VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying more for sweets.

6K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  LedBoots 
#1 ·
Why should I pay more for sweets when a non vegetarian can get marshmallows cheaper (with gelatine)? This doesn't seem fair.

#74 ·
Huh?! I do! Well, not like "oh, I MUST have some marshmallows...for the first time in 28 years...or something horrible will happen!" :D

But I REALLY LIKED marshmallows, especially toasted. Brownish-black and crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside...yummy!

(I tried a few vegan/vegetarian marshmallows many years ago, but they were awful compared to the real thing.)

#54 ·
Dr. Oetker Baking Hi, they would be vegetarian. There are no animal products contained in Vege-Gel but it is produced on a line which also handles products containing milk and eggs, so there a risk of cross contamination which makes it unsuitable for vegans. Hope this helps

They said that. Damn.

#55 ·
Are you vegan now?

Also, to me, that doesn't make something non-vegan.

#58 ·
@Liquinn

"Products suitable for vegans may not be suitable for those living with allergies. Vegans avoid using non-human animals. Those living with severe allergies must avoid all traces of the allergens which affect them. These are very different issues.

Currently, allergens that must be labelled on foods and come from animals include crustaceans, fish, cow's milk, hen's eggs and molluscs. Companies must work out whether the foods they produce could contain any traces of the known allergens. If there is an unavoidable risk, the company should include a 'may contain…' label about the allergen."

https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/allergen-labelling

#63 ·
Unless the product is certified vegan, you can't be 100% sure that there isn't a trace of something non-vegan in it. That's something we just have to accept. Does the vegan you plan to entice with your marshmallows have severe allergies to any of the ingredients that may have remotely possibly come into contact with the vegetarian gel?

Perhaps you should google on vegan candies and get something that is made by a vegan company so trace ingredients aren't an issue.

#81 ·
That's funny--I was just thinking about that chick pea goop myself! I keep meaning to look into it more, or experiment with it, or something, but so far nothing's actually come of it. I remember when I first read about it (here on VB, I believe) I was shocked and amazed, but in a good way. :D Seems like there's so much potential there.

#83 ·
Sweet and Sara marshmallows are really good! And I was surprised to see Dandies in Whole Foods...they must be new and improved because they are ten times better than when I first had them, years ago. My son and hubby have been using them in their hot cocoa and they don't even realize that they are vegan. Dandies are less expensive than Sweet and Sara, too. Big plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#86 ·
Sweet and Sara marshmallows are really good! And I was surprised to see Dandies in Whole Foods...they must be new and improved because they are ten times better than when I first had them, years ago. My son and hubby have been using them in their hot cocoa and they don't even realize that they are vegan. Dandies are less expensive than Sweet and Sara, too. Big plus!
I've never heard of Dandies, and I almost never shop at Whole Foods, but those might be worth a try! :) (I still think it's funny that until reading this thread I hadn't thought about marshmallows in eons!)

We get a case of norovirus every year at one of the assisted living facilities in the area. Poor seniors.
Oh, no. That must be really bad in seniors--and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.