Questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By Lokie
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Liquinn
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Questions

Could a vegetarian buy a pizza with peporoni on it - and take it off and put the meat in the bin and still eat the pizza? Or would he/she have to buy non-meat ones? I think the latter.

Could a vegetarian eat sweets which use 1 or 2 animal products in and still be vegetarian? Does it depend on how strict the person is?

Thank you all.
Liquinn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
It probably depends on the individual. Personally, I couldn't "just pick the meat off" and I avoid gelatin in sweets. I consider gelatin unsuitable for vegetarians (not just vegans) but I've known people who disagree.
no whey jose is offline  
#3 Old 12-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
odizzido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 727
depends what your objective is. If your objective is to simply not eat meat then buying meat and throwing it away will accomplish that goal. If your objective is to not torture animals then buying meat(or any other animal product) would not accomplish that goal.

If you're asking for the definition of a vegetarian I cannot help you. That's for each person to decide.
LedBoots likes this.
odizzido is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Hmmmmm... but my friend wears leather shoes yet she doesn't eat meat. Is this acceptable?
Liquinn is offline  
#5 Old 12-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
I guess eating something (sweets) with gelatin is different to eating chicken, pork, lamb etc. But is it really?
Liquinn is offline  
#6 Old 12-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: U.S. Michigan
Posts: 2
Ah the meat pizza issue. This has always been an argument that came up with other parents over both my boys that where brought up vegetarian. I would always get told they can just "pick" the meat off. Then I would have to try and explain that my one son does not have the enzyme that breaks down animal protein and that the fat and juices from the meat are left behind when the meat is picked off. He and myself become very ill after eating something that. Thats like saying something made with beef or chicken stock is vegetarian because there are no pieces of the meat in it. Another tough thing that non-veggies don't get. Even after my son ended up in the hospital because at a school event they made vegetable soup. I found out later one of the helping parents decided that, even knowing my son could not have anything with meat products, added beef stock to the soup because the kids wouldn't eat it if they could taste the vegetables and my son wouldn't know the difference.

So to me a big NO its not a vegetarian pizza if you take the meat off a pizza that has it already on it.
no whey jose likes this.
Lokie is offline  
#7 Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
I agree. But why does my friend who won't eat meat wear leather shoes? Is this OK?
Liquinn is offline  
#8 Old 12-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
odizzido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
That's for each person to decide.
'''
odizzido is offline  
#9 Old 12-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
I agree. But why does my friend who won't eat meat wear leather shoes? Is this OK?
Many vegetarians wear leather. It's neither ok nor not ok, it's what that person chooses to do. Vegans do not wear leather, unless they are new vegans who plan to replace the leather in their closets when they can.
no whey jose likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#10 Old 12-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Many vegetarians wear leather. It's neither ok nor not ok, it's what that person chooses to do. Vegans do not wear leather, unless they are new vegans who plan to replace the leather in their closets when they can.
Why did I feel OK with wearing leather shoes and having a leather sofa as furniture but I don't feel ok with eating meat?

Last edited by Liquinn; 12-22-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Liquinn is offline  
#11 Old 12-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Why did I feel OK with wearing leather shows and having a leather sofa as furniture but I don't feel ok with eating meat?
You're the only one who can answer that. We couldn't possibly know.
no whey jose is offline  
#12 Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
You're the only one who can answer that. We couldn't possibly know.
Weird how a vegetarian could own leather shoes, furniture but not eat meat. I guess.
Liquinn is offline  
#13 Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Is this all vegetarian?

21st december
dinner: egg sandwhiches
Tea: pasty and beans cheese

22nd december
dinner: tomato soup
tea: cheese and onion pasty chips

3:45-4:15pm chips
Pasty: 4pm-4:15pm

Red Sauce and salt

23rd december
dinner: pasty, beans and mash beans salt
tea: egg sandwhiches

24th december
dinner: tomato/cheese sandwhiches
tea: mushroom soup
Liquinn is offline  
#14 Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Why did I feel OK with wearing leather shows and having a leather sofa as furniture but I don't feel ok with eating meat?
"Did"... Do you still now?
Maybe it's because you're still in the dark about how exactly leather is made. Maybe it's because you feel more disgusted with putting an animal body part in your mouth than with sitting on animal skin.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge


Last edited by jessandreia; 12-22-2015 at 12:48 PM.
jessandreia is offline  
#15 Old 12-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
"Did"... Do you still now?
Maybe it's because you're still in the dark about how exactly leather is made. Maybe it's because you feel more disgusted with putting an animal body part on your mouth than with sitting on animal skin.
My dad bought me both... and not really. I guess it's better than eating meat.

Last edited by Liquinn; 12-22-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Liquinn is offline  
#16 Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Oh and why does my dad love meat and I don't want to eat it anymore? I saw ham downstairs and didn't want to eat it.
Liquinn is offline  
#17 Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Weird how a vegetarian could own leather shoes, furniture but not eat meat. I guess.
Once leather is done it can last a very, very long time.
While I'm against buying any new leather product, I can understand continuing to use what you already own, or buying from charitable used stores, like Goodwill. Same reason I buy as much as I can from those stores, to avoid buying first hand clothes made in sweat shops. I can't afford to buy much fair trade clothing so that helps.
silva is offline  
#18 Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Once leather is done it can last a very, very long time.
While I'm against buying any new leather product, I can understand continuing to use what you already own, or buying from charitable used stores, like Goodwill. Same reason I buy as much as I can from those stores, to avoid buying first hand clothes made in sweat shops. I can't afford to buy much fair trade clothing so that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Once leather is done it can last a very, very long time.
While I'm against buying any new leather product, I can understand continuing to use what you already own, or buying from charitable used stores, like Goodwill. Same reason I buy as much as I can from those stores, to avoid buying first hand clothes made in sweat shops. I can't afford to buy much fair trade clothing so that helps.
I do have to respect my dads choice to eat meat as he does respect mine for not eating back.

Once I go vegetarian - and if I decide for some reason I want to go back to meat-eating - can I go back if I want to?
Liquinn is offline  
#19 Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
I do have to respect my dads choice to eat meat as he does respect mine for not eating back.

Once I go vegetarian - and if I decide for some reason I want to go back to meat-eating - can I go back if I want to?
Hi Liquinn and welcome to the forum. You have a lot of questions, which is normal for someone considering vegetarianism, or for someone who has a loved one going veggie.

About the leather.
Vegetarians are people who eat no meat. Some eat dairy products and/or eggs. Many vegetarians avoid gelatin, but some will eat it. It depends upon the individual. They can wear leather if they want.

Vegans avoid eating, wearing, or using animal products of all kinds as much as possible. This includes leather, fur, wool, honey, eggs, dairy, etc. We also avoid things that exploit animals like circuses and pet stores that sell purebred pups.

As you can see, there are many different ways to be vegetarian. Some people start out vegetarian gradually, so it's not all or nothing.

My suggestion is to look up easy vegetarian recipes similar to foods you like to eat, and learn to be a good cook. Then you can save money by not eating out and buying whole foods, plus it's a skill you'll never regret having.
LedBoots is offline  
#20 Old 12-23-2015, 07:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi Liquinn and welcome to the forum. You have a lot of questions, which is normal for someone considering vegetarianism, or for someone who has a loved one going veggie.

About the leather.
Vegetarians are people who eat no meat. Some eat dairy products and/or eggs. Many vegetarians avoid gelatin, but some will eat it. It depends upon the individual. They can wear leather if they want.

Vegans avoid eating, wearing, or using animal products of all kinds as much as possible. This includes leather, fur, wool, honey, eggs, dairy, etc. We also avoid things that exploit animals like circuses and pet stores that sell purebred pups.

As you can see, there are many different ways to be vegetarian. Some people start out vegetarian gradually, so it's not all or nothing.

My suggestion is to look up easy vegetarian recipes similar to foods you like to eat, and learn to be a good cook. Then you can save money by not eating out and buying whole foods, plus it's a skill you'll never regret having.
I see. It's interesting how a vegetarian could own a few leather products (my dad bought them for me) and eat no meat. And true, it would be hard to go vegan. Thank you for your reply and your support.
LedBoots likes this.
Liquinn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off