VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Paying more for sweets. (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/198489-paying-more-sweets.html)

Liquinn 12-30-2015 08:57 AM

Paying more for sweets.
 
Why should I pay more for sweets when a non vegetarian can get marshmallows cheaper (with gelatine)? This doesn't seem fair.

Liquinn 12-30-2015 09:10 AM

Why should I pay more? :( Seems unfair.

Kiwibird08 12-30-2015 09:26 AM

Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).

Liquinn 12-30-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 (Post 3860785)
Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).

A friend of mine is bringing veggie marshmallows over Monday - it'll be nice to have them without any animal products in. :)

Muttley 12-30-2015 09:36 AM

how many marshmallows are you eating that paying slightly more is that much of a concern? why did you start another thread about how expensive candy is half an hour after commenting on your other thread about how expensive candy is?

reading some of your threads, they seem to be starting to rub some forum members the wrong way with constantly posting these stream of consciousness threads, maybe just have one thread that you can post your on going questions, concerns, meal plans, etc in.

Liquinn 12-30-2015 09:43 AM

seems so unfair... ;/

Liquinn 12-30-2015 09:48 AM

Why should I pay more? =[

Blue Gingham 12-30-2015 11:12 AM

We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.

Beautiful Joe 12-30-2015 11:17 AM

You have four posts in this thread in which you repeatedly complain that it's "not fair." Frankly, that makes you sound like a toddler.

Liquinn 12-30-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Gingham (Post 3860897)
We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.

True. A meat eater can always eat vegetarian food if he/she wants.

River 12-30-2015 12:03 PM

Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.

Liquinn 12-30-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River (Post 3860993)
Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.

Only one ingredient without?

silva 12-30-2015 03:46 PM

if you eat eggs some marshmallow fluffs/creme are made with egg whites- no gelatin

As much as I like marshmallow I've never cared enough to try vegan ones.

Things like dark chocolate are worth paying more, not so much because they're vegan, but fair trade ethically sourced. It's the price they should cost.

Mojo 01-01-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn (Post 3861001)
Only one ingredient without?

It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.

Liquinn 01-01-2016 02:13 PM

I'm getting some soon. Yay. It's going to be good. :D

Naturebound 01-01-2016 08:49 PM

If you think it is unfair to have to spend more money on plant based food, imagine how unfair it must be to the animals who spend a lifetime in cages, chained, beaten, starved, overstuffed, prodded, castrated, impregnated, tail docked, branded, and have to watch other animals just like them get slaughtered in the line just before the same thing happens to them.

no whey jose 01-02-2016 01:05 AM

There are plenty of cheap vegan sweets. How often do you really eat marshmallows? Just buy a bar of chocolate or some Starburst.

Liquinn 01-02-2016 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3864161)
There are plenty of cheap vegan sweets. How often do you really eat marshmallows? Just buy a bar of chocolate or some Starburst.

I eat them very rarely. And yeah, true.

LedBoots 01-02-2016 04:55 AM

@Liquinn , I thought you were a huge marshmallow fiend and googled vegan marshmallows for you! Why did you ask the question in the first place?

Blobbenstein 01-02-2016 05:56 AM

I suddenly wanted marshmallows a few years ago, so I got some of Amazon...hardly ever got them in the past. I once got some in the 90s and I looked on the ingredients and was surprised at the beef gelatine in the...I just had this idea that in this modern age they would use synthetic ingredients....I gave them to my friend.

Liquinn 01-02-2016 07:03 AM

I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian. :)

LedBoots 01-02-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn (Post 3864321)
I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian. :)

They do not taste exactly the same as the marshmallows you are used to. The texture is a little different, just so you know. They are still sweet white mushy lumps of sugar for you though.

Poppy 01-02-2016 08:26 PM

We pay more for a lot of things. If you order something in a restaurant and ask them to leave out the cheese and chicken, you'll still pay the same amount.

Liquinn 01-04-2016 05:50 AM


Liquinn 01-04-2016 07:18 AM

I have veggie marshmallows now and it's nice to be able to have them :)

LedBoots 01-04-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn (Post 3866201)

Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.

Liquinn 01-04-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3866249)
Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.

Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?

LedBoots 01-04-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn (Post 3866257)
Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?

I don't know about Spain and the marshmallow situation there. I am from the US, and veg marshmallows are more expensive than the kind with animal parts.

I thought you only ate marshmallows occasionally.

I really hope you aren't trolling. A lot of nice people are trying to help you learn, but you just keep talking about candy. If you live on veg candy, you will get sick. You need to eat something with some nutrition. Every day.

Tom 01-04-2016 02:38 PM

Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 3863505)
It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.

Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.

Liquinn 01-04-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 3866785)
Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.

I think there's more ingredients in the vegan ones than the non-vegan ones. =]


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.