Crave for meat, please help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Question Crave for meat, please help

Hi! I'm a relatively new vegetarian, and on the day I decided to become one, I got both my girlfriend and my best friend, and eventually my mother to join in. Feels really good.

I'm having some problems though. I've always had an ability to sense what my body needs, and based on that I pick the food I eat so my body is in balance. Only lately, I've been having a serious craving for meat. I'm not going to eat it though because it goes against my policies. But I sense that my body is seriously missing something in the diet, and my "sense" says I need meat.

Any idea what I might be missing out on? I do eat eggs and milk, and loads of protein in different forms. Must be some kind of vitamin. (Gonna try and find a variety of the B vitamins to stuff myself with)

By the way I'm sorry if there's already a post on this, I just can't go through 40.000 posts...If you guys know of one, please link it!

Cheers
guramannen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Hi and welcome . My guess is the most common and simplest: too few calories. Vegetarian food is less calorie dense, and is bulkier, than meat, so you get full quicker.
LedBoots is offline  
#3 Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Thank you! Feels good.
Cooking pasta right now with diverse add-ons, lets see if it helps cheers =)
LedBoots and David3 like this.
guramannen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by guramannen View Post
Hi! I'm a relatively new vegetarian, and on the day I decided to become one, I got both my girlfriend and my best friend, and eventually my mother to join in. Feels really good.

I'm having some problems though. I've always had an ability to sense what my body needs, and based on that I pick the food I eat so my body is in balance. Only lately, I've been having a serious craving for meat. I'm not going to eat it though because it goes against my policies. But I sense that my body is seriously missing something in the diet, and my "sense" says I need meat.

Any idea what I might be missing out on? I do eat eggs and milk, and loads of protein in different forms. Must be some kind of vitamin. (Gonna try and find a variety of the B vitamins to stuff myself with)

By the way I'm sorry if there's already a post on this, I just can't go through 40.000 posts...If you guys know of one, please link it!

Cheers
I understand you firmly believe your bodies cravings are from nutritional 'needs', but there's no scientific findings that 'needs' are associated with cravings. There are many non-food cravings that relate to nutritional deficiencies. Craving salty fatty foods after alcohol doesn't indicate need.
Another thing to consider, even if cravings were from 'need', why meat? Why not veg foods of similar composition? I'll tell you why, because you've been filling those cravings with meat from before you could hold your own spoon, or choose what 'food' means to you.

It's a transition. People have been raised vegetarian from birth and I don't any of them ever looked at a bird, or small mammal, and felt an urge to grab it and chow down. Not anytime recently at least! Humans have been able to comfortably live as vegans for quite some time. What hasn't been easy, is fighting to get away from the flawed thinking that enslaving animals and feeding them massive amounts of grains and water, then having to contain all the wastes, etc, etc, is the way to get our nutritional requirements. There is NOTHING 'natural' about eating meat for humans anymore, unless you live out in the woods and do everything yourself, which you obviously don't, 'cause-computer and internet...
It's about relearning what food is, what food preparation is.
It takes time and is very well worth the effort.


I've always laughed at the big chefs who say they'd be so limited at veg cooking, when nothing could be further than the truth. There's a world of unexplored options out there for veg'ns.

Here's another funny--people who say 'veg'ns have to use all kinds of seasoning to make their food taste good.' You know what? those seasonings are natural spices and herbs, AND, they're FOOD! Food which many omnis take in gel capsules nows and pay a lot for! Why wouldn't anyone use them liberally in cooking, for health and taste?
silva is offline  
#5 Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
silva is offline  
#6 Old 11-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Newbie
 
strawberrycrepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 28
You may want to up your protein and iron. Beans, lentils, and tofu are good sources of iron and protein. Try to pair it with sources of vitamin c for extra absorption.
David3 and guramannen like this.
strawberrycrepe is offline  
#7 Old 11-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,653
Like LedBoots said, not eating enough calories is a common mistake made by new vegetarians. Not eating enough calories will cause tiredness, mental fatigue, and cravings for high-calorie foods (such as meat). This mistake is easy to make, because vegetarian staple foods (beans, grains, vegetables, fruit) are so low in calories, compared to meat and high-fat dairy products.

Here's a quick calculator that will estimate how many calories you need each day. Be sure to select the appropriate options of "gain weight", "maintain weight", or "lose weight": http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...u-eat/?ref=nav

Then, just remember this simple calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of boiled beans or lentils is about 230 calories.
One cup of boiled grains or pasta is about 200 calories.
One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit is 40-100 calories.
One cup of non-starchy vegetables (spinach, kale, radishes, etc.) is 5-40 calories.
One cup of nuts or seeds is 650-1000 calories.
One tablespoon of oil is 120 calories.

Mercy For Animals has published a free, well-written Vegetarian Guide. The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
LedBoots and guramannen like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-28-2015 at 09:36 AM.
David3 is offline  
#8 Old 11-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14
 
MadamSarcastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the crotch of Michigan
Posts: 459
Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Maybe you can trick your taste buds! You could give this broth a whirl to make couscous, which you then add to whisked eggs while they begin to cook.... sprinkle in cooked couscous, all over the cooking eggs, cover, let cook through, soon you'll have a large "patty" for a couple sandwiches! I used to make it quite a bit (although I haven't had an egg in 3-4 months), just with low sodium veggie broth. The no-chicken broth was VERY authentic tasting.... I was convinced I was eating a chicken sandwich & couldn't continue. LOL

Anyhoo, here's the broth and an old, blurry photo of one of my egg/couscous sammiches (with what looks to be baby spinach & red bell pepper).... ---- I sincerely hope there's no backlash from any anti-eggers. I made a suggestion, it's tasty & filling, it's better than meat, let it go! LMAO ----

Good luck! Munch on!



guramannen likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 11-28-2015 at 11:06 AM.
MadamSarcastra is offline  
#9 Old 11-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Anyhoo, here's the broth and an old, blurry photo of one of my egg/couscous sammiches (with what looks to be baby spinach & red bell pepper).... ---- I sincerely hope there's no backlash from any anti-eggers. I made a suggestion, it's tasty & filling, it's better than meat, let it go! LMAO ----
No-one should have a problem with this; this section of the forum is the Vegetarian Support Forum, not the Vegan Support Forum.
MadamSarcastra likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#10 Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14
 
MadamSarcastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the crotch of Michigan
Posts: 459
Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
I honestly didn't notice which support forum this was, but WHEW!! (still looking over shoulder... LMAO)
David3 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
MadamSarcastra is offline  
#11 Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
My guess is either just calories themselves (as in, just eat more!) Or iron. I think iron deficiency is the biggest cause of fatigue, coldness, nervousness, and meat cravings. ..after simply just not eating enough nutritious food.

Eggs have plenty of B12, so I doubt it's B vitamins if you aren't vegan or almost vegan.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#12 Old 11-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by guramannen View Post
Thank you! Feels good.
Cooking pasta right now with diverse add-ons, lets see if it helps cheers =)
You might want to switch to quinoa or whole grain pasta if you eat a lot of pasta, to get more nutrients.

Aside from upping iron sources (beans, tofu, peanut butter, greens)...you simply may be having PSYCHOLOGICAL cravings for familiar foods...that's a good reason for buying faux meats like chkn, veggie burgers, vegetarian sausage, or smart dogs...and if you don't have a lot of experience cooking, you could get pre-made veggie frozen meals, like from Amys.
guramannen likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#13 Old 11-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I understand you firmly believe your bodies cravings are from nutritional 'needs', but there's no scientific findings that 'needs' are associated with cravings. There are many non-food cravings that relate to nutritional deficiencies. Craving salty fatty foods after alcohol doesn't indicate need.
Another thing to consider, even if cravings were from 'need', why meat? Why not veg foods of similar composition? I'll tell you why, because you've been filling those cravings with meat from before you could hold your own spoon, or choose what 'food' means to you.

It's a transition. People have been raised vegetarian from birth and I don't any of them ever looked at a bird, or small mammal, and felt an urge to grab it and chow down. Not anytime recently at least! Humans have been able to comfortably live as vegans for quite some time. What hasn't been easy, is fighting to get away from the flawed thinking that enslaving animals and feeding them massive amounts of grains and water, then having to contain all the wastes, etc, etc, is the way to get our nutritional requirements. There is NOTHING 'natural' about eating meat for humans anymore, unless you live out in the woods and do everything yourself, which you obviously don't, 'cause-computer and internet...
It's about relearning what food is, what food preparation is.
It takes time and is very well worth the effort.


I've always laughed at the big chefs who say they'd be so limited at veg cooking, when nothing could be further than the truth. There's a world of unexplored options out there for veg'ns.

Here's another funny--people who say 'veg'ns have to use all kinds of seasoning to make their food taste good.' You know what? those seasonings are natural spices and herbs, AND, they're FOOD! Food which many omnis take in gel capsules nows and pay a lot for! Why wouldn't anyone use them liberally in cooking, for health and taste?

Actually fatty food absorbs alcohol better and salt cravings can be because alcohol makes you pee a lot (so you lose salt, and electrolytes, just like with sweating) I m sorry to correct you, but there are very good reasons why a person craves fat and salt after drinking too much.

There has been research done on what makes people crave "junk" foods, and there are conversion charts of what craving salt, sugar or fat means (or a variety of things it could mean)...people who have nutrient deficiency will start eating dirt, dog food and other things because they are craving something they can't pinpoint, like minerals, or in some cases just calories.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#14 Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 76
Sometimes I feel the same way in some aspects - like something is missing but you get over it.

I never 'crave' meat but I do sometimes feel, for example when making egg's or egg's and cheese, that I should be placing something with it (as I used to do).

I don't know if that will ever stop I'm sure it will, for now some of the veggy burgers seem to work.

I've tried veggy bacon and it was terrible, just my opinion I'm sure there is a decent brand out there but what I have access to is pretty disgusting and it on top of that it has to be used very quickly (so storing it isn't really an option).

You need to find what suits you, and I recommend maybe trying a meal and than exercising, you may find these feelings go away (that is just my take on the situation though).
highlyoriginal is offline  
#15 Old 11-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
I have never craved meat, but if I did, I would think about it from the animal's perspective:

Name:  chickens.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  36.5 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	farm-animals.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	12841

Name:  article-1360166-00A6F5D71000044C-461_468x368.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  88.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	goats-191788_640.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	12857
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#16 Old 11-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
Sometimes I feel the same way in some aspects - like something is missing but you get over it.

I never 'crave' meat but I do sometimes feel, for example when making egg's or egg's and cheese, that I should be placing something with it (as I used to do).

I don't know if that will ever stop I'm sure it will, for now some of the veggy burgers seem to work.

I've tried veggy bacon and it was terrible, just my opinion I'm sure there is a decent brand out there but what I have access to is pretty disgusting and it on top of that it has to be used very quickly (so storing it isn't really an option).

You need to find what suits you, and I recommend maybe trying a meal and than exercising, you may find these feelings go away (that is just my take on the situation though).
This sounds more like habit than craving...you can add mushrooms, herbs or other veggies to an egg and cheese omelet, and serve with a side of potatoes and toast or muffin. Add a piece of veggie sausage and tomato slices and you have a full country breakfast.
highlyoriginal likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#17 Old 11-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
This sounds more like habit than craving...you can add mushrooms, herbs or other veggies to an egg and cheese omelet, and serve with a side of potatoes and toast or muffin. Add a piece of veggie sausage and tomato slices and you have a full country breakfast.
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning for my breakfast - I'll do potatoes, toast, and an egg white omelet with a couple veggies.
Thalassa4 likes this.
highlyoriginal is offline  
#18 Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning for my breakfast - I'll do potatoes, toast, and an egg white omelet with a couple veggies.
Cool! If you do cheddar, onion and green pepper with tomatoes or salsa, it's more Spanish, but you can go French with herbs de Provence, goat cheese or swiss, mushrooms and spinach. You can go pretty diverse with veggie omelets.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#19 Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Wink Yey

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
Sometimes I feel the same way in some aspects - like something is missing but you get over it.

I never 'crave' meat but I do sometimes feel, for example when making egg's or egg's and cheese, that I should be placing something with it (as I used to do).

I don't know if that will ever stop I'm sure it will, for now some of the veggy burgers seem to work.

I've tried veggy bacon and it was terrible, just my opinion I'm sure there is a decent brand out there but what I have access to is pretty disgusting and it on top of that it has to be used very quickly (so storing it isn't really an option).

You need to find what suits you, and I recommend maybe trying a meal and than exercising, you may find these feelings go away (that is just my take on the situation though).
Cool! I've found a brand here that's just awesome. It's called "Hälsans Kök" (translates to "Health's Kitchen"). All the stuff they make tastes authentic. I never tasted horrible veggie bacon because it smelled like plastic and I wouldn't stuff myself with it Mixing this brands veggie bacon into a sause makes it taste like the real deal. Amg! We got some good stuff in Sweden.
highlyoriginal likes this.
guramannen is offline  
#20 Old 11-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Thumbs up Wow

I'm not sure how to make this go back to everyone but I want to thank you for your replies, wow, many of them have been very helpful and given me directions on where I can go. I'm going to try the calories solution first, eating more nuts and seeds.

I would like to specify too that, these "cravings" I'm talking about are not the same feeling as when you lust for candy. It's more of a sensation I've always had and a way for my body to communicate what it needs. It doesn't only send meat, but it sends broccoli and a variety of things, some of which I've rarely had
I think my body is just telling me I need the stuff that the body is used to getting from the meat. Thats where you guys come in and you've been very helpful! Thank you, I'll continue to check up on this discussion =)
highlyoriginal likes this.
guramannen is offline  
#21 Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Talking thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Like LedBoots said, not eating enough calories is a common mistake made by new vegetarians. Not eating enough calories will cause tiredness, mental fatigue, and cravings for high-calorie foods (such as meat). This mistake is easy to make, because vegetarian staple foods (beans, grains, vegetables, fruit) are so low in calories, compared to meat and high-fat dairy products.

Here's a quick calculator that will estimate how many calories you need each day. Be sure to select the appropriate options of "gain weight", "maintain weight", or "lose weight": http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...u-eat/?ref=nav

Then, just remember this simple calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of boiled beans or lentils is about 230 calories.
One cup of boiled grains or pasta is about 200 calories.
One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit is 40-100 calories.
One cup of non-starchy vegetables (spinach, kale, radishes, etc.) is 5-40 calories.
One cup of nuts or seeds is 650-1000 calories.
One tablespoon of oil is 120 calories.

Mercy For Animals has published a free, well-written Vegetarian Guide. The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
That's some really good stuff, thank you!
guramannen is offline  
#22 Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
I've tried veggy bacon and it was terrible, just my opinion I'm sure there is a decent brand out there but what I have access to is pretty disgusting and it on top of that it has to be used very quickly (so storing it isn't really an option).
Have you tried Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips? They're frozen, so they last a long time, and I think they taste--and smell--amazing. My mom, who was omni for 80+ years before turning vegetarian, absolutely loved having BLT sandwiches made with them. Me too!
highlyoriginal likes this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#23 Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Have you tried Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips? They're frozen, so they last a long time, and I think they taste--and smell--amazing. My mom, who was omni for 80+ years before turning vegetarian, absolutely loved having BLT sandwiches made with them. Me too!
I haven't seen those in the store but they do look good. The ones I had were down right digusting, the texture, flavor, and appearance was terrible. They too were frozen but so stuck together I had to heat them all at once then I tried putting them in the freezer again and they tasted even worse - I had no way of using it all up within a short time so I thought re-freezing would work. I wont be doing that again.

Thanks for the link I will look for those, they look fairly good! I think I could cut out some carbs with those bacon strips if I use them for breakfast - I tend to use a lot of wraps and bread where I could be using the bacon stripes with egg whites on a plate with no bread. So thank you
highlyoriginal is offline  
#24 Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Lightbulb Finally figured it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Have you tried Morningstar Farms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
You might want to switch to quinoa or whole grain pasta if you eat a lot of pasta, to get more nutrients.
By the way, amm.. if anywone sees this, I think I figured out what my problem was. It wasn't calories or protein which I get an abundance of now as a vegetarian. I also tried taking B12 pills but they made no difference. It's the fat. The problem was solved once I realized this and started making sauces for most meals, and I no longer have any cravings or anything similar for meat.

Thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful
guramannen is offline  
#25 Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Actually fatty food absorbs alcohol better and salt cravings can be because alcohol makes you pee a lot (so you lose salt, and electrolytes, just like with sweating) I m sorry to correct you, but there are very good reasons why a person craves fat and salt after drinking too much.

There has been research done on what makes people crave "junk" foods, and there are conversion charts of what craving salt, sugar or fat means (or a variety of things it could mean)...people who have nutrient deficiency will start eating dirt, dog food and other things because they are craving something they can't pinpoint, like minerals, or in some cases just calories.
This is interesting.

The morning after an evening's drinking/partying (well more around 'brunch' time), I will crave and cook myself up a hearty pan of stir-fried brown rice & veggies. I toss some toasted sunflower seeds in there too for good measure. I don't hold back on the oil so it has that somewhat greasy 'takeaway' mouth feel and I use plenty of salty soya sauce to season. I'll have a good portion of it, probably with second helpings. And yet most days I don't really do all that much in the way of breakfast and can comfortably skip it (if I don't check myself). But the morning after an evening's drinking my appetite is totally different to normal.
Spudulika is offline  
#26 Old 01-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
This is interesting.

The morning after an evening's drinking/partying (well more around 'brunch' time), I will crave and cook myself up a hearty pan of stir-fried brown rice & veggies. I toss some toasted sunflower seeds in there too for good measure. I don't hold back on the oil so it has that somewhat greasy 'takeaway' mouth feel and I use plenty of salty soya sauce to season. I'll have a good portion of it, probably with second helpings. And yet most days I don't really do all that much in the way of breakfast and can comfortably skip it (if I don't check myself). But the morning after an evening's drinking my appetite is totally different to normal.
Absolutely! Greasy, fatty foods are a necessity after a night of heavy drinking for me, too. I particularly like fried potatoes.
Spudulika and Thalassa4 like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#27 Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
Buy soy meat!! What location are you in?
mysesamesnacks is offline  
#28 Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by guramannen View Post
By the way, amm.. if anywone sees this, I think I figured out what my problem was. It wasn't calories or protein which I get an abundance of now as a vegetarian. I also tried taking B12 pills but they made no difference. It's the fat. The problem was solved once I realized this and started making sauces for most meals, and I no longer have any cravings or anything similar for meat.

Thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful
Cool!

Yeah I wonder how low fat vegans do it. I just re-watched Forks Over Knives, and looked up some of the recipes. ..which would be fine for some meals, but no oil or Earth Balance, ever? I know they use nut cheeses, and avacado, but the lack of oil thing puzzles me. Though I guess I'd try it if someone said I'd die otherwise, which seemed to be the case with many people in the documentary.

Maybe it just takes time to adjust. Maybe someday. But yeah the fat thing, indeed.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#29 Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
Yeah, I put peanut butter in a lot of my rice dishes. Nuts and avacados are wonderful!
Gita is offline  
#30 Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Cool!

Yeah I wonder how low fat vegans do it. I just re-watched Forks Over Knives, and looked up some of the recipes. ..which would be fine for some meals, but no oil or Earth Balance, ever? I know they use nut cheeses, and avacado, but the lack of oil thing puzzles me. Though I guess I'd try it if someone said I'd die otherwise, which seemed to be the case with many people in the documentary.

Maybe it just takes time to adjust. Maybe someday. But yeah the fat thing, indeed.
I think if I had heart attacks and cancer and all the other stuff, I would omit the oils and fats. If it is a choice between dying and not eating fat, I would go for the not eating fats. I eat limited oils and fats right now because I want to drop some weight. Limited means a few times per week I fry some potatoes, have some peanutbutter and nuts, or avacados. I am still not eating as much fat as a meat eater who eats cheese, milk, meat every meal. (It is also a different kind of fat, with a higher Omega 3 to 6 ratio, so it is actually necessary in your diet)
Gita is offline  
Reply

Tags
craving , meat alternative , nutrients , vitamin b

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off