Do I need an EPA/DHA supplement? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 PM

Do I need an EPA/DHA supplement?

Or is a daily tablespoon of ground flaxseed enough? I've read that ALA is converted to EPA and DHA, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Some articles say a decent intake of ALA would be adequate, while others say you should take an EPA/DHA supplement.

Thoughts?

I'm a 15 year-old girl, if that helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Eat a variety of plant foods and you will be fine. No need to stress over every detail. If it would make you feel better, by all means take a DHA supplement. Some people swear by them. I have taken one off and on (Deva vegan DHA) but it really doesn't do much for me. There are many of us who have been vegan for years without tons of supplements and we are doing fine! Avocados, walnuts, flaxseed, chia or hemp seeds are all great sources of ALA. Best wishes!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

For DHA I have recently decided to start taking it. It could be many years much like B12 before we see problems, and it could vary from person to person.

Thing is I've not been able to find any evidence either way whether flax would be enough for DHA. As far as I know nobody really knows yet. You would think plants would be enough because civilizations have been land locked for ages and they didn't die off. However it's possible a percentage of the population cannot produce enough DHA.

Who knows? I don't. What I do know is that I can be safe for 50 cents a day until I do know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Like @odizzido , I started taking one "just in case" while I was pregnant and have kept on afterward because, well, why not? If you can afford a supplement and there are no risks involved, might as well be certain you're getting enough.
#5 Old 01-10-2016, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I was exhausted last night after getting home late, and forgot to add this link about vegans and DHA:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3
runnerveggie and LedBoots like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I was exhausted last night after getting home late, and forgot to add this link about vegans and DHA:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3
I definitely recommend this article. I used to take a algae-derived DHA/EPA supplement, but the prices started going up and up and up. This was around the time fish oil was losing some credibility in preventing cardiovascular disease, so I decided to stop taking it. It looks like the evidence of a beneficial effect of DHA/EPA supplement is questionable at best, although it is unlikely to be harmful. I would feel a little more strongly that a DHA/EPA supplement should be taken during pregnancy and early childhood, as there is some suggestion that DHA and EPA may be involved in brain development.
#7 Old 01-10-2016, 06:57 AM

ALA should be fine as long as you are not eating Omega-6s in excess. I have seen a number of 4 (Omega-6): 1 (Omega-3) or less. I have about 3 tbsp of ground flax seeds and focus on monounsaturated rich foods for the rest of my fats. Getting enough omega-6 is never an issue for me.

I also take an algae oil supplement just to be on the safe side. Although it is the most expensive and least necessary supplement I take...
#8 Old 01-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone!

I did already read that article, but I still wasn't sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page