• 1 Post By Lil' Tofu
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 01-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Had chicken salt the other day

Hi there,

I made a pledge in 2016 to go either vegan/vegetarian. I took the first step this week (on the 4th of January) and cut out meat and chicken from my diet. I'll be honest, I did plan to go vegan on the first day of the new year but I didn't go on with it (I had ice cream, chicken breast, chicken wraps, and more etc for the first few days of the new year. But that's not the point. I thought it would be better to cut out things I'm used to such as chicken and meat and slowly ease into the diet.

So now, I've cut out chicken and meat and am currently on a pescatarian diet. I'll eventually cut out seafood and then become vegetarian and then try veganism 40-50 days before Easter (a diet required in my religion) and then workout which diet works for me.

But the other day, me and a friend went out to eat at a fast food place. I didn't get any burgers (he did), but I got large fries with chicken salt. I read the next day and found out that the chicken salt's distributed here in Australia all contain extracts of chicken. It did occur to me while I was eating that it could contain extracts of chicken but I was still ignorant of this and ate it, and thus, wouldn't necessarily call it an accident. I should've been more careful, it was a fast food place after all.

Was what I did wrong? Can I still continue to become vegan/vegetarian?
Loki Laufeyson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Tomorrow is a new day for a new start. But you can also start now!

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 AM

Thanks for this! I can start now, but I'm more comfortable with easing into the diet - as I mentioned above. But sooner or later, I will cut out seafood. I just feel bad and wrong for eating chicken salt when I know it could've contained extracts of chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2016, 05:57 AM
an irregular

But now it will stick with you and you'll remember it next time and likely be more conscious of looking at what ingredients are in something.

I've never heard of chicken salt, but wouldn't you assume something with chicken in the title would most likely contain a chicken product?

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#5 Old 01-08-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
But now it will stick with you and you'll remember it next time and likely be more conscious of looking at what ingredients are in something.

I've never heard of chicken salt, but wouldn't you assume something with chicken in the title would most likely contain a chicken product?
Not necessarily. The chicken noodles I have are vegetarian.

Last edited by Liquinn; 01-08-2016 at 06:11 AM.
#6 Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Happy vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Not necessarily. The chicken noodles I have are vegetarian.
That is probably made with chicken broth.
David3 likes this.
#7 Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

You're new! Don't beat yourself up. Just ask for no chicken salt next time.

FYI, chicken is considered meat.
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#8 Old 01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Ankle Biter

Apparently vegan chicken salt and bacon salt are available here. Who knew? Chicken Salt and Bacon Salt
LedBoots, David3 and no whey jose like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

I had corn chicken, rive and sauce but it tasted "different" to the real thing.
#10 Old 01-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
I had corn chicken, rive and sauce but it tasted "different" to the real thing.
We've been over this, @Liquinn .
LedBoots and Muttley like this.
#11 Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course you can...

Why do people think that because they slipped once or twice and had meat, it now means they have to go back to eating meat again? Not just you. I've seen so many people think like this.
LedBoots likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#12 Old 01-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's more challenging than most people realize. If you buy packaged foods you're going to find out a heck more than you're prepared for!
It takes a good bit of time to feel as normal shopping, going out to eat, being offered food, and making food veg'n as you're used to now, but it does happen. You'll even find foods you didn't know about

Side note- the bags of mixed bean soup mix by Hurst? they have a 'ham' seasoning packet that's totaly vegan. Really smokey and salty, and well, hammy.

Oh yeah, pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start all over again!
#13 Old 01-08-2016, 04:23 PM
the ever sleepy

Winter is a poor time for new beginnings. Everything is dormant and grass will not begin to sprout with new life until Spring. We sow our seeds after the ice melts, not before.

That said, I think it's valiant and amazing you want to make this commitment. The most important thing you need to keep with you is that it's not an, "All or nothing," ordeal. If there's a slip, if there's a mistake, if there's a willful indulgence, it's okay. You have permission to forgive yourself and keep striving for your goals. The vegan and vegetarian police are not going to be on your tail, they're not going to shove guilt trips and whip your behind with an organic paddle of beach wood, and nobody, nobody is going to judge you for one mistake. This is all a learning experience, and nobody becomes vegan overnight. It takes them years of the right environment, the right time, and the right opportunity, the right understanding and the right sort of mental preparation--unintentional or not--for them to come to that point where they said, "Okay, I'm going to do this for real this time." And it probably took saying that 3 times to get to where they're at today.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't continue becoming vegan/vegetarian. If it's something you want for yourself, then mistakes or no, you'll eventually find your way there. I've had my share of mistakes in the past 3 or so months, and once my mistakes were made, I started over again. It's that simple. This is our own conscious decision to do something better for the world and to become better people. Mistake or no, every good choice creates a good impact.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#14 Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 PM

I have to say, thank you for all your responses.

Unfortunately, it happened again. As I was eating with my dad after work, I grabbed one of his fries and it had chicken salt. It didn't occur to me that it could've contained chicken salt - I have to start getting used to it now. I then ordered fries - I told the lady no chicken salt and while it didn't have any salt, one of the chips tasted like it did.

I think I should stop eating fries in general, they're doing me no good.

I feel so bad and wrong. How did I make the same mistake again?!

P.S. I'm not asking if I should go back to eating meat/chicken again simply because I had chicken salt on two occasions when I'm trying to go vegan/vegetarian, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right.

Last edited by pierrem; 01-08-2016 at 09:49 PM.
#15 Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

She probably used the same utensil on your fries that she did on others (without washing it), that's why it tasted like it had chicken salt.
Just make sure to remember from now on, and avoid getting French fries in places that you know use chicken salt. I had never even heard of it.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page