Sad! [Lobsters in grocery stores] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually shop at my local health food store, but i had to do a quick run to the supermarket to pick up a few items. Everytime i see the lobsters in the tank it breaks my heart!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i haven't seen live lobsters in a supermarket in a long time.
#3 Old 08-31-2004, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

They still have live lobsters here I take the long way around the store to avoid them. Dumb store puts the soymilk on the opposite side of the veggies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

At the supermarket we used to go to there were live lobsters and I used to beg and go and see them. I'd press my nose against the side and they'd claw ('wave') at me. It made me so sad.

Here theres no lobsters in the grocery store, but there is a huge tank at the sea food place in the same plazza. I try not to look in the window when we walk past now, it makes me to sad.
#5 Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM

I feel the same way. We have live lobsters in all our grocery stores. My husband and I always say "save the lobsters!" to each other when we see them because when we first got married we were going to "adopt" a lobster as our first pet, just so one could be saved. We never did though, but are still tempted. Poor lobbies.

Jen
#6 Old 08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

when i was little, and stores around here did have them, i used to always like to go and see them. it was the high point of going to the grocery store. i didn't really think about what happened to them, though.
#7 Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

so sad i don't wanna talk about it
#8 Old 08-31-2004, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was small, I used to gaze at them. Then the butcher grabbed one, and put it in a pot. I was traumatized.
#9 Old 08-31-2004, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a little girl, I would stand at the tank and talk to the lobsters while my mom shopped. It made me so sad that their claws were bound shut and they were all crammed in a tank with no place to go. Sometimes I would cry on my way home from the market because I couldn't do anything for them.
#10 Old 08-31-2004, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It's so sad. Interesting how consumers can see a LIVE animal in front of them and STILL be desensitized towards them. Also, what makes me upset is that the Whole Food is (the one where I shop, at least) sells them. A store that 'claims that the animals they sell have been happily grazing, cage-free (for lack of a better term)....Transportation alone is difficult on lobsters, not to mention their death!
#11 Old 08-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic Sponge View Post

I usually shop at my local health food store, but i had to do a quick run to the supermarket to pick up a few items. Everytime i see the lobsters in the tank it breaks my heart!

It could be worse. You could work in a health food store ... that sells lobsters. I don't mind so much seeing them in the tank, but when a customer comes into my line with a lobster box and I know I'm *scanning* a living creature it turns my stomach. I lose all respect for the person in front of me, and I find it hard to even try being nice to them.
#12 Old 08-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I work in a grocery store and I can't stand to look at the live lobsters in the tank...I never look at it anymore, haven't seen it in a long time. Makes me want to cry.
#13 Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom can never understand why I don't eat crab or lobster. "But their brains are so tiny!" she says. Grrrrr...

It is definitely a reality check to see the lobsters in the tank. I mean, I know when I look at a hunk of meat that it was once a cow, but I have to think to make the connection. Actually seeing a live animal, bound and waiting for its death, is so sad. It's like if the cows were lined up with the butchers ready to dig in... *shudders*
#14 Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

It could be worse. You could work in a health food store ... that sells lobsters. I don't mind so much seeing them in the tank, but when a customer comes into my line with a lobster box and I know I'm *scanning* a living creature it turns my stomach. I lose all respect for the person in front of me, and I find it hard to even try being nice to them.

Wow.......I would hate my job!!!! My in-laws had a huge "lobster bake" to celebrate somebody's birthday. I almost started to cry when they brought 15 lobsters into the kitchen to be boiled to death. I was so upset, disgusted and just downright pissed off. We were living with my MIL at the time, so I couldn't really protest it. My DH took me for a long walk so I wouldn't have to be there to hear or see the cooking process. The house smelled so rank that I had to eat my food outside on the porch. We ended up leaving for the rest of the day while the ouse aired out. Needless to say, the next day I scoured my house from floor to cealing so the lingering stench would be gone!!!

It's so very depressing........I don't know how you do it!!
#15 Old 08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerbaboon View Post

When I was small, I used to gaze at them. Then the butcher grabbed one, and put it in a pot. I was traumatized.

Why would the butcher put a lobster in a pot?
#16 Old 08-31-2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why would the butcher put a lobster in a pot?

some stores offer free steaming of seafood, which is probably why ol butch was boilin the lobster.
#17 Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

some stores offer free steaming of seafood, which is probably why ol butch was boilin the lobster.

Should I even ask what the point is in buying a life lobster, having it cooked by billy, the meat/seafood clerk and registered sex offender, then taking it home and reheating it is? Maybe I have been vegetarian too long.
#18 Old 08-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Should I even ask what the point is in buying a life lobster, having it cooked by billy, the meat/seafood clerk and registered sex offender, then taking it home and reheating it is? Maybe I have been vegetarian too long.

[email protected] s.o...i almost spit out my water at that. Hell, I dont know the point either, when it has to be reheated by the time you get it home.

If you ask me, that's just like me going to whole foods to buy a vegan burrito and have them heat it up for me..and by the time i get home its all crusty, cold and hard..(heh that so describes my ex). Anyway..what's the point of doin that?
#19 Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 PM

hey,I kinda know you. You're the one that told me to go to veggieboards.com on gURL.com. (future_NYC_fame) (I'm talking to formerbaboon)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page