• 3 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 7 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 3 Post By @rno
  • 2 Post By imagineaa
  • 2 Post By mackiesgirl

#1 Old 11-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Taxi driver questioning vegetarianism...

I had a strange experience earlier in a taxi home from the shops. He asked about cooking and naturally went on to meat eater or not. I said ive just begun to be vegetarian and he straight away told me i will become weak.

"not on the outside but on the inside you will be wrecking yourself"

He also started to ask me why 'killing' vegetables wasnt wrong. I told him, because they cant feel pain...he said he could prove they did. I told him that WE only feel pain because we have a brain and nerves...plants do not have brains.

Ugh ive only just begun veggie, and i have encounted this haha im not bothered by it really, im calm and strong in my convictions. Its just strange how people feel they need to 'look out for you' and try to convince you that you are wrong.

maybe it is more likely they are convincing themselves? They feel guilty...
Purp and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Woof, sounds like a long cab ride! Rest assured, you don't owe ANYONE an explanation... and a heated debate is only exciting if there's an intelligent opposing argument. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#3 Old 11-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Woof, sounds like a long cab ride! Rest assured, you don't owe ANYONE an explanation... and a heated debate is only exciting if there's an intelligent opposing argument. LOL
it was only 15 mins but felt like hours!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post
it was only 15 mins but felt like hours!
It's OK, sweetness.... You're safe now. LOL
Blobbenstein, Purp and alexis88 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#5 Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Veggie Recycler

People are ignorant. Whether it's about vegetarian diets, history, or how cell phones works (seriously, have you seen those ridiculous "time travel" memes, where they claim people in old Hollywood movies had cell phones??!!!)...I'm a voracious reader, and I certainly don't know everything, but I encounter constant frustration with people who are blatantly willfully ignorant...it's because there's this chunk of the population who never read nor research. ..they rely primarily on TV or folk wisdom for the formation of their opinions. ..these people are a blight to me, they get on my last nerve, while I'm only of average intelligence, they make me feel like Einstein walking through a crowd of illiterates...

I have had to learn to change the subject, tell people I don't want to talk about this, and to stop reacting to people on the Internet. ..because the Internet is now just as rife with ignorance as the irl general public.

It's hard. Especially when it's something you strongly care about, like being a vegetarian.

But I think we grow as humans when we learn to rise above these people mentally. I'm still very much working on how to do that.

The primary thing I have gleaned is that it's seemingly endless, and only a few here and there are actually interested in the information you offer, so why argue.

It doesn't help that we currently live in a culture where all or most opinions are called equally valid, when some are clearly more ignorant or less humane.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 11-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Vegan since 1991

In these situations, just be cool, completely calm. Respond in a way similar to this:

Taxi driver: Vegetarianism will wreck you health on the inside.

You: Nah. The American Diabetes Association recommends vegetarian diets (proof: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/). They even published their own vegetarian cookbook (http://www.shopdiabetes.org/1463-The...rgmpvegetarian ).

Taxi driver: Where did you hear that?

You: I didn't hear it. I read it. On the American Diabetes Association website.

Taxi driver: Well, a vegetarian diet might be OK if you're sick, but it won't make you strong.

You: MMA fighters Jake Shields and Mac Danzig are vegetarian.

Taxi driver: Just you watch: both of those guys will die young if they don't start eating meat.

You: Ever watch "The Price Is Right" on TV? The retired host, Bob Barker, is 90 years old. He's been a vegetarian for decades.

Taxi driver: Well, I've been eating meat my whole life, and I am healthy and strong.

You: I'm healthy and strong, too! Take care! (leave a generous tip)
Purp, Blue Gingham and alexis88 like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-30-2015 at 10:27 PM.
#7 Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

You are right that this is his guilt talking. Sounds like you did a good job handling it!
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Taxi driver: [ignorant anti-veg comments]
You: Welp no tip for you!
Purp and MadamSarcastra like this.
#9 Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

So many older guys love to tell young people, especially like young girls, the way of the world. There's no one thing that works for everybody, but at that point in my life this worked for me. I didn't feel completely grown up until I was able to say, "I am the client, you are the vendor. Try not to annoy me."
#10 Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Next time I think I'd walk home.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#11 Old 12-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I have a vegetarian family: brother 84 years, sister 82 years. Only health problems that comes with getting older. They live in their own home with their vegetarian and same age spouses .
My parents-in-law reached their 90th birthday after being vegetarian for 35 years.
Purp, LedBoots and alexis88 like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#12 Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Beanitarian

"Thanks for your help. I am all set. I refer to evidence like medical journals and scientific studies."
no whey jose and alexis88 like this.

Beanitarian.
#13 Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 PM

I think this is an old guy thing. It happens to my daughter all the time. They think they are imparting their wisdom to you. eye roll. Just look at your phone, or out the window and say "ah ha", and "hum" and" is that so". You don't really have to listen, just sound like you are. He isn't really having a conversation anyway. A conversation is a two way thing and from what you saying this isn't what was happening. Nobody listens to cabbies or cares abut their opinions so he was just spouting off and you, were unfortunately in the way.Try not to let it upset you. I've learned not to bother arguing about being a vegetarian. I know it works for me, the animals and the planet. I don't need to convince anybody.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page