I wish we had veg and vegan political leaders - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

#1 Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 AM

I wish we had veg and vegan political leaders

Maybe if this where the case we wouldn't have such a vast assortment of problems idk just thinking out loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 AM
Veggie Recycler

Hitler was a vegetarian. There were still problems. He was actually a very warm, charming man who had strong ethics. It's just that one of his primary ethics was to protect Germany from anything he saw as imperfect or degrading (like Jewish people or homosexuals).

I'm not making a troll argument, I'm being totally serious. A person can have strong ethics and still cause. ..problems.
#3 Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Hitler was a vegetarian. There were still problems. He was actually a very warm, charming man who had strong ethics. It's just that one of his primary ethics was to protect Germany from anything he saw as imperfect or degrading (like Jewish people or homosexuals).

I'm not making a troll argument, I'm being totally serious. A person can have strong ethics and still cause. ..problems.
That's a myth that's been disproved in so many ways. why do we keep it up?
http://www.naturalnews.com/025163_Hi...tarianism.html

We have Dennis Kucinich and Betty Sutton. We're all from Ohio which is why I know
Purp and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-29-2015, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Sadly vegetarian politicians aren't a guarantee of better politics ...
TailFin likes this.
#5 Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
That's a myth that's been disproved in so many ways. why do we keep it up?
http://www.naturalnews.com/025163_Hi...tarianism.html

We have Dennis Kucinich and Betty Sutton. We're all from Ohio which is why I know
Lol....he became a vegetarian late in life. I'm all for vegetarianism, but I think it's pathetic when people try to argue that people who did bad things in history are never Christian, atheist, vegetarian, or siamese twins (fill in your in groups of choice right here)...for example, some atheists believe they can win arguments about atheism by showing that Hitler happened to be baptized Catholic as a child, never noting that horrid atheist genocidal dictators like Mao or Pol Pot grew up a continent away from most Catholics.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, can be a vegetarian. It doesn't require superior character, particularly in places where it's cultural like India. People can have very strong ethics and still make mistakes or be crazy.

I do think vegans are more distinct, simply because of the cultural advancement it requires at this point in time...though in the future it may become more normative due to environmental circumstances. So perhaps a vegan leader would have very specific ethics. But still, a person can have a mixture of ethics.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not saying he wasn't veg because I don't to him to be, I'm saying that because of the vast statistics refuting that to his very end.
People love to bring it up and I'm sure there are better examples who actually were veg'n if they looked
#7 Old 12-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Somewhat off topic ... but I thought Hitler had very bad IBS towards the end of his life? He therefore reduced the variety of foods that he ate and avoided a lot of meat as being too aggravating. He was however not (from what I have read) a vegetarian in the traditional sense (eliminating meat and meat products for ethical reasons).
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#8 Old 12-29-2015, 03:50 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
I'm not saying he wasn't veg because I don't to him to be, I'm saying that because of the vast statistics refuting that to his very end.
People love to bring it up and I'm sure there are better examples who actually were veg'n if they looked
I'm not saying that you are necessarily, but the tone of the writer of the article had a "so there" tone to it, he threw the atheism thing in there as well.

The research conducted by that author hinged upon the need to disprove Hitler was vegetarian, rather than to report facts, it seems. And no Hitler wasn't a vegetarian until 1936.

This book actually contains monologues and dialogue about his eating habits in the 1940s.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-Table-.../dp/1929631057
#9 Old 12-29-2015, 04:09 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
Somewhat off topic ... but I thought Hitler had very bad IBS towards the end of his life? He therefore reduced the variety of foods that he ate and avoided a lot of meat as being too aggravating. He was however not (from what I have read) a vegetarian in the traditional sense (eliminating meat and meat products for ethical reasons).
Being vegetarian for health reasons is still being a vegetarian. J.H. Kellogg, the creator of Kelloggs Corn Flakes, started out as a 7th Day Adventist, but the church kicked him out for having what they considered heretical views, and as far as I can tell, his insistence on not only his own vegetarianism but also the vegetarianism of others revolved primarily around health, and even his ethical reasons, I'm not sure they had much or anything to do with animal rights.

I honestly don't care why people are vegetarian, I'm more concerned with the end result. Even if it's a by product of what their reasons were. Because you know some celebrities just do it for vanity or something, like Anne Hathaway good lord...she was a really judgey,holier than thou vegan...who suddenly went paleo, not even lacto ovo, but paleo for effing sake.
#10 Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt that OP was suggesting that the world would be a better place if more politicians had irritable bowels. The implication of the statement "Hitler was a vegetarian" in this context is that Hitler was a vegetarian for ethical reasons. It's meant to highlight a perceived disparity between his compassion for animals and his hatred of Jewish people. Otherwise, the statement has no more weight than "Hitler was a brunette."
leedsveg and ShadowKat like this.
#11 Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

In Holland we have Diederik Samsom, he is vegetarian and was a member of Greenpreace.
He is head of the PvdA (something like a Labour Party) in Holland.
But he isn't saying that our land could be saved by vegetarianism.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diederik_Samsom
no whey jose likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#12 Old 12-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hitler was not a vegetarian, this was a myth used by his propagandists to make him appear more peaceful, one of his biographers has said that his favorite food was Bavarian sausages. It is also said that he tried to adopt a vegetarian diet because it made his flatulence problem better but he wasn't really a vegetarian:

#13 Old 12-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

In the UK we have opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn who is a vegetarian and his Shadow farming minister Kerry McKarthy who is a vegan and who has famously upset the right wing press by asserting that meat eaters should be treated like smokers (ie: as people with recognised bad health habits).
Shallot and no whey jose like this.
#14 Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Sadly vegetarian politicians aren't a guarantee of better politics ...
We've just been let down so much that there's no hope n we as care'ers of the earth would have a better impact in my opinion
#15 Old 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
In the UK we have opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn who is a vegetarian and his Shadow farming minister Kerry McKarthy who is a vegan and who has famously upset the right wing press by asserting that meat eaters should be treated like smokers (ie: as people with recognised bad health habits).
That's why uk is in a higher level in ethics because those r positive movements in my opinion
#16 Old 12-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I like Corbyn. He reminds me of Bernie Sanders.
#17 Old 12-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Cory Booker -U.S. Senate (D-NJ)
Ben Carson -Neurosurgeon and Presidential candidate (R)

are both vegetarians.
LedBoots likes this.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#18 Old 12-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post

are both vegetarians.
Cory Booker was the other one I couldn't think of--but NOT Ben Carson! I looked him up when Trump made the kerfluffle over him being 7th day Adventist and found plenty on a google search that he's vegetarian. I wondered how could a leading candidate hide being vegetarian? I'd heard nothing besides his religious affliations, and that only held a modest impact on whether he adhered to dietary restritions. I remembered the rumors about Obama being veg, and they weren't flattering.
Well Ben Carson isn't vegetarian, but appartantly his wife is/was.
He's a clear take on it-
http://www.agri-pulse.com/Ben-Carson...s-08242015.asp
#19 Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Cory Booker was the other one I couldn't think of--but NOT Ben Carson! I looked him up when Trump made the kerfluffle over him being 7th day Adventist and found plenty on a google search that he's vegetarian. I wondered how could a leading candidate hide being vegetarian? I'd heard nothing besides his religious affliations, and that only held a modest impact on whether he adhered to dietary restritions. I remembered the rumors about Obama being veg, and they weren't flattering.
Well Ben Carson isn't vegetarian, but appartantly his wife is/was.
He's a clear take on it-
http://www.agri-pulse.com/Ben-Carson...s-08242015.asp
Agreed, apparently there are conflicting reports about Carson.

I am sure his handlers have informed him that a significant number of voters do not have a favorable view of vegetarians. Is it possible Carson has had to say he eats meat so that republican primary voters won't have the chance to view him unfavorably as a vegetarian?

If he grew up as a 7th Day Adventist he is certainly very familiar with vegetarian diets. Also, the article you have linked suggests he is sympathetic to or even supportive of vegetarianism.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
#20 Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

And of course we have the Party For The Animals in our government. All their meetings are vegetal (no milk, cheese or eggs too).

http://www.partyfortheanimals.nl/

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#21 Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

I found an old article from vegetairian times which was clear Carson had taken a veg diet seriously in the 90's.
Just a reminder that diet doesn't mean much when looking for a leader
#22 Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I found an old article from vegetairian times which was clear Carson had taken a veg diet seriously in the 90's.
This. Carson is ridiculous. Did you see the photos of his house? It's basically a shrine to himself.
#23 Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I like Corbyn. He reminds me of Bernie Sanders.
Yeah - me too. I think I'll still vote Green though ...

Though my borough now has the tories in charge so next local election I may end up voting tactically (not my preferred option but needs must).
no whey jose likes this.
#24 Old 12-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
This. Carson is ridiculous. Did you see the photos of his house? It's basically a shrine to himself.
You should see Trump's house.
no whey jose likes this.

#25 Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
Maybe if this where the case we wouldn't have such a vast assortment of problems idk just thinking out loud
I don't know if you are in the U.S., but here ya go: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?catId=1&pageId=2568

Cory Booker is also vegan, last i was aware.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#26 Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Amen.

ETA: Carson is also a timely reminder that someone can be gifted in a particular profession, yet be a total idiot in many other aspects.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by Beautiful Joe; 12-30-2015 at 12:37 PM.
#27 Old 12-31-2015, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah - me too. I think I'll still vote Green though ...

Though my borough now has the tories in charge so next local election I may end up voting tactically (not my preferred option but needs must).
My immigration status is such that I can't yet vote in UK elections, but in planning for the future I'm already torn between voting with my heart (green) or voting tactically (labour).
Purp and TailFin like this.
#28 Old 12-31-2015, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My immigration status is such that I can't yet vote in UK elections, but in planning for the future I'm already torn between voting with my heart (green) or voting tactically (labour).
It depends a bit on where you live. I'm lucky we have some Green councillors in my area but they don't have enough of the 'market share' to make up a functioning council. My ward is Lib Dem so I'll have to make a decision between them and the Labour party to ensure that the Tories stay out. Le sigh - I wish we could vote on more stuff on a case by case basis ...
no whey jose likes this.
#29 Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post

are both vegetarians.
Senator Cory Booker follows a vegan diet these days. He has been vegetarian since 1992, but I read a 2014 article where he talked about how he'd have an egg on the road and find himself more and more uncomfortable with its origin story. He said, "I wasn't living my truth."

About a month ago he had to host lunch for the Congressional Black Caucus (reps and senators), and lunch was a lavish vegan buffet. One of the guests said "We'll never ask you to provide lunch again," but I think she was the only one who complained to his face. His point was about healthy eating, that black Americans have higher incidence of diabetes, cancer and heart disease than whites and deserve reliable information about the role of food.

Booker is also on every short list being leaked to the press for Hillary Clinton's running mate. He endorsed her very early in the race.
Naturebound and Lipps like this.
#30 Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

In Portugal they have a veg political party. So far, they've been able to put an end to euthanasia in animal shelters, and get veterinary bills to be accepted for income taxes.
They also tried to put an end to bullfighting events, and especially minors working in those events, but unfortunately the bill didn't pass. And of course, they are also trying to get more schools to have vegan options.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page