempeh, sliced tomato, vegan mayo sandwich

Tortilla wrap with hummus, sprouts, red pepper, cucumber

Whole wheat pita with can of fat free refried beans (the full fat ones often have lard in them but the fat free ones are usually vegan), salsa, tomato, green pepper

If you make soup ahead and bring a thermos, you can have hot soup that way. I do this often. I make a huge batch of soup (sometimes in my crockpot) and store it in a large container in the refrigerator. Each morning during the work week, I will heat a portion in the microwave, add it to my thermos, and bring it to work. It stays warm all day. I will have a homemade slice of bread or a muffin with it, or bring along a salad too.

I always pack my lunches and bring them, and almost always eat them cold simply because I work in a building with over 300 people and we have four microwaves, so there is always a line for those. I just eat my food cold because I only have a half hour for lunch lol. I've done it with soba noodles and bok choy/sesame seeds, or with beans, veggies and rice, or black beans and kale and sweet potato curries etc.

However, there is a coffee machine in the cafeteria that also has a hot water spout and I utilize that. I'll bring some oats in a baggie with nuts, raisins, spices, stevia. I simply pour it into a bowl I bring, and add some hot water from the coffee machine to it for hot oats. This works for couscous also.

Or I will make a quick smoothie in the morning and bring that to work, though I usualy drink it as a post workout snack when I first get to work after the gym.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This recipe works great for getting thin deli slices-
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06...unch-meat.html
You can use whatever beans you like, I used a box of silken the last time and thought that was best. any herbs and spices you like.
I don't bother steaming first anymore. I use the broiler pan that came with the oven with water in the bottom and roll the dough in a log shape on foil, twisting the ends so it's sealed. I bake about an hour at 350 F, turning every 20 minutes. It will swell in the foil. I leave it in the oven after turning off the heat to cool.
I just found prices went up where I ordered online! I find it in stores for about $5.xx, online is now $6.xx. Anyway, the bag makes 2 1/2 seitans. each one is about a log of about 10-12 inches long, and a about four inches diameter
#10 Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

A good thermos container for soups, stews, noodles

I make this often-it's great for cold sandwiches-
1 cup red lentils simmered in -
2 cups water for about 12-15 minutes till soft
Add-
1/2 bulger wheat, stir, turn off heat and sit covered.
Add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, couple tablespoons of ketchup, or a splash of vinegar if you like. This is thick, pate' like that you can form as cold patties and go well with whatever sandwich toppings you like. I use cumin to season and have with pickle slices, onion, and Just mayo or ketchup and mustard.
Super cheap and also good if you add to spagetti sauce, or mix in some breadcrumbs and bake for meatess balls
#11 Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hey Everyone! I've recently made the transition to vegetarianism, I really enjoy it so far but I have one burning question. Due to the type of work I do I'm required to take a packed lunch to work every day, I don't have the option to heat up any food and I'm baron for ideas beyond fruit and nuts as for what to pack for lunch. Any ideas?
Hi Craig, because I get bored of sandwiches I routinely make grain based salads for lunch. Wholewheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat, wholewheat noodles and wholemeal couscous form the basis of a lot of my lunches.

You don't have to use 'brown' grains you can use white version of course, they're all filling and satisfying.

With pasta, I will often use a pesto or tomato style dressing along with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, cucumber and sliced olives.
With rice, I will often use peas and sweetcorn with onions, cucumber and tomato. Probably just salt and pepper to season.
With quinoa, I like diced avocado, roasted squash, toasted almonds or pine nuts, tomato and shredded spinach leaves. Dressed with lime, chilli and coriander leaf.
With Bulgar wheat I'll often do a traditional Tabbouli with onion, cucumber & tomato. Dressed with lots of fresh chopped mint, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice.
With noodles I like diced tofu, spring onions, shredded carrots, cucumber & peanuts in a soya sauce, sesame oil and lemon juice dressing.
Couscous I treat much the same as either bulgar wheat or quinoa.

Apart from those idea, there are bread based salads, salads made with gnocchi or bean salads. All kinds of options for dressings available on the web.

The great thing is, that if you make a big batch on a Sunday and store it in the fridge, it should last you pretty much all week.
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 02-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Beginner

Last night we made Azifa, an Ethiopian lentil salad served cold. It has cooked green lentils, onions, hot chilies, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. We haven't made injera yet, so we ate it with some chipatis. (injera is ethiopian bread and chipatis are similar to tortillas)

It was very tasty. A very easy lunch item that will keep you full for the second half of the day. This is NOT my pic, but this is pretty much what it looks like:
VeggieSince88 and Spudulika like this.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#13 Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
Last night we made Azifa, an Ethiopian lentil salad served cold. It has cooked green lentils, onions, hot chilies, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. We haven't made injera yet, so we ate it with some chipatis. (injera is ethiopian bread and chipatis are similar to tortillas)

It was very tasty. A very easy lunch item that will keep you full for the second half of the day. This is NOT my pic, but this is pretty much what it looks like:
Ooh, goodie, I will look that up!
#14 Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Creamy mushroom pancakes

I made these

Delicious savoury pancakes with a creamy spinach, mushroom and garlic sauce.

wearesavoury.wordpress.com/2016/02/28/savoury-pancakes/

Have a look! Ive recently become vegan and this is so creamy you would not believe it was vegan!
VeggieSince88 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page