Paying more for sweets. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

#1 Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Banned

Paying more for sweets.

Why should I pay more for sweets when a non vegetarian can get marshmallows cheaper (with gelatine)? This doesn't seem fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Banned

Why should I pay more? Seems unfair.
#3 Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 AM
No flesh since 99'

Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).
mackiesgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).
A friend of mine is bringing veggie marshmallows over Monday - it'll be nice to have them without any animal products in.
#5 Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM
an irregular

how many marshmallows are you eating that paying slightly more is that much of a concern? why did you start another thread about how expensive candy is half an hour after commenting on your other thread about how expensive candy is?

reading some of your threads, they seem to be starting to rub some forum members the wrong way with constantly posting these stream of consciousness threads, maybe just have one thread that you can post your on going questions, concerns, meal plans, etc in.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#6 Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

seems so unfair... ;/
#7 Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Banned

Why should I pay more? =[
#8 Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Beginner

We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.
Tom, LedBoots and skinnieminnie like this.
#9 Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

You have four posts in this thread in which you repeatedly complain that it's "not fair." Frankly, that makes you sound like a toddler.
Purp, Kiwibird08 and mackiesgirl like this.
#10 Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.
True. A meat eater can always eat vegetarian food if he/she wants.
#11 Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#12 Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.
Only one ingredient without?
#13 Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

if you eat eggs some marshmallow fluffs/creme are made with egg whites- no gelatin

As much as I like marshmallow I've never cared enough to try vegan ones.

Things like dark chocolate are worth paying more, not so much because they're vegan, but fair trade ethically sourced. It's the price they should cost.
Tom likes this.
#14 Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Only one ingredient without?
It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.
Tom, River, Purp and 2 others like this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#15 Old 01-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Banned

I'm getting some soon. Yay. It's going to be good.
#16 Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

If you think it is unfair to have to spend more money on plant based food, imagine how unfair it must be to the animals who spend a lifetime in cages, chained, beaten, starved, overstuffed, prodded, castrated, impregnated, tail docked, branded, and have to watch other animals just like them get slaughtered in the line just before the same thing happens to them.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 01-02-2016, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of cheap vegan sweets. How often do you really eat marshmallows? Just buy a bar of chocolate or some Starburst.
Purp and mackiesgirl like this.
#18 Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
There are plenty of cheap vegan sweets. How often do you really eat marshmallows? Just buy a bar of chocolate or some Starburst.
I eat them very rarely. And yeah, true.
#19 Old 01-02-2016, 04:55 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

@Liquinn , I thought you were a huge marshmallow fiend and googled vegan marshmallows for you! Why did you ask the question in the first place?
no whey jose likes this.
#20 Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 AM

I suddenly wanted marshmallows a few years ago, so I got some of Amazon...hardly ever got them in the past. I once got some in the 90s and I looked on the ingredients and was surprised at the beef gelatine in the...I just had this idea that in this modern age they would use synthetic ingredients....I gave them to my friend.

#21 Old 01-02-2016, 07:03 AM
Banned

I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian.
#22 Old 01-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian.
They do not taste exactly the same as the marshmallows you are used to. The texture is a little different, just so you know. They are still sweet white mushy lumps of sugar for you though.
#23 Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Ankle Biter

We pay more for a lot of things. If you order something in a restaurant and ask them to leave out the cheese and chicken, you'll still pay the same amount.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#24 Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 AM
#25 Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 AM
Banned

I have veggie marshmallows now and it's nice to be able to have them
#26 Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.
River likes this.
#27 Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.
Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?
#28 Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?
I don't know about Spain and the marshmallow situation there. I am from the US, and veg marshmallows are more expensive than the kind with animal parts.

I thought you only ate marshmallows occasionally.

I really hope you aren't trolling. A lot of nice people are trying to help you learn, but you just keep talking about candy. If you live on veg candy, you will get sick. You need to eat something with some nutrition. Every day.
Tom, Blue Gingham and no whey jose like this.
#29 Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.
Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#30 Old 01-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.
I think there's more ingredients in the vegan ones than the non-vegan ones. =]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page