Why? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 181Likes

#31 Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone ever really listen to themselves eat? Now THAT's so weird!
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Does anyone ever really listen to themselves eat? Now THAT's so weird!
Yes! I always have to distract myself when eating a banana. The sound of anyone eating a banana is just gross. Not as gross as eating avocado, for that I have to leave the room
#33 Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Embracer of the Veggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
Do you need resuscitation??
No thank goodness I am back on the road to health. If no whey jose were to do another limerick I may never recover. Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
He did quorn spag bowl (for me and him) but why is it weird seeing a non veggie eat vegetarian food?
Do you mean that it's weird to see a non veggie eat fake meat? I'd take that as a sign that he loves you, because I personally can't stand it. From-scratch veggie food is sooo much more delish!
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.
#35 Old 01-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himejii View Post
Do you mean that it's weird to see a non veggie eat fake meat? I'd take that as a sign that he loves you, because I personally can't stand it. From-scratch veggie food is sooo much more delish!
That's something I can try to do is make my own veggie food. Would be cool
#36 Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himejii View Post
I agree with you personally, but my omni partner actually likes the processed veggie foods a lot. He likes Just Mayo better than Hellmans (though he likes my homemade from scratch nut based mayo too). He likes Beyond Meat chik&n, and Bocca burgers, and Daiya cheese. Because I am not into processed foods too much (but will eat them on occasion to challenge my eating disorder and take a break from cooking here and there), it is a compromise for me to buy the processed stuff and feed it to him. I'd rather he eat that than his animal products. He also likes some of my from scratch homemade food, but I eat very healthy and he is a junk food SAD person and it's hard to get him to eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I am used to appreciating the taste, texture, smells of whole foods in and of themselves without a ton of condiments and sugar and fat added, but he isn't used to it and doesn't care (sighs). The processed veggie foods are a way for him to move away from animal products, and he enjoys them and buys them on his own, not to please me.
no whey jose and Thalassa4 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#37 Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

He tried the quern sausages without me there... interesting.
#38 Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Veggie Recycler

Many items omnivores purchase are "accidentally vegan" and there are plenty of health conscious omnis, or flexitarians, who might incorporate tofu and mock meats into their diet to cut cholesterol or decrease their meat consumption, even if they aren't willing to give it up completely.

A person who eats this type of diet may eventually become a vegetarian, or maybe they only seek to decrease animal product intake with the occasional veggie burger.

I totally have had omni friends or roommates who ate tofurky with me on holidays. I don't know why you think it's weird.
LedBoots likes this.
#39 Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Many items omnivores purchase are "accidentally vegan" and there are plenty of health conscious omnis, or flexitarians, who might incorporate tofu and mock meats into their diet to cut cholesterol or decrease their meat consumption, even if they aren't willing to give it up completely.

A person who eats this type of diet may eventually become a vegetarian, or maybe they only seek to decrease animal product intake with the occasional veggie burger.

I totally have had omni friends or roommates who ate tofurky with me on holidays. I don't know why you think it's weird.
I'll get my dad to get some more quern for him self
Thalassa4 likes this.
#40 Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM

he could get some Quorn, as well, while he is at it.

#41 Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Banned

we'll see
#42 Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

In my early veg days I avoided food talk, but now I love to talk with people about cooking. I've developed a filter for when they say meat and insert my conversions for it. I may not have made any real vegetarians, but getting people to stop using it where it's not missed, and having meat free meals is a great thing. I think the majority of those I talk with have changed their habits. It's a big win!--Not weird.
#43 Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Hmmmmm... what's better? My dad quitting smoking or meat?
#44 Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

What's he been smoking?
#45 Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Witch of the South

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
I found Morningstar's Chik'n tastes exactly like meat. Had me questioning if it was meat or not. My boyfriend, brother, and mother all tried it (hardcore omnivores) and said it tasted like the chicken they eat.
David3 and no whey jose like this.
#46 Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Good for you Liquinn, keep it up!

Gardein's fish sticks (not sure their exact name) taste just like fish sticks. My omni hubby loves them, he even raves over the texture. Personally, I can't eat them because it is too close to the real thing and it freaks me out. Their chick'n taste similar to McDonald's nuggets, but we haven't found a good steak replacement. Yves ground round was the closest to ground beef for us so far.

Keep trying different brands and you will find replacements that are satisfying to your tastes. Ask a merchandiser for help. My Sobey's stocks Yves by the produce and Gardein on the OTHER end of the store by the pizza pops....and Amy's in a new section in the middle of the store...it took forever to find it all! Also, if possible, visit different stores. They may have different selections.

I am trying to wean off meat substitutes, but it is keeping my hubby interested in a meat-free diet. Also, deep down, it is kind-of fun to experiment with the products, hehe!
#47 Old 01-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Veggie Recycler

Meh, I don't know if you just don't know how to cook, but the more similarly you prepare certain recipes with the spices, gravies, sauces, condiments, etc...the more it will taste like a buffalo chicken sandwich or a turkey dinner. No, there is nothing I'm aware of though that tastes like beef, though gardein fishless filet are very similar to fish sticks, especially with a side of tartar sauce (cocktail, or malt vinegar if you prefer).

A lot of the "taste" of meat in your favorite dishes are highly dependent on how they are prepared. But no, it's not going to taste like animal fat or gristle, and as far as I know the closest thing that comes to beef is being designed in Norway or the Netherlands right now...however if you miss that flavor you might want to try portobello mushroom steaks with a savory gravy instead of meat crumble, which is better in spaghetti bolognese, or Shepards pie, something with a casserole style.

It doesn't taste like meat because it has no animal fat. If anything I'm impressed that most vegan products taste as similar as they do...if anything in some cases I find them better, less heavy or more refreshing, though eating a lot of oily veg foods gives a similar "feel" to eating fatty animal products. ..I think that's why some veg*ns say they won't eat fake meats...but I love to have something like that for a specific craving, not every day, but you know, a vegan Reuben with Daiya, fake "ham" (sham?) and vegan 1000 Island is just as rich and fatty tasting, even with the sour kraut to offset it. I think that's perfect for a "meat" craving.
#48 Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Rofl at "sham"
no whey jose likes this.
#49 Old 01-21-2016, 12:44 AM

I don't know if you guys tried Asian soy meats before, specifically from Taiwan. I was told they are pretty close to meat. I have never had meat before, but my friends that eats it says it does! If you live in LA, there's a bunch of Taiwanese vegetarian restaurants.
VeggieSince88 and LedBoots like this.
#50 Old 01-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Hmmmmm... what's better? My dad quitting smoking or meat?
Meat.
Naturebound likes this.
#51 Old 01-22-2016, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Meat.
Reasons?
#52 Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 AM
an irregular

because beyond second hand smoke, smoking cigarettes is predominantly just damaging to the individual smoking where as eating meat causes countless animal deaths everyday.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#53 Old 01-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Reasons?
So that pigs, chickens, cows, fish, lambs ducks and whatever other kinds of animals your father likes to eat don't have to die for his dinner.

And so the environment doesn't suffer from the huge amount of water needed to raise animals and the crops they eat. And the disgusting feces and blood from the slaughter poisons the environment.

Smoking just harms his health and those around him if he smokes around them. Meat eating harms his health AND kills all those animals.
no whey jose likes this.
#54 Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
So that pigs, chickens, cows, fish, lambs ducks and whatever other kinds of animals your father likes to eat don't have to die for his dinner.

And so the environment doesn't suffer from the huge amount of water needed to raise animals and the crops they eat. And the disgusting feces and blood from the slaughter poisons the environment.

Smoking just harms his health and those around him if he smokes around them. Meat eating harms his health AND kills all those animals.
Hmmmmm... true. I guess eating meat is worse than smoking IMO. We're having quorn sausages Sunday.
#55 Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
because beyond second hand smoke, smoking cigarettes is predominantly just damaging to the individual smoking where as eating meat causes countless animal deaths everyday.
Disagree, unless the individual is literally eating countless animals per day.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#56 Old 01-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Comparing eating meat to smoking cigarettes is comparing apples to oranges. Completely different.

How does the environment suffer from the production of tobacco? While I have not researched tobacco or cigarette production, it will likely involve the use of water for crops, wastewater and sludge from processing, as well as the use of the hundreds of chemical additives that are incorporated into cigarettes. These chemical additives came from somewhere, as well. All of this will have an impact.

Until we compare these two topics side-by-side with a life cycle analysis, not sure we can truly claim one is worse for the environment. One may be worse for a particular species over another?
LedBoots likes this.
#57 Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If your concern is for your dad's health, quitting smoking should be your first choice. That's assuming he's eating a halfway balanced omni diet - if he's eating mainly crap, then changing to a halfway decent veggie diet would be best.

If your question is based on the overall good, then going vegan should be your first choice, regardless of whether he's eating a balanced omni diet now or would be eating a crap vegan diet in the future.

However, there's no reason he couldn't do both, and that would certainly optimize the good not only for your dad, but generally.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#58 Old 01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Vegan since 1991

The United Nations' World Health Organization has published an illustrated fact sheet about the environmental impact of tobacco production: http://www.who.int/tobacco/en/atlas16.pdf

This fact sheet is interesting - the World Health Organization is straightforward in its criticism of the tobacco industry.
TailFin and no whey jose like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
#59 Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

True. I wonder what's easier... to quit smoking or meat? With meat he can eat quern. Smoking you have to give it up altogether.
#60 Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
True. I wonder what's easier... to quit smoking or meat? With meat he can eat quern. Smoking you have to give it up altogether.
Not necessarily. I've had luck with patches and my husband uses a vape pen.
LedBoots and TailFin like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 01-22-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page