Paying more for sweets. - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 01-15-2016, 05:20 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Hmmmmm.... how can I be 100% sure?
100% sure of what?

Basically if the actual ingredients listed are vegan (and there's no animal testing) then it's considered vegan irrespective of the 'May contain' warning.

If you eat wheat-based products then you are already consuming small amounts of insects that are in the flour. They don't have to label that as a 'may contain' though as eating insects doesn't generally cause anaphalaxis.

If you restrict your foods to the extent you won't eat anything labeled 'may contain' then you are setting yourself up for a difficult time.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
QuietVegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
100% sure of what?

Basically if the actual ingredients listed are vegan (and there's no animal testing) then it's considered vegan irrespective of the 'May contain' warning.

If you eat wheat-based products then you are already consuming small amounts of insects that are in the flour. They don't have to label that as a 'may contain' though as eating insects doesn't generally cause anaphalaxis.

If you restrict your foods to the extent you won't eat anything labeled 'may contain' then you are setting yourself up for a difficult time.
If I'm vegetarian why do I need to eat vegan marshmallows? I would prefer to. The veggie gel is vegetarian but I dunno if it's vegan (ok). I would prefer that, though. (So anyone can eat it) but I can't be 100% sure it's vegan ok.

Last edited by Liquinn; 01-15-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Liquinn is offline  
#63 Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Unless the product is certified vegan, you can't be 100% sure that there isn't a trace of something non-vegan in it. That's something we just have to accept. Does the vegan you plan to entice with your marshmallows have severe allergies to any of the ingredients that may have remotely possibly come into contact with the vegetarian gel?

Perhaps you should google on vegan candies and get something that is made by a vegan company so trace ingredients aren't an issue.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#64 Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Unless the product is certified vegan, you can't be 100% sure that there isn't a trace of something non-vegan in it. That's something we just have to accept. Does the vegan you plan to entice with your marshmallows have severe allergies to any of the ingredients that may have remotely possibly come into contact with the vegetarian gel?

Perhaps you should google on vegan candies and get something that is made by a vegan company so trace ingredients aren't an issue.
It's still vegetarian though. So as a veggie I'd be able to eat them - I would prefer them to be vegan, though.
Liquinn is offline  
#65 Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
It's still vegetarian though. So as a veggie I'd be able to eat them - I would prefer them to be vegan, though.
Yes, you've said that over and over and over and over. But unless you are willing to accept the remote possibility of trace ingredients, you cannot be 100% sure. Rather than dwell on marshmallows, perhaps you should consider other options if you want to be 100% sure. If you don't want to do that, please enjoy your remotely possibly not-vegan marshmallows and move on.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#66 Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Yes, you've said that over and over and over and over. But unless you are willing to accept the remote possibility of trace ingredients, you cannot be 100% sure. Rather than dwell on marshmallows, perhaps you should consider other options if you want to be 100% sure. If you don't want to do that, please enjoy your remotely possibly not-vegan marshmallows and move on.
I can eat them as they're vegetarian. I have vegan bought ones anyway.
Liquinn is offline  
#67 Old 01-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
What the **** is it with the marshmallows fixation?!
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#68 Old 01-15-2016, 08:40 PM
Beginner
 
jocelyn3113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
What the **** is it with the marshmallows fixation?!
Troll makes nonsensical post we comment on post thus feeding troll and enabling posting to continue. It's kind of like we have a pet troll on this forum.
jocelyn3113 is offline  
#69 Old 01-16-2016, 02:18 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Eat some fresh fruit and veggies. No labels to stress over. Jeesh.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 01-16-2016 at 02:23 AM. Reason: I see that everyone else already answered!
LedBoots is offline  
#70 Old 01-16-2016, 02:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
No. I prefer to have my marshmallows vegan as well.
Why, are you going to share with a vegan?
LedBoots is offline  
#71 Old 01-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Dr. Oetker Baking Hi, they would be vegetarian. There are no animal products contained in Vege-Gel but it is produced on a line which also handles products containing milk and eggs, so there a risk of cross contamination which makes it unsuitable for vegans. Hope this helps

They said that. Damn.
Quite frankly, many vegans would also be fine with these as there are risks for cross contamination everywhere> It's not having a peanut allergy where you have a reaction just being near animal products. Lines are cleaned between products
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
silva is offline  
#72 Old 01-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
What the **** is it with the marshmallows fixation?!
😂😂😂
LedBoots likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#73 Old 01-17-2016, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Quite frankly, many vegans would also be fine with these as there are risks for cross contamination everywhere> It's not having a peanut allergy where you have a reaction just being near animal products. Lines are cleaned between products
I find it annoying too that some people think you have to avoid anything that came remotely close to animal products. In reality this is nearly impossible. Even 99% of the produce in farmers markets and grocery stores comes from fields where animal manure was used. And many products don't even bother to label whether their food came into contact with some other product, unless it is a specific allergen. Veganism really isn't about total purity. it's about rejecting the exploitation of sentient beings for food, entertainment, fashion, etc. There are not enough all vegan stores and products...and veganic gardens...at this point to completely avoid the remote possibility of cross contamination or avoiding any company or warehous that sells nonvegan stuff.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#74 Old 01-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Nobody cares about marshmallows anymore.
Huh?! I do! Well, not like "oh, I MUST have some marshmallows...for the first time in 28 years...or something horrible will happen!"

But I REALLY LIKED marshmallows, especially toasted. Brownish-black and crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside...yummy!

(I tried a few vegan/vegetarian marshmallows many years ago, but they were awful compared to the real thing.)
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#75 Old 01-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Huh?! I do! Well, not like "oh, I MUST have some marshmallows...for the first time in 28 years...or something horrible will happen!"

But I REALLY LIKED marshmallows, especially toasted. Brownish-black and crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside...yummy!

(I tried a few vegan/vegetarian marshmallows many years ago, but they were awful compared to the real thing.)
I think no whey jose's comment was based on the OP having made about half a dozen threads about marshmallows within the course of a couple of days.
VeggieSince88 likes this.
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#76 Old 01-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Huh?! I do! Well, not like "oh, I MUST have some marshmallows...for the first time in 28 years...or something horrible will happen!"

But I REALLY LIKED marshmallows, especially toasted. Brownish-black and crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside...yummy!

(I tried a few vegan/vegetarian marshmallows many years ago, but they were awful compared to the real thing.)
Don't get me wrong, I love marshmallows! It's just that we were getting a LOT of threads about marshmallows.

Have you tried Sweet and Sara?
VeggieSince88 likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#77 Old 01-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I think no whey jose's comment was based on the OP having made about half a dozen threads about marshmallows within the course of a couple of days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love marshmallows! It's just that we were getting a LOT of threads about marshmallows.
Ah, now it makes better sense! (I'd taken a break from the boards--not just VB, but everywhere--for a while due to being really sick with that awful norovirus GI bug. Ugh. So I'm catching up now.)

Quote:
Have you tried Sweet and Sara?
Honestly, I cannot say yes or no, as it's been more than 10 years since I tried any, and I really don't remember which brands they were.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#78 Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Ah, now it makes better sense! (I'd taken a break from the boards--not just VB, but everywhere--for a while due to being really sick with that awful norovirus GI bug. Ugh. So I'm catching up now.)



Honestly, I cannot say yes or no, as it's been more than 10 years since I tried any, and I really don't remember which brands they were.
Glad you're feeling better!

Here's a link to Sweet and Sara: http://sweetandsara.com

I highly recommend the s'mores.
VeggieSince88 likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#79 Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Glad you're feeling better!
Thanks. Me too! It was not fun. Let's just say it involved a lot of running to the bathroom...and both ends were involved.

Quote:
Here's a link to Sweet and Sara: http://sweetandsara.com

I highly recommend the s'mores.
Thanks for that info. I may give them a try. It's funny, though, how we adapt to not having certain things available any more. Until reading this thread, I really can't recall the last time I even THOUGHT about marshmallows!
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#80 Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
I didn't care for marshmallows much, but I loved marshmallow creme! Just licking a spoon, or mixing in cocoa.
The creme has egg whites and I never thought about making it another way. Like maybe the chickpea goop water? Aqua faba?
VeggieSince88 likes this.
silva is offline  
#81 Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I didn't care for marshmallows much, but I loved marshmallow creme! Just licking a spoon, or mixing in cocoa.
The creme has egg whites and I never thought about making it another way. Like maybe the chickpea goop water? Aqua faba?
That's funny--I was just thinking about that chick pea goop myself! I keep meaning to look into it more, or experiment with it, or something, but so far nothing's actually come of it. I remember when I first read about it (here on VB, I believe) I was shocked and amazed, but in a good way. Seems like there's so much potential there.
silva likes this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#82 Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Ah, now it makes better sense! (I'd taken a break from the boards--not just VB, but everywhere--for a while due to being really sick with that awful norovirus GI bug. Ugh. So I'm catching up now.)



Honestly, I cannot say yes or no, as it's been more than 10 years since I tried any, and I really don't remember which brands they were.
Oh no, that's a bad virus. Did you eat at Chipotle? I heard they had a few cases traced to there. In California I think.

Or maybe that was e. coli come to think of it lol. But norovirus is horrible and long lasting. Are you still dehydrated?
LedBoots is offline  
#83 Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Sweet and Sara marshmallows are really good! And I was surprised to see Dandies in Whole Foods...they must be new and improved because they are ten times better than when I first had them, years ago. My son and hubby have been using them in their hot cocoa and they don't even realize that they are vegan. Dandies are less expensive than Sweet and Sara, too. Big plus!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karenlovessnow is offline  
#84 Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
We get a case of norovirus every year at one of the assisted living facilities in the area. Poor seniors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no whey jose likes this.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#85 Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Oh no, that's a bad virus. Did you eat at Chipotle? I heard they had a few cases traced to there. In California I think.

Or maybe that was e. coli come to think of it lol.
No, I've never eaten at Chipotle, so I didn't get it there. Offhand, I couldn't recall which problem they had, but a quick search shows that it was both E coli and norovirus--and those followed a Salmonella outbreak.

Quote:
But norovirus is horrible and long lasting. Are you still dehydrated?
After the initial 6 days when I couldn't eat anything, it took several WEEKS to feel 'normal' again, and the dehydration was a really bad part of it. Every time I stood up I felt faint... The worst thing was that I KNEW I was horribly dehydrated and that I needed to get some liquid down, but everything I tried to drink, even water, ended up coming back up. Once the nausea and vomiting stopped, I felt like I could drink an entire ocean! (well, except for the salt water, you know. )

I'm THRILLED to be feeling better!
LedBoots likes this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#86 Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
Sweet and Sara marshmallows are really good! And I was surprised to see Dandies in Whole Foods...they must be new and improved because they are ten times better than when I first had them, years ago. My son and hubby have been using them in their hot cocoa and they don't even realize that they are vegan. Dandies are less expensive than Sweet and Sara, too. Big plus!
I've never heard of Dandies, and I almost never shop at Whole Foods, but those might be worth a try! (I still think it's funny that until reading this thread I hadn't thought about marshmallows in eons!)

Quote:
We get a case of norovirus every year at one of the assisted living facilities in the area. Poor seniors.
Oh, no. That must be really bad in seniors--and dangerous.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#87 Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Administrator
 
CricketVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 563
Merged similar threads.
CricketVS is offline  
#88 Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Paying more is worth it when health is involved.
Fruitemma is offline  
#89 Old 01-28-2016, 05:07 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  38.2 KB
no whey jose likes this.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#90 Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
The veggie haribo doesn't taste as good...
Liquinn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off